Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Cilan Takes Flight (728)

Fine episode. I didn't like the way Skyla is handling her battles by imagination. It's not how you get strong that way. Sad that Cilan lost, but that's okay, as next week will be different!

Commenting as I watch:

- Have I mentioned my undying love for Ash in awhile?? Loved him getting fired up as Skyla introduces her pkmn.

- Have I mentioned my undying love for Cilan yet this week?? OF ALL THE RIDICULOUS.... Cilan rage... ~~swoon~~

- How do the gym leaders not know who each other are, or anything about their battling styles at all? I'm not the only one who consistently finds this odd, right?

- SKYLA, PLEASE. I love when Cilan gets *****y. If this were written for an older audience he would be the best passive-aggressive condescending character.

- I like Rock Wrecker. Not the animation or anything, but saying it is awesome. ROCK WRECK THIS BITTTTCCHHHH!! If pkmn were real I'd definitely need to have one that knew it.

- Unfezant is straight retarded looking.

- Skyla's win is literally the biggest bs I have ever seen.

Well, I hope Ash thoroughly trashes her next week.

This episode was awesome!!!! As said by someone else, Skyla is a very unlikeable character at the moment because she has gym battles which she imagines in her head without the actual battle taking place. When she imagines that she is the victor there is a great arrogance which surrounds her.

This enrages Cilan and to prove Skyla wrong they have a gym leader battle which involved a lot of action and I honestly thought that Cilan was going to Win but alas, that was not the case as Swanna managed to use aqua ring too heal itself.

In my opinion, I think Cilan's downfall was his own arrogance in his evaluation but also he allowed his mind to be clouded when he was fully focused on winning to prove Skyla wrong. I think this is what resulted in Cilan's reaction at the end of the battle (pure disbelief).

Finally, Ash is going to try and succeed where Cilan failed. This will be a very interesting gym battle come next week . Bring it on!
    Loves every part of pokemon, loves the movies, the anime and every game, so you could call me fan lol.

Apparently i'm a...

Favourite Pokemon: but i like them all

The dub did an incredible job at this episode.

It was already on my favourites of BW list, but the dubbing has definetly confirmed it.

10/10.

good episode , hate skylas cockiness , cilan would have easily defeated her , if it wasnt for her bullsh*t aqua ring.... cant wait for te next episode were ash throws down with her !

Another badly written episode just to show off Cilan's arrogant & preachy and how Ash is always right and everyone else is wrong. Though I suppose that's exactly what the writer was going for when they purposely made Skyla look bad by having the battles inside her head and making it look like she's just plain lazy for not wanting to battle. Also it's not going help when Ash show's her how wrong she was next episode. Unfortunately Sarah Natochenny voice for Skyla makes her sound like a valley girl & the Japanese voice is exactly the same which is probably what they were going for in making Skyla look wrong in the way she battles.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

Skyla's dub voice was the most annoying voice I have ever heard.
    It reminds me of Misty's sisters.
    Last edited by 32er; 26th June 2012 at 5:05 PM.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

I dont get why they just didnt report Skyla to the Pokemon Inspection Agency... they would have turned up declared Skyla an unfit Gym Leader and just closed the Gym until she either improved and started to battle again or found a new Gym Leader.

Problem solved and that would have probally made a way better episode

Quote Originally Posted by gpt11 View Post
    I dont get why they just didnt report Skyla to the Pokemon Inspection Agency... they would have turned up declared Skyla an unfit Gym Leader and just closed the Gym until she either improved and started to battle again or found a new Gym Leader.

You have just solved everything.

Jesus.

The only thing I could argue against that with is that it's possible the PIA only check to see if a Gym Leader is strong enough, which Skyla clearly is.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    You have just solved everything.

Jesus.

The only thing I could argue against that with is that it's possible the PIA only check to see if a Gym Leader is strong enough, which Skyla clearly is.
    From what we have seen from the Anime and Specials they check everything its also been mentioned that they have closed gyms

also if Skyla is refusing to battle thats a valid reason to close the Gym as she is there to test/teach the trainers with a real head to head battle not some made up mind game!

like Cilan said a Gym Badge should be a symbol of high honour for Trainer and their Pokemon as its something they earn as a team!
    Last edited by gpt11; 26th June 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Because maybe what she was doing didn't break any rules.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Im pretty sure what Skyla was doing was breaking the rules just giving her badges away without a battle she might aswel have done a Vaulkner and and just left them in a box outside!

A Gym Leader is ment to battle!!!! not "air battle"

It's also possible they don't have PIA in Unova.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

I... never understood this point of view, tbh. How could her guessing the outcome not be breaking the rules? The whole point of Gyms is for trainers to challenge them with their Pokemon and earn a badge. A Gym leader clearly neglecting her duties to go off gallivanting in her aeroplane is breaking the rules. A Gym leader guessing the outcome of matches is clearly breaking the rules. How is it fair to the trainers if they don't get a chance to prove their worth and have to hope that Skyla simply thinks that they're going to win?

Ash proved that Skyla's 'air battles' can be wrong. It's wrong of Skyla to use fallible techniques to judge whether or not to give a trainer their badge. I honestly don't see how you can justify her ignorance towards proper Gym battles :/

I really loved this episode. The only thing is, I loved Skyla from the games. She was my second favorite gym leader! I hate seeing her portrayed like this so I was hoping Cilan would kick her *ss.
    I'll put something here...eventually

Oh gosh. I actually decided to watch the dub for this one. XDDD It's bad I burst out laughing at some parts

The first part was the....well growling/grunting when Cilan was annoyed. It made me laugh. xD Like WHAT WAS THAT? I remember Dento doing more of an annoyed "keh"...J. Griff. did a pretty good job angry, but it didn't hold a candle stick to MamoMiya's "I can't accept this." Cilan sounded mad. Dento sounded like he was going to go out and murder someone.

The second part was:

Pansage: Pansage!
    Stunfisk: Stunfisk!
    Crustle: HJHsfjdeharwuhghegheg

I cracked up....so hard. XDDD Like WHAT WAS THAT now?

For something I liked more I actually liked Skyla's voice a bit more. It was kind of valley girl, but I'm fine with valley girl. The pitchiness was terrible in Japanese (for me) to where it hurt my ears. Dx So it was an ok dub...but still I'm not used to this (and I forgot people did that weird growl thing to show they are annoyed. xD)
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Im pretty sure what Skyla was doing was breaking the rules just giving her badges away without a battle she might aswel have done a Vaulkner and and just left them in a box outside!

A Gym Leader is ment to battle!!!! not "air battle"
    And Clay forcing challengers to do his chores until he feels like fighting them is any better?

My case just keeps getting made for me...

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

And Clay forcing challengers to do his chores until he feels like fighting them is any better?
    No, it's not, but I don't see how that is relevant. Just because Clay was breaking rules too doesn't mean that Skyla didn't.

Well you still haven't explained how exactly Skyla was right in this case, so no, your case isn't getting made for you. Just because another Gym leader also broke rules doesn't make Skyla's 'air battles' any more right. Bringing up Clay is irrelevant to this.

at least clay battled his challengers

Took me awhile to watch this episode, and wow... Skyla is clearly an arrogant "air head". So much for me expecting to see her as a sweet, charming girl. But nope, we get a lazy one. Shame though, Skyla had a lot of potential by her look; Winoa shares her spot in Gym Leader Order, along with the same type, and I enjoyed having her around more.

Cilan may have gone overboard and was just as cocky, but I couldn't blame him in the moment. He of course opposed of Skyla's "air battles" and wanted to challenge her to a real battle. To show what battling is truly about. He almost won, but Skyla made it through like it was all about her.

So glad Ash stepped up his game and opposed her way of battling, too. Seeing him and Cilan so angry about all this was quite amusing. Never seen Ash so assertive or disapproving before, so I look forward to seeing his battle with Skyla this week.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    No, it's not, but I don't see how that is relevant. Just because Clay was breaking rules too doesn't mean that Skyla didn't.

Well you still haven't explained how exactly Skyla was right in this case, so no, your case isn't getting made for you. Just because another Gym leader also broke rules doesn't make Skyla's 'air battles' any more right. Bringing up Clay is irrelevant to this.
    Actually, you're entirely missing the point. You're even admitting that Clay was just as wrong as Skyla was, so what justifies the difference in outrage both from the characters in-universe and the people here?

That's what my case is, and every time someone turns a blind eye to Clay neglecting his Gym so he could work in his mine, yes, it is being made for me. But at least this misogynistic cluster**** of an arc is finally over after this week and we won't have to talk about it again.
    Last edited by The Great Butler; 29th June 2012 at 4:23 AM.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post
    Of course, the best part of the episode was Cilan's Pokemon introduction. I couldn't have been the only one who heard Crustle's brief seizure as the Pokemon were saying their names:

Pansage: "Pansage!"

Stunfisk: "Stunfisk!"

Crustle: "HRBRBRBRBRBRBR!"
    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    The second part was:

Pansage: Pansage!
    Stunfisk: Stunfisk!
    Crustle: HJHsfjdeharwuhghegheg

I cracked up....so hard. XDDD Like WHAT WAS THAT now?
    I know, right? Best part of the episode. Just one of the many reasons that I love the dub . . . aside from the fact that I can't speak Japanese.

I still think that BW has had the best selection for Gym Leader voices. In most other regions there were one or two who I thought had unfitting voices, but they've nailed them all in Unova, in my opinion. Clay is still my favorite. He sounds like Yosemite Sam, which is absolutely perfect to Clay's character if you ask me :P

Actually, you're entirely missing the point. You're even admitting that Clay was just as wrong as Skyla was, so what justifies the difference in outrage both from the characters in-universe and the people here?

That's what my case is, and every time someone turns a blind eye to Clay neglecting his Gym so he could work in his mine, yes, it is being made for me. But at least this misogynistic cluster**** of an arc is finally over after this week.
    Honestly, while Clay was certainly out of line as well, I find Skyla's offense to be worse. Nothing against Skyla, I still like her as a character, but at least Clay was fighting his battles and allowing challengers to prove their strength that way. Skyla's methods are highly questionable. While we know that Skyla herself wouldn't lie about it, her methods would be far too easy for someone to exploit. Take the person she was up against who had Emolga, Boldore, and Zebstrika. For all we know, Boldore might have had an entire moveset of Ground-type attacks and Emolga and Zebstrika might not have known a single Electric attack. It'd be far too easy for someone to slip by based on Skyla's assumptions. Again, nothing personal against Skyla, but her battle methods are not only highly suspect but also easily exploitable by sneaky trainers.
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 29th June 2012 at 4:28 AM.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

I thought Skyla was going to be sweet but then she turned out to be a real jerk....too bad Cilan lost to her.
    Signature edited due to exceeding the gif size limit. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

That's what my case is, and every time someone turns a blind eye to Clay neglecting his Gym so he could work in his mine, yes, it is being made for me. But at least this misogynistic cluster**** of an arc is finally over after this week and we won't have to talk about it again.
    Uh, back-pedalling? You said this:

Which shows that you think that what Skyla was doing was right. Saying that Clay was wrong too is all well and good, but it still doesn't show me why Skyla was right in what she was doing. Yes, nobody called Clay out for postponing battles, but really, that was just a reason for Ash to go to the Kami island.

Anyway, what Clay does is irrelevant because you still haven't given your reasoning for why Skyla was breaking no rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    Anyway, what Clay does is irrelevant because you still haven't given your reasoning for why Skyla was breaking no rules.
    Each Gym Leader is in charge of making their own rules for their own Gym. The Air Battles were Skyla's Gym theme, just like how the Striaton Gym's theme was selecting one of the three Leaders and Lenora's was reading the books before you could fight her. In addition, if what Skyla was doing was actually wrong, she would have been shut down or removed from the position based on what we've seen in the past.

Instead, a Gym Leader who is derelict in his own duties comes along and oversteps his bounds by enforcing his own personal rules instead of allowing the League system to enforce theirs.

tl;dr you can tell Skyla was not breaking any rules because, based on established precedent, if she was the Gym would be shut down. In addition, if she was derelict in her duties by awarding badges in a different way, what does that say about Clay, who blew off his own Gym regularly, or Cilan, who simply walked away from what was explicitly registered as a three-Leader Gym?

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast