Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 308

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2012 Edition

  1. #276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    -Snip-
    I agree wholeheartedly. I'd like to see this change made. Having to look up the numbers is a chore, especially when I could have just typed the name instead.

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Temsik Park
    Posts
    5,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    [insert long post here]
    That's a good idea, but what I think we should do is have both methods work e.g. ;umbreon; = , since some of us might have gotten used to using numbers (like me). Besides, using numbers saves time, too.

  3. #278
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Land of Insanity
    Posts
    4,276

    Default

    1. Ability to see oldest posts/started threads of a user in addition to the latest. It pains me a bit trying to find an old post, only for it to not be on that list.

    2. Sub forum for all closed threads. under General Pokémon disussion. It is ludicrously cluttered, and impossible to find a post in it.

    3. Create a Pokémon thread. I know there's the create/rename/change anything/everything! thread, but it's cluttered. Note though that in the thread you must follow a certain form because otherwise it would be impossible to manage.

    4. Ability to see a user's old username(s). Yes. there's the rename thread, but if I'm not mistaken, the old one gets deleted, making it impossible to know what it changed from/into.

    5. Isupport the name and number icons for Pokémon, as obviousle not everyone will know all numbers, while most'll probably know the name of it.

    6. This is very minor, but I think that the Unova Poké icons (the tiny ones) should be jumpy too. It makes it inconsistent otherwise.

    7. One thread with all in battle and out battle sprites of a generation. The reason I'm saying this is because it's pretty hard to find properly working sprites, and with this you would not need to go to several other webpages to search for them.

    8. Social groups? They're still gone right? If not then oops.

    9. Make a subforum in Games for all counting games, as there are quite a lot of them, and as they are very popular anyway, it would leave more room for the other games too.

    10. recreate the Claim a Pokémon thread (though I hear Vycksta is doing this anyway).


    11. My main problem here. The ability to change poll options of created threads.

    12. The ability to pass on the ability to edit a post of yours to another user. This is probably very much wanted in clubs and clans. Especcially when the leader or co-leader leaves and is unable to atten, it would be possible for someone else to step in and still have acces to that post.

    13. A returning member/hiatus announcement subforum on the Newbie forum. Quite a lot of users have these, and they tend to get cluttered along the newbies joining too, and as there are so many joining, it is hard for anyone to see the thread.

    14. a seperate Serebii forums questions subforum in the Newbie forum. It would leave it easier to distinguish, and easier to get to.

  4. #279
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    1. Ability to see oldest posts/started threads of a user in addition to the latest. It pains me a bit trying to find an old post, only for it to not be on that list.

    2. Sub forum for all closed threads. under General Pokémon disussion. It is ludicrously cluttered, and impossible to find a post in it.

    3. Create a Pokémon thread. I know there's the create/rename/change anything/everything! thread, but it's cluttered. Note though that in the thread you must follow a certain form because otherwise it would be impossible to manage.

    4. Ability to see a user's old username(s). Yes. there's the rename thread, but if I'm not mistaken, the old one gets deleted, making it impossible to know what it changed from/into.

    5. Isupport the name and number icons for Pokémon, as obviousle not everyone will know all numbers, while most'll probably know the name of it.

    6. This is very minor, but I think that the Unova Poké icons (the tiny ones) should be jumpy too. It makes it inconsistent otherwise.

    7. One thread with all in battle and out battle sprites of a generation. The reason I'm saying this is because it's pretty hard to find properly working sprites, and with this you would not need to go to several other webpages to search for them.

    8. Social groups? They're still gone right? If not then oops.

    9. Make a subforum in Games for all counting games, as there are quite a lot of them, and as they are very popular anyway, it would leave more room for the other games too.

    10. recreate the Claim a Pokémon thread (though I hear Vycksta is doing this anyway).


    11. My main problem here. The ability to change poll options of created threads.

    12. The ability to pass on the ability to edit a post of yours to another user. This is probably very much wanted in clubs and clans. Especcially when the leader or co-leader leaves and is unable to atten, it would be possible for someone else to step in and still have acces to that post.

    13. A returning member/hiatus announcement subforum on the Newbie forum. Quite a lot of users have these, and they tend to get cluttered along the newbies joining too, and as there are so many joining, it is hard for anyone to see the thread.

    14. a seperate Serebii forums questions subforum in the Newbie forum. It would leave it easier to distinguish, and easier to get to.
    2. Most closed threads in GPD get merged into the Closed Thread Container. They were closed for a reason so I'm not sure why you would want to find them again.
    3. This was answered at the top of the page. Apart from the Create Your Own thread in PokePolls, you can post a thread in Fan Art (provided you have art of course), or join the Fakemon Creators Club in the Clubs section.
    4. The old one isn't deleted; it's just unstickied, so all you need to do is search back a few pages for the old thread. A Past Usernames field on profiles requires an add-on/hack I believe, and Joe isn't a huge fan of them.
    6. imo it would be far more tolerable for them all to be static but yeah.
    7. The main Serebii site, Bulbapedia and PokemonElite2000 all have large sprite collections and are all easy to navigate.
    8. Yeah they're gone.
    9. That's sort of unnecessary (why not make a sub-forum for all the different kinds of games, then? Let's have a sub-forum for the "Rate..." games, a sub-forum for the Mafia games, another sub-forum for the "Caption" games, another for the Game Show style games...) and plus, the Games Rules mention only three Counting Games being allowed so your point to there being lots of them is moot.
    11. That's something that can't be changed without a hack. If you need Poll Options changed, mods of the particular section (or any smods and admins) can edit the poll.
    12. Not possible.
    13. It doesn't seem necessary.
    14. Doesn't seem necessary. Plus, I fail to see how it will be easier to access a sub-forum of Newbie Lounge compared to the main Newbie Lounge section. Also, the section is called SPPf Help & Newbie Lounge so it is pretty clear that that's where people can go if they need SPPf help.

  5. #280
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Potato
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    About #8. Social Groups were (and are still) considered unregulatable spam dumps. We will never see them again.

    There are a couple of things we used to have that definitely won't be seeing a return:
    Social Groups
    Reputation System

    A couple things we had that probably won't ever be seeing a return:
    Shiny Hunters Club
    Super Smash Bros threads
    (both of which fall under the category of "you are the reason we can't have nice things." Because people raised too much of a fuss about both.)

    And a couple of things that would be nice to have but are also unlikely to ever be implemented:
    5th gen bouncy sprite smilies
    Avatars for 1st and 2nd gen Pokémon spites, as well as trainer avatars for characters from Pokémon Colosseum/XD: Gale of Darkness
    (All of which are either considered unnecessary, obsolete, and/or a waste of time.)
    Last edited by Eternalserenity; 30th October 2012 at 11:27 AM.

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    689

    Default

    I'd like users to be able to appeal signature bans. I know, some strikes I've deserved, but sometimes I've recieved strikes and haven't got the chance to read a mod's thoughts on it, much less change it.

    So like, when you get your fifth strike (IIRC), you can appeal it after some time, and then you get a final chance. You screw up again and then you really are sig banned with no but's.

  7. #282
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Llantrisant
    Posts
    6,876

    Default

    So you want us to make it 6 chances to follow the rules? Why not, appeal after your fourth strike and then on the fifth it's tough luck. Or get the hint after your 3rd strike that you're not following them properly and don't be so incapable of following the sig rules that you actually get through three weeks of ban to need to be sig banned.

  8. #283
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Llantrisant
    Posts
    6,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    1. Ability to see oldest posts/started threads of a user in addition to the latest. It pains me a bit trying to find an old post, only for it to not be on that list.
    I don't think the forums go back to the oldest posts via the search engines installed in profiles. I've tested it on other forums, and none of them go back to my first posts, they only go back so far.

    2. Sub forum for all closed threads. under General Pokémon disussion. It is ludicrously cluttered, and impossible to find a post in it.
    I'll bring it up.

    3. Create a Pokémon thread. I know there's the create/rename/change anything/everything! thread, but it's cluttered. Note though that in the thread you must follow a certain form because otherwise it would be impossible to manage.
    I suggest you PM this idea to Profesco and the other GD mods.

    4. Ability to see a user's old username(s). Yes. there's the rename thread, but if I'm not mistaken, the old one gets deleted, making it impossible to know what it changed from/into.
    Sort of defeats the object of a person changing their name. If you want to know what a person was called before, you can ask them.

    5. Isupport the name and number icons for Pokémon, as obviousle not everyone will know all numbers, while most'll probably know the name of it.
    I still don't understand why if you want to write the name of the pokemon for the smilie, you don't just write the name and be done with it. Most'll know the name of it, so why do they need a 32-square icon to identify the pokemon in question?

    6. This is very minor, but I think that the Unova Poké icons (the tiny ones) should be jumpy too. It makes it inconsistent otherwise.
    Or the others be static would be better. We wouldn't have to have a abusing smilies rule if they were so frustrating.

    7. One thread with all in battle and out battle sprites of a generation. The reason I'm saying this is because it's pretty hard to find properly working sprites, and with this you would not need to go to several other webpages to search for them.
    Ask in Fanart.

    8. Social groups? They're still gone right? If not then oops.
    When moderating the forum comes with a paycheque, maybe they'll come back. But other wise, no way in hell.

    9. Make a subforum in Games for all counting games, as there are quite a lot of them, and as they are very popular anyway, it would leave more room for the other games too.
    A subforum for one type of game? What happens when another game becomes really popular? No.

    10. recreate the Claim a Pokémon thread (though I hear Vycksta is doing this anyway).
    Ask Vycksta then, it's run by her, not the forum.

    11. My main problem here. The ability to change poll options of created threads.
    I'll bring it up, but if it's a forum hack then it wont happen.

    12. The ability to pass on the ability to edit a post of yours to another user. This is probably very much wanted in clubs and clans. Especcially when the leader or co-leader leaves and is unable to atten, it would be possible for someone else to step in and still have acces to that post.
    Give them your username and password if you trust them enough. Because that's the only way it will happen.

    13. A returning member/hiatus announcement subforum on the Newbie forum. Quite a lot of users have these, and they tend to get cluttered along the newbies joining too, and as there are so many joining, it is hard for anyone to see the thread.
    If they've been gone long enough to need a thread, then they're more likely to go straight to the forums they usually went to, instead of posting in the newbie forum, where they'll get lots of "Hey, I don't remember you, but welcome back" which isn't much of a welcome back anyway.

    14. a seperate Serebii forums questions subforum in the Newbie forum. It would leave it easier to distinguish, and easier to get to.
    Don't really see the point given we have an FAQ thread anyway.

  9. #284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    I still don't understand why if you want to write the name of the pokemon for the smilie, you don't just write the name and be done with it.
    Because it's far easier to write the name of the Pokémon rather than having to look up its Dex number. It's more convenient.

    Most'll know the name of it, so why do they need a 32-square icon to identify the pokemon in question?
    Irrelevant. That's not why the smilies are used.

  10. #285
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Llantrisant
    Posts
    6,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Because it's far easier to write the name of the Pokémon rather than having to look up its Dex number. It's more convenient.

    Irrelevant. That's not why the smilies are used.
    Then why are they used?

  11. #286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Then why are they used?
    I slightly misunderstood. Of course they're used to identify the Pokémon, but they're used over the words for visual purposes, like in the Games forum or displaying Pokémon teams. It doesn't matter if one knows the name, as one may simply wish to display an icon instead.

    This is just confusing me, so I'll move on...

    In the end, it makes more sense to make this change. So what if people know the name? That doesn't matter; they want to display an icon, not the letters of the name. If you're saying that people use the icons because they don't know the names, do you really think they know the National Dex number? Put simply, there are more people that know the names than those that know the numbers, so why not make it easier for them to use the icons?

  12. #287
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Potato
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Then why are they used?
    I'll add to this. The Pokémon smilies themselves take up less overall space than the actual words, making them ideal for displaying teams and whatnot in signatures. People want the 5th gen smilies to bounce because it is aesthetically pleasing for them to be cohesive with the smilies that do move.

  13. #288
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Then why are they used?
    You're still missing the point. Why they exist is irrelevant and by your logic they should not even exist.
    I don't care what they are used for.

    I personally sometimes use them for whatever.

    I'm saying they are easier to access in one way over the current way, and that is my point.

  14. #289
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Llantrisant
    Posts
    6,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    You're still missing the point. Why they exist is irrelevant and by your logic they should not even exist.
    If the reason for them existing is irrelevant, then they do not need to exist. We'l take them off the forum, and whenever people ask where they've gone we'll just say "Where they have gone is irrelevant".

    I'm saying they are easier to access in one way over the current way, and that is my point.
    I have not missed the point. You want to be able to write ;mew; instead of ;151; in order to make appear. I get that, i'm not stupid. You are missing my point, and other than the reason Eternal Sword gave me, nobody else has bothered responding to it. You've just jumped up and put words in my mouth. I asked, why if you are going to write the name of the pokemon, can't you just stay with the name of the pokemon. Why is having an image a necessity? You don't communicate anything else pokemon related with images.

    "Hey my favourite types are and "

    I don't care what they are used for.

    I personally sometimes use them for whatever.
    This tells me that you are just using them because they are there to be used.

  15. #290

    Default

    Why does it matter what they're used for (besides, their uses have been given already)? We want to be able to use them in a more convenient manner.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    I have not missed the point. You want to be able to write ;mew; instead of ;151; in order to make appear. I get that, i'm not stupid.
    Yes, so what's the problem? Don't you see that that would make it far easier to use the icons?

  16. #291
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    It doesn't really matter which system is used to display the smilies. Looking up the dex number takes no time at all with the internet being what it is today.
    Also, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but a lot of people seemingly don't know how (or don't care to) spell the names of the pokemon correctly within the forums.
    So, between the hassle (which it kind of is) of changing a system from one method to another and the fact that after the changes everyone who can't or won't spell will come crying to put it back to the old way, it may as well just be left the way it is.
    Free Rattatas. PM me
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

  17. #292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangertrout View Post
    Looking up the dex number takes no time at all with the internet being what it is today.
    Tell me, which is quicker and more convenient: Typing the name of a Pokémon (which you know), or searching for the National Dex number, then typing that?

    Also, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but a lot of people seemingly don't know how (or don't care to) spell the names of the pokemon correctly within the forums.
    Do these people know the National Dex numbers?

  18. #293
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Llantrisant
    Posts
    6,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Why does it matter what they're used for (besides, their uses have been given already)? We want to be able to use them in a more convenient manner.
    Because I asked why, and if you can't give an answer that isn't childish bawing, then I don't see why I should answer your questions either. It's called manners. You want an answer, you give an answer in return. I wanted to know what they are used for. "It's irrelevant" is not an answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Tell me, which is quicker and more convenient: Typing the name of a Pokémon (which you know), or searching for the National Dex number, then typing that?
    Typing the name obviously. That's what I've been saying. You want quick, you want easy. Type the name. You want to use the smilies, then use the system in place for the smilies.

    Do these people know the National Dex numbers?
    It's a lot harder to make a numerical mistake when you only use three digits that are universally recognised by all languages, than making a spelling mistake when you have numerous letters that are not recognised by every language. Do we put the pokemon names in japanese as well for the people who live in Japan and therefore use the original Japanese names? Do we also put them in Katakana as well? The national dex numbers are the same, in every version of the game, across the world.

    English: Victreebel
    Japanese: ウツボット or Utsubot
    French: Boustiflor
    German: Sarzenia
    Korean: 우츠보트 or Ucheuboteu

    English: 071
    Japanese: 071
    French: 071
    Spanish: 071
    Italian: 071
    German: 071
    Korean: 071

  19. #294
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Tell me, which is quicker and more convenient: Typing the name of a Pokémon (which you know), or searching for the National Dex number, then typing that?


    Do these people know the National Dex numbers?
    For your first question, I know both so dex number is quicker because only 3 digits to type.
    For the second, they might. I know many people who are terrible with spelling but have an amazing memory for numbers.
    Free Rattatas. PM me
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

  20. #295
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Castelia City
    Posts
    154

    Default

    You can only make a new thread once you've got your first rank. ( Not including Newbie Lounge and introductory posts)
    Just because there all all these newbies not knowing where to post threads and just making crap threads. No offence to them or anything.

    Also this is just a personal request, isn't necessary, but maybe Serebii could add shiny Ken Sugimori art?

    Fc: 3695-0172-1881



        Spoiler:- Credits:

  21. #296
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Potato
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    ^ That only sounds good in theory. Truth is, there are veteran users who only post in places that don't add to postcount. Furthermore, new users won't be able to start art shops, or trade shops, or even games for that matter. What would happen is users would simply spam up the various existing threads to upgrade their user rank for the "right" to start threads. Which is obviously worse than the supposed problem you're suggesting be fixed.
    tl;dr, It's basically a bad idea through and through.

  22. #297
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Tell me, which is quicker and more convenient: Typing the name of a Pokémon (which you know), or searching for the National Dex number, then typing that?
    Doesn't matter. Going to the valid reason, ES7 said that some people that want these do so for their sig. If that's the case, you're already spending some time editing it. Spending a few more seconds to look up a number when your already editing it isn't going to kill you. I'd rather people get sick of looking up the number instead of making a post like this.

    Which happens all the time in GPD. Why make it easier to someone to spam something that's clearly annoying and doesn't add to the topic?

  23. #298
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    If the reason for them existing is irrelevant, then they do not need to exist. We'l take them off the forum, and whenever people ask where they've gone we'll just say "Where they have gone is irrelevant".



    I have not missed the point. You want to be able to write ;mew; instead of ;151; in order to make appear. I get that, i'm not stupid. You are missing my point, and other than the reason Eternal Sword gave me, nobody else has bothered responding to it. You've just jumped up and put words in my mouth. I asked, why if you are going to write the name of the pokemon, can't you just stay with the name of the pokemon. Why is having an image a necessity? You don't communicate anything else pokemon related with images.

    "Hey my favourite types are and "
    No. The reason for them existing is irrelevant, because they do exist and we do use them, but discuss their accessability... I mean, I went and looked for a thread like this, to post this suggestion, so unless I was trying to simply piss you off, isn't that enough?

    Okay Ill try: I use them because I like them, I like to look at a longer post that explains things and have icons along them. I use them to point things out or just for fun, just like I use bold or "-" for listing stuff. If I was suggesting that bold should be used via c instead of b because it would be more convenient for reason x, would I need to list reasons what I use bold before we get to the point? For text in posts!

    Whenever I use them, its usually ~10. like this
    Last time I made a thread about fossil pokemon. I used their icons in the first post. Things like that.


    Someone made the icons, I dont know why, ask them. I merely saw them, used them several times to pep up a post, noticed how I am googling for a dozen dex numbers by typing the name, figured I will probably want to use more in the future, and that made me realize names would be more convenient. I thought it'd make it easier for others too.

    If they wouldn't be there, yes I could live without them, just like I could live without any of the buttons above the text editing field.



    Btw
    Id love to have type icons like you posted even more than the pkmn ones!! .-.
    Well better quality I hope but is that doable? (bulbapedia has gen V ones on most pages)
    Last edited by Mitja; 4th November 2012 at 11:30 AM.

  24. #299
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    688

    Default

    1. Are we ever going to get the small animated gifs like this () for the 5th generation Pokemon?

    2. Is there a purpose in having the rule that posts in the Pokepolls board would not count towards post count?

    Whether there's an actual poll being held or not in a polls thread, most people would still discuss and post their opinions with respect to the question.

    Moreover, sometimes threads created in GPD might be moved to Pokepolls because the nature of the question may seem "poll-like", yet the question may have a range of answers that cannot fit into a single poll, and the above rule could dissuade people from bringing their discussion over there instead.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

  25. #300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    1. Are we ever going to get the small animated gifs like this () for the 5th generation Pokemon?
    No. It's not necessary to add more and they take up a lot more bandwidth than you would think.
    2. Is there a purpose in having the rule that posts in the Pokepolls board would not count towards post count?

    Whether there's an actual poll being held or not in a polls thread, most people would still discuss and post their opinions with respect to the question.

    Moreover, sometimes threads created in GPD might be moved to Pokepolls because the nature of the question may seem "poll-like", yet the question may have a range of answers that cannot fit into a single poll, and the above rule could dissuade people from bringing their discussion over there instead.
    Most of the time (note 'most'), people just "respond" to poll-type threads with what they picked and carry on. It's usually just +1 and shouldn't contribute towards post count.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •