Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RU Metagame Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I'm surprised with myself for even reading this thread, I never even touched an RU team.
    Then I think you might wanna take the hint.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

Quote Originally Posted by thatjeremykid View Post
    Even still, a Power Herb Dactyl can wreck a lot of pokemon. I use one, but not as a lead. After i KO something with Sky Attack, i can use tailwind while the opponent revenge kills it (as it is pretty frail). i just never expected it to drop that low.
    can we remove the 10char rule this post would be so much better if it were just me bolding that

Played RU a few times and sharpedo misses a little power there never defeated more than 2 pokemons...
    but primeape is pretty good there... I also succeeded using muk effectively
    RU is like a lite UU 4gen tier it gives even NU pokemon a chance there so no pokemon is forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Am I the only person who notices Scolipede's usage? That thing is an amazing Spiker, though it's stopped cold by Sandslash.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by thatjeremykid View Post
    A kamikaze lead is better than a suicide lead. what would you do, stealth rock? almost everything else does that better.
    A suicide lead is a kamekaze lead...
    And you're telling me that Taunt/Stealth Rock is not superior to Sky Attack/Tailwind?
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

So yeah, Durant's been banned. The OP's been updated to reflect this. I also added DrizzleSwim which I forgot the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by complete legitimacy View Post
    So yeah, Durant's been banned. The OP's been updated to reflect this. I also added DrizzleSwim which I forgot the first time.
    Which kind of sucks, since I was about to build an RU team with Durant as one of the main focuses. ): I guess I'll have to go Crustle, or something.

As I said earlier, I'm going to be creating an RU team really soon (after the 2012 International Tournament), so this thread's going to be very important.

What are the primary threats of the RU tier?

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Linoone's got it's swag on now.

Try Pinsir or Feraligatr over your Durants. They're both devastating physical sweepers that could fill Durant's void.
    http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=35776

i'm pretty sure i just found the most hilarious pogeymanz are satan discussion ever

Yeah, Feraligatr is amazing right now. It's cool in a number of ways, from great bulk, great power, and good coverage. It hits everything in RU neutrally except for Ferroseed with Return and Waterfall. Aqua Jet is cool since after a Swords Dance you can hit most faster threats except for Sceptile. It also sets up on Qwilfish, which is really common and is most teams answer to a lot of physical threats. I wish I had a chance to use it with Durant since most of their counters are dealt with by the other.

hm. Feraligatr. Never thought of that. That works! Especially since Feraligatr was my first Pokemon ever, so. Nostalgia ftw!

So, a Luxray, Beheeyem/Mushaarna, and Feraligatr team good so far?

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Quote Originally Posted by NACHOE! View Post
    hm. Feraligatr. Never thought of that. That works! Especially since Feraligatr was my first Pokemon ever, so. Nostalgia ftw!

As much as I love Luxray, what does it have against Manetric or Electivire? While Intimidate is good, I think that the mentioned two would do job on team better. That aside, what is your opinion on Crawdaunt? As for me I love it. It's slow and frail, but 2xSTABs is something. Access to Dragon Dance is something too, but it is hard to set up. Will it be The Sea Terror of RU or will it be the left out crab in front of Sharpedo? Discuss! What do you think? What sets have you been running successfully? What team support does it need and everything else RU related!
    Kawaii >3<
    >_<
    ^^
    -___-^
    (01:41:52) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 62/47119 [1391 points / 1016 battles]! Smogon server

(22:46:55) *** Your rank in Standard NU is 40/3980 [1206 points / 152 battles]!

Quote Originally Posted by NACHOE! View Post

Luxray is outclassed extremely by Manectric or Electivire. Both have better offensive stats and Speed, and useful niches that Luxray lacks. Uxie is better as a bulky Psychic.

Also, Crawdaunt is too slow even after a DD. As such, it needs two to do ****, which means it needs a ton of support to do anything. Sharpedo >>>>>>>>>>>>> Crawdaunt.
    http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=35776

i'm pretty sure i just found the most hilarious pogeymanz are satan discussion ever

A wild Tier Shift appeared!
    You used Bump Thread!
    It's super effective!

Anyways, the OP has been updated. Claydol, Gligar, Honchkrow, and Sharpedo have all moved on to bigger and better things, while we received nothing new. On the other end, Charizard, Ludicolo, and Sawsbuck have dropped to NU while Mesprit has joined the ranks of RU.

This is gonna spice up the metagame dramatically. Claydol was a great Pokemon for stall teams, providing both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin while resisting EdgeQuake and Fighting. Gligar was a top physical wall, one of the few that had reliable recovery. A lot of things ran things such as Ice Punch or HP Ice just to beat it. Honchkrow was the tier's top wallbreaker, and also ran a deadly SubRoost set that required you to have a Steel on every team. And last but not least, Sharpedo was the best late-game cleaner in the metagame, and even though it was deemed not broken it still left the tier by way of UU usage.

As for changes that I've seen while playing, you should probably run ThunderPunch on all your Medichams and Hitmonchans, as the two major reasons to use Ice Punch are gone. This instead opens you up to hit things like Qwilfish and Slowking, although hitting Moltres on the switch is also cool. SubPunch Aggron is good right now, since Tangrowth doesn't switch in as CB Head Smash 2HKOes guaranteed with Stealth Rock. The things that can take CB Head Smash don't like taking Focus Punches, and vice versa. One last thing, is that a lot of things around 80 base speed tended to run just enough to beat Adamant Honchkrow (Hitmonchan, Feraligatr, Kabutops), so now they''ll need to find something else to want to outspeed. I've been basing my EVs around max speed Omastar, since you never want that setting up and it can hit pretty hard right off the bat. Anyways, discuss your experiences in the new metagame. Please stay away from theorymonning in this thread, although this is Serebii.

Stupid RU taking one of our best mons and not giving us Crustle.

RU is one of the best tiers I have battled in recent memory. I think it has to do with the fact there's a good mix of different types of pokemon and strategies.

I have a suggestion. Maybe to the OP you could add what pokemon were banned this past round. It'd get the word out more clearly for people tha looking through the list if they can use these pokemon. This might help to prevent some players fromgoing into RU matches such as for SBF or somethin with these pokemon. I'm pretty sure all that was banned were: Claydol , Honchcrow, Gligar, and Sharpedo.

GodDamnZilla

yeah, I'm going to agree cofagrigus needs to be banned

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with my RU team.

Spoiler:- My team:

I know it's kinda bad but It's my first try at RU
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

I guess I could offer a little basic set advice.

Quote Originally Posted by irock245 View Post
    Feraligatr (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Roar
    - Aqua Jet
    - Swords Dance
    - Ice Punch
    Water/Ice coverage is decent, but it leaves you walled pretty badly by Pokemon like Slowking and Poliwrath. Since Roar doesn't really seem to be doing anything in particular, I'd throw Return on there to balance out the coverage. In addition, you could run Waterfall over Ice Punch. This will still leave you walled by Ferroseed, but it will also give you a much more powerful STAB attack.

Drapion (M) @ Scope Lens
    Trait: Sniper
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - X-Scissor
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Night Slash
    I'd go ahead and run Life Orb over Scope Lens, which will be more helpful nine times out of ten. Also, running Aqua Tail over X-Scissor will let you nail a few RU Pokemon like Rhydon and Golurk.

fck teh wrld (Sigilyph) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Cosmic Power
    - Roost
    - Stored Power
    - Shadow Ball
    You could run Psycho Shift over Shadow Ball and Flame Orb over Leftovers for the classic Sigilyph set, which is honestly one of the best RU stallbreakers there ever was. Besides that, Sigilyph might appreciate HP Fighting over Shadow Ball to nail Steel and Dark types, but that will leave you hopelessly walled by Spiritomb. Flame Orb + Psycho Shift will let you come out on top against Spiritomb, though.

Golurk @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    - Stone Edge
    - Mega Punch
    - Shadow Punch
    - Earthquake
    Mega Punch just doesn't look like it's helping in any particular way. I'd just go with Hammer Arm or Focus Punch. Both get the Iron Fist boost, and Hammer Arm is more reliable. Focus Punch can be very useful if you predict a switch to something like Ferroseed or Magneton, which might switch in to take a Shadow Punch or Stone Edge.

Rotom-C @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Trick
    - Volt Switch
    - Leaf Storm
    - Thunderbolt
    I'd personally run HP Fire over Thunderbolt or Volt Switch so that Pokemon like Ferroseed, Magneton and opposing Rotom-C don't manhandle you, but otherwise it looks okay.

Gallade (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    - Stone Edge
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Night Slash
    Quick tip: Gallade loves Shadow Sneak, so I'd definitely run that over Night Slash. Most BU Gallade sets I've seen are much more defensively oriented, but I guess an offensive BU set could work too. I'd still run Leftovers instead of Lum Berry, though.

Hope that helps!

I just started RU yesterday. It's so much fun! Way better then OU in my opinion. I find that many NU pokemon work in RU as well. *coughcorsolaandaudinocough*

Corsola? Mind telling how you use it? it sounds interesting.

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by John Wallrein View Post
    Corsola? Mind telling how you use it? it sounds interesting.
    Mainly used as a Rocker, but also a sp.atker and Weak mixed wall.

I just noticed it has regenerator as an abiility. That could help it. Stealth Rocks is what gives it anything from not being outclassed by Slowking though other than that Slowking is a much better choice.

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by John Wallrein View Post
    I just noticed it has regenerator as an abiility. That could help it. Stealth Rocks is what gives it anything from not being outclassed by Slowking though other than that Slowking is a much better choice.
    Yeah. But Corsola has favoritism and Rocks going for him! Plus, when paired with my other members, they have good coverage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast