Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cilan Takes Flight (728)

Quote Originally Posted by ben_pokemon View Post
    99 wins (+ wild Pokémon) which were in the past to show off how great of a team Iris and Drilbur were, PLUS, it was in the past.

Only win Iris' Excadrill had so far was against Ash's Pikachu whereas Cilan's Crustle hasn't lost a single battle.
    But he's still had them. :P I don't think Dwebble went around beating up other Dwebble before his shell was stolen so that's why I don't count his past.

Yes, and Crustle lost his battle agaisnt Swanna. There'll probably be more losses in the future.

I do think Graham Aker has a point though. They both do have one powerhouse and the other Pokemon are unevolved or cannot evolve.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Decent episode. Honestly, I was expecting it to be more impressive.
    Anyway, it's nice seeing Cilan's style being showed as not being all that flawless. I'd say the character needed a break of all that "perfection". Also, I like how the writers tried to make a mystery on Ash's team even though summaries and the preview spoiled it hehe

My only real issue is Skyla. I didn't like her personality in the anime. She seemed a bit... shallow IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by ben_pokemon View Post
    99 wins (+ wild Pokémon) which were in the past to show off how great of a team Iris and Drilbur were, PLUS, it was in the past.

Only win Iris' Excadrill had so far was against Ash's Pikachu whereas Cilan's Crustle hasn't lost a single battle.
    So? It doesn't change the fact Excadrill still rarely lost. It has the same "super-powered" vibe Crustle has.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    So? It doesn't change the fact Excadrill still rarely lost. It has the same "super-powered" vibe Crustle has.
    I don't really feel it, though.

Oh my gosh, the Cilan fans are comparing his Crustle to Iris's Excadrill? Typical. They get so bothered when we discuss Cilan's flaws that they have to bring up Iris just to protect their favorite. But just to reiterate: Iris's Excadrill hasn't battled on-screen that often, so it's not fair to pretend that he uses Crustle-level hax.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Oh my gosh, the Cilan fans are comparing his Crustle to Iris's Excadrill? Typical. They get so bothered when we discuss Cilan's flaws that they have to bring up Iris just to protect their favorite. But just to reiterate: Iris's Excadrill hasn't battled on-screen that often, so it's not fair to pretend that he uses Crustle-level hax.
    I'm not the biggest Cilan fan, so don't group me with them. I was just stating that both Iris' and Cilan's teams seem lopsided given that they have these hyped up Pokemon, then have Pokemon that are shown kinda weak to average overall. I want to see them capture more to balance their teams out.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac
    I think Crustle is [a Stu] but I don't really give a care whether a Pokemon is or not.
    So yeah. There, I don't bash Iris to make Dento look good. I like both Excadrill and Crustle, and I'd like to see them battle someday. Any other confessions you want? :P
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

The 4th KIRA, I'm curious to read what you have to say about my answer to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Yeah, if Iris had been as angered about what Skyla was doing as Ash and Cilan, and Miles had just stayed out of things entirely, the episode would have been much less sexist-seeming. But no, she doesn't seem to feel a thing about it, indicating that it's just guys who find it so reprehensible....and their side is supposed to be the right one.

Though, I still don't care for Cilan being so angry about it at all, even if he ended up losing and broken in the end. Cilan is abdicating his gym entirely to pursue all sorts of his connossieur hobbies. How is that better than what Skyla's doing....battling or not, at least Skyla sticks around her gym even while pursuing her hobby.
    Now that I'm caught up on this sexism/Cilan debate, this is exactly what I have to say about it.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

I'm a Cilan fan too but I agree, Crustle needs a little break. Stunfisk needs its wins.

Good going Cilan, get your grass monkey to jump up in the air to attack, leaving itself wide open instead of hanging back and using Rock Tomb.. and then you get Crustle, the Pokemon with a great typing advantage against Swoobat, to hang back and use Rock Wrecker straight after? Omg where was your brain when Pansage was out?

Then to top it off, you get your Stunfisk to use Mud Bomb on a flying type! Oh my god, you not only fail at battling with any Pokemon other than Crustle, you fail at life.. and you call yourself a gym leader!

Sigh.. and I thought I'd enjoy this episode, but it just wasn't meant to be..
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Qeca View Post
    Hi.

Seriously, how can it be weird? We aren't even half way with this saga and that's not that odd to not happen (I'm not predicting something like J returning or a Digimon being captured). I just believe all this must have a meaning somewhere in the future.

We are seeing Crustle being like a real powerhouse (great moveset and combos, impressive strength, all mighty and badass) for some reason - who knows, maybe something like a climatic battle versus Ash or even being a way to develop Cilan as a character more dimensional (losing his "hi i'm fabulous" thing). One thing i'm sure: It's wrong to point out this is just bad writing. And yap, I'm still believing that this will lead to something bigger.

Edit: I'm not a Cilan fanboy btw.
    I fail to understand how Crustle's haxness could be used to develop Cilan as a character. Crustle just needs to stay inside his Poke Ball for at least 20 episodes so that Stunfisk can get a couple of victories. It makes me sad when some of Ash's Pokemon are ignored, but it's even worse when Cilan's Pokemon have to suffer the same fate; at least Ash has the excuse of having a large team - Cilan has no such excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I agree fully. I'm sick of people tossing around "sexist" as if every case can be applied to every single woman.

Did Cilan have a problem with Lenora, or even Elesa? No, it was specifically Skyla who he had a problem with. And just Skyla. Plus this isn't a female thing anyway, this problem Cilan had with Skyla could be applied to any gym leader, male or female. Another reason why it can't be sexist.
    Did you even watch the Lenora and Elesa episodes? Neither of them had anything for him to engineer into a scene. Elesa was kind of bland, but Lenora was actually portrayed quite positively. Neither of them had the overwhelming hate piled on them that the writers directed at Skyla.

There was no comment implying "Just like a woman to go off doing whatever you want rather than what you should do." NOW that would've been sexist, but that wasn't the point nor had that implication at all.
    So it needs to be explicitly said. Okay.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

It was an entertaining episode. I wouldn't consider Skyla's personality as a standout but she didn't annoy me as much as she annoyed other people.

What truly annoyed me is how weak Stunfisk is always presented. I'm sure they could have given the poor thing at least a win. It's almost like he's the complete opposite of Crustle. Crustle's established as a BIG powerhouse, a loss wouldn't affect his status as Cilan's strongest pokemon.

Overall, it was good, I just hate how Iris keeps fading into the background. I wish she had more lines or something. I enjoy her reactions when Cilan starts being flashy but I want her to do...more.

Iris is the Brock with no mouth because there is no need for her to yap every ounce of info to everybody.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Good going Cilan, get your grass monkey to jump up in the air to attack, leaving itself wide open instead of hanging back and using Rock Tomb.. and then you get Crustle, the Pokemon with a great typing advantage against Swoobat, to hang back and use Rock Wrecker straight after? Omg where was your brain when Pansage was out?

Then to top it off, you get your Stunfisk to use Mud Bomb on a flying type! Oh my god, you not only fail at battling with any Pokemon other than Crustle, you fail at life.. and you call yourself a gym leader!
    Cilan was suffering from a case of overconfidence and cockiness as there was not one point at all were he doubted he would win. Cilan thought he would succeed at having Skyla change her overall views and methods of handling Gym battles. I felt really bad for the poor guy, Cilan is way too passionate over the things he loves which could lead to problems for him. What if Cilan's overconfidence causes him to start failing at everything he is talented and passionate about (better yet it being like a build up with several episodes)? I bet he would go on full-on depression mode which lasts a while until something gets Cilan's confidence back, but with a re-think of his overconfidence that stems from his love of all of his talents.

The battle should be the same as when he battled the flying gym in Hoenn (I think!) . He was on a pole opposite the gym leader, it was misty (weather, not the person opposite) so they had to call the attack and prey it hit
    ~ My 3DS Friend Code is 3523 - 2969 - 5609 ~
    ~ PM me if you wanna add me ~

~ PLAYING PLATINUM AGAIN LIKE A BOSS!!! ~

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Did you even watch the Lenora and Elesa episodes? Neither of them had anything for him to engineer into a scene. Elesa was kind of bland, but Lenora was actually portrayed quite positively. Neither of them had the overwhelming hate piled on them that the writers directed at Skyla.
    Oh so I'm right, this is just about hating on Skyla herself, and not the female gender. Glad to know.

So it needs to be explicitly said. Okay.
    You know I'm getting sick of crap like this. This is why people use the "race" card all the time. Because someone is "punishing" someone and because of attitude's like yours, it's because the person is a certain race.

No offense meant but it's like a white cop seeing a black man beating up a woman, and getting physical with the black man, and then have other people say that it was racially motivated. No, it was because he was kicking the crap out of a woman not because he was black.

And to apply it to this case, Skyla does something and a whole bunch of people disagree, specifically males, and somehow it just isn't because of Skyla specifically but somehow it's sexist and generalizes all women.

Even this whole disagreement had nothing to do with Skyla's gender but her methods and actions, or in this case glorified inactions. So yes, it has to be explicitly said to have sexist overtones because this COULD'VE been easily applied to a male gym leader.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Wait, are we seriously having a discussion about how "two people (who happen to be dudes) see someone (who happens to be a chick) slacking off on gym leader duty and try to make her do things the right way" is sexist? In a series that's always tried to have a fairly equal balance of men and women in the higher ranks of trainerdom? And that's had its fair share of dopey/lazy/whatever guys AND girls?

Give it a rest, people.

(and yet none of you are complaining about her skimpy outfit...hmmmm. )

Anyway, I haven't been able to watch the episodes for the past few weeks, but I made sure to catch this one!

-Ash has a QR code on his Pokedex? Seeing the real world creep into Pokemon like that is...kind of creepy.
    -Oh dear god, Skyla has that annoying high-pitched peppy voice style I hate.
    -Dento's angry. It's never good when he's angry. (Ash is angry too, but that mostly just makes it funnier when both of them storm up to skyla). But Skyla flies off, so now Dento is volcanically angry. And he's still shaking with rage when some old guy explains why Skyla stopped doing real battles. I'm so glad I caught up to the episodes now.
    -And Dento still manages to put on a calm face when he goes to challenge Skyla. Impressive.
    -Of course we get a tasting time, but Dento uses it as a soapbox to point out that Skyla should give challengers a chance in an actua lbattle.
    -Aw, poor Crustle looked so sad when it crawled back in its rock after it lost. And...Dento sounds(and looks!) like he's about to kill someone.
    -And now it's Dento's turn to be super-depressed. ...though now I'm looking forward to how he acts in the next episode.
    -Hahaha, they specifically avoided letting us see what Pokemon Ash sent out(although we've all figured them out from other places anyway...).

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce
    Cilan is abdicating his gym entirely to pursue all sorts of his connossieur hobbies. How is that better than what Skyla's doing....battling or not, at least Skyla sticks around her gym even while pursuing her hobby.
    Cilan has two brothers to look after the gym in his stead. Skyla doesn't. And to be realistic, if a gym leader cares so much about their hobby that they don't want to have proper battles anymore, they really should step down instead of sticking around their gym and having fake entirely-in-their-minds battles. Not that this would happen in the anime since Ash has to battle the 8 gym leaders we see in the games, but still.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-san View Post
    Seriously, what is up with Ash using his Pokedex on Pokemon he's seen before? That happened so many times already this season.
    I found it annoying as well. But since it's happening so often, I decided to just ignore it and not bother with it.

OMFG SKYLA'S VOICE WAS SO ANNOYING!!!!! *ears bleed*

Uggh seriously it's like the writers totally forget about attacks. Passage has Rock Tomb, Dig, and Bite which would of all been pretty useful here. Crustle has Rock Slide. Trollish was the only one who used his attacks lol.

Anyway, Dento should of won for the simple fact that two of her pokemon pretty much got OHKO'd lol.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Were they showing Aqua Ring's use the right way? It looked as if it recovered Swanna's strength and cured what looked like a burn it had aquired.

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    Were they showing Aqua Ring's use the right way? It looked as if it recovered Swanna's strength and cured what looked like a burn it had aquired.
    Nope. Aqua Ring doesn't heal burn status. Although the anime is right, it should.

Ok so I finally saw the episode and i must say the people defending Skyla are out of their mind. Seriously i don't care what type of advantage/disadvantage the challenger has Skyla as a gym leader has a duty to see the battle through. I was zoo mad throughout the entire episode.

*Starts watching episode*

*Is a little bored and doesn't really feel in the mood to watch it...*

*Gets a little more into watching it*

*Sees Skyla coming out of her plane and hear her spe-!!! WHAT A HORRIBLE VOICE MY POOR EARS!!!*

...Yah so I really don't like her voice, way to high pitch for my ears. Voices don't usually bother me but...her voice it's...just so high...

I don't like that they call out three Pokemon right at the start...looks like it would be a Triple or Rotation Battle but nope...just Skyla trolling with her high voice D:

Good thing I love Cilan's voice, makes up for Skyla's.

So the reason she does the battles the way she does is because she wants to fly her planes, figured as much. I'd have to side with Ash, Cilan, and Mile on this one, just isn't how gym battles are suppose to be, they are suppose to measure a trainer's skill and see where they can improve to be stronger and all that, predicting battles based on type alone isn't going to very reliable, plus it just makes the gym rather pointless, you'd think the gym association would shut it down or something(...Assuming there is one of those, I assume there is, but obviously for plot reasons Ash needs to set things straight, but still...).

Oh here comes Skyla again...and her voice still makes my ears cry, well those few minutes without her voice were nice...

Even when Cilan is mad he's a gentleman, apologizing for his behavior and whatnot.

I don't really understand these "Who's that Pokemon", they sometimes seem random, I mean why Stunfisk? Why not Swanna. I suppose it's better then last episode being Emolga...

I love how Pansage and Stunfisk are getting all warmed up before the battle. Poor Crustle...too big and bulky to move around.

I don't really like how the writers dealt with Skyla's prediction, they don't match up to the actual battle for the most part.

Pansage loses quick, then Swoobat loses quick.

It's tasting time. Haha Iris...you're doing it wrong you are suppose to say "It's Pain Time" in English.

Cilan talks a lot...and I love every word.

Crustle lost...the world is going to blow up now :O

...Butt shot...can only imagine what goes through the heads of the animators when drawing it :P.

Swanna kind of sounds annoying too...

Stunfisk is doing pretty good it might win this, Skyla and Swanna look worried-oh wait they were just trolling...

Mud Bomb on a Flying type...it shouldn't work and it didn't but it seems like it could work so long as Swanna would stop dodging it.

And Stunfisk loses.

Cilan looks kind of upset...or a lot upset.

Ash is in his mood, looks like he's going to have to fix this...obviously.

He sends out his Pokemon and they aren't shown. If it wasn't for the preview(And knowledge of the next episode prior to it airing) it would be pretty suspenseful, but that's not the case, still I like it, it's different.

Overall, aside from Skyla's and Swanna's voice...I liked the episode.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast