Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90

Thread: RU Metagame Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A place
    Posts
    0

    Default RU Metagame Discussion Thread

    RU Metagame Discussion Thread
    Approved by Blue Harvest

    For those of you who don't know, RarelyUsed is a relatively new Smogon tier that is between UU and NU. It was created mainly because of the massive amounts of new Pokemon in the fifth generation. Although the playerbase is relatively small, there is no shortage of good players and the battles are always fought at a high skill level. Anyways, this is the place to discuss all things RU!


    Banlist:
    All Pokemon in BL2 or above are banned.
    The abilities Drought, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning are banned.
    You may not use a Pokemon with the moves Shell Smash and Baton Pass on the same set.
    You may not use a Pokemon with the ability Drizzle and a Pokemon with the ability Swift Swim on the same team.

    Current RU:
    Accelgor
    Aerodactyl
    Aggron
    Archeops
    Bouffalant
    Clefable
    Cofagrigus
    Crawdaunt
    Crustle
    Drapion
    Druddigon
    Dusknoir
    Escavalier
    Electivire
    Entei
    Feraligatr
    Ferroseed
    Gallade
    Galvantula
    Hariyama
    Hitmonchan
    Hitmonlee
    Kabutops
    Klinklang
    Lanturn
    Lilligant
    Magneton
    Mandibuzz
    Manectric
    Medicham
    Mesprit
    Moltres
    Munchlax
    Nidoqueen
    Omastar
    Poliwrath
    Primeape
    Qwilfish
    Rhydon
    Roselia
    Rotom
    Rotom-C
    Sandslash
    Sceptile
    Scolipede
    Scyther
    Sigilyph
    Slowking
    Smeargle
    Spiritomb
    Steelix
    Tangrowth
    Typhlosion
    Uxie
    Whimsicott


    Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Just have to say this isn't Smogon. You don't need approval to post topics here

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    I've honestly found Smeargle to be quite useful in this tier. There's still Taunt and priority to watch out for but when you can Baton Pass a Gear Shift and Ingrain to Golurk or Regigigas, it can create destructive forces to be reckoned with.

    Also, yes, I use Regigigas for sweeping in Singles and am proud of it.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A place
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Just have to say this isn't Smogon. You don't need approval to post topics here
    It sounds more official that way.

    And yeah, Smeargle's pretty good. Not only can it Baton Pass every boosting move in the game. It can also set up Trick Room, which is really anti-meta. Nasty Plot Cofagrigus is really hard to kill under Trick Room, since it gets that great Ghost/Fighting coverage. The only two stops to it are Munchlax and Mandibuzz, and almost everything else gets destroyed. Sucker Punch is unreliable, either from Honchkrow or CB Spiritomb, so Cofagrigus is really top-tier.


    Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    SANTA ISN'T REAL, KIDS
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by complete legitimacy View Post
    It sounds more official that way.

    And yeah, Smeargle's pretty good. Not only can it Baton Pass every boosting move in the game. It can also set up Trick Room, which is really anti-meta. Nasty Plot Cofagrigus is really hard to kill under Trick Room, since it gets that great Ghost/Fighting coverage. The only two stops to it are Munchlax and Mandibuzz, and almost everything else gets destroyed. Sucker Punch is unreliable, either from Honchkrow or CB Spiritomb, so Cofagrigus is really top-tier.
    Yeah, quite good.


    I still cannot see why Durant is considered for being BL2. It is quite powerful and fast, yes, but it has terrible HP and Special Defense meaning any decently powered special attack, even resisted ones, will 2HKO it pretty well. Also, until it Hone Clawses, it has to rely on a 72% accurate move to hit half the tier.
    did you think I'd post something here or something

    wait I just did gdi

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Where the grass is greenest
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Archeops FTW. Archeops can pretty much PWN anything in RU.




    New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    SANTA ISN'T REAL, KIDS
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pichu47 View Post
    Archeops FTW. Archeops can pretty much PWN anything in RU.
    Except basically half the tier, because they're so zetta bulky. :J
    did you think I'd post something here or something

    wait I just did gdi

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Where the grass is greenest
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    Except basically half the tier, because they're so zetta bulky. :J
    Nah, flying gem acrobatics can 2HKO almost everything in the tier.




    New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a basket
    Posts
    286

    Default

    I've played NU for most of my metagame career, but I guess I will dabble in RU. And yes, I will soon be submitting an RU team based around Qwilfish as soon as I'm done with Project #ArcanineForOu
    Generic Signature

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Why is Sharpedo in considered in RU? With Speed boost how can it be in RU? I use RUs a little in the OU enviroment just so people can not predict me as well. (Gallade, Sawsbuck, Scolipede, Accelgor, ex.)

    credit goes the DarkCharizard2

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktail View Post
    Why is Sharpedo in considered in RU? With Speed boost how can it be in RU? I use RUs a little in the OU enviroment just so people can not predict me as well. (Gallade, Sawsbuck, Scolipede, Accelgor, ex.)
    It's incredibly frail and lacks any good attack boosting moves.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Nothing is more powerful than friendship. Well, except a +2/+2/+2 Adamant Kyurem Black. In which case, you're done for.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Up someone's a**crack
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    It's incredibly frail and lacks any good attack boosting moves.
    It has Swords Dance, so I wouldn't actually say that it has terrible attack boosting moves, but you're right about it being frail.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

    [In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

    RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

    RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    It has Swords Dance, so I wouldn't actually say that it has terrible attack boosting moves, but you're right about it being frail.
    No it doesn't.

    The best stat boosting move I can find is agility. :/
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Nothing is more powerful than friendship. Well, except a +2/+2/+2 Adamant Kyurem Black. In which case, you're done for.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Death City
    Posts
    303

    Default

    U Y NO LIST BUTTERFREE!?

    Butterfree may be vulnerable to Stealth Rock, but she's got a wide movepool and decent stats. Tinted Lens allows Butterfree to deal more damage to steel types that would otherwise wall her. Compoundeyes, on the other hand, would be suitable for a defensive moveset.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A place
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanik View Post
    U Y NO LIST BUTTERFREE!?

    Butterfree may be vulnerable to Stealth Rock, but she's got a wide movepool and decent stats. Tinted Lens allows Butterfree to deal more damage to steel types that would otherwise wall her. Compoundeyes, on the other hand, would be suitable for a defensive moveset.
    While I agree with you that Butterfree is good, it is not listed because it is not actually in RU. It is in NU.


    Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houghton, MI
    Posts
    35

    Default

    since when is Aerodactyl and Whimsicott RU? o.O
    Pkmn W: 3181 5617 3649
    Pkmn W2: 1464 4040 1673
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/rbijc4.jpg[/IMG]

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatjeremykid View Post
    since when is Aerodactyl and Whimsicott RU? o.O
    A dedicated lead is nowhere near as effective as it was last gen, and it's sweeping abilities are sub-par, making it limited to revenge killing for offensive power. Whimsicott... I use it for support, and it really is effective. It's way too good for RU, and if smogon put it to a vote, I bet it would be banned.

    Four attack LO Galvantula and Sub-DD Crawdaunt are my two favorite sweepers in this tier. Galvantula can dismember any times once ground types are gone with Thunder. Not only that, but Bug Buzz hits Claydol, who is the most common ground type, while Energy Ball can hit Sandslash, another common ground. Crawdaunt can easily come in on stuff like Quagsire and start DDing. I understand Quagsires usually have Unaware, but Crunch is a 3 hit KO while Quagsire does squat in return.
    I have officially claimed Castform, The Master of all Weather!


    Monorpale is my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon so far. If you have a problem with it, you can talk to the tassel hand.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sound View Post
    A dedicated lead is nowhere near as effective as it was last gen, and it's sweeping abilities are sub-par, making it limited to revenge killing for offensive power. Whimsicott... I use it for support, and it really is effective. It's way too good for RU, and if smogon put it to a vote, I bet it would be banned.

    Four attack LO Galvantula and Sub-DD Crawdaunt are my two favorite sweepers in this tier. Galvantula can dismember any times once ground types are gone with Thunder. Not only that, but Bug Buzz hits Claydol, who is the most common ground type, while Energy Ball can hit Sandslash, another common ground. Crawdaunt can easily come in on stuff like Quagsire and start DDing. I understand Quagsires usually have Unaware, but Crunch is a 3 hit KO while Quagsire does squat in return.
    As one of the main members participating in the creation of the RU tier over the last five rounds of the RU suspect process I'd just like to say that we're never going to ban Whimsicott. Ever.

    Also Unaware Quagsire hard counters DD Crawdaunt even at +6 why would you ever try and set up on it with it. .-.

    And uh, on other stuff, Archeops isn't that great, tbh. It's basically going to be always firing off Acrobatics turn one, and after that initial flare of power (where it still gets wrecked by any Steel-type that switches in, and don't give me **** about predicting and using Earthquake) it's basically worthless, since there are tons of things that can check or counter it easily at that point. Stealth Rocks are on literally every decent team, and they totally cripple Archeops. Pretty much every team runs priority, and all the anti meta trick room running around also messes with it pretty badly.

    I'd also like to say that Sharpedo is significantly less broken than Durant is. Even though this seems ridiculous to all of you that have never played RU and are posting in this thread to pretend to look smart anyways, it's true. The only reason that Sharpedo is OU viable is because the OU metagame is ridiculously kind to it. The only priority running around OU is Scizor's bullet Punch, the most common bulky waters are easily weakened, or outright blown through by Sharpedo, and in general a lot of OU teams are just really vulnerable to it. In RU, that's flat out not true. Many of the bulky waters are really hard to weaken effectively, there are at least five common users of priority moves which all take a huge chunk out of Sharpedo, and there are things like Tangrowth and Slowking, a core which it can't even effectively break or weaken.


    edit: seriously if you're just going to be just ****ing theorymonning then get out of this thread. the metagame's existed for more than six months at this point, and the fact that you think you're at all qualified to post here with zero knowledge of it is ridiculously dumb

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dragon's Den
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Whimsicott is broken ._.
    (wary)
    Let the flaming begin >:3
    "Everything will be all right in the end.
    If it's not all right, then it's not the end."


  20. #20

    Default

    Woah, did epic_eevee just make a real deal quality post? 0.o

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
    Whimsicott is broken ._.
    (wary)
    Let the flaming begin >:3
    That's cute.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houghton, MI
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sound View Post
    A dedicated lead is nowhere near as effective as it was last gen, and it's sweeping abilities are sub-par, making it limited to revenge killing for offensive power. Whimsicott... I use it for support, and it really is effective. It's way too good for RU, and if smogon put it to a vote, I bet it would be banned.
    Even still, a Power Herb Dactyl can wreck a lot of pokemon. I use one, but not as a lead. After i KO something with Sky Attack, i can use tailwind while the opponent revenge kills it (as it is pretty frail). i just never expected it to drop that low.
    Pkmn W: 3181 5617 3649
    Pkmn W2: 1464 4040 1673
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/rbijc4.jpg[/IMG]

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A place
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Yeah, Whimsicott will never be banned. It can't do anything to any Grass-types, like Ludicolo, Ferroseed, and Lilligant. It's still incredibly annoying, but it's barely even good enough to even be in RU. It's getting close to NU usage now.

    Of the two, Durant is definitely the bigger issue. I've heard that Durant is getting its fair share of yesses, and I know of one for sure. I doubt anybody is voting yes for Sharpedo. It's not even suspect-worthy imo.


    Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Up someone's a**crack
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    As one of the main members participating in the creation of the RU tier over the last five rounds of the RU suspect process I'd just like to say that we're never going to ban Whimsicott. Ever.

    Also Unaware Quagsire hard counters DD Crawdaunt even at +6 why would you ever try and set up on it with it. .-.

    And uh, on other stuff, Archeops isn't that great, tbh. It's basically going to be always firing off Acrobatics turn one, and after that initial flare of power (where it still gets wrecked by any Steel-type that switches in, and don't give me **** about predicting and using Earthquake) it's basically worthless, since there are tons of things that can check or counter it easily at that point. Stealth Rocks are on literally every decent team, and they totally cripple Archeops. Pretty much every team runs priority, and all the anti meta trick room running around also messes with it pretty badly.

    I'd also like to say that Sharpedo is significantly less broken than Durant is. Even though this seems ridiculous to all of you that have never played RU and are posting in this thread to pretend to look smart anyways, it's true. The only reason that Sharpedo is OU viable is because the OU metagame is ridiculously kind to it. The only priority running around OU is Scizor's bullet Punch, the most common bulky waters are easily weakened, or outright blown through by Sharpedo, and in general a lot of OU teams are just really vulnerable to it. In RU, that's flat out not true. Many of the bulky waters are really hard to weaken effectively, there are at least five common users of priority moves which all take a huge chunk out of Sharpedo, and there are things like Tangrowth and Slowking, a core which it can't even effectively break or weaken.


    edit: seriously if you're just going to be just ****ing theorymonning then get out of this thread. the metagame's existed for more than six months at this point, and the fact that you think you're at all qualified to post here with zero knowledge of it is ridiculously dumb
    Bravo, boy. Bravo.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatjeremykid View Post
    Even still, a Power Herb Dactyl can wreck a lot of pokemon. I use one, but not as a lead. After i KO something with Sky Attack, i can use tailwind while the opponent revenge kills it (as it is pretty frail). i just never expected it to drop that low.
    That's just called poor use of a Aerodactyl.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

    [In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

    RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

    RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatjeremykid View Post
    Even still, a Power Herb Dactyl can wreck a lot of pokemon. I use one, but not as a lead. After i KO something with Sky Attack, i can use tailwind while the opponent revenge kills it (as it is pretty frail). i just never expected it to drop that low.
    Specs Draco Meteor can wreck even more, then all it needs to do is swap out for another one.

    I'm not surprised it dropped that far below at all, even though I no nothing about lower tiers.
    the metagame's existed for more than six months at this point, and the fact that you think you're at all qualified to post here with zero knowledge of it is ridiculously dumb
    I'm surprised with myself for even reading this thread, I never even touched an RU team.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Nothing is more powerful than friendship. Well, except a +2/+2/+2 Adamant Kyurem Black. In which case, you're done for.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houghton, MI
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    Bravo, boy. Bravo.

    That's just called poor use of a Aerodactyl.
    A kamikaze lead is better than a suicide lead. what would you do, stealth rock? almost everything else does that better.
    Pkmn W: 3181 5617 3649
    Pkmn W2: 1464 4040 1673
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/rbijc4.jpg[/IMG]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •