Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 301

Thread: Cilan Takes Flight (728)

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    *Sees Skyla coming out of her plane and hear her spe-!!! WHAT A HORRIBLE VOICE MY POOR EARS!!!*
    Agreed. XDDD I got used to it, but man oh man is it SqUeAkY especially compared to Dento's melodious voice.

    Good thing I love Cilan's voice, makes up for Skyla's.
    Agreed again. :3

    It's tasting time. Haha Iris...you're doing it wrong you are suppose to say "It's Pain Time" in English.
    I hope one day she does that. XDD

    Cilan talks a lot...and I love every word.
    I love how he speaks in a metaphorical sense "Those badges will cry"

    ...Butt shot...can only imagine what goes through the heads of the animators when drawing it :P.
    Fanservice? :P

    Cilan looks kind of upset...or a lot upset.
    Iris: Dento what are you doing?!

    No, not Dento "What were you doing?!"

    It's "Dento what are you doing?"

    What is Dento doing? I think he's growing mushrooms in a sad little corner somewhere

    ...Anyone notice how Dento quickly looked down upon Skyla? Do you think..he might...think of himself as a beautiful gift from God? 8D
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  2. #152

    Default

    This episode taught me something new.

    That new thing being the reason Dento's Iwapalace lost Protect.

    Now his shell is large and strong enough to act as protection against most types of attacks, by withdrawing inside it.

    This is good because it free'd up an extra move space.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elekible-Kid View Post
    This episode taught me something new.
    See guys? This episode CAN be educational after all!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elekible-Kid View Post
    That new thing being the reason Dento's Iwapalace lost Protect.

    Now his shell is large and strong enough to act as protection against most types of attacks, by withdrawing inside it.

    This is good because it free'd up an extra move space.
    Oh.

  4. #154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    See guys? This episode CAN be educational after all!

    Oh.
    When Swanna used Bubblebeam on Iwapalace, he just retreated into his shell.

    Had this been an Ishizumai still, he would used Protect.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,335

    Default

    Something that i liked was that Skyla criticized Stunfisk for not knowing Thunderbolt.

    Cilan really needs to train Stunfisk more.

    Random : PokéRadar


  6. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tails_Sliat View Post
    Something that i liked was that Skyla criticized Stunfisk for not knowing Thunderbolt.

    Cilan really needs to train Stunfisk more.
    That was a hilarious moment.

    Fuuro was all like "the nerve of you to hit me with anything weaker than Thunderbolt".

    She did think too highly of herself though.

    Swanna was excellent, but Kokoromori and Kenhourou were nothing to write home about//

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elekible-Kid View Post
    Kokoromori and Kenhourou were nothing to write home about//
    Unfezant I'll agree to, but Swoobat. Aside from Swanna it's the only Pokemon of Skyla's to get a win (and two of them, one from Cilan and one from Ash), Swoobat may not be as strong as Swanna, but it clearly is her 2nd strongest.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ba Sing Se
    Posts
    42,376

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    ...Anyone notice how Dento quickly looked down upon Skyla? Do you think..he might...think of himself as a beautiful gift from God? 8D
    Cilan, a gift from god? I'm sorry, but this is the most pretentious thing I've ever read. You're taking Cilan's ("Dento's") character way too seriously. You need to remember that he's a fictional character, and that no matter how much you gush about the "hotness" of his voice, you'll never "have" him. But to answer your question: Cilan seems to look down upon everyone who isn't his travel companion. He was the first to bash Skyla even though she wasn't doing anything bad per se; she was simply following what her heart told her, and Ash got to challenge her in the end anyways, so there was no harm done.

  9. #159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Unfezant I'll agree to, but Swoobat. Aside from Swanna it's the only Pokemon of Skyla's to get a win (and two of them, one from Cilan and one from Ash), Swoobat may not be as strong as Swanna, but it clearly is her 2nd strongest.
    Kokoromori as a species is a favorite of mine. That said, beating Yanappu, is nothing special.

    She had the Type-advantage, and Yanappu isn't exactly know for his strength.


    Plus, for whatever plot convenient reason, Dento didn't even call upon Yanappu's Rock Tomb? Why, oh why?

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,092

    Default

    I decided to finally watch this episode because Skyla was in it. Ah Skyla, she makes going to Mistralton worth it. Anyway Been awhile since I reviewed a episode from the Pokemon anime the episode itself...meh it was okay. Cilan taking on Skyla was pretty neat. I did enjoy the battle and Skyla. The ending was predictable and sets up for another generic Gym Battle. I'll go review that one as well...because Skyla's in it as well. Skyla's something special to make me watch BW.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Why couldn't Mile, you know, the guy who is the earlier gym leader just take back his spot and allow his successor to do what she wanted?

    Nope, she has to follow his commands and put more effort into being a gym leader. Because we all know you can't disobey the family patriarch.


    While I don't think the episode was that bad, it certainly had some sexist subtext, be it accidental or not.
    Help spread the Dragonbuster Love!
    Hail to Saint Georgia!


  12. #162
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Why couldn't Mile, you know, the guy who is the earlier gym leader just take back his spot and allow his successor to do what she wanted?

    Nope, she has to follow his commands and put more effort into being a gym leader. Because we all know you can't disobey the family patriarch.


    While I don't think the episode was that bad, it certainly had some sexist subtext, be it accidental or not.
    Exactly my thought on the matter. I guess great minds think alike, eh?

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Why couldn't Mile, you know, the guy who is the earlier gym leader just take back his spot and allow his successor to do what she wanted?

    Nope, she has to follow his commands and put more effort into being a gym leader. Because we all know you can't disobey the family patriarch.


    While I don't think the episode was that bad, it certainly had some sexist subtext, be it accidental or not.
    Um you do realize how flawed this logic is, right?

    Where are Skyla's parents in all this? Unless they are dead, there's no reason why Skyla was forced to become a gym leader in the first place.

    Mile didn't indicate one bit, that he was forcing Skyla to do anything that she didn't want to do, and AS Brock's family drama proved, Skyla doesn't have to be a gym leader. No one is forcing her to be one.

    What happened was, Skyla most likely wanted to be a gym leader, but she got bored of boring battles, because she likely won all the time.

    I have to say if a majority of people, including another gym leader says that "air battles" are inappropriate, then yes, it's inappropriate.

    Gym Battles, are people battling each other for a badge, honestly why can no one see this. It doesn't do any good, to just be biased, and imagine who wins or who loses and give or don't give badges.

    First off Skyla is the gym leader, she has no right to say who wins and who loses, that honor belongs to the referee.

    Now onto her hobby, yes she wanted to make time for flying, okay that's understandable, HOWEVER again no one is forcing her to be a gym leader.

    Her continuing nature of being a gym leader, proves that she wants to be a gym leader, she just wants to be lazy. However I'm sure there are millions of real life examples of many different people, who hate their job, but still do their job right because they make money from it. Sure it could be jobs people hate, or find boring, but for a large portion, the money earned helps support families.

    Sorry I don't think the message of laziness is okay as long as you get do what you want, is the message they wanted to send to people.

    No sexism at all, this just about laziness, pure and simple. I really hope they do the same with Brycen but have it be "Movie Battles" and have Cilan have a cow with him too, just so this "sexism" B.S. can stop.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Um you do realize how flawed this logic is, right?

    Where are Skyla's parents in all this? Unless they are dead, there's no reason why Skyla was forced to become a gym leader in the first place.

    Assumption. Not to mention how your argument is just as flawed, so you have no leg to stand on.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Mile didn't indicate one bit, that he was forcing Skyla to do anything that she didn't want to do, and AS Brock's family drama proved, Skyla doesn't have to be a gym leader. No one is forcing her to be one.
    Except, you know, him spending the episode forcing her to do something? Yeah, keep shooting yourself in the foot.


    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    What happened was, Skyla most likely wanted to be a gym leader, but she got bored of boring battles, because she likely won all the time.
    Assumption, again. Even so, that does not mean she would always want to be.


    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I have to say if a majority of people, including another gym leader says that "air battles" are inappropriate, then yes, it's inappropriate.
    The Gym Leader who ditched his Gym to pursue a hobby. Yeah. There is no escaping the fact that Cilan has no argument against Skyla.

    While I certainly don't agree with her standpoint either, Cilan is just as bad, yet portrayed as in the right.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Gym Battles, are people battling each other for a badge, honestly why can no one see this. It doesn't do any good, to just be biased, and imagine who wins or who loses and give or don't give badges.
    I understand that. But that's not where the entire problem lies.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    First off Skyla is the gym leader, she has no right to say who wins and who loses, that honor belongs to the referee.
    You do realize that compared to

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Now onto her hobby, yes she wanted to make time for flying, okay that's understandable, HOWEVER again no one is forcing her to be a gym leader.
    Assumption. Her grandpa certainly tries to force her to follow his rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Her continuing nature of being a gym leader, proves that she wants to be a gym leader, she just wants to be lazy.
    Or that she has an unpleasant grandfather, which is what the episode gave us.



    The problem is that this theme of "listen to your patriarch" is common in japanese writing.


    Frankly, the episode just handled the idea wrong. Use a hypocritical male character and the male head of the family to try and "shame" the woman back into the proverbial kitchen.

    Mile didn't even try the "I can be Gym Leader again, if you are no longer interested". If she had tried to keep the spot then, despite her "Air Battles" then I would understand you making these assumptions. As it was, he tried to force her to bend to his will, instead of providing an alternative.


    The problem with this episode is that they are forcing her into doing something she doesn't seem to want. If the episode simply had a scene like that one I suggested for Mile, Skyla would genuinely be shown as at fault, but as it was, they failed at that.
    Help spread the Dragonbuster Love!
    Hail to Saint Georgia!


  15. #165
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Assumption. Not to mention how your argument is just as flawed, so you have no leg to stand on.
    What, Mile ISN'T Skyla's GRANDFATHER? Regardless you missed my point. Why is Skyla being "forced" to be the gym leader, why not Skyla's Mother, or Father, depending on which one is Mile's biological child?


    Except, you know, him spending the episode forcing her to do something? Yeah, keep shooting yourself in the foot.
    Except he wasn't doing it as a douchebag like most "Listen to your Patriarch" examples have proven (if Law and Order is anything to go buy, you can get yourself killed for not listening to the Patriarch). He was doing it with concern primarily to how the gym was being done. Do you honestly think if he had a grandson named Airon, and he did the same thing, Mile, Cilan, and Ash would be okay and dandy?

    And let's use the best example here Ash. Ash cannot be sexist, for the simple fact that he doesn't think complex things like that. Ash was pissed, because Ash loves to battle, not because some girl gym leader wanted to do things her way. Ash isn't complex like that. He was pissed simply because he didn't get to battle and that's it.

    Assumption, again. Even so, that does not mean she would always want to be.
    Well I hate to say it but you're making assumptions as well. And in this sort of topic, the writers aren't going to satisfy either of anyone's arguments, so our arguments can only be made on assumption.

    Again you are all missing the point, and big question. If Brock who didn't want to be a gym leader managed to leave his gym, then why can't Skyla?

    The Gym Leader who ditched his Gym to pursue a hobby. Yeah. There is no escaping the fact that Cilan has no argument against Skyla.
    Do you not see the irony in this quote?

    If Brock, and Cilan left their gym, to pursue a hobby then of course they have every right to be upset. Because they made the right choice. Leaving people in their place to be gym leaders (Brock's Family) and (Cilan's Brothers).

    While I certainly don't agree with her standpoint either, Cilan is just as bad, yet portrayed as in the right.
    People use this as an argument but I just don't see why, probably because they leave the reason unexplained.

    I'm pretty sure the Striaton gym does not require 3 gym leaders, in the games, all it was, was an interesting way for the game designers to have people do gyms based on your starter. In the anime, since that could not make sense (considering people do not start off all the time with an official starter Pokemon), the trainer gets to choose which gym leader he wants to battle.

    Now I suppose Cilan leaving would remove the grass element out of the gym. However I assume that, the only reason it works like that is because all three wanted to be a gym leader, and they got special permission. And look at the 8th gym, Drayden was the official gym leader in both, except in White, he let Iris be the gym leader.

    See, Skyla has options, she's just not using them, because she's lazy and doesn't want to make the effort.

    I understand that. But that's not where the entire problem lies.
    No, you're right, it's Skyla's laziness that's being the entire problem.

    This has nothing to do with Skyla not wanting to be a gym leader, and is being forced to be one, and is being lazy to rebel to the apparent fact that she's being forced to be a gym leader. How do I know this?

    *SPOILER* Skyla changed her methods, merely because of how fun her battle was with Ash and how wrong he proved her about the validity of air battles, and proving that air battles are not a valid way to do gyms. The gym battle excited Skyla, and then she decided to do it right.

    That's all this ever was. It had absolutely nothing to really do with her hobby, except that she had more time to do it. This had nothing to do with her being forced to be a gym leader.

    This had everything to do with "air battles" and how idiotic they really are, and not what a real gym leader should do. Do you really think that if Skyla was being forced to be a gym leader, that just by battling Ash and Ash proving her wrong about air battles, would really change her mind?

    Would a battle with Cilan do that either?

    How can anyone sit there, and say that this is sexist, when the problem that Skyla has using air battles is being resolved by battling? Why would battling solve anything? It doesn't change "your fact" that she's apparently being forced to be a gym leader. If this really was about sexism, or something to that effect, when Ash beat Skyla, Skyla would run away crying, because she lost, and was probably forced to do battling the right way, even though she just didn't want to.

    In fact that would be an entirely different storyline. Don't you think that Cilan, Iris, and Ash would want to help Skyla if she didn't want to be a gym leader but she was being forced by her "evil" grandfather.


    You do realize that compared to
    Just saying, the referee is supposed to be non biased when it comes to who wins or who loses, I do realize in this instance the referee is her grandfather, but that was just a coincidence and I wasn't thinking of that fact at the time I wrote it. Hell I'd say the same thing if it was Skyla's grandmother as a referee.

    Assumption. Her grandpa certainly tries to force her to follow his rules.

    Or that she has an unpleasant grandfather, which is what the episode gave us.
    I'm sorry, I have to ask. For those who don't want to get involved in the argument, this sexist argument. Do any of you remember Mile being a dick / douchebag to his granddaughter? OR did Mile look concerned, and disappointed with Skyla in a concerned grandparent way?

    If you voted the latter, then that just proves my point even more.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Skyla wanting time to fly her planes is understandable, it's her giving out or not giving out badges that was the problem. Though it seems the writers wanted us to side with Cilan and Ash so, along with that, they made her a cocky girl with this negative attitude towards Gym battles. However the problem is the writers did it too well. But for the record Skyla is not a bad person, it's just her attitude that gave out negative vibes and that's why for some people it was kind of hard to like her. Skyla was currently the worst portrayed Gym Leaders basically.

    Thankfully in the next episode it gets better. Btw I have never hated a character in this show as I always have a positive vibe towards it. And same goes for Skyla, I didn't hate her, I just disliked her cocky attitude, that's it.

    The Gym Leader who ditched his Gym to pursue a hobby. Yeah. There is no escaping the fact that Cilan has no argument against Skyla.
    I-I just don't get people who say this. I really don't. The Striaton Gym still has two Gym leaders running it - Cilan's brothers, Chili and Cress - so people can still get a challenge. It doesn't matter if one brother leaves because he wants improve his skills on something as long as the Striation Gym is still running and trainers still get to battle. And no, I'm not defending Cilan here (I would have said this for anyone) I'm just questioning this.
    Last edited by Raptor_Crow; 16th March 2012 at 7:33 PM.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_Crow View Post
    Skyla wanting time to fly her planes is understandable, it's her giving out or not giving out badges that was the problem. Though it seems the writers wanted us to side with Cilan and Ash so, along with that, they made her a cocky girl with quite a negative attitude towards Gym battles. However the problem is the writers did it too well. But for the record Skyla is not a bad person, it's just her attitude that gave out negative vibes and that's why for some people it was kind of hard to like her. One of the worst portrayed Gym Leaders in the anime in my opinion she was.
    That being said (and I agree with) confuses me as to why they made the music into her favor -_- that bugged the Shellos out of me...UNLESS it was to represent "Both Gym Leaders down to their final Pokemon".

    I-I just don't get people who say this. I really don't. The Striaton Gym still has two Gym leaders running it - Cilan's brothers, Chili and Cress - so people can still get a challenge. It doesn't matter if one brother leaves because he wants improve his skills on something as long as the Striation Gym is still running and trainers still get to battle. And no, I'm not defending Cilan here (I would have said this for any character) I'm just questioning this out of confusion.
    Also Dento didn't have a problem when Pod left the Gym [saying he would study like Dento would]. Corn was still there being the responsible one. I mean, they are all registered Gym Leaders :/ they don't all have to stay there. People can choose who they want to battle, if Pod was to start his own Gym and Dento was...somewhere it shouldn't make any difference if Corn was the one they battle.

    The only way Dento would be a hypocrite was if he wanted to follow one of his numerous Sommelier "hobbies" ...or whatever you call them and lockPod and Corn into the bathroom and decided to make up battles in his head.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dragon Village
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_Crow View Post
    Skyla wanting time to fly her planes is understandable, it's her giving out or not giving out badges that was the problem. Though it seems the writers wanted us to side with Cilan and Ash so, along with that, they made her a cocky girl with this negative attitude towards Gym battles. However the problem is the writers did it too well. But for the record Skyla is not a bad person, it's just her attitude that gave out negative vibes and that's why for some people it was kind of hard to like her. Skyla was currently the worst portrayed Gym Leaders basically.

    Thankfully in the next episode it gets better. Btw I have never hated a character in this show as I always have a positive vibe towards it. And same goes for Skyla, I didn't hate her, I just disliked her cocky attitude, that's it.
    Actually she wasn't even that freaking cocky in this episode, Dento easily upstaged her in that department. She was more nonchalant about the whole thing which I really can't see why that boils so many people's blood, sure it wasn't right but that's hardly what I consider cocky. It was made to look worse than it was because of Ash, and more importantly Dento's, reactions. Honestly, I didn't feel that upset with her, if nobody manages to really push her in battle then of course she's gonna get a laid back attitude towards it. We've seen the same thing happen to other people, most notably the Champion Alder. Honestly, I think if Dento hadn't been so fired up, like she had killed a Pokemon or something, less people would be outraged at this episode.

    I-I just don't get people who say this. I really don't. The Striaton Gym still has two Gym leaders running it - Cilan's brothers, Chili and Cress - so people can still get a challenge. It doesn't matter if one brother leaves because he wants improve his skills on something as long as the Striation Gym is still running and trainers still get to battle. And no, I'm not defending Cilan here (I would have said this for anyone) I'm just questioning this.
    She doesn't have anyone to rely on to just say "hey I'm gonna do this so take my place", so you can't really compare those two situations. You're defending Dento, not that it's a problem, but just say it.

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    That being said (and I agree with) confuses me as to why they made the music into her favor -_- that bugged the Shellos out of me...UNLESS it was to represent "Both Gym Leaders down to their final Pokemon".
    Um what? I don't see what you're getting at here.

    Also Dento didn't have a problem when Pod left the Gym [saying he would study like Dento would]. Corn was still there being the responsible one. I mean, they are all registered Gym Leaders :/ they don't all have to stay there. People can choose who they want to battle, if Pod was to start his own Gym and Dento was...somewhere it shouldn't make any difference if Corn was the one they battle.

    The only way Dento would be a hypocrite was if he wanted to follow one of his numerous Sommelier "hobbies" ...or whatever you call them and lockPod and Corn into the bathroom and decided to make up battles in his head.
    Now that you mention the whole choosing who they want to battle, doesn't Dento have an obligation to the challengers that want to face him? He obviously can't do that right now, so the famous Striaton gym with the 3 gym leader brothers is down to 2. I can imagine that would make someone upset.

    He basically has though locked Pod and Corn into gym leader duties, not unless the whole gym closes and the brothers part. The Tri Badge is not really living up to it's name right now with only two brothers.

    (credit goes to Skiyomi)

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    7,497

    Default

    *looks at the posts*

    Sometimes I'm just embarrassed to be a part of this fandom. :/

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    He basically has though locked Pod and Corn into gym leader duties, not unless the whole gym closes and the brothers part. The Tri Badge is not really living up to it's name right now with only two brothers.
    And Pod and Corn were perfectly fine with Dento leaving. They miss him, but they knew that it was something he was going to do. He obviously didn't leave for good. That's his home and he still sees himself as a Gym Leader.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    Actually she wasn't even that freaking cocky in this episode, Dento easily upstaged her in that department.

    Honestly, I think if Dento hadn't been so fired up, like she had killed a Pokemon or something, less people would be outraged at this episode.
    While Dent was also being cocky during the battle, before that he did cool down from his previous outburst when he came up to Fuuro a second time and apologized for his previous actions (getting up to her face and yelling at her). Basically Dent was overconfident - he had absolutely no doubt he would win and teach Fuuro a lesson - but he was also calm during the battle, that was until Fuuro said something which got him all riled up.

    Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    She doesn't have anyone to rely on to just say "hey I'm gonna do this so take my place", so you can't really compare those two situations. You're defending Dento, not that it's a problem, but just say it.
    Okay I was defending Dent. But it wasn't because of favouritism, it was for the fact you can't compare the two situations like you said. Basically you can't compare a Gym leader giving out badges or none without battling (which pretty much isn't the right way to handle them) to a Gym leader leaving his Gym that still has two other people running it so trainers will still get a battle thus not effecting the said Gym in anyway. They're different.

    Just for the record I never defend a character I like out of favouritism.
    I only do it if they've been misread or if it's something like the above.

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    That being said (and I agree with) confuses me as to why they made the music into her favor -_- that bugged the Shellos out of me...UNLESS it was to represent "Both Gym Leaders down to their final Pokemon".
    Yes I didn't like how that music played when Fuuro gained the upper hand against Dent in the end. Nothing against Fuuro, it was just the vibe that whole scene gave out made the choice of music very unfitting to me (before it there was basically what was a Swanna and Fuuro trolling moment). I just found it didn't feel right.
    Last edited by Raptor_Crow; 16th March 2012 at 11:22 PM.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dragon Village
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    And Pod and Corn were perfectly fine with Dento leaving. They miss him, but they knew that it was something he was going to do. He obviously didn't leave for good. That's his home and he still sees himself as a Gym Leader.
    Well that's not obvious, we have no idea what Dento will do down the line. Nothing right now suggests that he's eager to return to being a gym leader.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_Crow View Post
    While Dent was also being cocky during the battle, before that he did cool down from his previous outburst when he came up to Fuuro a second time and apologized for his previous actions (getting up to her face and yelling at her). Basically Dent was overconfident - he had absolutely no doubt he would win and teach Fuuro a lesson - but he was also calm during the battle, that was until Fuuro said something which got him all riled up.
    Well before the battle he was being rude, and he realized that and later apologized. During the battle he was cocky. Overconfident, cocky, arrogant, whichever word you prefer that's how he was in battle. He never thought he would lose You can be cocky and calm at the same time, that's actually how it usually is. He had that I'm right so I can't lose mentality, he even was looking down on Skyla, but we see how that ended.

    Yes I didn't like how that music played when Fuuro gained the upper hand against Dent in the end. Nothing against Fuuro, it was just the vibe that whole scene gave out made the choice of music very unfitting to me (before it there was basically what was a Swanna and Fuuro trolling moment). I just found it didn't feel right.
    I don't really see what's being argued about the music here, I didn't notice anything out of place. If anything, I liked the music, it seemed very well placed and suspenseful. I realize some didn't want Dento to lose, but really are we arguing that the music wasn't in his favor? -_- The only time this series I've ever thought the music was unfitting was when Ash and Iris had their battle and the music seemed to go in Ash's favor, only for him to lose.

    (credit goes to Skiyomi)

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_Crow View Post

    Okay I was defending Dent. But it wasn't because of favouritism, it was for the fact you can't compare the two situations like you said. Basically you can't compare a Gym leader giving out badges or none without battling (which pretty much isn't the right way to handle them) to a Gym leader leaving his Gym that still has two other people running it so trainers will still get a battle thus not effecting the said Gym in anyway. They're different.

    Just for the record I never defend a character I like out of favouritism.
    I only do it if they've been misread or if it's something like the above.
    Except the Striaton Gym is affected. The entire point of that whole Gym was three Gym Leaders. Trio/Tri Badge. Trial Triangle. Triple Trouble. Tell me, are there three Gym Leaders there right now?

    *looks at the posts*

    Sometimes I'm just embarrassed to be a part of this fandom. :/
    Right now I am too. Because if this was Cilan's grandmother and Iris yelling at him for breaking the concept of his Gym, I guarantee you the reactions would be bawwing about how dare they be so mean to poor Dento.

    The entire thing several of you are missing (or flat out ignoring at this point) is that the thing Skyla was doing "wrong" was only condemned by male characters. There wasn't anything resembling widespread discontent with her methods. Everyone who had a problem with her just coincidentally happened to be male, thus creating the perception of sexism in it.
    Last edited by The Great Butler; 17th March 2012 at 7:32 AM.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    I don't really see what's being argued about the music here, I didn't notice anything out of place. If anything, I liked the music, it seemed very well placed and suspenseful. I realize some didn't want Dento to lose, but really are we arguing that the music wasn't in his favor? -_- The only time this series I've ever thought the music was unfitting was when Ash and Iris had their battle and the music seemed to go in Ash's favor, only for him to lose.
    It's got nothing to do with the music not being in Cilan's favour (to me at least) it's got to do with how the whole scene panned out. It was just an odd choice of music that I thought would have been unfitting if it played for either Skyla's or Cilan's favour. Victory music just wouldn't have fitted for Cilan as well as Skyla.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    The entire thing several of you are missing (or flat out ignoring at this point) is that the thing Skyla was doing "wrong" was only condemned by male characters. There wasn't anything resembling widespread discontent with her methods. Everyone who had a problem with her just coincidentally happened to be male, thus creating the perception of sexism in it.
    It was basically a bad choice of Gym leader regarding the genders of the characters for the scenario. If it had been a male Gym leader or if there was a female character involved in it then it wouldn't viewed as sexism to some. As I watch Pokémon to enjoy it, never taking it seriously, I was unable to view it all as sexism, just two people who have an involvement in Gyms as well as a family member not being accepting of what's happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Right now I am too. Because if this was Cilan's grandmother and Iris yelling at him for breaking the concept of his Gym, I guarantee you the reactions would be bawwing about how dare they be so mean to poor Dento.
    Ugh, when people say stuff like like this just disgust me. "Oh you love Cilan so you obviously would whine if a character yells at him for doing something wrong." no, just no. I for example love Cilan. But do I think he's the greatest thing ever in the show? No. Do I think he can do nothing wrong? No. I love him because he entertains me and I enjoy his personality, that's it. And is there anything wrong with that? No there isn't, just like there isn't anything wrong with people who aren't fond of Cilan because they find he does way too much and/or is annoying. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. Stop jumping to the conclusion that every single Cilan fan would not accept any harsh criticism against him especially when he does something wrong. If Cilan causes a problem that was his fault with nothing to back it up I wouldn't try and defend him, I would call him out for causing the problem. And I can easily see when he's in the wrong and have no problem if he failed at something. In fact, due to his optimistic and positive personality, I would love Cilan to have a huge flaw and/or see him suffer (something to humble him) because I enjoy it when this happens with my favourite characters.

    I've mentioned this several times before, but while Cilan ranks more like my favourite character, I love him Ash and Iris equally. In fact, like I already mentioned, I have never hated anybody in this show. I would go as far as being neutral to a character or not caring for them, but never hate. I didn't even hate Skyla, I just wasn't accepting of her giving out or not giving badges without a Gym battle and the stuff she said about battles. And no, this is not anything to do with favouritism. If this had been Iris I would be saying the exact same thing- I would side with her rather than the person who's attitude towards something I didn't like even though that person isn't even bad themselves. It's basically how I viewed the whole scenario. I apologize if I was being kind of harsh there with me saying I was disgusted by what you said, but I really was sick and tired of those who think every single Cilan fan would be biased to any criticism he got, especially when there's nothing to back him up when he's at fault. Maybe there are some people like that, but not everybody who loves Cilan is.
    Last edited by Raptor_Crow; 17th March 2012 at 1:05 PM.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wherever *****s go
    Posts
    5,033

    Default

    Oh my god, not this crap again. It's not a bloody sexist episode. Are you lot honestly saying that Skyla was right to guess the outcome of battles? It's one of the stupidest things that I've ever heard. She literally just guessed who would win the battle, it was completely unfair. As Ash proved, you couldn't trust her decisions. It's absolutely preposterous that she was allowed to decide who was going to win a battle that could go anyway. Sure it's her Gym, but she didn't give anybody a chance. A Gym is for battling, it's the whole point of the things. Nobody was forcing Skyla to be a Gym leader, if she didn't want to do it she could have just quit.

    Christ, this fandom.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •