Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2012 Edition

Is there any chance that we can get BW animated Pokemon icons.Even though we have non-animated ones,they don't look too good compared to the first four gen animated ones?
        Spoiler:- Completed and Current Playthroughs:

Quote Originally Posted by zhanton View Post
    Just regarding the activity stream on profiles, could you have a look at these three plugins/codes?

- [1]
    - [2]
    - [3]

just to enhance the functionality of the activity stream, eg showing Visitor Messages first when you click on a profile, rather than the Activity stream, or making it so guests cannot see activity streams (they can't search people's posts, so why can they look at someone's posts through their activity stream?), etc.
    Serebii doesn't use plug-ins.

Why are pokemon icons used via "333" instead of "Swablu"?

Its completely impractical to have to look up a pokemons number.
    Not to mention it discourages properly typing out the pokemons name...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    Why are pokemon icons used via "333" instead of "Swablu"?

Its completely impractical to have to look up a pokemons number.
    Not to mention it discourages properly typing out the pokemons name...
    Possibly because the numbers are universal, whereas some people can't spell pokemon' name properly.

But a valid point non-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Possibly because the numbers are universal, whereas some people can't spell pokemon' name properly.

But a valid point non-the-less.
    I sincerely doubt 99% of users who want to use these know the pokemon by national dex number, so they have to look up the pokemon every time.
    Whereas with names they would only have to do that when not knowing how their name is spelt.. and that would just be what, 20% tops for the worse cases?

I mean, pokemon-fans having to bother typing names of pokemon correctly? how brutal.

I'd never have to look up a single one then, but now I have to, for basically everything.

Not everyone here is from a country that uses the English names of Pokemon. National Dex numbers take like 5 seconds to look up. Also taking into consideration that most people here are young in age and their spelling skill are not so great. Just look at the General Pokemon Discussion forum. It's easier to just their Dex number.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Not everyone here is from a country that uses the English names of Pokemon. National Dex numbers take like 5 seconds to look up. Also taking into consideration that most people here are young in age and their spelling skill are not so great. Just look at the General Pokemon Discussion forum. It's easier to just their Dex number.
    Its an english-speaking forum. Ive never seen anyone use non-english pokemon names either.

How does looking up the name take longer than looking up the number?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    I'd never have to look up a single one then, but now I have to, for basically everything.
    Alternatively, you could just write the pokemon's name down and not resort to using smilies. As you say, everybody knows the pokemon names, and can associate the name with what it looks like. I imagine a considerable amount of users would rather see the word Victreebel instead of a tiny bouncing

On the topic of those smilies, there's a small inconsistency in them atm:
    - All ones pre-BW are written out using ;042; and are those annoying bouncing ones
    - All BW ones are written out using :555: and are more tolerable static smilies

Is it possible to make all the old ones static ones like the new ones, and is it also possible to make how they're written out consistent for all of them, either with semi-colons or colons?

Just curious because I wonder why there isn't a 'Create your own pokemon' thread? The general create/rename something thread is just too overpacked, and it's just filled up with ideas...

I know this sounds stupid :3 But I still think having a create your fake on forum would be fun :P

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Just curious because I wonder why there isn't a 'Create your own pokemon' thread? The general create/rename something thread is just too overpacked, and it's just filled up with ideas...

I know this sounds stupid :3 But I still think having a create your fake on forum would be fun :P
    There used to be. But then people made "Create your own..." threads for everything. At one point there were more CYO threads than there were any other threads in the General Discussion Forum, which is why a CYO Anything was made. I suppose the thread is over three years old now, and could warrant a new one being started to reduce some of the clutter. Whether a separate thread just for pokemon (as the are the most popular CYO's) is justifiable or not, I'd rather leave that up to the GD/Poll Mods. I'll ask Profesco for his opinion.

Hm. As it stands, there are two ways to introduce your Fakemon to this forum: the "Create Your Own" thread in Poke Polls, and the whole Fan Art subforum. If you have just a quick little idea for a fake Pokemon or two, it hardly justifies its own separate thread. If you have a whole Fakedex, you do get to make your very own thread - in Fan Art. My honest opinion is that these two resources together provide the whole wide range of creative outlets.

Though refreshing the Polls thread is certainly a wise idea. We can have yearly editions, maybe, and that'd give us the chance to compare fan creativity across generations, ahaha.

Edit: Well, look at that! Three places to put your Fakemon ideas already.
    Last edited by Profesco; 1st October 2012 at 7:34 AM.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Also there's a Fakemon Club in the Clubs section, where you can post ideas.

The ability to see someone's old usernames...

Quote Originally Posted by mariobrosvswariobros View Post
    We still have the username change thread for that.

Speaking of...
    The name change thread is scheduled to be reopen every April and October.
    Guess what month it is.

Only just October now for some people with time zones, namely Ellie. =p Thread will appear soon though, I'm sure.

EDIT: About 15 minutes soon, in fact.

Seeing older usernames besides shifting though old threads would likely require addons, and guess what Joe still thinks about addons. =p
    Last edited by bobandbill; 1st October 2012 at 9:06 AM.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by mariobrosvswariobros View Post
    Go to the Name Change request thread and search for the current username you want to see the old one for. There's only two threads to look through. Not that difficult, I did it to search my PM's. I knew the users old name, but not what they changed it to, so I searched the April thread, and found what they had posted and subsequently, become.

How about restarting the "Claim a Pokemon Thread"? Heck, I would even do it.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    I hate your idea. It took me ages to get my desired claim.

So? I, along with many other people, like the claim forums and worked for our claims as well. And since the current one is closed, technically I don't think any claims count. There is also a simple solution: Just transfer over the claims, and any claimers that were/are inactive will be taken off the list. Either, way, I'd like to see it up and running again. I can't wait until v.6!
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

I think you should be able to change you polls becuse it has frustrated quite a few people.

~Credits to myself~

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSword7 View Post
    I hate your idea. It took me ages to get my desired claim.
    I totally agree, reopen the thread and move on. Do not want to restart.

And BTW, can BB code be alowed on the Bio/About Me thingy? THAT would be Lyrawesome :3 nya~

I'd like to suggest the rule on counting games in the Games section be changed. The fact that people keep posting in the three counting games everyday means that unless there's a sudden drop in interest for counting games or hell freezes over, we're stuck with the same three boring counting games. Can't we have a rotation of counting games or something?

(and no, I am not suggesting that the rule be lifted altogether, I'm suggesting the rule simply be altered so we aren't stuck with the same three games for eternity.)
    3DS FC: 0302-0291-6804

Move along, nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Alternatively, you could just write the pokemon's name down and not resort to using smilies. As you say, everybody knows the pokemon names, and can associate the name with what it looks like. I imagine a considerable amount of users would rather see the word Victreebel instead of a tiny bouncing
    Of course you could, that's irrelevant to what I am saying, because the icons exist and can be used.

icons via numbers:
    Extreme case: I know a few dozen by number (I doubt lots of people know more), by guessing them, like starters and legendaries.
    Normal case: Bulbasaur is 1, Mew is 151...thats about it.

icons via names:
    Extreme case: I know every single name and its 100% correct spelling, except for Pelipper and Octillery, which I am somtimes not sure about.
    Normal case: people know a varying percentage of names, with most being ones that don't have complex spelling.

The process of accessing them differs between the above scenarios in the following way
    -numbers
    Extreme case: have to look it up
    Normal case: have to look it up
    -names
    Extreme case: simply type the name out
    Normal case: type it out or have to look it up

So the number version is exclusively impractical, whereas the name version varies depending on a fans knowledge.

No one knows pokemon by their numbers. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    From what I understand, Vycksta is still planning to reopen it and manage everything.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast