Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me? or is Pokemon competitiveness losing its originality?

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Maybe the most annoying just because of things like Toxicroak and Ferrothorn in Rain stall, but most effective is debatable. Landorus running around in Sand is extremely effective, and there are plenty of sets that it can run to destroy teams on its own. There's also the fact that Tyranitar alone is an extremely effective Pursuit trapper and just bulky beast in general. Sand is also great offensive utility on its own, wearing down opponents little-by-little making them lost a bit of health every turn. Sun is also probably the most powerful when set up, with things like Venusaur running around with Sleep Powder, double speed, and +2 Atk and SpA after a Growth. There's also the fact that Fire types effectively lose their Water weakness and are more free to spam ridiculously powerful Fire attacks (i.e. Darmanitan's Sun-boosted Flare Blitz is one of the most dangerous attacks out there).
    People don't complain as much about sun because you see far less sun low on the ladder, and that's where the people complaining about the core of BW OU generally are.

so metal

this is why everyone should JOIN THE NU REVOLUTION
    Generic Signature

I have noticed how much weather centralizes the metagame, and I also want to spice battling up a bit. That's why I started using hail teams, and I also have a gimmick rain team running LO Vaporeon and Specs Jellicent. My sun team based around Moltres does wonderfully, and my sand Cradily team also does well.

You don't need to use the standards to do well. To me, if you can win with a Wailord legitimately, you're better than someone who can only win with a Rotom-W.

Scarfed Water Spouts in the rain ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    I have noticed how much weather centralizes the metagame, and I also want to spice battling up a bit. That's why I started using hail teams, and I also have a gimmick rain team running LO Vaporeon and Specs Jellicent. My sun team based around Moltres does wonderfully, and my sand Cradily team also does well.

You don't need to use the standards to do well. To me, if you can win with a Wailord legitimately, you're better than someone who can only win with a Rotom-W.
    By morale or by skill? Because using a Wailord in OU doesn't suddenly make you "better".

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

^ By skill. Because no one uses Wailord in OU that often, it takes skill to use it (as well as several Pokemon found in lower tiers).
    I will be less active as time goes on; I have many things to do to get into college and will be focusing on that, so if you don't hear from me for a while, just be patient. I will respond, but it may take some time.

Black FC: 1764-6597-3816

Spoiler:- claims:

Quote Originally Posted by overlordmewtwo View Post
    ^ By skill. Because no one uses Wailord in OU that often, it takes skill to use it (as well as several Pokemon found in lower tiers).
    Thats essentially the lost challenge

|||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

Quote Originally Posted by overlordmewtwo View Post
    Or really bad opponents.

Heck, my overpowered comment really applies to everything upper-tier now. Too many things to begin to counter, and if you didn't think of something or you lose that one Pokemon, you lose.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

It is, my friend went into the autumn Friendly and all he saw were Goats, Ferrothorns, Volcaronas, Conkelderps, etc. It was like only 10 different Pokemon total.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Or really bad opponents.
    Pretty much. Most Pokemon that are in low tiers are in low tiers for reasons other than usage. Beating your opponent with low tier Pokemon usually means your opponent just didn't know how to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam Leafeon View Post
    you should see my team; i promise it's 100% orginal. the best part is that it's comprised of "inferior' pokemon.
    well hey don't be shy i bet a lot of people would want to see such a beast of a team

Quote Originally Posted by Generic User Name View Post
    this is why everyone should JOIN THE NU REVOLUTION
    nu is technically the least diverse tier since it has the fewest amount of usable pokemon. once a real metagame culture develops in that tier (imagine something as popular as that demonym "volt-turn" in ou,) i swear to god...

well hey don't be shy i bet a lot of people would want to see such a beast of a team
    IIRC, the team Gundam Leafeon loves so much is double battles. I wouldn't be as doubtful there, as it's easier to use some "inferior" pokemon there.

I know what his strategy is, and I think it actually could work.
    nu is technically the least diverse tier since it has the fewest amount of usable pokemon. once a real metagame culture develops in that tier (imagine something as popular as that demonym "volt-turn" in ou,) i swear to god...
    I just made a voltturn team that didn't include Scizor(though it did include Rotom-W).
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Im actually really disapointed in how much the meta has changed(or lack of). I took about a half year hiatus and returning getting ready for VGC's I havent found not one team that isnt running weather, though i am having some luck and not using any weather based team I still find it sad that so many people are running weather based teams. were is the originality.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster700 View Post
    Anyone seen the adverts? They have brought back the EX cards!!
    28th February 2012, 12:16 PM

[IMG]http://i56.*******.com/ckxs4.gif[/IMG]
    ^ Click here to go to my shop!^
    ^Credits to Mew_

Yeah, the metagame is so repetive. Im tired of seeing Scizor/Rotom-W/Heatran/Weather on every dang team.

Lol, maybe "weather on every team" is a bit overly dramatic, seeing as how more than half of the teams for the past couple of months in OU have been weatherless.

It's up to you to make it unique, I use uu and ru pokes in ou and I never really liked weather teams, but yeah if you add your own touch it still stays PHresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    It's up to you to make it unique, I use uu and ru pokes in ou and I never really liked weather teams, but yeah if you add your own touch it still stays PHresh.
    It doesn't always take NU or UU pokemon to make it unique either. I've made a volt turn team that didn't have Scizor or Weather, which I brought up earlier. I also made a TR sun team, even if that one isn't my best.

Also, if you're enemies being repetitive, try another metagame for a while. While I don't see anything keeping UU or Uber from being repetitive, it'll give you a taste of something else for a while. Knowing multiple metagames wouldn't really hurt, would it? I remember being tired of the same teams everywhere earlier in gen 5 and trying rotation battles on random matchup before.

As much as I'd like to see a slow down in weather, it's not that hard to put up with.

It's not just you. it is reality

Stop whining. No one is forcing you to play competitive
    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    It doesn't always take NU or UU pokemon to make it unique either. I've made a volt turn team that didn't have Scizor or Weather, which I brought up earlier. I also made a TR sun team, even if that one isn't my best.

Also, if you're enemies being repetitive, try another metagame for a while. While I don't see anything keeping UU or Uber from being repetitive, it'll give you a taste of something else for a while. Knowing multiple metagames wouldn't really hurt, would it? I remember being tired of the same teams everywhere earlier in gen 5 and trying rotation battles on random matchup before.

As much as I'd like to see a slow down in weather, it's not that hard to put up with.
    I know, but it makes the battle exciting, especially when you pwn ou teams.

Quote Originally Posted by abrar14 View Post
    Stop whining. No one is forcing you to play competitive
    There is absolutely no problem with adressing something that may have been good at one point and ruined.

It seems to me you're the only one complaining in the thread, most people are just having a friendly discussion.

ANYWAYS, as someone who really only competitively battled in third gen, one thing I can say is I think all the new attacks and dream world abilities have oversaturated the game to the point where it becomes unoriginal.

Sure if everyone had their entire life to learn all of this, that's one thing, but I've been following pokemon from the get-go, and whlie third gen, and a little of fourth, I was able to say "oh yeah, this item does that". But now there are plenty of "choice" items, more "bands" then I even know, etc.

Thats why classes like OU form, because people need to limit this stuff. But even THEN, I think this ridiculous amount of information is turning people off. Just my opinion though, like I said, been years since I've done anything in the field.
    ----------------------------------

You guys dont have to play just OU you know, plenty of other diverse tiers out there...
    Generic Signature

Do you guys know why wheather and vol-turn and stuff like that gets used so much?

Simple, because they are the strategies that work the best. Competitive players tend to play to win and to be honest, you don't get bonus points for being original. Maybe if your original sets work just as well as the commonly used ones, but most of them tend to be inferior to the regular ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullkid1997 View Post
    Do you guys know why wheather and vol-turn and stuff like that gets used so much?

Simple, because they are the strategies that work the best. Competitive players tend to play to win and to be honest, you don't get bonus points for being original. Maybe if your original sets work just as well as the commonly used ones, but most of them tend to be inferior to the regular ones.
    I agree with this. People will want to use what works the best, so you'll be seeing what works well over and over again. I recently decided to try volt turn, and not only is it fun, but it's effective. Whenever I make a new team, it seems to have huge problems. My volt turn team, even though I just made it, is having very little problems, which I'm actually working on fixing right now.

As much as I'd like to just watch weather leave, I'm not going to criticize anyone for it, because they're, like me, aiming to make the best team possible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast