Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if Game Freak increased the BST of some old mons...

Quote Originally Posted by Swagga09 View Post
    No. Not all pokemon are meant to be good.

But at the same time, I'm tired of seeing the same pokemon over and over in OU, so Maybe they should consider making more pokemon better.
    That wouldnt make much difference either because people dont want a team with good pokemons they want the BEST pokemons.

Yeah, I would definatly love to see them bump up some pokemon's stats. Absol, Crawdaunt, and Zangoose would love them forever if they got a speed boost. Druddigon could use a boost in HP (Not speed, because more chances to set off rough skin are infinitly more useful than another scarfed dragon). Tauros could use a mild boost to beat Arcanine for a place in the intimidite department.
    I have officially claimed Castform, The Master of all Weather!

Monorpale is my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon so far. If you have a problem with it, you can talk to the tassel hand.

Sort of similar to my Evolution thread. On topic though, you'd need to differentiate Pokemon. For example, Pidgeot would need larger base stats than Staraptor to be just as good as it due to Staraptor having access to Close Combat. The same can be said about other Pokemon and in the end this sort of disturbs Ubers to an extent.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Sort of similar to my Evolution thread. On topic though, you'd need to differentiate Pokemon. For example, Pidgeot would need larger base stats than Staraptor to be just as good as it due to Staraptor having access to Close Combat. The same can be said about other Pokemon and in the end this sort of disturbs Ubers to an extent.
    Pidgeot's issue is movepool, like every bird that's not Swellow or Staraptor. Up his base stats and he'd be a bulkier vanilla bird than he already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestospoison View Post
    And I Kind of feel sorry for Exxegutor, maybe if it's special Defense rose some, along with better speed (mainly speed, 55 is pretty awful, not even that great in Chlorophyll), it could at least try to match up to how good it was in RBY.
    I would be interested in an Eggy comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Not completely, as it has solar power.

Imagine a choice specs on in the sun. 120 fire blast. STAB makes it 180. Sun makes it 270. Solar power makes it 405. Finally, specs would make it have 608 power. You'd have to either be immune or a politoed/t-tar in order to safely swap into that.
    Specs raises special attack, not power, last I checked. But that would probably make it even worse.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

What if Charizard had 110 speed? It would need rapid spin support, but it would be a monster in the sun.Eh...With more speed, it could go Uber though. Only counters I can think of for specs are Politoed, Tyranitar and Heatran, the latter two KOed by Focus Blast.
    um... what about...
    1. Killing Rapid spinners.
    2. How hard is sun to maintain? Very. So shut up.
    3. Dusclops says hi.
    4. Starmie also says hi.
    5. Chandelure thanks you for your donation of a Flamethrower to his rampage.
    6. Earthquaking your frail Droughtales. Not as hard as it looks.
    7. Stone edge from Magikarp cripples this thing.
    252Atk Magikarp (+Atk) Stone Edge in Sun vs 4HP/0Def Charizard (Neutral): 65% - 77% (196 - 232 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    8. Thunderbolt says hi.
    That's all I can think of... for now.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)
    i spent 10 hours REing for a shiny metagross and now its an event

Quote Originally Posted by britishlanguage View Post
    um... what about...
    1. Killing Rapid spinners.
    2. How hard is sun to maintain? Very. So shut up.
    3. Dusclops says hi.
    4. Starmie also says hi.
    252Atk Magikarp (+Atk) Stone Edge in Sun vs 4HP/0Def Charizard (Neutral): 65% - 77% (196 - 232 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    8. Thunderbolt says hi.
    That's all I can think of... for now.
    Just saying, but if Charizard were to become broken, being weak to different moves wouldn't save it from Ubers. Sun is also pretty easy to maintain if you win the weather war (really easy with Dugtrio and some previous damage) or just play conservatively with Ninetales.

Btw, 252/252 Careful Evolite Dusclops is OHKOd 37.5% of the time by Specs Fire Blast, Starmie is very easily OHKOd by almost everything Charizard carries, and Chandelure is OHKOd by Air Slash.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Just saying, but if Charizard were to become broken, being weak to different moves wouldn't save it from Ubers. Sun is also pretty easy to maintain if you win the weather war (really easy with Dugtrio and some previous damage) or just play conservatively with Ninetales.

Btw, 252/252 Careful Evolite Dusclops is OHKOd 37.5% of the time by Specs Fire Blast, Starmie is very easily OHKOd by almost everything Charizard carries, and Chandelure is OHKOd by Air Slash.
    IF Charizard were to get 110 speed, as the person suggested, Starmie would outspeed it with a cool base 115. Not a hard counter, but an incredible revenge killer.
    No, I wasn't suggesting that Dusclops could wall it, it just blocks rapid spin like a champ. Really, you just want Stealth Rock up and you have countered it.

Zard learns air slash??!?!?!?! Well, maybe Lure walls some kind of freaky choice set? Yeah, I kinda didn't know about that, thanks.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Specs raises special attack, not power, last I checked. But that would probably make it even worse.
    I know, but it's pretty much the same thing.
    3. Dusclops says hi.
    4. Starmie also says hi.
    So in other words, you're saying it won't be broken if every team had a Dusclops, Chandalure, or Starmie? Two of those aren't even OU, and only one can safely swap in. Oh, and Dusclops does what in return? It can't actually swap in anyway....
    About as hard as close combating a T-tar.

They'll swap out.
    Oh, a x4 weakness. Tell that to Garchomp.
    8. Thunderbolt says hi.
    Palkia? Outrage says hi. Darkrai? Close Combat says hi.
    Starmie would outspeed it with a cool base 115. Not a hard counter, but an incredible revenge killer.
    Then there is always the chance the Charizard could be scarfed....

Anyway, I was just thinking that if Volcarona could get away with it's stealth rock weakness and still carry life orb, perhaps a faster Charizard could do that with solar power.
    Well, maybe Lure walls some kind of freaky choice set?
    Most Charizard would be choiced. Or at least they are today.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Imagine a choice specs on in the sun. 120 fire blast. STAB makes it 180. Sun makes it 270. Solar power makes it 405. Finally, specs would make it have 608 power. You'd have to either be immune or a politoed/t-tar in order to safely swap into that.
    Keep in mind that Charizard can OHKO Blissey with a Modest Specs Solar Power sun-boosted Fire Blast with the help of Stealth Rock. The only other special move that can do that is Modest Adaptability Specs Porygon-Z's Hyper Beam.

I know, but it's pretty much the same thing. So in other words, you're saying it won't be broken if every team had a Dusclops, Chandalure, or Starmie?I got proved wrong that Chandelure doesn't work... and Dusclops is the prime examle of a spinblocker. You just need Stealth Rock. Two of those aren't even OU, and only one can safely swap in. Oh, and Dusclops does what in return?Stops your Rapin Spin. It can't actually swap in anyway....About as hard as close combating a T-tar.Because Ninetales is an extremely sturdy adversary that is an absolute monster with that base 81 Special Attack and all[/sarcasm, ninetales sucks without drought]

They'll swap out.Didn't think about that when I posted.Oh, a x4 weakness. Tell that to Garchomp.Does Zard have insane offensive stats, a reliable method to boost said stat, and also a lack of total reliance on weather to be useful?Palkia? Outrage says hi. Darkrai? Close Combat says hi.4x weakness to a move that should be on every type of team that is very hard to counter due to the ease of setting it back up? Charizard says hi. Then there is always the chance the Charizard could be scarfed....And the counter to every choice set is good prediction. Though that would f*** Starmie up on so many levels.

Anyway, I was just thinking that if Volcarona could get away with it's stealth rock weakness and still carry life orbDon't get me wrong, Quiver Dance Zard with reliable recovery in it's preferred weather, would be broken... for that matter... Quiver dance ANYTHING(without a weakness to SR) would be broken., perhaps a faster Charizard could do that with solar power.Most Charizard would be choiced. Or at least they are today. Agreed. I do believe that this thing would be a threat in OU if it got more speed, just not good enough to be Uber
    My thoughts in BOLD

Because Ninetales is an extremely sturdy adversary that is an absolute monster with that base 81 Special Attack and all[/sarcasm, ninetales sucks without drought]
    Not like Politoed at all.

Oh, wait.
    and Dusclops is the prime examle of a spinblocker. You just need Stealth Rock.
    Oh, that's it? Most teams don't really have spin blockers. And even so, SR won't OHKO Charizard. If you just rely on SR, you're bound to lose a pokemon.
    4x weakness to a move that should be on every type of team

Wait, what were you saying about stealth rock and stone edge.

Anyway, let's try a couple calcs. Mew is equal on both special defense and defense, right? That should be a great example.
    Choice Specs, timid Charizard with Fire Blast in the sun vs 0/0 Mew. 170% - 200%
    Choice Band, Jolly Ho-Oh with Flare Blitz in the sun vs 0/0 Mew. 141% - 166%

Ho-Oh doesn't even learn Flare Blitz...

Not like Politoed at all.I know Toed is in the same boat. That is very true. But, being weak to earthquake and SR IS a problem. If the Droughter was any type but fire or ice(worst defensive types), it would be WAY more viable.

Oh, wait. Oh, that's it? Most teams don't really have spin blockers. And even so, SR won't OHKO Charizard. If you just rely on SR, you're bound to lose a pokemon. Yes I am. But I am not losing my team and losing 1 to take out 1 does not bear any fruit for either side. Also, this fast SolarZard would, in fact, make it to Ubers in 4th gen, just not in 5th. The main reasons why it will not be Uber is Team Preview and SR, Team preview because it will be stating that they have a Zard and they will be using Rapid Spin. In this case, the opponent will NEED to keep SR up.. In the rare case that the opponent does NOT have SR, this faster Solarzard will impale a team in twelfths.

Wait, what were you saying about stealth rock and stone edge. Dude, insane special bulk, incredible physical attack, passable 106/90 physical defense, and the ability to burn stuff(Sacred Fire has a 50% burn chance), the ability to not rely on weather makes it 5x better than Zard ever was. Just sayin'.

Anyway, let's try a couple calcs. Mew is equal on both special defense and defense, right? That should be a great example.
    Choice Specs, timid Charizard with Fire Blast in the sun vs 0/0 Mew. 170% - 200%
    Choice Band, Jolly Ho-Oh with Flare Blitz in the sun vs 0/0 Mew. 141% - 166%
    I'm seriously serious. Who the F*** runs no HP EVs on an offensive Mew set? THESE calcs are more like it.
    Choice Specs,252 Sp.A timid Charizard with Fire Blast in the sun vs 4/0 Mew. 170.47% - 200.88%
    Choice Band, Jolly Ho-Oh 252 Attack with Sacred Fire(It's physical BTW) in the sun vs 4/0 Mew. 107.02%-126.32%
    wait a minute...
    Charizard's "Insane bulk" 78/78/85 If you can switch that in on attacks not named Earthquake with effectively 50% HP, you deserve a Nobel Bad Opponent Prize. And don't get me started on choiced priority...

Zard is a glass cannon. if he got base 111 speed, he would be comfortable in OU among Venusaur and friends, being able to run Modest and outspeed base 100's at the same time.
    Thoughts in BOLD

Do it for spinda, that thing is turrible

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKamikaze View Post
    Do it for spinda, that thing is turrible
    YES.
    this had to be more than 10 characters so... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by britishlanguage View Post
    IF Charizard were to get 110 speed, as the person suggested, Starmie would outspeed it with a cool base 115. Not a hard counter, but an incredible revenge killer.
    Thus a check, but even then, a LO Starmie's Surf does a max of 76.77% to a 0/0 Charizard in the Sun, meaning that Charizard might be able to kill Starmie and keep going for an attack or so.

No, I wasn't suggesting that Dusclops could wall it, it just blocks rapid spin like a champ. Really, you just want Stealth Rock up and you have countered it.
    Dusclops isn't exactly the hardest spin blocker to wear down with its lack of reliable recovery (even Leftovers) and vulnerability to so much passive damage. A Sun team will have no trouble whatsoever killing Dusclops; it'll be dead and Stealth Rock gone before Charizard even hits the field.

As a side note, you could say that the change from Rhydon to Rhyperior was mostly a change of BST. Besides Solid Rock, the only difference between the two is the 10 extra base points in every stat but speed. Same thing for Dusclops to Dusknoir, which is often called the most unnecessary evolution of all time; just 5 measly points added to HP, Def, SpD, and SpA, with an extra 20 in speed (which is still too slow to matter). The only real change is that extra Atk.

Imagine Skarmory with an evolution, that thing looks awesome as it is but imagine the possibilities. Now that im thinking about it eviolite would make it broken. Maybe a prevolution with higher speed and attack with sword dance. Its a steel bird and has sharp feathers.

As far as changing the base stats, I don't think it'll happen. What could happen to create the illusion of a boost in base stats is the creation of hold items that boost a specific stat by a set amount. These hold items will make some useless Pokemon somewhat useable, while at the same time they won't break OU/Uber Pokemon. Simple enough, right?

IMO, Ninetales needs better stats.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

That is pretty much what the purpose of DW abilities were. They were intended to allow older pokemon to compete with all the new pokemon. And it succeeded fairly well, best examples are things like venusaur, dnite, and zam

Click my Sig to go to our xat!!!

credit to EG and extroph

Quote Originally Posted by dragonuser View Post
    That is pretty much what the purpose of DW abilities were. They were intended to allow older pokemon to compete with all the new pokemon. And it succeeded fairly well, best examples are things like venusaur, dnite, and zam
    Tell that to Delibird.

I don't think that was the point at all, they were just giving pokemon extra abilities just to draw more attention to the games.

I think the invention of Abilities was (like the name implies) simply to expand the abilities and capabilities of Pokemon. Some get the perfect ability that they need (like Rotom and all of it's forms, especially Heat form) and other just get crapped on by GameFreak (Delibird seems to be a favorite example of this, and why would they invent the Ability Defeatist?), but most of the time one can say it's all in the interest of balance in the games. If all Pokemon got the best Abilities for them, all battles will last forever if they ever end at all (although I now realize Struggle will kick in eventually). In short, Abilities enhance battles like nothing else can, either by further highlighting strengths or by checking major threats.
    As a side note, I think Gen VI will bring dual Dream World Abilities to many Pokemon, much like Gen IV brought dual natural Abilities.

I'd be for buffing the weakest of the weak to make them slightly more viable. There are Pokemon who aren't even decent in NU that could use some form of help. Pokemon like ... Spinda, Delcatty, Farfetch'd, Delibird, Luvdisc, Mawile, Volbeat/Illumise, and every electric rodent ever.

For other Pokemon who need just an extra push to be great another ability or an expanded movepool. Some Pokemon just need reliable recovery. Others need offensive moves to go with their offensive stats. They're getting better at fixing what's wrong with certain Pokemon.

Tell that to Delibird.
    Or Ledian who got Iron Fist and lost the Elemental Punches + Mach Punch.

I think that certain abilities helped Pokemon that were decent before find the niche they needed to become great. Espeon, Ninetales, Politoed, Venusaur, Alakazam, and company are clear winners. Then there's the bunch that got their old abilities buffed like Gastrodon and the Sturdy Pokemon.

Then there are Pokemon who was terrible and will be terrible regardless of what they do to try to balance the game. A good example is every Pokemon that got Contrary. It could be a great ability on some Pokemon, but the three Pokemon who got it don't have the right tools to truly abuse the ability. Shuckle has no offensive power, Seperior has few offensive moves, and Spinda has nothing.

Spinda has a decent Choice Scarf set with Contrary+Superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    I'd be for buffing the weakest of the weak to make them slightly more viable. There are Pokemon who aren't even decent in NU that could use some form of help. Pokemon like ... Spinda, Delcatty, Farfetch'd, Delibird, Luvdisc, Mawile, Volbeat/Illumise, and every electric rodent ever.
    Are you suggesting that every single Pokémon should be competitively viable? While this would be nice, it's far from plausible. There'll always be something that can fill a role better.
    Or Ledian who got Iron Fist and lost the Elemental Punches + Mach Punch.
    Just wait for the third game move tutors.
    Shuckle has no offensive power, Seperior has few offensive moves, and Spinda has nothing.
    Spinda gets Superpower through the Dream World, which is usable with Contrary.

I thought I saw a difference in stats between gens. Might be wrong. Might've even been looking at an evolved Pokemon, but who's to say? Anyways, I think it would change the metagame a lot. But there's always new moves that make some Pokemon more useful than others. Plus, some Pokemon may fit a special niche like a certain type of Pokemon in case someone wants to make an all one type team, which isn't that good of an idea, but better for competition between friends or for online gyms and such.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast