Page 41 of 362 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 9033

Thread: Gameplay Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Quote Originally Posted by drinky93 View Post
    -More to do with the Pkmn Musical, Its just a pointless gimmick at the moment which really didn't appeal to many players. (Or alternatively replace it)
    I honestly found dressing up my Haxorus with bow ties, top hats, monocles and what not to be one of the most enthralling things ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Whimsicotton View Post
    I tried to collect every last Spinda design ever)
    There are like four billion.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchman_93 View Post
    One of the only things that would really matter to me, more so then the story even. Would love if they made the seasons affect even the battles, perhaps eating up more PP in the summer do to the heat, or perhaps have harsh winds in the fall make flying Pokemon susceptible to ground attacks due to not being able to fly. They can do wonders if they wanted to, so I just don't understand why they don't.
    I think PP dropping and stuff would be a bit much, but I'd certainly love more differences between the seasons. Have snow in Castelia, Nimbasa and other places for Winter, have more Pokemon and NPC differences, there's loads they could do. I think the aesthetic differences could be improved a little too, right now it's really only the tree colours.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrosharp_98 View Post
    Cool thoughts! I'd like, that if in the coming days to the change of season, there's a shop for you to buy clothes depending in which season is upcoming. I think it'd just be a clever touch to make the player more customisable
    Eh, I don't really see the point of changing clothes. It's not like you can really notice the difference on the sprite anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemonpa7 View Post
    What if they introduced twin Pokemon? That would be really cool, like two pokemon hatching out of one egg?

LEVEL UP.
    But like, what would that do besides creating something new for the people who love making Pokemon families.

Quote Originally Posted by Finalflashgame View Post
    I wonder if they are going to be anymore pokemon lol. There are already so many dx
    Ahaha, no.

I want a new mini-region/area. Maybe the coasts to the Southwest or Northeast there could be some cool cities with interesting things, and there are probably islands south of Nimbasa City (those could have a Caribbean theme). Also, gym leader rematches and new areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Sapphire Sceptile~ View Post
    There are like four billion.
    Yeah, I figured that one out eventually. Also considering I was like ten and had no patience whatsoever and only just about managed to get maybe seven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
    I want a new mini-region/area. Maybe the coasts to the Southwest or Northeast there could be some cool cities with interesting things, and there are probably islands south of Nimbasa City (those could have a Caribbean theme). Also, gym leader rematches and new areas.
    Sounds pretty good. Kind of like the Sevii Isles on FRLG you mean? I'd rather there wasn't two entire regions to explore like in GSC/HGSS - it was fun, but really, I didn't find it that interesting or anything. But additional islands would be pretty cool.

I used to wonder what McDonalds could be - until you shared your ketchup with me
    Big hamburger, tonnes of fries, a beautiful tray, milkshakes with straws, sharing nuggets is an easy feat
    And this ketchup makes it all complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    You are not alone. The Trick Master was really interesting, I liked solving those puzzles. If he is ever brought back I'd like there to be more puzzles.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post
    Yes, yes! A thousand times yes! The Trick House was awesome. I hope The Trick Master makes a return.
    You see, this is why BW1 leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not only are some major mechanics in the series missing, but a bunch of little things too. They're not much by themselves, but they add up, and can almost make or break the game for me. It makes games like BW1 feel like a huge step back, and that doesn't exactly sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by neo darkrai View Post
    I don't know if anyone said anything about this, but I hope for more things to be done with the seasons. The only big change was Winter. When Black and White were revealed to have seasons, I thought that they'd have differences when it comes to exploring. An example would to have water rise up a bit during the Summer to access some optional areas. I hope that they do something similar to this in BW2.
    They should handle seasons like this:

(Use the sidebar to see the other parts).
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Doom View Post
    You see, this is why BW1 leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not only are some major mechanics in the series missing, but a bunch of little things too. They're not much by themselves, but they add up, and can almost make or break the game for me. It makes games like BW1 feel like a huge step back, and that doesn't exactly sit well with me.
    Finally someone else who found BW1 a little empty. :I I thought I was the only one who didn't think this game was that huge an improvement

I used to wonder what McDonalds could be - until you shared your ketchup with me
    Big hamburger, tonnes of fries, a beautiful tray, milkshakes with straws, sharing nuggets is an easy feat

Finally someone else who found BW1 a little empty. :I I thought I was the only one who didn't think this game was that huge an improvement
    They did make some improvements, but on the whole it was one step forward and 2 steps back.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Hmm...
    I suppose the change I want to see is the Musicals. Not much fun in tapping the touch-screen twice, then just watching. I miss the contests.

Do not doubt the Cloyster Clan.

Quote Originally Posted by craigprime View Post
    Hmm...
    I suppose the change I want to see is the Musicals. Not much fun in tapping the touch-screen twice, then just watching. I miss the contests.
    I want the G3 contests back. G4 contests were kinda sucky. Maybe if they could bring back the mechanics of the part where you showed off your moves but keep the dress up part (Because I think that's hilarious) but kick the dancing part out.

Why do you say that?

Graphics wise BW was a huge improvement. Diamond and Pearl were the ones that hardly improved anything in that department. The battles looked nearly the same. And the overworld looked worse than Gen 3 in my opinion because of the sketchy 3D and the low frame rate (Gen 3's framerate was 60 FPS while Diamond and Pearl's was 30 FPS). Black and White was the step up that the DS's graphics capabilities warranted.

Story-wise, Black and White was much better. I would go as far to say this is the first time Game Freak actually put effort into the story. The characters finally had some complexity to them and the plot was actually unpredictable for once. And the ending actually felt somewhat like a cinematic experience.

Gameplay wise...well, Pokemon never really changes in that department, and if it did, it would be unwelcome, so no harm in the lack of improvement there.

The only downside to the games is that the region felt a little small compared to Hoenn and Sinnoh, so I guess I see where your coming from if that's what you're referring to. However, it was still bigger than Kanto and Johto.

But Diamond and Pearl were the installments that felt empty to me; Black and White was a major redemption in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TWN View Post
    Why do you say that?

Graphics wise BW was a huge improvement. Diamond and Pearl were the ones that hardly improved anything in that department. The battles looked nearly the same. And the overworld looked worse than Gen 3 in my opinion because of the sketchy 3D and the low frame rate (Gen 3's framerate was 60 FPS while Diamond and Pearl's was 30 FPS). Black and White was the step up that the DS's graphics capabilities warranted.

Story-wise, Black and White was much better. I would go as far to say this is the first time Game Freak actually put effort into the story. The characters finally had some complexity to them and the plot was actually unpredictable for once. And the ending actually felt somewhat like a cinematic experience.

Gameplay wise...well, Pokemon never really changes in that department, and if it did, it would be unwelcome, so no harm in the lack of improvement there.

The only downside to the games is that the region felt a little small compared to Hoenn and Sinnoh, so I guess I see where your coming from if that's what you're referring to. However, it was still bigger than Kanto and Johto.

But Diamond and Pearl were the installments that felt empty to me; Black and White was a major redemption in my opinion.
    I agree with Diamond and Pearl TBH. They seemed more like slightly revamped RSE with a different storyline and two screens.

Graphics wise... I actually really dislike the way they did the 3D in the game, many would disagree, but sometimes it looks just plain weird. The 2D models don't seem to work with some of the layouts they have, also things that are far away look way too pixelated. Other than that, the graphics are pretty good.

I love the story in BW, too - I usually don't pay much attention to the story but in B&W I was really intrigued. However post-storyline the game felt a little... Eh. I thought there should have been more post-storyline content, but I suppose all the games could improve on that.

Most of the reason I thought it was empty was because just before we get HGSS, bundled full of cool features, and then in B&W those features disappeared and it felt a little odd not being able to use them again.

I know they may not do it but
    I want Dragon Quest DS graphics. No more chibi please. idk its me I guess since everyone loves the chibi form.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraMaster View Post
    I know they may not do it but
    I want Dragon Quest DS graphics. No more chibi please. idk its me I guess since everyone loves the chibi form.
    The small overworld Sprites is what makes pokemon games pokemon games and not just an everyday RPG. I'll admit a pokemon game like that would be pretty cool, but given how the games usually function, it's probably best to leave it as is

Why do you say that?

Way to ignore my post. Anyway, BW1 took a lot of great improvements Platinum and HGSS made and threw them out the window. When a game does something like that it usually doesn't make a good impression, does it? It's about the little things, they may not seem like much, but they add up. Why does BW not have a proper rematch system, let alone a Vs. Seeker, which is something that should never leave the series in future installments (except for the RS remakes, where the Phone is more in line with the originals)? Why can't Pokemon follow you around like they did in HGSS? Why are there no Gym Leader rematches? Why did they bring back Dive only for it to be only used to access an empty ruins area that kicks you out soon after you enter? They shouldn't be eliminating things like these to save them for 3rd versions or things like that, they should be expanding on them. It's things like these that make BW seem like a downgrade instead of an improvement.

Also as you mentioned, the small and linear nature of Unova makes it feel less exciting, exploration should be a part of the game. The Pokemon League shouldn't be a destination, it should be an adventure.

IMO the only thing that was empty in DP was the Sinnoh Dex, and that was addressed and fixed in Platinum.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 12th March 2012 at 12:24 AM.

What is this map everyone is talking about? What did I miss? o.O

Way to ignore my post. Anyway, BW1 took a lot of great improvements Platinum and HGSS made and threw them out the window. When a game does something like that it usually doesn't make a good impression, does it? It's about the little things, they may not seem like much, but they add up. Why does BW not have a proper rematch system, much less a Vs. Seeker, which is something that should never leave the series in future installments (except for the RS remakes, where the Phone is more in line with the originals)? Why can't Pokemon follow you around like they did in HGSS? Why are there no Gym Leader rematches? Why did they bring back Dive only for it to be only used to access an empty ruins area that kicks you out soon after you enter? They shouldn't be eliminating things like these to save them for 3rd versions or things like that, they should be expanding on them. It's things like these that make BW seem like a downgrade instead of an improvement.

IMO the only thing that was empty in DP was the Sinnoh Dex, and that was addressed and fixed in Platinum.
    I agree about the VS Seeker. I don't agree about the Pokemon following you part. It was a gimmick for HGSS, much like the Pokewalker. Agree about the Gym Leader rematches. Unsure about Dive.

BW did feel like it lacked a little compared to HGSS and DPPt. But the new things it introduced adequately makes up for it.

Disagree about the Sinnoh Dex. It wasn't empty, just poorly executed (which like you said was fixed in Pt).
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)

If you add me P/VM me.

Spoiler:- CREDITS:

What is this map everyone is talking about? What did I miss? o.O
    You didn't miss anything. Someone found a map of a place that some of the less intelligent users here thought was Unova (yet it didn't really look like Unova at all), and it turned out to be from a non-Pokemon game.

BW did feel like it lacked a little compared to HGSS and DPPt. But the new things it introduced adequately makes up for it.
    How? BW didn't really add much. Besides the usual new Pokemon, new moves, etc. the only notable improvements made were shaking spots/double grass, the DW (which is way more trouble than it's worth BTW), Entralink, fancier 3D effects, and a better story. And those do not make up for what they took out of the game.

How? BW didn't really add much. Besides the usual new Pokemon, new moves, etc. the only notable improvements made were shaking spots/double grass, the DW (which is way more trouble than it's worth BTW), Entralink, fancier 3D effects, and a better story. And those do not make up for what they took out of the game.
    This

The fancier effects weren't even that good part of the time and sometimes resulted in things looking way too distorted and pixelated. Am I the only one who hates the stupid circular things, like on Skyarrow Bridge? Seriously, the 2D Sprites arent designed to move around models like that. D:

Call me crazy, but I hated the linearity of the overworld without the need for HMs.

Water areas were redundant early in the game before Surf (and no fishing rods) and Dive was a gimmick without any real in-game necessity. Although they were annoying, HMs like Rock Smash, Strength and Cut were a great way to provide additional areas later in the game when you 'unlocked' the ability to use certain HMs.

Going through Unova, I felt like there was no mystery - I followed a straight path and there was nothing to be surprised about. I want more restricted areas, more HM use!

This

The fancier effects weren't even that good part of the time and sometimes resulted in things looking way too distorted and pixelated. Am I the only one who hates the stupid circular things, like on Skyarrow Bridge? Seriously, the 2D Sprites arent designed to move around models like that. D:
    No, you're not the only one. I hated that kind of stuff too. Castelia City was especially painful. The static, properly proportioned models were fine. But whenever something was rotated or scaled it looked terrible.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

You didn't miss anything. Someone found a map of a place that some of the less intelligent users here thought was Unova (yet it didn't really look like Unova at all), and it turned out to be from a non-Pokemon game.

Ah, ok.

You forgot triple/rotation battles, reusable TMs, and the EV Feathers. Oh and Black City/White Forest (although they are a bit annoying).

I kind of like the DW. I really only use it to get event Pokemon, and it's not that much trouble to use.
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)

If you add me P/VM me.

Spoiler:- CREDITS:

Quote Originally Posted by oakbark View Post
    Call me crazy, but I hated the linearity of the overworld without the need for HMs.

Water areas were redundant early in the game before Surf (and no fishing rods) and Dive was a gimmick without any real in-game necessity. Although they were annoying, HMs like Rock Smash, Strength and Cut were a great way to provide additional areas later in the game when you 'unlocked' the ability to use certain HMs.
    I totally agree. I hate the fact that the region is just a circle with no roads going in different directions - I never got lost, never needed to explore. I really miss that from the previous games. I mean even getting lost in Mt. Coronet seems pretty good compared to the straight routes in G5.

I miss having to beat gyms for HM uses - not that you even need HMs in this game. About two trees to cut down and that's all I've seen so far playing through it again recently (Haven't really played in like a year, lol)

That, and all the extra areas in the game continue on in the normal circle, so it's not like you're even going anywhere new, like in DPPt when you'd already gone round nearly all of Sinnoh by the time you get to the elite four, then you unlock a new island. That's better than just connecting the region in one loop.

I agree with Diamond and Pearl TBH. They seemed more like slightly revamped RSE with a different storyline and two screens.

Graphics wise... I actually really dislike the way they did the 3D in the game, many would disagree, but sometimes it looks just plain weird. The 2D models don't seem to work with some of the layouts they have, also things that are far away look way too pixelated. Other than that, the graphics are pretty good.

I love the story in BW, too - I usually don't pay much attention to the story but in B&W I was really intrigued. However post-storyline the game felt a little... Eh. I thought there should have been more post-storyline content, but I suppose all the games could improve on that.

Most of the reason I thought it was empty was because just before we get HGSS, bundled full of cool features, and then in B&W those features disappeared and it felt a little odd not being able to use them again.
    Ah, yeah, there were a few steps back from HgSs, but I think the main reason for that was because BW was being developed at the same time as HgSs and the game design for BW was established before the design for HgSs. I have little doubt that aesthetic features such as Pokemon following you will return in BW2 and will become new staples of the series.

Way to ignore my post. Anyway, BW1 took a lot of great improvements Platinum and HGSS made and threw them out the window. When a game does something like that it usually doesn't make a good impression, does it? It's about the little things, they may not seem like much, but they add up. Why does BW not have a proper rematch system, let alone a Vs. Seeker, which is something that should never leave the series in future installments (except for the RS remakes, where the Phone is more in line with the originals)? Why can't Pokemon follow you around like they did in HGSS? Why are there no Gym Leader rematches? Why did they bring back Dive only for it to be only used to access an empty ruins area that kicks you out soon after you enter? They shouldn't be eliminating things like these to save them for 3rd versions or things like that, they should be expanding on them. It's things like these that make BW seem like a downgrade instead of an improvement.

Also as you mentioned, the small and linear nature of Unova makes it feel less exciting, exploration should be a part of the game. The Pokemon League shouldn't be a destination, it should be an adventure.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you! I saw your post, but you hadn't really expanded on what mechanics were missing and I didn't know what you were referring to.

Yeah, I've been annoyed by Game Freak's habit of eliminating gameplay mechanics established in the previous "third version" and remakes to save them for the current generation's "third" installment and remakes, such as the Battle Frontier and gym rematches. But they've been doing that since generation 3, so it's no reason to single out Black and White. They'll do it next generation too.

I totally agree. I hate the fact that the region is just a circle with no roads going in different directions - I never got lost, never needed to explore. I really miss that from the previous games. I mean even getting lost in Mt. Coronet seems pretty good compared to the straight routes in G5.
    Exactly, I'm replaying Ruby at the moment and it's so much fun.

I needed Rock Smash to unlock a route to continue the game and had to beat a Gym to use it, I needed to loop around Mt. Chimney (which had a cave which had a special area accessed by Strength) to get Go-Goggles to enter a nearby desert, a special bike to access certain parts of caves and certain mountainous areas. When I descended Meteor Falls, it brought me back to Rustboro City. When I learned Surf (usable only after a Gym battle), I got to access water routes I had previously boated across in the early stages of the game. I also got to access trainers and grass above Rustboro City, and the New Mauville power plant, and an abandoned ship (that Dive allowed me to access even further).

I needed Surf to continue my progress to Fortree. Along the way, there were areas I could only access with a special bike. Surf was needed to get to Mt.Pyre and also a route south of Mt.Pyre that cannot be accessed any other way. The ocean was packed with Dive areas, one of which gave me access to the last Gym. The ocean areas were also free to roam in every direction, with special areas accessed only by Diving underwater and resurfacing elsewhere.

What happened in BW? I was treated like a 3 year old, which is what the games were clearly aimed at. I had a straight line to follow, and every two minutes one of my 'friends' would battle me and tell me what to do or where to go. No secret areas, no places to explore, just straight roads that forced you to the end of the game without any room for error. I hope they change this in as much as they can for BW2.

I needed Rock Smash to unlock a route to continue the game and had to beat a Gym to use it, I needed to loop around Mt. Chimney (which had a cave which had a special area accessed by Strength) to get Go-Goggles to enter a nearby desert, a special bike to access certain parts of caves and certain mountainous areas. When I descended Meteor Falls, it brought me back to Rustboro City. When I learned Surf (usable only after a Gym battle), I got to access water routes I had previously boated across in the early stages of the game. I also got to access trainers and grass above Rustboro City, and the New Mauville power plant, and an abandoned ship (that Dive allowed me to access even further).

I needed Surf to continue my progress to Fortree. Along the way, there were areas I could only access with a special bike. Surf was needed to get to Mt.Pyre and also a route south of Mt.Pyre that cannot be accessed any other way. The ocean was packed with Dive areas, one of which gave me access to the last Gym. The ocean areas were also free to roam in every direction, with special areas accessed only by Diving underwater and resurfacing elsewhere.

What happened in BW? I was treated like a 3 year old, which is what the games were clearly aimed at. I had a straight line to follow, and every two minutes one of my 'friends' would battle me and tell me what to do or where to go. No secret areas, no places to explore, just straight roads that forced you to the end of the game without any room for error. I hope they change this in as much as they can for BW2.
    This is exactly why RSE were my favorite Pokemon games. I can't wait for a remake; unfortunately they probably won't come until the end of Generation 6. I wish Genius Sonority (the subsidiary of Nintendo designed to make Pokemon console games) would take over the remakes (since there would be little designing involved and it would be pretty hard to mess them up) so Game Freak can focus on fresh installments. I would much rather see Pokemon remakes on the Wii U than another Battle Revolution... A man can dream.

You forgot triple/rotation battles
    Which weren't used nearly as much as they were hyped up to be. I mean for Arceus' sake, you only got one Triple Battle in Black and one Rotation Battle in White, and it was a one time battle.

reusable TMs
    Ah yes, I forgot about that. That's a pretty good improvement, but it still doesn't make up for it.

EV Feathers.
    Not everyone EV trains, so this is a rather pointless addition to those people.

Black City/White Forest (although they are a bit annoying)
    That's kind of an understatement. It's imbalanced because White gets over a dozen more version exclusives than Black, plus the trainers in Black City have inconsistent levels (some are in their 50's and 60's, while some are only in their 30's), making it not very ideal for training. Plus it takes a lot of maintenance to keep Black City from turning into a parking lot, you have to go and battle the trainers EVERY ****ING DAY or else everyone leaves and the place turns into a parking lot. It starts to become a chore after a while.

I kind of like the DW. I really only use it to get event Pokemon, and it's not that much trouble to use.
    Thing is, the DW is meant for getting Pokemon with new abilities, but if you want to be able to breed the abilities, it's a lot of trouble. First off, they restrict you to only going one hour every 24 hours. Not even once a day, once every 24 hours. Which means you need to be able to go on the same time every day to get there, otherwise you have to skip a day. Also, you can't even use Game Sync more than once every 24 hours, which means if you put a Pokemon to sleep and then realize you need it for something, you are denied access to the DW that day if you wake it back up, because Game Sync needs to "recharge". Tell me Game Freak, is it really ****ing necessary to have TWO game mechanics that only run every 24 hours? And once you get on and go to the Island of Dreams (where all the DW Pokemon are), you don't get to pick which area you go to, and you have a limited number of times to go to the Island of Dreams before the areas become completely empty. Wanna get some Rugged Mountain Pokemon? Well TOO ****ING BAD, it randomly decided to send you to Pleasant Forest 10 times. Which is especially annoying if you already have everything in that area, because then it's just wasting your time. And when you actually find the Pokemon you want and beat whatever shitty minigame they want you to do, 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time it's always a ****ing male, which is useless for breeding purposes. So basically you end up coming back empty handed most of the time. For the last month or so I've played, I only got anything out of it, like, once or twice. I've had much better luck getting DW abilities from the Trade Forum than the DW itself, and in fact I'm so aggravated with this entire ordeal that I'd practically give away DW Pokemon for free. Either they need to lighten up on some of these annoying restrictions or they need to come up with some other incentive if they want you to keep coming back every day.

I miss having to beat gyms for HM uses - not that you even need HMs in this game. About two trees to cut down and that's all I've seen so far playing through it again recently (Haven't really played in like a year, lol)
    I like it, I find beating Gym Leaders to be an annoying restriction. They should only restrict you from using certain HMs based on when they're handed out. Just about the only one that should be necessary for completion is Surf, and it's such a powerful battle move that a lot of people will use it anyway.

Yeah, I've been annoyed by Game Freak's habit of eliminating gameplay mechanics established in the previous "third version" and remakes to save them for the current generation's "third" installment and remakes, such as the Battle Frontier and gym rematches. But they've been doing that since generation 3, so it's no reason to single out Black and White. They'll do it next generation too.
    Well if BW2 really are remakes, then there's hope they'll learn not to do this either.

This, although unless they add a significant amount of areas to Unova (which I sincerely hope they do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't), there's probably not much they can do about that. They could reduce the handholding a bit, but without any multiple paths to choose from, you'll still be able to deduce where you're going rather easily. Although to be fair, there were a few places to explore, but for the most part they were pretty easy to find and straightforward.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 12th March 2012 at 1:51 AM.

This, although unless they add a significant amount of areas to Unova (which I sincerely hope they do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't), there's probably not much they can do about that. They could reduce the handholding a bit, but without any multiple paths to choose from, you'll still be able to deduce where you're going rather easily. Although to be fair, there were a few places to explore, but for the most part they were pretty easy to find and straightforward.
    Yeah, they completely restricted their future options with the way they laid out the Unova Routes. You'd have to add loads of routes and relocate Gyms to other towns to make the game non-linear.

Page 41 of 362 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast