Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: The Sonic Thread

if we had a main series sonic game with the story of sa2, the music of sa1 the gameplay of generations, and the difficulty of the older games then fluids would be released people.
    Pokemon White rotational teams pokes in trainingWhite Fc: 4556 7172 3697 BP: 15

credit goes to luxraymaster for the awesome team pose

Your signature contained too many images and was too tall. Please read the signature rules before you update it again.

Generations' gameplay wasn't that good. I daresay that the most polished 3D Sonic game playability-wise was Adventure. It's a shame that the general glitchiness of some levels just ruined it at points.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Nexus View Post
    I'm not one of those guys who thinks games have to be challenging to be fun. Stuff like that suits most platforming games, but not Sonic's IMO, because it's all about running fast and if you gotta stop to do some stupid puzzle it ruins the flow of the gameplay.
    It doesn't have to be puzzles, I was thinking some more platforming. The problem isn't that the game is too easy, the problem is that most 3D games almost play themselves. Generations is kind of going in that direction, but it's not quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Nexus View Post
    At least Soleana was ONE city. Unleashed had loads of different cities and each one had some kind of puzzle to get to the levels. Again with the puzzles, it doesn't suit Sonic games at all. You should just complete a level and be able to go straight into the next one. Even though I prefer the 3D Sonic games, I will admit the 2D games have the better regard of just jumping from one level to the next. Even though Generations had a hub, it was at least a step in the right direction because they were much shorter and it was obvious where to go, so it was better than nothing.
    Not usually. The levels could stand to be a bit easier to find, but there were rarely any puzzles that you needed to unlock them, they were usually out in the open. The only time they weren't was when they were introducing a new powerup (Stomp, Wall Jump, Air Boost, and Light Dash), and it was appropriate then since they needed to teach you how to use said powerup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Generations' gameplay wasn't that good. I daresay that the most polished 3D Sonic game playability-wise was Adventure. It's a shame that the general glitchiness of some levels just ruined it at points.
    In terms of gameplay, I definitely disagree with you there. Several of the gameplay styles didn't fit the series at all (notably Big's and Knuckles'). And Sonic's levels were often very linear, often times having very few alternate paths and required near zero skill to complete. Generations was definitely better than Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
    Hey, look what I found! Emerald Coast, Sonic Generations PC style! An actual custom level for once.
    Ok, it's pretty awful in many respects, but it's not a straight port of a level or a sonic recolour so it's still better then 90% of mods for the game.
    Ah, that's Dude2kx's mod. Yeah, that's one of the better Generations mods out there, the only ones I've seen that are remotely good are that and Melponterations. It's everything Generations DLC should've been.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 3rd November 2012 at 1:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    In terms of gameplay, I definitely disagree with you there. Several of the gameplay styles didn't fit the series at all (notably Big's and Knuckles'). And Sonic's levels were often very linear, often times having very few alternate paths and required near zero skill to complete. Generations was definitely better than Adventure.
    I fail to see how Knuckles gameplay didn't fit. It was something new a cool to offset Sonic and Tail's high speed levels. I agree on big though. And even if Sonic's levels were more linear, they required more skill to complete than Generations. The fact that Generations pretty much hands you boost for the whole level, mean you don't even have to fight and enemies and just run through them is proof enough. Not to mention the auto locking homing attack that pretty much locks on to an enemy regardless of position, and those "alternate" routes are pretty much activated by button sequences instead of timed jumps or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I fail to see how Knuckles gameplay didn't fit. It was something new a cool to offset Sonic and Tail's high speed levels. I agree on big though.
    The bolded statement is exactly what's wrong with it. A franchise that emphasizes high speed platforming shouldn't have gameplay styles that involve slogging through the levels at a snail's pace, or level design that discourages speed. I don't mind them trying to mix things up, but they need to do so in a way that doesn't detract from the series' identity.

And even if Sonic's levels were more linear, they required more skill to complete than Generations. The fact that Generations pretty much hands you boost for the whole level, mean you don't even have to fight and enemies and just run through them is proof enough. Not to mention the auto locking homing attack that pretty much locks on to an enemy regardless of position, and those "alternate" routes are pretty much activated by button sequences instead of timed jumps or something.
    That's a laugh. Adventure gameplay didn't require any skill either, just running down barren paths with no obstacles, running through scripted sequences like springs, boosters, and loop de loops, and the occasional Homing Attack chain. Pretty much every problem with the Modern games not related to the boost originated from Adventure. As for the boost itself, you seem to underestimate the importance of reflexes. Yeah, sure you can just blaze through enemies and stuff, but you know what you can't blaze through? Platforming sections. And Modern games have much more of that than Adventure. On top of that, the high speeds require more precision and quicker reflexes, so even the simplest jump in the Modern games takes a lot more skill than it does in Adventure. Modern definitely requires more skill than Adventure, hands down.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

The fact that Generations pretty much hands you boost for the whole level, mean you don't even have to fight and enemies and just run through them is proof enough.
    That's not really true. The 2d sections of every level after green hill zone are a lot less friendly to people just holding the boost button, and the 3d sections of the latter half aren't that conducive to it either. Conserving boost is very important for SSH, and the only part of CC where you can boost for more then a few seconds if you haven't memorised the level is the section at the end meant to represent the mach speed section, and even then it becomes a lot harder to dodge things. Sustained boosting in PW is pretty much restricted to the short grinding sections.

It's not as good as colors in the boosting respect, but its a lot better then unleashed or rush.

Edit: On a similar note: ****ING EGG DRAGOON! I still can't beat him on hard mode. I've mastered the dodging ice blasts, his fire beams, his drill rockets, learnt the timings for the rail segments, the wall jumps and catching up to his middle segment. I've even figured out how to avoid the slightly glitchy transition phases where he attacks in the middle of a 2d to 3d switch, but that bloody diving segment still murders me every time. I got the furthest I've ever got, but sometimes you just can't dodge his attacks. And then you die. At least Chaos had checkpoints.
    Last edited by Will-powered Spriter; 5th November 2012 at 7:44 PM.

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

Sonic the Fighters is confirmed to be returning on the XBOX live and Playstation Network in Japan along with several other arcade games

It is confirmed that the game will now be online and additional characters will be added. One of these characters is Honey the Cat

So as of now, the scrapped character Honey the Cat for the original version of the game is now a canon character, because a trailer of her playability is shown

It also means the return of Bean, Bark and Fang for over 10 years

What is your reaction?
    Last edited by Aakash98; 8th November 2012 at 9:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aakash98;15341971One of these characters is [B
    Honey the Cat[/B]

So as of now, the scrapped character Honey the Cat for the original version of the game is now a canon character
    What is your reaction?
    This is great ****ing news.

I heard they is going to be a Console Sonic game in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Aakash98 View Post
    I hate Bean so much.

What is your reaction?
    Not really bothered since I own it on the Gem collection plus adding a new character and on-line multiplayer doesn't interest me.

Although if Sega price it right then I might buy it.

This is great ****ing news.
    For furries ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
    I heard they is going to be a Console Sonic game in 2013
    I heard there is going to be a console Mario game in 2013.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Incoming information, as Metal Sonic and Eggman will be playable in the game

Sonic the Fighters is confirmed to be returning on the XBOX live and Playstation Network in Japan along with several other arcade games

It is confirmed that the game will now be online and additional characters will be added. One of these characters is Honey the Cat

So as of now, the scrapped character Honey the Cat for the original version of the game is now a canon character, because a trailer of her playability is shown

What is your reaction?
    I'm not sure it means anything for Bean, Bark, and Fang, since they were already playable in the original, but for Honey? Maybe. You can't really say they've been brought back until they appear in entirely new games, though.

Metal Sonic
    playable

WE HIGH DAMAGING MOVE SPAM NOW
    Last edited by Josef Stylin; 10th November 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Honey?

My God. This is gonna be weird.

I wonder if Rocket Metal would be added.

Whoa.

I was listening to the soundtrack for Sonic Colours while I was working, and I came across a song I'd never even heard before (Challenge mode result) and it was amazing. It never ceases to astound me how much effort goes into themes for the game that you may never hear for more then 10 seconds or even at all.

The music for this game is objectively perfect. Except for 'speak with your heart'.

Will-Powered Spriter

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post

The music for this game is objectively perfect. Except for 'speak with your heart'.
    I disagree, I think Speak with your heart is just as good as the rest of the soundtract. Honestly, I can't stand Super Sonic's bass.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    I disagree, I think Speak with your heart is just as good as the rest of the soundtract. Honestly, I can't stand Super Sonic's bass.
    Meh, I just don't like it. It's kind of slow paced and I think the robo voice thing sounds silly.

The supersonic theme is enjoyable to listen to in of itself, it's just too short and simple for a theme you're going to end up hearing for several minutes on loop. They could've just played the whole of reach for the stars, or at least the section used for combo-wisp.

Will-Powered Spriter

The only theme songs I really like are His World, I Am, and Reach for the Stars. Most of the rest are really meh.

I usually like the vocals in Sonic Games. Sonic Heroes being the lone exception.

I wonder if Rocket Metal would be added.
    Metal Sonic's in as playable, so Rocket's probably in too. Apparently you have to do and old-school button combination (press these buttons on these characters) to play with them so they would truly be " Secret " Characters.

Honey's button combo is on Amy's icon, and you get an achievement if you play as her. The Achievement List is floating around out there somewhere. It's possible to get all but one of the Achievements on a single playthrough.

[QUOTE=An00bis;15367273]I usually like the vocals in Sonic Games. Sonic Heroes being the lone exception.

I kind of like the Sonic Heroes theme, even if it is a little cheesy (I guess would be the word).
    There definitely are better tracks out there, though.
    Under Construction

Sonic Boom is the best - it goes well with pretty much any high-speed action sequence.

But if you're talking music from the series in general, you should give this one a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG3wT...layer_embedded

FUN IS INFINITE.

Creating sentience is simple. Accepting it, however, is harder than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudnugget1 View Post
    Sonic Boom is the best - it goes well with pretty much any high-speed action sequence.
    Too bad the full version of Sonic Boom is pretty much the exact opposite, it's way too slow and depressing.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.ph...-to-become-DLC

Thought you guys would be interested in checking this out, so here you go.

Actually, I just want more possible votes for Vectorman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullkid View Post
    http://forums.sega.com/showthread.ph...-to-become-DLC

Thought you guys would be interested in checking this out, so here you go.

Actually, I just want more possible votes for Vectorman.
    I thoroughly unenjoyed the first S&SASR (too much like Mario Kart, right down to the lack of skill and reliance on items), so I'm not particularly excited for Transformed. I'll still play the demo to see if it's any different, though.

You would think Billy Hatcher would already be in the game.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast