Page 255 of 301 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,375 of 7511

Thread: Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Why is Kangaskhan hatched from the egg with its baby already in it's pouch? That's just very bizarre!
    Kagaskhan needs a pre-evo. They can't justify the situation of it hatching from an egg with its baby already with her.
    Cos I would just assume that baby is just part of her body, like an extra limb. Just like how Doduo has two heads.

The Pickpocket ability in general for me. While it seems a good idea, in the competitive environment it is only good if you use a comsumable item, which most users of it require a life orb for extra damage, or a choice item of some kind.
    I won't even mention how useful it is in game Mr.LetsGiveItemsBackToTheOpponentAfterABattle. The only other use it has after that is stealing items from Pokemon in the wild, which Frisk-Thief users do much better.
    3DS Friend Code - 4356-0021-1824
    Safari Type - Bug
    Pokemon - Beautifly, Combee, Heracross

I don't get the rules surrounding how ground moves don't hit flying or levitating pokemon.

Okay, yes, moves like Dig, Magnitude, Earth Power, Fissure and Earthquake missing those pokemon makes perfect sense, but what about moves like Mud Shot, Mud Bomb, Bone Club, Bonemerang or Sand Tomb?

Looking at the in-game descriptions of these moves, Mud Shot and Mud Bomb work on the princible of hurling a glob of mud at the opponent, not much different to how sludge bomb or rock throw work, yet they won't hit a flying type. Bone Club is hitting hitting the opponent with a bone, similar to Slash and Bonemerang is throwing a bone at the opponent, again similar to rock throw. Drill Run is just throwing yourself at the opponent while spinning like a drill. And Sand Tomb is described as being essentially like Sandstorm, only it traps the opponent. Sandstorm can hurt a flying type, but sand tomb cannot.

That these moves cannot hit a flying or levitating pokemon does not make the slightest bit of sense!

What makes things worse is that these moves can still hit pokemon like Beedrill, Dustox, Venomoth, Metang and Magneton, despite the fact that they clearly should not be able to, regardless of their respective type or ability.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    I don't get the rules surrounding how ground moves don't hit flying or levitating pokemon.

Okay, yes, moves like Dig, Magnitude, Earth Power, Fissure and Earthquake missing those pokemon makes perfect sense, but what about moves like Mud Shot, Mud Bomb, Bone Club, Bonemerang or Sand Tomb?

Looking at the in-game descriptions of these moves, Mud Shot and Mud Bomb work on the princible of hurling a glob of mud at the opponent, not much different to how sludge bomb or rock throw work, yet they won't hit a flying type. Bone Club is hitting hitting the opponent with a bone, similar to Slash and Bonemerang is throwing a bone at the opponent, again similar to rock throw. Drill Run is just throwing yourself at the opponent while spinning like a drill. And Sand Tomb is described as being essentially like Sandstorm, only it traps the opponent. Sandstorm can hurt a flying type, but sand tomb cannot.
    Flying Type does not mean true flight. It means a Pokemon is less tolerant to the Electric, Ice and Rock, due to the energy used in those Moves. Their type makes them completely immune to Ground Type Moves, regardless of whether they are flying or not. This explains why Pokemon like Doduo can evade Earthquake.

~ Credit to DaisyInari for the battlecut ~
    ~ I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself ~

It is said that Cubone gets it's skull from it's dead mother but in the second episode of Pokemon Origins, Cubone is with it's "dead" mother (Marowak) and it is still wearing the skull.

I find it odd the Rhydon can learn HM03 Surf even though s/he has a 4x weakness to Water-type moves.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshwatt View Post
    I find it odd the Rhydon can learn HM03 Surf even though s/he has a 4x weakness to Water-type moves.
    Another similar thing is that Magcargo has no immunity to water type moves.
    Its unbelievable body temperature of 18.000 degrees Fahrenheit should vaporize all water attacks before they even reach it.
    Technically it should be immune to it,but instead it is 4x weak to it.

Also how the Pokedex overegzagerates things.
    And also the height of certain pokemon according to the pokedex....
    Latest shiny: 2300 eggs and 600+ FS encounters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakphoon™
    Flash Fire Typhlosion is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesurfing Snivy View Post
    Its unbelievable body temperature of 18.000 degrees Fahrenheit should vaporize all water attacks before they even reach it.

Also how the Pokedex overegzagerates things.
    And also the height of certain pokemon according to the pokedex....

Remember the Pokedex might be written by 10-11 year old children, so expect exaggerations.
    Same thing applies to Victreebel's acid. According to the Pokedex it will dissolve any, but James has been "eaten" by Victreebel on many occasions without any harm from it.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Magikarp can't surf, A racoon can.

Ok it may make sense why magikarp can't surf, But should zigzagoon be able to?

^^^ Above poster, I think pokemon can control they're dangerous stuff like poison or flames, It said in the anime that a human cannot be hurt by ponyta's flames if it is trusted, so if ponyta can control its dangerous stuff, then so can victreebel.
    My fave pokemon, You know who....MEW!

Love mew.... And there maybe peace... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyFalls View Post
    Why is Kangaskhan hatched from the egg with its baby already in it's pouch? That's just very bizarre!
    Kagaskhan needs a pre-evo. They can't justify the situation of it hatching from an egg with its baby already with her.
    Cos I would just assume that baby is just part of her body, like an extra limb. Just like how Doduo has two heads.
    The "parent" and the "child" actually comprise a single entity, as evidenced by their Japanese species name ("the Parent and Child Pokémon").

So really, you are not too far off when you say that the "child" is a part of the "parent"'s body.

Quote Originally Posted by Megahound View Post
    It is said that Cubone gets it's skull from it's dead mother but in the second episode of Pokemon Origins, Cubone is with it's "dead" mother (Marowak) and it is still wearing the skull.
    Said by the Pokédex, which can be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshwatt View Post
    Pick up a knife. Does it kill you? No.

Water itself is not like some sort of contact poison that will instakill any Rock/Ground-type. When water is used in an offensive manner that is meant to exploit a Rock/Ground-type's weakness to it, it harms it. But when a Rick/Ground-type is just touching water, nothing bad should happen, because said water is not actively being used to hurt it, just like how picking up a knife does not kill you despite your "weakness" to it.

Quote Originally Posted by epic mew View Post
    Ok it may make sense why magikarp can't surf, But should zigzagoon be able to?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG4BAcYm56w
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesurfing Snivy View Post
    Forget the water attacks with that body temp the whole planet should be vaporized.( that's how hot the sun is!)

Quote Originally Posted by WildHennaCharizard View Post
    Forget the water attacks with that body temp the whole planet should be vaporized.( that's how hot the sun is!)
    Seeing that this is true, and there are plenty Magcargos, and the Pokemon world has not been vaporized, we can safely assume that the Pokedex is exaggerating.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

That tipping does not give a recognizable reward to the player. This is basically from a standpoint of previous games where actions towards NPC's always benefitted the player in some way. It seems a strange and useless mechanic that empties money for no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrantrum View Post
    That tipping does not give a recognizable reward to the player. This is basically from a standpoint of previous games where actions towards NPC's always benefitted the player in some way. It seems a strange and useless mechanic that empties money for no benefit.
    You have to keep in mind that the Japanese game designers actually went to France when researching the game. Japanese don't tip typically and might be insulted if you offer them a tip. The French are not so shy.

It could be that the Japanese game designers left France with the impression that there are an absurd number of cafes in France and that the French are constantly asking for tips. They did that a bit with Orre as well. Orre is supposed to be the Western U.S. There are cowboys in Orre if I remember correctly. Some of the towns are worn down and nasty looking.
    I have all the DWF pokemon and a complete pokedex in black 2.

I just wish that umbreon and absol can learn punishment and night daze,
    Why does Zoroark get to learn it? I mean umbreon and absol are one of the few pure dark types.

Check Out My Shiny/Event/Legendary List Here!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Night daze is a signature move to zoroark, Punishment I don't know, But night daze is a signature move,Whereas no other pokemon can learn it, Like no other pokemon can learn roar of time or psystrike.

Bw, Even if racoons can swim, How can they carry a human on their back?

Why do pokemon turn into sharks when surfing or charizard turns into a bird when flying?
    My fave pokemon, You know who....MEW!

Love mew.... And there maybe peace... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by epic mew View Post
    Why do pokemon turn into sharks when surfing or charizard turns into a bird when flying?
    That itself doesn't make sense, but GF did that for a good reason. They didn't want to clog the game with additional overworld sprite models.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire
    3DS FC: 4296-3229-5439
    Credit to Mochi10 for the userbar/Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Crusader V View Post
    That itself doesn't make sense, but GF did that for a good reason. They didn't want to clog the game with additional overworld sprite models.
    Though that doesn't fully explain why pokémon don't look like themselves while being surfed on in the Johto reboots, which already have overworld sprite models for each pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post

That these moves cannot hit a flying or levitating pokemon does not make the slightest bit of sense!

What makes things worse is that these moves can still hit pokemon like Beedrill, Dustox, Venomoth, Metang and Magneton, despite the fact that they clearly should not be able to, regardless of their respective type or ability.
    That's certainly not the only weird thing about type immunities. For example, peck's description is "Attacks the foe with a jabbing beak" while fury attack's description is, "The foe is jabbed repeatedly with a horn or beak two to five times." Essentially, for something like spearow, those two moves would essentially be the same thing, only in different numbers of times, right? But try having a spearow peck a gastly, then try having it fury attack one. For reasons unknown, pecking it once works, but if it tries more than once and it goes right through the thing.

Furthermore, not all ghost pokémon appear to be ethereal as gastly is. Banette is a possessed toy, but slashing it won't do a thing, even if logically it should cause banette's stuffing to fall out. And even if one does assume all ghost pokémon at least can become ethereal, there is also the fact that while ghosts are susceptible to moves like bug buzz, and even particularly harmed by snarl, which would likely mean they are able to hear, they somehow aren't affected by moves like uproar, even if it's also a sound, just like bug buzz. You might say that maybe the vibrations of bug buzz damage them, or snarl harms them by scaring them, but that wouldn't explain why being soundproof would then completely prevent those moves.

In short, just about every type immunity has some scenarios that don't make sense as each type has a variety of techniques, some of which will be somewhat distanced from the generic form of attack the developers were likely thinking of when programming the type chart.
    Last edited by octoboy; 31st December 2013 at 6:40 PM.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

I don't understand how Ash takes part in so many leagues and is still the same age. Also don't get why May and Max ever existed. They bogged down the show if you ask me. It would have been better to put Dawn in earlier. I also don't get why Pokemon trainers start out so young. Is there a reason why ten year olds are out wandering the streets and woods instead of being in school. How does someone become a doctor if you have to drop out of school at such a young age. It would have been better if Ash and friends were in their twenties or thirties. That way we could get a grittier look at the Pokemon world. Maybe have Ash and Dawn doing Pokemon battles in back alleys and bars, taking out drug lords and gangsters and stuff. That would be epic, yo.

One thing I don't get is sky battles. More specifically why Hawlucha ,Farfech'd & Gengar can't battle in them, but pokemon like Haunter, Gyarados & Scyther can.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    One thing I don't get is sky battles. More specifically why Hawlucha ,Farfech'd & Gengar can't battle in them, but pokemon like Haunter, Gyarados & Scyther can.
    Hawlucha is based off a Luchador and despite their flair can not really fly as for Gengar maybe it has to much junk in the trunk...

Perhaps they are not very comfortable with these, since they prefer standing over flying. Sky Battles would make them extraordinary uncomfortable, and in order to protect Pokemon, they are banned from Sky Battles?

~ I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself ~

Not sure about Farfetch'd, but seeing as how Gengar appears to be bipedal then I assume GF decided to keep it grounded, since that is a difficult image to contemplate on IMO. It also seems that Hawlucha can't participate in Sky Battles because it's "wings" are actually used for gliding if you pay attention to the design, which starkly resembles that of a Flying Squirrel (which can't fly but glide too).

But like the previous case for Doduo/Dodrio, Hawlucha is part Flying mainly because it can maintain aviation based on it's affinities or physique.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire
    3DS FC: 4296-3229-5439
    Credit to Mochi10 for the userbar/Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner

What I don't understand is how some pokemon can be single-gendered like Tauros or Milktank...but they are still able to breed with the aid of ditto. Also, how ghost types like Haunter can lay 'corporeal' eggs at all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrantrum View Post
    Also, how ghost types like Haunter can lay 'corporeal' eggs at all really.
    Ghost Types are not ghosts. They just have ghost like abilities, but they are still very much alive.

Page 255 of 301 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265 ... LastLast