Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #57

Well, lets analyze this coral specimen...

Remember, my Averages are 70 for the HP stat and 80 for the non-HP stats:
    -Corsola's HP is subpar, bordering on bad. Base 55 won't get much HP back from Regenerator Ability, even when at the 314 maximum (104 per switch-out isn't bad, but it isn't great, especially with traps to whittle you down upon entering).
    -Corsola's Attack is 55 and Sp.Atk is 65. Yecchh...not much to go on, even with Hustle for your Physicals. However, Corsola gets a rather respectable Movepool to keep an opponent guessing...if they are dumb enough to let Corsola stay healthy.
    -Corsola's Defense and Sp.Def are both 85. My interest has been piqued. What was that? Quad-weak to Grass, Weak to Ground, Fighting, and Electric. Well...could've been worse...oh, wait...Ground, Electric, and Fighting are common Move Types.
    -Corsola's Speed is 35. Not bad for Trick Room, but every other thing about Corsola screams "NOT-AN-ATTACKER!!!" like a wimp getting pummeled.

*sigh* At least you can play Status Effects better in a Trick Room via Scald, Swagger, and Toxic, trap with Stealth Rock, and gain a Sp.Def boost from Sandstorm, Corsola. You've got nothing-much else...

no offeance... but corsola is one of my least favorite pokemon. it can barley hold itself against something like a weezing. And weezings are horrible

Corsola is definitely not the first thing I think of when the terms "Water type, Bulky, and Gen 2" come to mind... I remember trying to use one sooo long before I finally gave up on it...
    Anyways, if you reeeeeeaaaly wanna use it, then use a focus sash + mirror coat set........

Go Quagsire!!!

Sandstorm Tank

Corsola@Leftovers
    Calm - Natural Cure - 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Sp.Atk
    -Recover
    -Scald
    -Protect
    -Mirror Coat

This Corsola in sand is designed to be a special wall that can use Mirror Coat multiple times. Thanks to Sand, Corsola can take hits from the likes of Reuniclus and Magnezone and deal fatal damage with Mirror Coat. Recover will bring your HP back up and Protect can stall for Leftovers recovery and Sandstorm damage. Scald is your other offensive move of choice, capable of Burning and crippling physical attackers hoping to work around Mirror Coat rebounds. Natural Cure will take care of any status you catch, provided you aren't the last one on your team.

Gravity + Trick Room

Corsola@Expert Belt/Rindo Berry
    Brave - Hustle - 252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def - 0 Spe IV
    -Stone Edge/Rock Blast/Head Smash
    -Earthquake
    -Sucker Punch/Icicle Spear
    -Sucker Punch/Return/Spike Cannon/Explosion

This Corsola needs both Gravity and Trick Room to do anything significant, but the payoff is incredible. Corsola has a surprising amount of physical options on the Hustle set, thanks to the boost in PP to Icicle Spear and Spike Cannon. Stone Edge will be your main STAB, as it will have 100% accuracy in Gravity even with Hustle. Rock Blast is weaker, but it can be just as strong if you get all five hits and is handy for breaking Subs. Head Smash is the most brutal STAB in existence, but Corsola will suffer greatly. Best way to make use of the limited turns of Gravity/Trick Room.

Earthquake will be another painful move under Gravity, as nothing can evade it now. Sucker Punch is your priority move and the strongest in the game, next to Extremespeed. Icicle Spear nets you a lot more coverage though, nailing Grass Types. With Stone Edge and Earthquake, you get total coverage of every type in the game. Return is a Normal STAB that is stronger than Spike Cannon, even with all five hits, but it won't break subs like Spike Cannon can. Explosion is the last ditch effort before Gravity or Trick Room goes down.

Mixed Set for Trick Room
    Stats: Brave/Quiet, Split attack stats, rest HP
    Item: Not going to help much, but I'd say Expert Belt, Lum Berry, or Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure/Regenerator
    Moves: Scald, Rock Slide, 2 of (Stealth Rock, Toxic, Ice Beam, Swagger, Earth Power/EQ)

Basically, get into a Trick Room, serve up some Status Effects as needed, and get out when the Trick Room expires, you meet something that you know will KO you, or if your Ability would really help in your situation. Not much else you can do except hax your way out with this set...

Sorry for the double-post, but is it me, or are our discussions on the PotW getting shorter? Do people not care about a certain week's feature, or are they just trying to find something we already missed?

Gothitelle narrowly had a 4th page of discussion and Corsola barely has 2 pages since Sunday...it's Thursday as I post this. Is Corsola too unusable to deserve this crap? It has issues, yes, but enough to deserve this little of a discussion? I'm willing to request Serebii.net hold out on PotW: Corsola for 2 more weeks just to get some decent feedback on this far-under-utilized Pokemon (I won't, but I'm willing to and crazy enough to do it).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Sorry for the double-post, but is it me, or are our discussions on the PotW getting shorter? Do people not care about a certain week's feature, or are they just trying to find something we already missed?

Gothitelle narrowly had a 4th page of discussion and Corsola barely has 2 pages since Sunday...it's Thursday as I post this. Is Corsola too unusable to deserve this crap? It has issues, yes, but enough to deserve this little of a discussion? I'm willing to request Serebii.net hold out on PotW: Corsola for 2 more weeks just to get some decent feedback on this far-under-utilized Pokemon (I won't, but I'm willing to and crazy enough to do it).
    Corsola and Castform are crap pokes, which many people won't waste time posting about. Same for Gothitelle, at least until its Dream World is released.

And besides, what can you really say about Corsola? Generic defensive set?

Well most people might look at Corsola and think "No," and not post. If the RNG got a popular Overused or Uber Pokémon, then everyone would want to give their input on it.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Corsola is kinda trapped within the same tier as Clampearl and Cradily...those two alone are able to outclass corsola in either it's offensive or defensive roles... This fact alone is reason enough to deter people from wanting to waste the time trying to figure out what this lil rocky pink rock with an inferiority complex could possibly want to attempt to do

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Corsola and Castform are crap pokes, which many people won't waste time posting about. Same for Gothitelle, at least until its Dream World is released.

And besides, what can you really say about Corsola? Generic defensive set?
    Until they actually try to go outside of the "Standard Tier" and find themselves lost, I agree with you on Castform, Gothitelle, and Corsola. Plus, I've said all I really could about Corsola. I can't really say what it can actually counter, nor do I have time to list its own counters.

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    Well most people might look at Corsola and think "No," and not post. If the RNG got a popular Overused or Uber Pokémon, then everyone would want to give their input on it.
    I agree we're getting shafted by the RNG, but at least try to find more (or just something) to say about the lower-used Pokemon. Pokemon like Delibird and Corsola fill a special niche - Insults to Opponents Who Lose to Them.

While not very usable, you can at least try something with Corsola. Status-inflicting damage Moves are possible, dual screens, Aqua Ring + Ingrain, Curse + Mirror Coat (an odd combo that encourages Specials until Mirror Coat hits, plus Curse is great for Trick Room), and more, but Corsola can't really get away with much.

Expect nothing good if you see Corsola. It's something your opponent can use to bait Grass Moves for a Sap Sipper like Azumarill, Stantler, or Girafarig. Being part of the "Supporting Cast" is a great asset for Corsola as it can't do much on its own...

Until they actually try to go outside of the "Standard Tier" and find themselves lost, I agree with you on Castform, Gothitelle, and Corsola. Plus, I've said all I really could about Corsola. I can't really say what it can actually counter, nor do I have time to list its own counters.
    Except that even in NU Corsola / Castform / Gothitelle suck.

Except that even in NU Corsola / Castform / Gothitelle suck.
    This.

Well, I'm not sure about Gothitelle, I'm inexperienced with NU, but you're definitely right about Corsola/Castform.

Contrary to popular belief, NU actually isn't teeming full of Unown and Luvdisc.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I think people don't post because corsola is too weak and can't do anything interesting that someone else can't do.. It is like NFE pokemon that a fully evolved one.

if talking about NU... like said before NU isn't just magikarp and feebass there are lot's of strong pokemons there: rotom-S (top OU pokemon stats but bad typing/special move), sawk(pretty good with sturdy), mespirit, regigigas,caracosta(shell smash), gigalith,golem,misdravious, khangastan,rampardos and so on.
    So NU isn't LC where pokemons are really weak but it is full of powerful pokemons so corsola can't wall forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Sala-imence View Post
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Bold (High Def, Low Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 106 Def / 146 SDef
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Moveset:
    - Toxic
    - Aqua Ring
    - Ingrain
    - Protect

This set is great. Just set up the healing moves, and toxic. Then watch the fireworks. Regenerator is outclassed by all your healing moves. So Natural Cure is best here. Its the status problems you want to avoid. Like sleep.

TOXIC: Gets opponent's health down while you heal.

AQUA RING: You gain health each turn, useful with protect.

INGRAIN: If you are positive that you will defeat the opponent then ingrain works well. Especially with protect. People will want to switch you out due to how much you heal each turn. But this roots you to the ground.

PROTECT: Makes all the other moves awesome. You get a free turn of healing with ingrain, aqua ring and leftovers, plus the opponent is damaged some more.
    The main problem is that Ingrain clashes on practicality with Natural Cure. If you are counting on Natural Cure to cure your status then you can't use Ingrain as Ingrain prevents you from switching. It also clashes for the same reason with Regenerator.

Anyways, we all agree Corsola basically sucks, although I must admit now looking through its movepool it gets quite a bit more moves than I expected. Confuse Ray, Calm Mind, Recover, Refresh, Explosion, Head Smash, Shadow Ball, it does have some sort of factor in it that lets it have a wider movepool than the generic water movepool or the generic rock movepool, a bit like how Octillery gets Psychic, Flamethrower, Thunder Wave, and Bullet Seed. It can't use most of these moves in any effective way, but it does make Corsola quite valuable as a breeding chain pass-through in between the Water 1 and 3 groups. Without Corsola a lot of other breeding combination on other pokémon might not have been possible.

CorsoHAX @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Impish/Careful nature
    252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp.Def
    -Confuse Ray
    -Body Slam
    -Aqua Ring
    -Recover

This thing has hax written all over it. It also needs to come from 3rd gen as Body Slam is a 3rd gen only tutor move. Fortunately you can also breed Confuse ray on it in 3rd gen from Lapras, Mantine, or Cradily so that doesn't clash. It still clashes with Regenerator so Natural Cure has to be used. Body Slam paralyses the foe, making them less likely to move. Confuse Ray makes your foes switch or hit themselves. Aqua Ring, Recover, and Leftovers should keep you sort of healthy. Unfortunately Lanturn does this better as it gets Thunder Wave as a reliable paralyser and Waterfall to make a sort of Dunsparce-like Para-fusion-flinch assault.

Cursola @ Leftovers
    Impish nature
    Trait: Hustle
    252 HP, 128 Atk, 128 Def
    -Curse
    -Stealth Rock / Mirror Coat
    -Explosion
    -Recover

Again gimmicky. But using Corsola is gimmicky by definition. This is suicide Corsola. Lead your foe into believing that you are running a curse wall by using curse, recover, and lefties, and then suddenly after a few boosts unleash the true potential by exploding right in their face. You might actually take a fragile foe down (like catching a Sceptile switching in by surprise). Works best with Trick Room support.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 4th February 2012 at 12:59 AM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Sigilyph is awesome! Please, let Sigilyph be the POTW!
    Sigilyph can learn amazing moves such as Mirror Move and Ice Beam. My Sigilyph knows the former. Sigilyph can have Magic Guard, protecting it from any form of damage, other than damage through attacks.

Credit to Shadow♠ for the pins
    Planned New Black Team: ,, or ,,,

Put this in your signature...
    ...if you want Hoenn Remakes...
    ...This was started by KirbyRider...

Corsola's cute.

Mirror Coat
    Focus Sash
    Brave
    Regenerator
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spd

Mirror Coat
    Earthquake
    Explosion
    Stone Edge

This set requires good predicting skills. Focus Sash is a sure thing to keep you from fainting. If your'e hit with like a SolarBeam, Energy Ball, or some kind of strong Special Move, you can use Mirror Coat and pretty much kill them. Then you can either hit hard with a series of powerful moves. With Eqrthquake you have almost a third of the types covered then with Stone Edge you can hit Flying Types, annoying Pokemon with Levitate and provide more coverage. If you feel like it, Explosion always puts a dent into a player's team and you're not gonna get much use out of Corsola. That is unless you switch out and get 33.3% of your healt hback with tis ability Regenrator. This set needs Trick Room so your Corsola can outrun anything. Otherwise, you won't have to to land another hit before you faint if you use Mirror Coat.

Maybe this to be a (sort of) offensively threatening tank:

Tankola
    Corsola@Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    252 HP/190 Atk/62 SAtk
    Naughty/Hasty Nature
    -Recover
    -Surf
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake

This tank is focused more on offense than defense. I don't really know RU/NU that well, but this seems good. Max HP for survivability, Natural Cure over Regenerator because it already has Recover and status will cripple it otherwise. More Attack Ev's than SAtk because this Corsola is more inclined to physical moves.
    Bisharp is my loyal knight. Fear him.

Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRider View Post
    Sigilyph is awesome! Please, let Sigilyph be the POTW!
    Sigilyph can learn amazing moves such as Mirror Move and Ice Beam. My Sigilyph knows the former. Sigilyph can have Magic Guard, protecting it from any form of damage, other than damage through attacks.
    It's random so you can't pick pokemon.

Corsola have the moveset to make a crazy offensive Pokemon, but hilariously bad offensive stats to pair it with.

Corsola have the moveset to make a crazy offensive Pokemon, but hilariously bad offensive stats to pair it with.
    That said, Corsola does very well on offense if its Moves carry added effects, hence Scald on so many sets, Body Slam for Paralysis, Icy Wind and Bulldoze for Speed support over Ice Beam and EQ's damage, Swagger, Toxic, etc., etc., etc.

Personal Moveset
    Regenerator (w/ Wise Glasses/Quick Claw) / Hussle (w/ Wide Lens/Life Orb)
    Scald
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Head Smash
    Earth Power/Earthquake/Bulldoze
    Ice Beam/Blizzard

Choice Specs
    Ability: Hussle
    Scald
    Power Gem
    Earth Power
    Ice Beam

Partners:
    Safeguard/Heal Bell/Heal Pulse-users
    Water Absorb-users if you use Surf instead of Scald
    Levitate/Magnet Rise/Air BalloonTelekinesis-Users if use Earthquake/Bulldoze

Countering:
    Mirror Coat and Storm Drain helps.
    Generally any high-sp defense pokemon can do Grass/Electric/Fighting/Ground-type attacks like will do.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 4th February 2012 at 2:56 PM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

That said, Corsola does very well on offense if its Moves carry added effects, hence Scald on so many sets, Body Slam for Paralysis, Icy Wind and Bulldoze for Speed support over Ice Beam and EQ's damage, Swagger, Toxic, etc., etc., etc.
    Even so, you won't usually want to use more than one or two offensive moves on a Corsola. It's hard to pull an offensive Corsola because you won't really do that much damage no matter what, and with offensive Corsola you aren't investing as much into bulk, which already isn't that great for a Rock-type/Bulky Water, so defensive is really the way to go, and even there it kind of struggles. And those Speed drops won't really matter since Corsola is incredibly slow. Although a Trick Room team might welcome a Corsola if it's defensive.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Fun Fact.. Hustle Corsola Head Smash hits 30% harder than Tyranitar Stone Edge.. with an amazing 64% accuracy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12