Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #60

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    This could be cool if someone could think up a good one.
    'Towel Guard'? I really dunno. It is a cool idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    That's because you have to use a Love Ball, and a Respect Ball. Just trying to force yourself into their life by throwing balls in their face doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    This could be cool if someone could think up a good one.
    The Cosmic ***hole

Default Status Inflictor/Supporter Sigilyph

Status Inflictor/Support

EV: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Item: Toxic Orb
    --Psycho Shift
    --Reflect/Light Screen
    --Tailwind
    --Attract

My preferred Sigilyph: Used in double battle scenario. Begin with Reflect or Light Screen to boost defense. Then you become poisioned between turns. Use Psycho Shift to send over a special present for your opponent. Then support teammate with speed boost, Tailwind. I also like to keep Attract handy, so if in a single battle scenario, you won't need to take as many hits.
    The Darkness shall fall upon all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalacking View Post
    For the cosmic power one how about a reference to hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy... "The life, the universe and everything" "so long and thanks for all the sigilyph" or "the sigilyph at the end of the universe"
    lol, I like this one a lot.

+ cool points for you!

Sigilyph used to be that weirdo with a funny-looking body and that weird eye. Then I used it in-game, and I was like "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!" Seriously, this thing is AMAZING.

Wonder Skin: Don't bother. This doesn't even have the level of protection of Shield Dust; I get the feeling that crack-addled Game Freak decided to make things a tiny bit more difficult for us and added in a useless ability. Like Reuniclus' Overcoat when Magic Guard does EXACTLY THE SAME THING BUT BETTER.
    Magic Guard: Yes, this! This removes all extra damaging effects from poison, burn, sandstorm, etc. While certain other special sweepers already have this *coughAlakazam*, Sigilyph has a resistance, giving it a lovely niche.
    Tinted Lens: Whatever Sigilyph can do with this, Venomoth can do it better, and Venomoth has access to Quiver Dance as well. While Venomoth doesn't have that sexy resistance, it does have a Gen1 movepool that is significantly better than Sigilyph's. But worry not, Sigilyph, you are loved with that Magic Guard.

Anti-Meta Guardian
    Sigilyph @ Choice Scarf/Specs
    Magic Guard
    Flame Orb
    ~Flash Cannon
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Psyshock/Psychic
    ~Thunderbolt

Sigilyph may not have the best moveset, but by God he's got a good one. This is for all those just-past-noobs who think that Smogon is everything and everything else is nothing. Which is ironic, because Sigichoice is the very definition of meta.

Sigilyph finds a nice niche on Gravity teams, too. Gravity abuse can be really, really fun. It also learns Telekinesis and Miracle Eye. Pick any two, you'll get a no-miss hax team, no need for No Guard. Make the most of it and include Hypnosis (among others). Best used in Doubles.

Bleh, now I'm just talking for the sake of talking. Hope I helped while I was helpful! Sigilyph is a one-man army, and it's painful to go up against him without his counters, like Jynx or Weavile.

Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
    Anti-Meta Guardian
    Magic Guard
    Flame Orb
    ~Flash Cannon
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Psyshock/Psychic
    ~Thunderbolt

Sigilyph may not have the best moveset, but by God he's got a good one. This is for all those just-past-noobs who think that Smogon is everything and everything else is nothing. Which is ironic, because Sigichoice is the very definition of meta.
    You have Flame Orb there, but you already have the 2 main items listed.
    Also at the first sentence there, lol.

Lets nickname sigylyph as the triforce wings or bearer of the triforce wings
    Current Chapter: 35: Methol's Need (Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by ClefairyRox View Post
    That's all well and good, except for the fact that Sigilyph can't learn Trick.
    Oops. Though it got it through breeding...
    I do not have a sig...

How about "The 42'nd Set"?
    ...Well, if you think I'm gonna type my name in some rediculous swirly cursive font, well, that's not happening. At least for now.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" -Steve Wozniak

Quote Originally Posted by Melonhead215 View Post
    How about "The 42'nd Set"?
    Nah. I think enough people will realize it's a hitchhiker reference.

Anti-Meta Guardian
    Magic Guard
    Flame Orb
    ~Flash Cannon
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Psyshock/Psychic
    ~Thunderbolt
    What's the point of Flash Cannon on this set?
    Venemo Oscuridad - 50 Points
    Check out Mega Sableye's shield. It's a giant rupee! It's true, money does solve all your problems!

On no account let a sigilyph read poetry to you?
    Last edited by Jackalacking; 21st February 2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Credits:Magicmochi

Credits:Pkmnfn

Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post

Anti-Meta Guardian
    Magic Guard
    Flame Orb
    ~Flash Cannon
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Psyshock/Psychic
    ~Thunderbolt
    Two problems though. Why would you use Flash Cannon where it covers two types (Rock and Ice) whereas you can easily use Hidden Power fighting which covers both and as well covers two things that can counter Sigilyph (Dark and Steel). Also Sigilyph can't learn Thunderbolt :P

My favorite sigilyph set.

Sigilyph @ Choice specs
    Timid/Magic guard
    252 sp 252 sp atk 4 sp. def
    -Energy ball
    -Ice beam
    -psychic
    -air slash

A pretty self explanatory choice set he may not have access to boltbeam air slash and psychic are pretty good replacements
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/1z1d54y.png[/IMG]

Spoiler:- FC:

Spoiler:- Team Enchanted Garden:

Spoiler:- pending trades:

Quote Originally Posted by Piplupstars View Post
    Two problems though. Why would you use Flash Cannon where it covers two types (Rock and Ice) whereas you can easily use Hidden Power fighting which covers both and as well covers two things that can counter Sigilyph (Dark and Steel). Also Sigilyph can't learn Thunderbolt :P
    I think I can guess the two main reasons for Flash Cannon:
    1. It's stronger than Hidden Power at maximum Base Power. With Flash Cannon's Base 80 against Hidden Power (Fighting)'s Base 70 (if you're lucky outside a metagame), I'd take Flash Cannon, too.
    2. It's easier to access outside a metagame without tearing your hair out trying to get the perfect setup for it.

If you want more reasons for Flash Cannon, I'd say:
    3. So that Ghost Types can't free-switch into you.
    4. You can handle most Dark and/or Steel Type with neutral coverage from the Ice + Electric Move-Type combo.
    5. A rare chance to lower Sp.Def never hurts if you're lucky...
    6. You'd be an idiot to stand your ground against Dark and/or Steel Types anyway.

Tyranitar and Heatran are calling anyone who would use Flash Cannon Sigilyph out.

Fight on the black top round 3 PM. They aren't afraid of Flash Cannon as much as Sigylph is afraid of the retaliation.

Lol Steel is a terrible offensive type... Sigi doesn't even have STAB on it... And barely 100 base Sp.Attack isn't enough force to warrant the extra 10 base power over HP Fighting.....the super effective coverage far outclasses the slightly higher damage output in certain, distinct scenarios...
    On a side note, I lol at everybody who throws attacks into the mix that Sigi can't even learn

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    Lol Steel is a terrible offensive type... Sigi doesn't even have STAB on it... And barely 100 base Sp.Attack isn't enough force to warrant the extra 10 base power over HP Fighting.....the super effective coverage far outclasses the slightly higher damage output in certain, distinct scenarios...
    On a side note, I lol at everybody who throws attacks into the mix that Sigi can't even learn
    I didn't say I recommended Flash Cannon, though. I merely stated facts about it in relation to why one would use it over HP (Fighting).

Sigilyph VS Dark and/or Steel Types should always end with the decision for Sigilyph to switch out. Facing your critical enemies with average defenses, even if buffed once or twice, is an exercise in futility.

Tyranitar? Sand Stream gives it a passive Sp.Def buff and will keep Sandstorm up. Heatran? Outclasses most Pokemon like Sigilyph entirely. Even then, Ground would be a slightly more appropriate Hidden Power since most Dark Types (barring pure Dark and Dark/Ghost) have a second Type that Sigilyph can exploit for Super-Effective damage with proper Move choice.

The Steel Type has more issue from HP (Ground) than HP (Fighting) as well. You lose some coverage to gain Super-Effective coverage on a few extra Types.

Dual STAB alone governs neutral-or-better coverage over everything except Steel, Steel/Psychic, Steel/Rock, Steel/Dragon, Dark/Steel, Water/Steel, Steel/Ground, Fire/Steel, Electric/Steel, Flying/Steel, Solrock, Lunatone, and Tyranitar:
    -Adding HP (Ground) drops that list to Levitate Bronzor/zong, Skarmory, Solrock, and Lunatone. Two major and three minor threats for better Super-Effective coverage.
    -Adding HP (Fighting) covers all of those Types and Pokemon, but with lesser effectiveness than HP (Ground) on a good selection of them. A really good trade-off to consider.
    ...remember that Air Slash isn't too terrible, especially with a Flinch chance, so it must always be considered.

Even after the Fighting VS Ground Hidden Power issue, you still have a fourth Move to consider. Ice Beam gives coverage over 3 of the 5 Pokemon that HP (Ground) struggles with and is a rather hearty Move staple.

Psycho Wall

Psycho Shift
    Stored Power
    Cosmic Power/Calm Mind
    Roost

Ability: Magic Guard
    Nature: Bold
    Item: Flame Orb
    Ev's: 252 HP, 200 Def, 56 Speed/Sp.def

The set it seems to be best suited for. Psycho Shift is the crux of the set, it off loads the burn the flame orb gives to the opponent especially if they are dark types and cripple physical attackers like Tyranitar. Cosmic Power is another crux boosting your defences to high levels that even tyranitar with or without a burn can find tricky to defeat. Calm Mind is an alternative crux and makes Stored Power even stronger.Roost heals half you health, along with your heightened defences and a burned physical attacker makes Sigilyph even harder to kill. Stored Power is its only way of attack. It gains 20 power every time it's stats go up and with cosmic power and calm mind boosting up 2 stats thats means 40 extra power each use(max:260+STAB).

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalacking View Post
    On no account let a sigilyph read poetry to you?
    Good idea.
    And the poetry could be psycho shift, making them burn with pain?
    ...Well, if you think I'm gonna type my name in some rediculous swirly cursive font, well, that's not happening. At least for now.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" -Steve Wozniak

Default Wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Ok I know this is a stupid request, but does anyone have any good set names? I can spew out competitive sets until my butt hurts but when it comes to original names.. yeah I suck.
    Hey here's a set:
    I set my weapon from stun to KILL!!
    Siligyph w/ Choice specs or scarf.
    252 in sp.atk and speed... 4 hp
    Tinted lens
    Psyshock
    Ice beam
    Air slash/ Shadow ball/ Flash cannon
    Energy ball

Someone said to leave Tinted lens to Venomoth- I say this is better (Though I wish that Mewtwo got this ability, 'all seeing eyes for combat', y'know?)
    Psyshock and Ice beam have perfect synergy with the ability. The rest are fillers, but most of them are decent enough to try.

If you really want a cool name and set combo, wait 'til Frosslass. I got an awesome set name for that. Next week: Frosslass or Jynx. PLEASE!
    Apparently, I can't claim Larvesta. But who cares?
    It's still the cutest bug eva!

I am The Grovyle, that friend in a high place.

The craziest battle I ever had- Toxic spikes supported baton passing team, with a Splashing Wailord. And won. You have to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    I didn't say I recommended Flash Cannon, though. I merely stated facts about it in relation to why one would use it over HP (Fighting).
    Not facts, opinion. And on topic of Flash Cannon.. you are wrong. There is virtually no reason to use Flash Cannon if HP Fighting is usable. Sorry, hitting Lunatone harder is not a good reason.

hehe, I'm pretty strained on time right now so I'll keep this concise

Just as Alomomola is a ripoff of Luvdisc, Sigilyph is an "evolution" of Unown.
    Magic Guard outranks Wonder Skin. Tinted Lens is plausible when going offensive.

The most common set I've seen is Psycho Shift Flame Orb, Cosmic Power, Roost, Stored Power.
    Other possible moves are Calm Mind, Hypnosis, and Whirlwind. Siggy is extremely unique in both its typing and the moves it has access too.

In comparison to Xatu:
    Xatu is more of a supporter Pokemon, with moves like Wish and Baton Pass and U-turn. Siggy is more selfish and also more offensively-based. It is notable a few of Xatu's more useful moves are incompatible with Magic Bounce. Siggy does get Whirlwind over Xatu, though.

Of course, Magic Bounce is meant to allow Xatu to punish the opponent for using Other moves. Magic Guard is just a protection effect for Siggy exclusively. This can be seen in how Xatu can completely block the opponent from using Stealth Rock when used properly, while Siggy can allow the opponent to use SR, just not to be harmed by SR itself. With this in mind, clearly Xatu is more necessary if you intend to switch often and lack some Rock resistances, whilst Siggy intends to stay outside its Poke Ball for much of the game.

Xatu's only higher stat is Attack, which should rarely matter outside of Choice Band Xatu. Both Pokemon are also surprisingly fast, with Siggy just nudging out in Speed. In terms of Trick Room, I would usually say I would prefer to take Xatu. Siggy is plausible in itself to run Life Orbed Trick Room.

In terms of Siggy's most popular set, the Psycho Shifter, Dark-Types pose the greatest threat, especially Special Attackers, or most of all, Sableye or Houndoom.

I also don't see why Flash Cannon is becoming such a debate.
    If you want a supplementary attack, at least consider Air Slash. If not that, please at least honour Siggy's vast moveset by teaching it Ice Beam, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, anything that has better Type coverage than Steel. I'd rather use Swagger than Flash Cannon.
    Last edited by PhilosophicalPsychologica; 23rd February 2012 at 5:53 AM.

This guy has been famous for frustrating a lot of lower tier players since the day he arrived.

I'm not going to write out my set, as it's already been written down a few times but I believe the best is simple old flame orb, max speed and HP, roost, CP, SP, and Psycho shift or air slash (use leftovers if the latter is being used).

Countering the totempole: Whimsicott is a great counter to him or anything with a very fast taunt. Taunt him quickly before he gets a lot of CP boosts and his SP is still weak and switch to something that can hit him hard such as aggron.

If you don't want taunt, then something with guts also does a good job, such as swellow. Plain old phazing does the job too, drapion especially, as he has taunt and whirlwind and can set t-spikes while sigiliyph is left helpless.

Using him: He is best used in UU and RU where he belongs. In OU, there are too many things that can prey on him easily before he gets a lot of boosts up, such as terrakion and scizor.
    Is a Jesus Freak and proud of it

Here's a note: since it is weak to stealth rock... no reason to use something that isn't magic guard it's like using tyranitar with unnerve or sableye with stall.. no reason AT ALL!
    If it had rapid spin it would be so much better... oh well.

all the viable sets were posted (too lazy to check)

so main sets: choice specs and the stored power sets being pretty awesome on sigilyph

about the set names Machu Pichu maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Sorry I'm late for set names but...

- It has the power! - CP+SP set
    - Third Eye of Choice - Choice Specs
    - Where is the neck? - Choice Scarf

Yeah some stink. Being completely serious with the first one though.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast