Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is it just me? or is Pokemon competitiveness losing its originality?

Quote Originally Posted by arceus15 View Post
    >Implying metagame hasn't been 95% copypasta since 3rd gen.

Beta kids will always follow those few creative alphas. Get off the bandwagon por favor
    Its been 95% copypasta since Nintendo Power started posting R/B Pokemon teams way back in the 90s.

^^Agreed. . .

Team matchups are ridiculously influential in BW. I can't tell you just how many teams might be weak to something random like Shell Smash Omastar or LO Sceptile. Otherwise, they may be good teams, but they could be absolutely run over by some once-in-a-blue-moon sweeper or straight-up walled by something like Cresselia in the Sun. Of course, most teams don't prepare specifically for some of these threats, and there's really no need to. After all, most of them aren't used enough in standard OU to really make anyone worry about them. However, when you have probably 300+ Pokemon who are at least remotely usable in OU, it's simply impossible to have a surefire answer to everything. You might have a ladder-topping team, but if it has a weakness to something like Unburden Hitmonlee, it's probably going to get swept in that one of every five hundred battles that you see one.

^Of course, it's still only out of one of five hundred battles, so it's not that bad.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I've actually found a handy cure to the unoriginality by building teams based off stuff that's almost never used... All it takes is a small amount of thinking outside the box to find something truly original.
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ^Of course, it's still only out of one of five hundred battles, so it's not that bad.
    A more extreme example, I'll admit. Still, there are still about 100 different Pokemon that, statistically, you are going to see in one of every 100 battles and over 60 that you'll see in one of every 50 battles. Trying to find a good answer to all of those threats is not realistic. That's why I agree with the notion that 5th Gen is more about checks than it is counters. More often than not, you'll see someone carrying a random Scarfer, wall breaker, etc. to check whatever sweepers or walls they might come up against. Sure, it's not foolproof, but there's not way you're going to be able to shut down all the threats out there to begin with.

I'm mostly a sandstorm/hail team user, and in my opinion, metagame competitiveness is the same as other gens cuz of more moves and a diversity of strategies

theres always going to be 2 sides. the one side that is creative and gimmicky. those that say "why cant he be creative? weather? pshaw!" and the other side: the top tier player who complains "why cant he use more standard pokes?" after he got swept. well, theres also those in the middle: those who are creative, but top tier. ive noticed that lost hero challenges are those that get high up.

Three month bump...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234