Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #59

Well to start things off, the prospect of Drizzle and Drought in OU gives Roserade all that much more potential to use its Weather Ball.

As usual, I will be focusing on what sets Roserade can use in Gen 5, as opposed to listing every single set including those unchanged from Gen 4... It definitely improves from Giga Drain's power boost. Solarbeam and Synthesis are all considerable if Roserade is partnered with Ninetales.

Special Attacking @ Life Orb/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Natural Cure/Technician
    Leaf Storm/Growth
    Sludge Bomb/Venoshock/Extrasensory/Weather Ball
    Giga Drain/Grass Knot/Magical Leaf/Petal Dance
    Sleep Powder/Hidden Power/Rest

Although Rose's defensive sets are pretty much unchanged, Roserade's Special Sweep set received an interesting change: Technician. If you choose to employ this Ability, Roserade has improvements in access to Magical Leaf packing as much punch as Sludge Bomb and base 90 Hidden Powers. Otherwise...no difference. Roserade has a niche in having the greatest SpAtk for all Grass-Types (tied with Exeggutor) and the greatest SpAtk for all Poison-Types (tied with Gengar).
    Venoshock is also an option over Sludge Bomb if you judge your team can spread Poison very well.
    Petal Dance received a power boost. Just like how you would use Magical Leaf, Giga Drain, or Grass Knot in conjunction with Leaf Storm, Petal Dance is meant to be used if you do not intend to switch out Roserade the following turn.
    In short:
    Leaf Storm: Roserade's big gun. Hit hard, switch out.
    Petal Dance: Roserade's sidearm. If you want to throw out a Grass attack for the next three turns consecutively, this is your attack.
    The Other Three: Not Roserade's strongest move, but it's decent if you just want to lob a Grass attack out there.
    Roserade has the option to Growth, which will now provide a +2 boost. Roserade doesn't employ it nearly as well, though, due to lack of Chlorophyll.

Physical Attacking @ Life Orb
    yadda-yadda-yadda
    Natural Cure/Technician
    Swords Dance
    Seed Bomb/Razor Leaf
    Poison Jab
    Natural Gift/Sleep Powder/Body Slam/Return/Double-Edge

With Technician, Roserade has a greater diversity in its Physical attacking area. Compared to Breloom, Roserade has approximately half the power, but significantly more Speed, and also a different STAB option...

Notable Move Illegalities:
    Bullet Seed + Technician
    Body Slam/Double-Edge + Technician
    Spikes + Sleep Powder

Pre-Evo Corner: While I wouldn't use Budew in LC, I have actually used Eviolite Roselia in OU with great success.
    Sleep Powder
    Aromatherapy
    Leech Seed
    Rest

This Roselia takes hits extraordinary well, especially Special hits and especially Water hits; not even strong Fire attacks can faze Roselia since I also combine it with a Politoed. These moves are just four out of a plethora of defensive options.

Cotton Spore is a new move, but I don't think you'd find any real use for it.
    Roserade does not have anything outstanding in Double matches outside of Water Sport or Worry Seed; it doesn't even have any resistances to back itself up. I suppose you have Technician boost on Round?

Budew (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Spikes
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Rest

This is probably it's only good set in LC. As a spiker like most of her family. She doesn't get any other moves that are worth using since her special attack i to low anyway. It really is outclassed by many other pokemon.

Ehhh Don't have much time to make up a set this week...

Abilities:
    Poison Point – There’s a 30% chance the opponent will become poisoned if they directly attack Roserade. Interesting in theory, but really not so much in practice – regular poison isn’t nearly as lethal as Toxic poison, so this ability is more or less pointless to choose.

Natural Cure – Switch Roserade out of battle and any status condition on it will be lifted. Especially for a sweeper, this is an incredibly helpful ability to have at hand. For the non-Dream World ability, this is the better choice

Technician (Dream World) – All attacks with base 60 power or lower get a 1.5x boost. A really neat ability, but it’s unfortunately not as appealing for Roserade considering how few attacks (especially Special attacks) would benefit from this.

Sunny Day Partner
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Nature: Timid (+ Spd, - Atk)/Modest (+ Sp.Atk, - Atk)
    - Growth
    - Solarbeam/Giga Drain
    - Weather Ball
    - Hidden Power Ice/Rock/Ground

This set expects and works best under Sunny Day. Growth in sunlight will double Roserade’s Attack and Special Attack. Solarbeam gets STAB, a lot of power, and instantly fires in sunlight, but Giga Drain is a good alternative if you’d rather receive recovery. Weather Ball turns into Fire-type in sunlight to rid of pesky Ice-types. Hidden Power Ice gets rid of Fying- and Dragon-types. Hidden Power Rock, however, can deal with Flying- and Fire-types, while HP Ground can deal with Steels outside of Fire-type Weather Ball, and especially Heatran who would otherwise pose a serious problem with this entire set.
    Last edited by Charizard Lizzy; 19th February 2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Improve moveset
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

I'd like to note that roserade has serious problems when faced with magic bouncers....especially when it comes to toxic spikes, because it has to switch out and switch back in.... Considering that the common magic bouncers (xatu and espeon) almost always pack psychic attacks...that could be very problematic for Roserade

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    I'd like to note that roserade has serious problems when faced with magic bouncers....especially when it comes to toxic spikes, because it has to switch out and switch back in.... Considering that the common magic bouncers (xatu and espeon) almost always pack psychic attacks...that could be very problematic for Roserade
    Unless Roserade has Shadow Ball..but yeah, Magic Bouncers are probably the biggest walls to Roserade besides Steel types.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

You guys are forgetting that Budew is the fastest Spiker on LC.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Roserade is pretty decent, it has a high sp att and speed and decent sp def but that just makes it a special sweeper. As for bulkiness it has nothing to be happy about. All it can take is one "strong" special attack at the best bets. It has good abilities in natural cure and technician. Poison point is not that good because roserade was not made to take hits especially physical ones. That sorted out, it's movepool is decent as a generic grass type with some additions especially weather ball.

This pokemon can run effectively multiple sets and support due to it's ability to lay down spikes and toxic spikes as well as healing it's teammates with aromatherapy.

To be on the safe side, seeing how roserade is frail defensively, boosting it's speed is crucial to make it count offensively for it's good-but not so good-speed.
    With natural cure roserades run a speed boosting nature with a speed or specia attack boosting item and the moves Sunny day, Weather ball, Solarbeam, Sludge bomb.
    This set works pretty well, set up sunny day and sweep. Weather ball becomes very powerful and fire type wich covers all the weaknesses especially steel types that would wall you completely. Solarbeam is strong reliable and doesn't need any recharge in the sun. Sludge bomb is a very strong stab attack that rounds up the coverage hitting neutral other resisted types especially dragons. If you have sun support so synthesis is a must on this set for needed healing.

Another possible set if you don't want to gamble with weather is to use your support moves. Use toxic spikes, Aromatherapy, Leaf storm/Energy ball/Giga drain or Petal dance and Venoshock. Set up toxic spikes wich you can do due to your good speed and venoshock your poisonned opponent to a quick kill. A grass type attack is to use for a stronger hit on rock and ground types that would otherwise take your venoshocks with ease. Energy ball is for consistency but giga drain heals you, Petal dance in much stronger but may leave you confused. Leaf storm is much much stronger but cuts your special attack to half but forces you to switch. This is mot so bad since you'll be switching too much since your main role in this set is to cure team mates with aromatherapies and not as a sweeper.

For a technician set use Magical leaf or mega drain. I mean why not a 40 BP mega drain will be 60 with STAB and 90 with technician pretty good I think. Sure magical leaf will be much stronger but you can use mega drain for some recovery. Weather ball is also a good attack that will be boosted with technician making it a very good attack even without any weather. Synthesis is here for recovery making mega drain completely unnessecary. Sunny day/Rain dance is if you don't have weather support. Rain dance is better than sunny day ridding you from that crippling fire type weakness. If you have Weather support so run Spikes or toxic spikes for entry hazards.

Thats it! Use roserade properly and you will be rewarded...

Mega Drain<Giga Drain. 60<75.

And specially defensive is not to be disregarded.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    You guys are forgetting that Budew is the fastest Spiker on LC.
    Not quite. Tied with Dwebble and beaten by Venipede and Trubbish.

Roserade is basically another typical Grass type. The only thing that really makes it stick out is the fact that it has Weather Ball and Technician.
    Besides that, there's really no reason to use it over other Grass types. Its movepool is basically Hidden Power, Shadow Ball, Weather Ball, Sludge Bomb, Extrasensory (?), and one of its many Grass type attacks.
    Stat wise, its ok. It has below average attack, nice Special Attack, and decent Speed.
    Natural Cure: Cures status conditions whenever you switch out. Not bad.
    Poison Point: 30% chance of being poisoned upon physical contact. Not bad either.
    Technician(DW) This is where Roserade really shines. This ability (which I can't seem to spell correctly on my first attempt) boosts all attacks with a base power of 60 or lower by 1.5 times. So an attack such as Weather Ball, which normally has a base power of 50, would have a base power of 75 with this ability. Really freaking good.

Roses are prettiest when in the Sun
    -Solarbeam
    -Weather Ball
    -Hidden Power [Ground]
    -Shadow Ball
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Technician/Natural Cure
    Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
    4 Hp/252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
    When Technician is released, use that. Until then, I suggest Natural Cure, as it will be switching out often anyway. Because this should be used in the Sun, Solarbeam is necessary. Weather Ball becomes a Fire type attack, so nice coverage. Hidden Power Ground is for Fire types. Shadow Ball for coverage. I chose Modest over Timid because with Max Speed EVs and IVs without Timid and with Scarf, its Speed peaks at 418.

Cleric
    -Aromatherapy
    -Giga Drain
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Sleep Powder/Spikes
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Atk)
    252 Hp/ 4 Sp. Def/252 Speed
    This set is basically to heal your team of status conditions and possibly setting up hazards. Giga Drain is to survive longer, while Sleep Powder to stop sweeps or waste a berry.

Roses are red, like BLOOD
    -Energy Ball/Magical Leaf
    -Hidden Power [Fire]
    -Shadow Ball
    -Growth/Weather Ball
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure/Technician
    Nature: Timid
    4 Hp/252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
    This is a basic sweeper set. Energy Ball if you have Natural Cure, Magical Leaf with Technician. Shadow Ball and HP Fire for coverage. If you have Technician, choose Weather Ball. If not, I would go with Growth for the extra power.

Other Options
    Sludge Bomb serves as high-powered STAB.
    Giga Drain over Energy Ball if you want to live longer.
    Extrasensory can do some damage, but it has absolutely no good coverage.
    Mega Drain can be stronger than Giga Drain with Technician.

Double and Triple Options
    Don't.

Partners
    Ninetails is nice for Weather Ball, Politoed to lower super-effective Fire attacks. You want to take out Special Walls, so pokemon who can take out the common ones like Conklederp or Dragonite are good. Also, if you want to set up hazards, spin-blockers are good.

Countering Roserade
    Physical Fire types kill it, pokemon with high Special Defense and decent Hp wall it. Simple as that.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Not quite. Tied with Dwebble and beaten by Venipede and Trubbish.
    Oh. Then Budew sucks. The only thing it's decent at is Spiking, and that's outclassed by Dwebble due to access to SR and Sturdy.

On the bright side, it does have a little something to its name. It's the only Grass type Spiker in LC besides Cacnea, who would much rather go offensive. Its Grass/Poison typing does give it some decent resistances, and its special bulk isn't too bad. There's also Natural Cure + Rest, which allows it to stay alive a lot longer. Shelmet might have more bulk and more reliable recovery, but at least Budew has more offensive potential.

Yeah, it's not much, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    On the bright side, it does have a little something to its name. It's the only Grass type Spiker in LC besides Cacnea, who would much rather go offensive. Its Grass/Poison typing does give it some decent resistances, and its special bulk isn't too bad. There's also Natural Cure + Rest, which allows it to stay alive a lot longer. Shelmet might have more bulk and more reliable recovery, but at least Budew has more offensive potential.

Yeah, it's not much, but whatever.
    I'd rather use Shelmet if I wanted a Fighting resist. And Shelmet has base 40, Budew is 50. Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, Leaf Storm, Shadow Ball, Extrasensory. That's pretty much it for Budew, though admittedly Shelmet only ever runs Bug Buzz for attacking moves.

Budew has worse physical bulk than Zorua.

It's probably best to use a offensive AND defensive strategy with roserade. We all love its special attack, but it's moves are just a tad lacking.

Roserade@Leftovers/BlackSludge
    Nature:Calm
    ~Toxic Spikes
    ~Spikes
    ~Leaf Storm
    ~Rest
    252 HP 132SAtk 120SDef? or 252 SDef? Man I don't know.

Let's try to abuse that Rest+NC the best we can shall we?

3DS: 5413 1009 1553

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123