Thread: Official Pokemon Tournaments, An Opinion

Default Official Pokemon Tournaments, An Opinion

Im far from a newb, but not thee MOST proficient player either, when it comes to competitive Pokemon battles. Knocking off the dust from my 3DS, I entered the February International Challenge. My first time doing this.

Apparently i didn't read carefully to the banned list of Pokemon, just assuming that all Legendaries were on it. WRONG. And that's my fault. But its such a shame that the Legionaries that are legal are also EXTREMELY abused. It wasn't a matter of "I wonder what team I'll be facing" rather it became "I wonder what order THIS SAME TEAM will come out in." I understand the competitiveness to win, but to throw your standards out the window & be a sell-out cornball who fails to differentiate from the pack? Why play?

I remember finally getting to the final Elite Four member in my Silver Version, and after beating Karen, she says "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on — — the Champion is waiting."
    A quote that stayed with me for years. And so that's what I do, I battle using teams of Pokemon that I like or find interesting. It keeps it fun. Opposed to dreading ANOTHER Landorus/Thunderus/Terrakion, etc.
    But to each his own. Its sad when the fun is taken out of something you love. Perhaps why the Official Tournaments are a joke as well (or so I read). What do you think?

PJ
    FC: 0705-4738-8199 (OR)

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetBomb614 View Post
    Im far from a newb, but not thee MOST proficient player either, when it comes to competitive Pokemon battles. Knocking off the dust from my 3DS, I entered the February International Challenge. My first time doing this.

Apparently i didn't read carefully to the banned list of Pokemon, just assuming that all Legendaries were on it. WRONG. And that's my fault. But its such a shame that the Legionaries that are legal are also EXTREMELY abused. It wasn't a matter of "I wonder what team I'll be facing" rather it became "I wonder what order THIS SAME TEAM will come out in." I understand the competitiveness to win, but to throw your standards out the window & be a sell-out cornball who fails to differentiate from the pack? Why play?

I remember finally getting to the final Elite Four member in my Silver Version, and after beating Karen, she says "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on — — the Champion is waiting."
    A quote that stayed with me for years. And so that's what I do, I battle using teams of Pokemon that I like or find interesting. It keeps it fun. Opposed to dreading ANOTHER Landorus/Thunderus/Terrakion, etc.
    But to each his own. Its sad when the fun is taken out of something you love. Perhaps why the Official Tournaments are a joke as well (or so I read). What do you think?

The Karen speech is the biggest fallacy in the franchise, what if your favorite pokemon are the box legends, palliative phallic design aside all of them look improbably cool. It's not just about want to win with my waifu eevee, it's about fighting with what you want. And let's be honest some take a liking at a successful high reward low risk pokemon after winning with it a lot.

Never take the Karen speech seriously.
    Are we stylish yet?

sometimes good stuff happens when you wait for them
    Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664

I kind of agree with OP when it comes to official tournaments. Because there is only one metagame everyone uses the same few broken pokemon. This is primarily why I don't play VGC. Sure, some use a favorite or two (see Sejun Park and his pachirisu), but it's nigh on impossible to win without the same broken pokemon everyone else uses. I'm not necessarily talking about legendaries but the mega kangas and aegislashes.
    I really should get a real sig...

This didn't need a thread.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |