Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Generation III Type/Stats Guide

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,404

    Default Generation III Type/Stats Guide

    Because of the influx of people not knowing exactly what type covers Physical or Special Attack, I've compiled a list as a reference to serve as a reminder and guide for building sets with Physical or Special sets.

    Physical Attacking types:
    -Bug
    -Fighting
    -Flying
    -Ghost
    -Ground
    -Normal
    -Steel
    -Poison
    -Rock

    Special Attacking types:
    -Dark
    -Dragon
    -Electric
    -Fire
    -Grass
    -Ice
    -Psychic
    -Water

    THE ONE EXCEPTION is Hidden Power, because no matter what type it takes, is still classified as a Normal-Type move, and will thus do physical damage. I hope this guide serves to be of help to those making or replying to Generation III RMTs.

    BN:One Trick to remember this All the Eeveelutions types as for 4th gen, and Dragon type are Special. Also This list is didn't change from 2nd Generation games, so is applicable there too.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Here's an easy way to remember them. In Gen IV, which we most know, there's an Eevee evolution or Eeveelution for every special attack except Dragon. Everything else is Physical. That's how I remember it.

    Special thanks to Sweet May @ lightspeed graphics for the Trainer Card.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    1,949

    Default

    This is pretty good. It will surely help out people who don't remember them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    329

    Exclamation

    Good guide. This section really needed it. But I do have a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemazter3001 View Post
    THE ONE EXCEPTION is Hidden Power, because no matter what type it takes, is still classified as a Normal-Type move, and will thus do physical damage. I hope this guide serves to be of help to those making or replying to Generation III RMTs.
    I wasn't aware of this before but do you have a source? Smogon suggested special Hidden Power types on 3rd Gen special sweepers all the time back in the day.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemazter3001 View Post
    THE ONE EXCEPTION is Hidden Power, because no matter what type it takes, is still classified as a Normal-Type move, and will thus do physical damage. I hope this guide serves to be of help to those making or replying to Generation III RMTs.
    I missed this footnote the first time that I read this. I'm not so sure that I understand what you're saying there, so I'll try to interpret it to others.

    When using Hidden Power
    Hidden Power isn't calculated by its own type. It is calculated by the type in which it takes. So from your list, Hidden Power Bug is ALWAYS Physical. Hidden Power Ice is ALWAYS Special.

    There is no such thing as a Hidden Power NORMAL.

    When countering Hidden Power
    HOWEVER, since Hidden Power is technically a NORMAL-type move, Counter will always smack you around and Mirror Coat will always do nothing, regardless of the type that Hidden Power takes on.

    I hope this clarifies things.
    Last edited by Kays; 1st February 2012 at 7:07 AM.

    Special thanks to Sweet May @ lightspeed graphics for the Trainer Card.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kays View Post
    I missed this footnote the first time that I read this. I'm not so sure that I understand what you're saying there, so I'll try to interpret it to others.

    When using Hidden Power
    Hidden Power isn't calculated by its own type. It is calculated by the type in which it takes. So from your list, Hidden Power Bug is ALWAYS Physical. Hidden Power Ice is ALWAYS Special.

    There is no such thing as a Hidden Power NORMAL.

    When countering Hidden Power
    HOWEVER, since Hidden Power is technically a NORMAL-type move, Counter will always smack you around and Mirror Coat will always do nothing, regardless of the type that Hidden Power takes on.

    I hope this clarifies things.
    No, I knew what I meant when I said that. You can try an online simulator like Pokemon Online or Shoddy Battle (if it offers ADV). It's always physical.

    To clarify, they were mostly added for coverage. A Hidden Power Ice alongside a ThunderPunch offers more coverage on Sceptile or Blaziken than does Aerial ace or Earthquake. they were put on the sets to hit Pokemon super-effectively, mostly to boost the outsput damage it would cause.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemazter3001 View Post
    No, I knew what I meant when I said that. You can try an online simulator like Pokemon Online or Shoddy Battle (if it offers ADV). It's always physical.

    To clarify, they were mostly added for coverage. A Hidden Power Ice alongside a ThunderPunch offers more coverage on Sceptile or Blaziken than does Aerial ace or Earthquake. they were put on the sets to hit Pokemon super-effectively, mostly to boost the outsput damage it would cause.
    Where did you find that information? Link please.

    Special thanks to Sweet May @ lightspeed graphics for the Trainer Card.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kays View Post
    Where did you find that information? Link please.
    I found it by testing it. Here, you can download a Pokemon battle simulator. Inthe ADV OU tier, use a Sceptile persay and hit a Skarmory with Hidden Power Ice or Fire. Then do it in DPP OU. the damages don't equal, because Hidden Power is a physical move.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    336

    Default

    A simulation? Is it created by Nintendo? Otherwise, I'm won't rely on that being a source for facts. There are tons of articles, posts, etc. that disproves what you said.

    Tons of factors go into damage calculation. Stats, move base power, STAB, EV, IV, etc.

    Special thanks to Sweet May @ lightspeed graphics for the Trainer Card.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kays View Post
    A simulation? Is it created by Nintendo? Otherwise, I'm won't rely on that being a source for facts. There are tons of articles, posts, etc. that disproves what you said.

    Tons of factors go into damage calculation. Stats, move base power, STAB, EV, IV, etc.
    I agree with this post. I'm still not sure why Smogon would ever recommend a special type of Hidden Power on something with a nature that cuts the SAtk.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kays View Post
    A simulation? Is it created by Nintendo? Otherwise, I'm won't rely on that being a source for facts. There are tons of articles, posts, etc. that disproves what you said.

    Tons of factors go into damage calculation. Stats, move base power, STAB, EV, IV, etc.
    Too shallow of a spectrum from where you get sources can pollute one's expansion of knowledge. Regardless, Pokemon Online was not created by Nintendo, but has given the developers the rights to use the monsters, attacks, items, everything found in the games. It's found at the dead bottom of the main page with their own copyright. You can't just throw a © onto something and expect any legal troubles to never occur. They got permission from somewhere, meaning Nintendo pseudo-sponsors the idea of Pokemon Online.

    Regardless of the factors going into an attack, this doesn't disprove that Hidden Power's type has no effect on whether the move is Physical. Sceptile has a very useable Special Attack, and back in ADV, a base 70 move is very threatening to anything that doesn't resist it.

    Quote Originally Posted by CMD Calcio View Post
    I agree with this post. I'm still not sure why Smogon would ever recommend a special type of Hidden Power on something with a nature that cuts the SAtk.
    They do it to quite a few Pokemon. Klinklang, from BW RU, is a perfect example. Because it has such a shallow movepool, they recommend using Volt Switch, a Specially Attacking move on a Pokemon designed to abuse it's Attack Stat. Sceptile has a very shallow movepool, and the few useable moves it gets don't help coverage-wise alongside Leaf Blade and ThunderPunch, thus why it's given Hidden Power, Ice in this instant, for coverage purposes. Competative Battling is not the same as In-game Battling. In competitive, you wear the opponent down through entry hazards and chipping away at them with coverage moves, even if it happens to be less favourable in damage than another.

    If either of you still cannot agree with me, redirect this debate to PC please, mostly to avoid cluttering the thread with an argument that really doesn't support the initial guide. Feel free to test the move yourself too. You may require to actually track someone down to get an ADV battle, but I wouldn't tell you Hidden Power is Physical if I didn't know it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kays View Post
    Here's an easy way to remember them. In Gen IV, which we most know, there's an Eevee evolution or Eeveelution for every special attack except Dragon. Everything else is Physical. That's how I remember it.
    Nice. That will surely help me remember!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Nice, and the Evee method of remembering it is really helpful, thanks guys!
    Pokemon ~ Forever

    Diamond - 2323 2482 1869
    Pearl - 2709 7952 9840
    Platinum - 4556 6191 9479
    HeartGold - 3354 0403 7345
    SoulSilver - 0648 2127 8615
    Black - 2452 0990 5350
    White - 0734 1174 5350
    Black 2 - Soon!
    White 2 - Soon!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •