Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Triad - A case of Adaptational Villainy or elaborate Red Herring?

Hybrid View

Default Shadow Triad - A case of Adaptational Villainy or elaborate Red Herring?

Well, I made this and I wanted to know what you people think. The clues are there, and I've been gathering them for a while now.

This has nothing to do with the games, and is strictly for Pokemon Adventures.

And yes, this has been done to death, but not for this manga. I don't care if you don't believe them to be the Shadow Triad, it's just a theory and that's all it is until their true identities are revealed.

Sorry if the images are too big, just wanted to get all the info.

Spoiler:- Shadow Triad 1 - An brief explanation:

Spoiler:- Shadow Triad 2 - Bad puns ahoy:

Spoiler:- Shadow Triad 3 - Caught them Red, Blue, and Green handed:

Spoiler:- Shadow Triad 4 - He's got the monkeys, let's see the monkeys:

Spoiler:- Shadow Triad 5 - A New Hope:

So, what do you think? Is there any holes in this that you like to point out? (No, I don't care about spelling errors)

Any ideas you'd like to add?

You know what? I think that Kusaka himself doesn't know if it's a red herring and not. It's probably just his guess of those guys' identity. But he may waiting for Grey to reveal their identities.

If Grey indeed reveals them and it turns out that they AREN'T Striaton Brothers, then we'll just be supposed to act like we've never seen any "hints" at all (and their look will probably get slightly altered for tankobon version, to remove these false hints).

But if the game DOES reveal them as the Brothers or doesn't reveal/hint their identity at all, then those will indeed end up being Striaton Brothers in PokeSpe.

Kusaka probably just want to stay on the safe side.
    Last edited by Maxim; 21st February 2012 at 1:11 PM.
    After 12 years of being a Pokemon fan, I'm officially quitting the fandom. This is not a rage quit and it has nothing to do with the Pokemon franchise. It's also NOT a sudden decision - I've planned it for months but I decided to stay a true, active Pokemon fan until the very last day. The reason for my leave is the fact that I'm starting my studies at the Uni and I decided that it's a perfect moment to move on with my life. I'll never forget all these awesome years and Pokemon will always be a part of my childhood memories. Goodbye friends! Thank you.

And if I'm ever back, I'm never back for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    You know what? I think that Kusaka himself doesn't know if it's a red herring and not. It's probably just his guess of those guys' identity. But he may waiting for Grey to reveal their identities.

If Grey indeed reveals them and it turns out that they AREN'T Striaton Brothers, then we'll just be supposed to act like we've never seen any "hints" at all (and their look will probably get slightly altered for tankobon version, to remove these false hints).

But if the game DOES reveal them as the Brothers or doesn't reveal/hint their identity at all, then those will indeed end up being Striaton Brothers in PokeSpe.

Kusaka probably just want to stay on the safe side.
    That's what I most likely think too. Have that plotline potentially ready.
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

Perhaps if Grey doesn't reveal the Triad as the brothers, Kusaka will make them them on in the same anyways. He made Lt. Surge, Koga and Sabrina members of Team Rocket so why not?

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

I never cared about the Shadow Triad=Striaton Brothers, I always considered it the fanbase over thinking a situation. The games never mention Cilan, Cress, and Chili as the Shadow Triad, they are always a mystery, and why would the Gym Leaders help N and Team Plasma in the first place? Perhaps Grey will shed some light on this if they do confirm it to be true. Still Adventures is making it look very convincing so if it's confirmed true I would simply like to know why? That is all.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

I, for one, think this is all just one big herring. After all, Kusaka can be a bit of a troll. Plus, the Shadow Triad seems a little too buff. XP

Quote Originally Posted by pika09 View Post
    I, for one, think this is all just one big herring. After all, Kusaka can be a bit of a troll. Plus, the Shadow Triad seems a little too buff. XP
    Not exactly, Cilan, Cress, and Chili all wear baggy clothing, so it's hard to tell how their arms truly are.

Here's what I think:

#1, Masks. I never notice that each are different, but I can see a bit different depending by a shade of color: Blue is darker, Red is Light, and Green is moderate. But their hair styles changed to all white hair colors, and yes Shadow Traids should be hooded, not white headed.

#2, Pokemon: Pansage, Pansear, and Panpour. Busted, guys. You can never fool lolipiece that easy.

#3, Mannerism. A pose? They do look like the same poses as Cress, Chili, and Cilan. Gentlemen, you got some explaining to do.

Okay, for this thought, I do believe they have to be the Shadow Traids. I do agree with Maxim and matt. For not backing them up against the Shadow Traids, you nearly got yourself caught without a good excuse. Plus, these guys need to practice well as Shadow Traids by not exposing their pose and Pokemon, like how Masked Man didn't exposed himself as Pryce with Delibird, Houndoom, Gastly, and Ariados, and Gold busted him.

And finally, are they doing it as undercover agents or actually working for N? My guess, agents. How else did the gym leaders knew this was ganna happen?
    So, okay. This myth is confirmed.
    Last edited by Red_the_knight; 21st February 2012 at 5:22 PM. Reason: I almost forgot
    I am Red, Knights of the Pokemon Round Table. I have come afar to bring justice to all warriors and trainers with my valiant Pokemon and my weapon.

I believe in this theory. The hints are just too obvious and I really want it to be true.

Hmm Pod certainly gained more muscles though...they all did. It's hard to tell but being a major fan of the sweet!Sanyo boys I hope it's a red herring.

Even if they are "villains" I'm pretty certain they'll turn good at the end. Will, Karen, E4 (not sure with Agatha), Lance, Pryce (at the end), Lt. Surge, Koga and Sabrina did. I see no reason why these guys can't.

Also here's a thought What if in PokeSpe the Striaton Trio are undercover agents for the League/Gym leader association? I think that's be an epic twist given by how everyone feels they blew their cover xD

PFFT I'll just keep telling myself this
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 21st February 2012 at 6:31 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

I hope Grey (which could get a possible announcement this weekend, Masuda stated) will shed some more light on the Shadow Triad, because it certainly feels as if it's going to be even more plot heavy than Black and White themselves. Besides, Kusaka's the one who writes it, it's his own decision whether or not he wants to troll us or is a believer himself.

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Oh Kusatroll, you. Always sowing the seeds of chaos among the Pokemon fandom.

Now the question is whether or not they're double agents or something.
    Where'd I put my mallet?

Either seems equally likely at this point. My money's on Adaptational Villainy, or even a possible spoiler for Gray, but maybe there's something ridiculous being planned no one could even hazard a guess at.

Wasn't it a popular fan theory even before the manga actually got off the ground with the B/W chapter, though?

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Hey, save your Grays until it comes out. This is about either Cilan, Cress, or Chili are evil or not. I'm saying they're just undercover agents to get information for the Gym Leaders.
    Adaptational Villainy: Busted.
    Red Herring: Confirmed.
    I am Red, Knights of the Pokemon Round Table. I have come afar to bring justice to all warriors and trainers with my valiant Pokemon and my weapon.

Either way, the fact that we're even having this discussion shows that we've been trolled, no matter how it turns out.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Personally I'm guessing this is what they're getting at. It seems obvious - even more so after you made me notice the poses.

Pokespe has a habit of making random characters into antagonists. If they need a saving grace they can just say the trio is repaying Gheetis for saving their lives.

I also had suspicions that those three are the shadow triad. It's not the first time a gymleader is a badguy. I'd think that's be cool if they really are and Lolipiece's hints made it more obvious for me.

That actually does clear up why in the world that they were not with the other Gym Leaders at Plasma's Castle in the end of the games. Though this could just be one of these Special only villain roles like we have had in the past. Like Pyrce being the Mask of Ice in the GSC arc and Archie turning out to be Gullie Hideout in the Emerald arc. But hey , This would probably be just a conspericy for right now since that Gray could clear it up is if that was the main reasons why they weren't at Plasma Castle in the games.

there's no Battle Frontier?!

Are the Triad ever seen smiling from the front? I ask because the triplets have fairly distinctive smiles (especially Cilan). It's sort of hard to tell from a side-smile if they have similar smiles to the triplets or not, and the pics I've seen of their faces from the front tend to have less-than-happy expressions.

Anyway, I have to agree that I don't think it's quite set in stone in the manga itself yet. If they are revealed to be the triad/left ambiguous, then there will have been foreshadowing, otherwise the hints will have been a red herring (hopefully with a scene involving the other leaders suspecting the triplets only for the triad to appear). As was mentioned earlier by Maxim, this way plays it safe. They wouldn't want to have the triplets and triad show up in the same scene only to discover they are the same people later in the games, or otherwise reveal them to be the triad only to have the 3rd version show them fighting against each other or something. Anyone else think it's a little odd that even real manga authors have about as much to go on for their stories as the average fan-fic author? You'd think that those with real, licensed manga would get a little advanced info or something.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post

Here's the cover image, courtesy of Dogasu.
    Well, in this image, it certainly looks like the Shadow Triad member with the Liligant has Cilan's smile...
    Last edited by Ememew; 23rd February 2012 at 7:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ememew View Post
    Are the Triad ever seen smiling from the front? I ask because the triplets have fairly distinctive smiles (especially Cilan). It's sort of hard to tell from a side-smile if they have similar smiles to the triplets or not, and the pics I've seen of their faces from the front tend to have less-than-happy expressions.

Anyway, I have to agree that I don't think it's quite set in stone in the manga itself yet. If they are revealed to be the triad/left ambiguous, then there will have been foreshadowing, otherwise the hints will have been a red herring (hopefully with a scene involving the other leaders suspecting the triplets only for the triad to appear). As was mentioned earlier by Maxim, this way plays it safe. They wouldn't want to have the triplets and triad show up in the same scene only to discover they are the same people later in the games, or otherwise reveal them to be the triad only to have the 3rd version show them fighting against each other or something. Anyone else think it's a little odd that even real manga authors have about as much to go on for their stories as the average fan-fic author? You'd think that those with real, licensed manga would get a little advanced info or something.

EDIT:

Well, in this image, it certainly looks like the Shadow Triad member with the Liligant has Cilan's smile...
    Now they only need to take off those wigs and masks XD.

These two cover images are similar in style, with those guys in front and people on the background. Do I hear Kusaka and Yamamoto laughing or are they serious?
        Spoiler:- "[IMG139:

Quote Originally Posted by ReiZerou View Post
    These two cover images are similar in style, with those guys in front and people on the background. Do I hear Kusaka and Yamamoto laughing or are they serious?
    ..This is getting too obvious. I can't see it as being a big reveal.

As said, this manga doesn't really care much for canon. Last time I checked many of the early villains are neutral characters - even good guys - in the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ememew View Post
    Anyone else think it's a little odd that even real manga authors have about as much to go on for their stories as the average fan-fic author? You'd think that those with real, licensed manga would get a little advanced info or something.
    I don't. Because if they knew things in advanced the manga would spoil things. Plus they would have to do it for any other current Pokemon mangas as well, and it wouldn't be a good idea to tell them something in advance if they ended up changing their minds or not using it later on. It works best the way it is. Plus I think it makes Special more impressive that its done everything it has without knowing anymore than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    According to what Yamamoto-sensei said on Twitter, this is what they look like unmasked.
    Looks like Yamamoto decided to join in on the trolling too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomato-kun View Post
    As said, this manga doesn't really care much for canon. Last time I checked many of the early villains are neutral characters - even good guys - in the games.
    That's true, but there haven't been any good/neutral-game-characters-becoming-villians-in-Special since the Gold/Silver/Crystal arc. So I don't think Kusaka will go through with this unless it is confirmed in game canon. He might still go through with it if they're still left ambiguous in Gray too, but that's only a possibility, not a guarantee. As for the early manga villains, you have to remember at the time we didn't really know much about them or the Pokemon world, so I don't think it's really the same situation.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 24th February 2012 at 7:18 AM.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tomato-kun View Post
    ..This is getting too obvious. I can't see it as being a big reveal.

Well, it'd be a big reveal for the characters in context, since they obviously have no idea. That's probably the draw of it, as opposed to confirming the obvious.

And it's PokeSpecial, so inevitably they will find a way to make it a big deal. I agree that the Shadow Triad are more neutral in the sense that they are on the side of anyone they're loyal to -- which is Ghetsis, which makes them bad, but if they were to ever shift their loyalty, that could change.

Just a thought, I guess.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Quote Originally Posted by ReiZerou View Post
    Lolipiece has stated that also, but you're both right. it's too suspisious I guess we all would be surprised if they didn't turned out to be the Shadow triad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast