Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 301

Thread: Cilan Takes Flight (728)

  1. #276
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    How can people defend Cilan's witch hunt during the Skyla episodes when he himself didn't give a damn about his own Gym? Can anyone see the hypocrisy? Cilan left his Gym and practically said "screw the rules," but played the role of Gym regulator in Mistralton City.
    Um, wat. There are two other gym leaders in Striaton City who are perfectly happy to battle their challengers in Dent's place... It's not like there's nobody there.

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    If you don't want to use Clay as an example of a bad Gym Leader, then there's always Volkner. Funny how everyone keeps ignoring the Sunyshore City Gym case; Volkner was just giving out badges, yet the fanbase was okay with it. Even the main characters didn't seem to mind; I think Ash might've been shocked, but everyone fails to remember that Brock (who worked in the Gym Leader business) didn't give a damn about what Volkner was doing. You didn't see him throw a temper tantrum, yet our friend Cilan went on a witch hunt the moment he realized what Skyla was doing (and she wasn't doing much harm to begin with).
    I already addressed that.

    Ash was pissed at the idea of getting a badge without battling, just like he is with Skyla.

    As for Brock? Brock has never been entirely passionate about being a former gym leader.

    The difference is Brock would stare onward in confusion and be like "What? This isn't really how gyms are supposed to work." But won't get bent out of shape.

    Cilan on the other hand, has been proven to be a lot livelier and passionate about things (even Brock's crush gag was technically dull and mild). Since he still considers himself a gym leader, of course he's going to be upset when gym leaders don't give challengers a chance of to earn a badge.

    Again what Clay did, is incomparable to Skyla.

    How is delaying a gym battle for various reasons even anywhere near to the offense level as denying anyone a chance to earn a badge.

    Ash was even pissed at Fantina because she wasn't at her gym every time he was at Hearthome.

    Seriously stop singling out Cilan just because you people do not like him. It's getting ridiculous.

    If Ash gets upset with a gym leader's antics, then it shouldn't matter one way or another if Cilan gets passionately involved because he's a gym leader as well.

    Plus there's a difference between inconvenience-not-right-now-refusal (Clay) to straight out denial (Skyla). I mean after all the only reason why Cilan got to battle Skyla was because people wanted to see gym leaders battling each other. Likewise the only reason Ash was able to battle Skyla was because people wanted to see Skyla actually battling a challenger.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Um, wat. There are two other gym leaders in Striaton City who are perfectly happy to battle their challengers in Dent's place... It's not like there's nobody there.
    Exactly. Really I mean does it say that Striaton has to have 3 gym leaders in order to be a gym. Or is it simply because there are triplets and wanted all to be gym leaders. And the Pokemon league allowed it.

    After all if Black2 White2 are any indication. A gym with more than one leader, isn't exactly desirable.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 1st July 2012 at 9:19 PM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  3. #278
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ship to Hoenn
    Posts
    46,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Um, wat. There are two other gym leaders in Striaton City who are perfectly happy to battle their challengers in Dent's place... It's not like there's nobody there.
    You're missing the point. The rule of the Striaton City Gym is that there must be three Gym Leaders present so that challengers can choose which elemental monkey they're going to battle against. But with only two Gym Leaders, the rules are practically thrown out the window. Cilan knew this, but decided to leave anyway. It's obvious that he didn't care about his own Gym, so why is it that he gave Skyla a hard time? They were practically in the same boat, yet Cilan decided to display a holier-than-thou attitude.

  4. #279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    You're playing the "Cilan is a good Gym Leader because he mentions his position a lot" card. Can't say I'm surprised. Someone made the exact same argument a few months back, but it was proven to be unsound. The thing of it is Cilan left the Striaton City Gym. That Gym requires three Gym Leaders to be present, yet there were only two left. How is Cilan a good Gym Leader when he left his brothers and the Gym in disarray? How can people defend Cilan's witch hunt during the Skyla episodes when he himself didn't give a damn about his own Gym? Can anyone see the hypocrisy? Cilan left his Gym and practically said "screw the rules," but played the role of Gym regulator in Mistralton City.

    And by the way, Brock mentioned that he was a Gym Leader in the Roxanne episodes in AG. He might've mentioned it in DP as well.
    Ugh. Kira I never said anything about being a 'good' gym leader. It's obvious i'm talking about the fact Cilan still treats himself as a Gym Leader constantly, something Brock barely ever did, just like the rare occasion you noted in AG. Again, now you're making up random statements once again. Nothing ever stated 3 Gym Leaders had to be present, ever. Not once. Nope, never. Got that? There's no hypocrisy in Cilan's actions towards Skyla considering there were two Gym Leaders left at Striaton when Cilan departed. Hell, Chili even said at the time in BW006 "you just leave the Gym to us" and no, not in a sarcastic way, they meant it as if they'll take care of things while Cilan improves his Conneisuer skills.

  5. #280
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousHeartless View Post
    Also, she was doing a lot of harm. She stopped people from getting badges just because they're Pokemon had disadvantages against hers (Even if the disadvantages were crap a good bit of the time like in her Swoobat Vs. Stunfisk thing) which has been shown countless times to not actually count for much.
    They simply could've gone to another gym. End of discussion really. It clearly isn't against "the rules" if no one has stopped her from doing it. Just like there seemingly isn't a rule against handing badges away to whoever a Gym Leader wants.

    Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    The rule of the Striaton City Gym is that there must be three Gym Leaders present so that challengers can choose which elemental monkey they're going to battle against.
    Wrong.

    The rules of a gym are made by the gym leader. Because there were 3 they had to let the challenger choose which one to battle.

    But this was just "their" rule. But there's no reason why there couldn't be less gym leaders, it would simply mean less options for challengers.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  7. #282
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ship to Hoenn
    Posts
    46,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Wrong.

    The rules of a gym are made by the gym leader. Because there were 3 they had to let the challenger choose which one to battle.

    But this was just "their" rule. But there's no reason why there couldn't be less gym leaders, it would simply mean less options for challengers.
    If that's the case, then it only reinforces my point. If Gym Leaders can have their own rules, why was Skyla dragged through the mud for doing things her way? The real Gym regulators never stepped in to do anything about it, so clearly Skyla wasn't at fault. So again, why was Skyla treated so harshly when according to you and others, every Gym has its own set of rules?

  8. #283
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    If that's the case, then it only reinforces my point. If Gym Leaders can have their own rules, why was Skyla dragged through the mud for doing things her way? The real Gym regulators never stepped in to do anything about it, so clearly Skyla wasn't at fault. So again, why was Skyla treated so harshly when according to you and others, every Gym has its own set of rules?
    Because again there's a huge difference between little gym quirks/rules than flat out straight denying anyone the chance to earn a badge.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  9. #284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    If that's the case, then it only reinforces my point. If Gym Leaders can have their own rules, why was Skyla dragged through the mud for doing things her way? The real Gym regulators never stepped in to do anything about it, so clearly Skyla wasn't at fault. So again, why was Skyla treated so harshly when according to you and others, every Gym has its own set of rules?
    Purely because she flat out refused to battle. That isn't a rule, that's just not doing your job.

    Yes you could argue the PIA should have be notified, but there's a variety of reasons why they wouldn't show up, i'll list them if you really want, but i'll save my time for now unless it's really neccessery.

  10. #285
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ship to Hoenn
    Posts
    46,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Because again there's a huge difference between little gym quirks/rules than flat out straight denying anyone the chance to earn a badge.
    Again, nobody from the Pokemon Gym association or whoever is in charge of regulating Gyms in Unova told Skyla to stop doing what she was doing. It's clear that in the eyes of those in charge of monitoring Gyms, Skyla was just doing things her way and it was fine with them. And as I've said many times, Skyla's method of using logic to predict the winner of a battle was actually quite efficient. She used the exact same methods that most of us use when playing the games. I don't know why people are making a federal case out of this. Many of us have given the facts, yet some people are still willing to beat a dead horse (at this point, all that's left of the horse are a few bones).

  11. #286
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK/Yorkshire/Leeds
    Posts
    1,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    Again, nobody from the Pokemon Gym association or whoever is in charge of regulating Gyms in Unova told Skyla to stop doing what she was doing. It's clear that in the eyes of those in charge of monitoring Gyms, Skyla was just doing things her way and it was fine with them. And as I've said many times, Skyla's method of using logic to predict the winner of a battle was actually quite efficient. She used the exact same methods that most of us use when playing the games. I don't know why people are making a federal case out of this. Many of us have given the facts, yet some people are still willing to beat a dead horse (at this point, all that's left of the horse are a few bones).
    If im honest Kira all you seem to be doing is spamming the same argument you say we are beating a dead horse well I say your dog wont hunt!

    1) You complain that nobody mentions Volkner.... several people have! (I think you should actually read threads instead of just searching for names as I actually spelt it wrong at first which is why it didnt show up)

    On the subject of Volkner which was WAAAAAY back in DP... Ash actually complained more than he did with Skyla not to mention Flint from the Elite 4 and Paul.....

    Volkner might have just been giving Badges away without battling but at least it wasn't for SELFISH reasons! He admited that he grew tired of battling and always winning so he put all his efforts into making Sunnyshore quite an advanced City..... Volkner built that City!!!!

    What has Skyla done other than fly her plane for hours on end?

    2) You play the sexism card A LOT!!

    You complain people are bashing Skyla for being in your words a strong female character...

    People are just as overly critical of male characters just look back at DP which you love bringing up when people complained about Pauls extreme catch and release program and the intense battle training he did

    Its nothing to do with Skyla's Gender its to do with the fact she isnt doing the job she was assigned to do.... even her Grandfather the former Mistralton Gym Leader even said she was wrong!

    I wonder if you would be so forgiving and on the defensive it was Cynthia the Champion of Sinnoh who was Air Battling..... even she who you claim to be holier than thou and stuck up gives younger weaker trainers a chance to prove themselves even Alder who I hate give younger weaker trainers the chance to battle him!

    3) Skyla isnt using game logic (or any logic for that matter) shes just guessing...

    By game logic Ash/Cylan should have been awarded a Badge without a battle! Skyla picks a type and if its weak to her says it looses even if its dual type is super effective against hers....

    If Skyla is using game logic she has a problem iDENTifying dual types

    In an Air Battle Cylan had a Grass, Bug/Rock and Electric/Ground.... Skyla saw Grass, Bug, Ground I saw Grass, Rock and Electric what did you see?
    In an Air Battle Ash has Ground/Dark, Flying/Normal, Electric... Skyla saw Ground, Flying, Electric , I saw Dark, Flying and Electric what did you see?

    She even contridicted herself by claiming Pikachu couldnt win because her Swanna a dual Water/Flying which is extremely weak to Electric knew a move to counter Electric attacks

    who is to say her challengers Pokemon couldnt do the same?

    Pokemon can learn moves from MANY MANY MANY varied types which could easily take down a Pokemon they were weak to! and the Anime itself has proven type matchups mean nothing!

    but still she denys them the chance to prove themselves...

    Take my Pokemon White Team in my Sig

    If I used my Stunfisk, Heatmor and Emboar she would say I would loose...

    My Stunfisk knows Toxic, Scald, Discharge and Earth Power
    My Heatmore knows Hone Claws, Fire Blast, Focus Blast and Sucker Punch
    My Emboar know Flame Charge, Flare Blitz, Wild Charge and Superpower

    She wouldnt know they knew these moves which actually give me a pretty good fighting chance with most of the other moves being neutral against her
    Last edited by gpt11; 2nd July 2012 at 12:57 AM.

  12. #287
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,407

    Default

    There was a flaw in her actions.

    In one she said that Zebstrika could beat Swanna easily, but then in the next episode, she knew "from the beginning" that Swanna could beat electric types.

    Random : PokéRadar


  13. #288
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    I love Skyla's voice! Ah!!!
    Alpha Sapphire

    Badges: 7

  14. #289
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,901

    Default

    I enjoyed the dub version. I didn't like Skyla's dub voice though, which was the same case for her Japanese voice. Unfezant's voice wasn't really that appealing to me either. Miles' dub voice sounded familiar to me, I was fine with his voice overall.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

  15. #290
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    The episode was good and it was nice to see that Crustle is still beating the crap out of the other pokemon like a boss. ^^

  16. #291
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwest England
    Posts
    4,100

    Default

    I really don't understand the sexist comments from earlier in the thread. Skyla's gender wasn't brought up at all during the episode and we've had characters of both genders similar to this in the past. The episode wasn't against women, it was just against Skyla. I am genuinely surprised no-one commented on her outfit, but I guess we've just gotten over it. If there's anything to complain about it's how they made Skyla out to be an absolute douche of a character. She doesn't give her challengers a chance to battle and makes assumptions based on type advantage alone on how the battle will turn out which time and time again in this series' long history is known to be a bad move.
    This series has also shown that Skyla doesn't have much of an excuse compared to others. Back in DP, Volkner managed to design the Sunyshore tower which supported the infrastructure of the entire city. Other gym leaders who aren't there usually have some justification too, like Clay taking carer of his mining business. By comparison, Skyla was messing about in her plane doing barrel rolls. It really doesn't look good for her especially with her attitude towards the whole deal. The line 'It's just a badge' said during the battle sums it up quite nicely.

    Of course she was doing what she loved out there, but if she preferred flying to being a gym leader, she could simply step down. Again, in the series' past we've seen this happen. Of course, she doesn't have siblings to take over the gym for her, but she must have someone who can take care of gym, maybe even her grandfather. Or she could just close down the gym altogether.

    This episode feels as if it was intentionally written for Skyla to look bad. It seems the writers outright want us to antagonize her without making her do something actually evil, especially given all the ways they could written her character so her decisions would look more justified. Skyla's just not appealing, period. This sets up the following gym battle quite nicely so she can finally get her comeuppance in the next episode.

    To conclude: After the end of the episode, if you felt Skyla was being a bit of a ***** throughout, then as far as I'm concerned you were supposed to feel that way.

    As my actual opinion on the battle, Pansage went down too fast: at least get in an attack before going down to Gust of all moves. Crustle needs a friggin' loss already. That and ShellSmash+X-scissor is getting a bit old. Stunfisk certainly feels like a more versatile battler and really deserves a win. Thundershock barely working on Swanna felt a bit forced and just made me hate Skyla more. Also, iirc, can't Stunfisk fly? I'm disappointed that wasn't touched upon but they were running out of time by this point.
    I'm sad that Cilan lost, but that should make Ash's eventual victory that much sweeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

  17. #292
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    I really don't understand the sexist comments from earlier in the thread.

    <snip>

    This episode feels as if it was intentionally written for Skyla to look bad. It seems the writers outright want us to antagonize her without making her do something actually evil, especially given all the ways they could written her character so her decisions would look more justified. Skyla's just not appealing, period. This sets up the following gym battle quite nicely so she can finally get her comeuppance in the next episode.
    Then you just answered your own question. The obsessiveness the writers showed toward making her look bad nearly reached fetish levels.

    As for the complaints of sexism, all you have to do is realize that every person shown condemning Skyla (and thus delivering the aforementioned fetishised view of her the writers created) was male.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  18. #293
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Then you just answered your own question. The obsessiveness the writers showed toward making her look bad nearly reached fetish levels.

    As for the complaints of sexism, all you have to do is realize that every person shown condemning Skyla (and thus delivering the aforementioned fetishised view of her the writers created) was male.
    *clears throat*


    That isn't sexist. Okay, I think I made my point.

  19. #294
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Google Maps
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    I'm literally this close to dropping the BW anime if they keep pulling bull like this. There's a difference between creating a dislikable character and creating an absolutely detestable jerk who's so absolutely obnoxious you can't even enjoy the episode. Skyla was the latter. What makes it worse is that she was a perfectly friendly, established character that the writers butchered into something that should've just stayed in the CotD spot it probably came from. I was a Skyla fan before this episode, and I still am, but now there's a bitter taste in my mouth because of this episode.

    Step it up writers, stop ruining the characters that you're given to work with. It's getting old.

  20. #295
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Blue Lantern Corps
    Posts
    1,464

    Default

    I've just watched this episode and i was not impressed.

    Skyla was a joke, why would they create a gym leader that obnoxious?

    Where are the Nurse Joy gym inspectors when you want one?




    Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

    If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

  21. #296
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    252

    Default

    I really enjoyed seeing a Cilan battle again. Crustle ACTUALLY shows off. But...It seemed too rushed in at the end. Like, 2 or 3 attacks and then a pokemon would go down.. I know it wasnt the main point but, some more girth to Cilan/Skyla's pokemon would be nice, and I'm sure I'll see it this week against Ash (Woo Canada!)...Qwaa

  22. #297
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Ugh, I hated Skyla. Hate her, hate her, hate her. I think she ranks right down there with Bugsy and Volkner as the gym leaders I've hated the most. It's not so much the fact that she has her own method of awarding badges, that's understandable given how busy she seems to be. It's her attitude toward the whole thing, the arrogance, that I couldn't stand. I'm glad Cilan (tried to) give her a buttwhupping. This was definitely one of Cilan's better episodes, and it's nice to see someone besides Ash, who's yelled at gym leaders before (like Brawly), argue with a gym leader.

    3/10
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

  23. #298
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Snover View Post
    I've just watched this episode and i was not impressed.

    Skyla was a joke, why would they create a gym leader that obnoxious?

    Where are the Nurse Joy gym inspectors when you want one?
    Agreed, they could have used one of those gym inspectors.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

  24. #299
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut View Post
    Ugh, I hated Skyla. Hate her, hate her, hate her. I think she ranks right down there with Bugsy and Volkner as the gym leaders I've hated the most. It's not so much the fact that she has her own method of awarding badges, that's understandable given how busy she seems to be. It's her attitude toward the whole thing, the arrogance, that I couldn't stand. I'm glad Cilan (tried to) give her a buttwhupping. This was definitely one of Cilan's better episodes, and it's nice to see someone besides Ash, who's yelled at gym leaders before (like Brawly), argue with a gym leader.

    3/10
    Well I'm glad you think that Volkner is atleast not one of your worse gymleaders anymore because he was my favorite. Overall Best Wishes was bad from the start. Just because someone has an awesome design people will think they will have a good personality? Oh please!

    My ideal battle ever!

  25. #300
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    hexagon
    Posts
    540

    Default

    same old "omg this person is mean id better beat them in a battel!!!11!" crap. Also Skyla isn't supposed to be an obnoxious character, the writers had no reason to make her so unlikable and irritating.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •