Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #61

Hybrid View

Default Community POTW #61

Kind of got a special one here...a three-for-one

This week, our focus is upon the Pokémon Gorebyss and its brother Huntail

Gorebyss and Huntail are great Pokémon, and capable of a lot, being one of the only Pokémon with the Shell Smash / Baton Pass combo.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/368.shtml and http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/367.shtml

In addition to this, pre-evolution corner is one of the awesome ones where it gets its own article.

Clamperl is capable of doing some decent damage and is rather bulky

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/366.shtml

Gorebyss is in RU at last check, and hasn't really shone till Gamefreak gifted it with Shell smash+hydration which is just brilliant IMO

Smash sweep (original name right)
    Timid nature
    evs; 4 hp 252 Spd 252 SPa (fairly standard)
    Item: life orb/ lefties/white herb
    ~ Shell Smash
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Hidden Power Grass
    Pretty standard. Smash, then demolish what ever you can. Herb to prevent the defence drop. Hp grass for quaggy and lanturn who else destroy this thing. Other moves for cover, surf over Hydro as it has bad accuracy

Other sets.
    Quite obliviously, a baton pass set could be used, but beware of phasers as passing is quite common.

Other moves: hydro pump has been mentioned but shaky accuracy is off putting
    HP fire for grass, but Quaggy and lanturn would have a field day with this thing.
    Physical should be avoided, as it has terrible atk.

Counters: Quaggy and lanturn, mentioned it too much.
    That's all chaps, overall this thing is a devastator if teams are unprepared for it. Expect a lot of phase pokemon needed for this thing

Next weeks: Camerupt.
    Last edited by Ttar's stone edge; 26th February 2012 at 3:14 PM.
    I have claimed the deadly snake Seviper, as of December 2 2011

Huge credit to Brutaka Blaziken and PkmnFn for the banner
    This archeops is currently staring into your soul. Deal with it.

Shouldn't we do Huntail too?

I know it's not as good as Gorebyss but...
    Shiny Mega Gardevoir thinks his black dress is totally stylish. Shiny Mega Gallade wishes he looked that good. :P

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Quote Originally Posted by Mon1010 View Post
    Shouldn't we do Huntail too?

I know it's not as good as Gorebyss but...
    I was considering that. It's still on the RNG and I don't want to overwork Blue Harvest

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    I was considering that. It's still on the RNG and I don't want to overwork Blue Harvest
    Actually we should do Huntail. Gorebyss is basically Shell Smash + Rain Dance sets and Clamperl is just NU / LC Shell Smash so maybe Huntail will make this less boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Actually we should do Huntail. Gorebyss is basically Shell Smash + Rain Dance sets and Clamperl is just NU / LC Shell Smash so maybe Huntail will make this less boring.
    I agree that we shoudl do all 3 they all have similar stratgies so i think we should do all 3 there is my 2 cents

Credits to Sworn for the Banner, buttons to astral shadow, Drac Buttons to EG

Gorebyss? Ah whoop-de-doo, I found this thing iffy even in Ruby and Sapphire – what’s that? Shell Smash and Baton Pass at its side?

Putting that last paragraph aside, Gorebyss does appear to have just about everything a standard sweeper needs – A nice base 114 Special Attack, Swift Swim to double and fix that pitiful base 52 Speed, and Shell Smash, one of the greatest setup moves around. In addition, base 105 Defense adds a little extra bulk to this sweeper – but I stress only a little, because 55 HP isn’t going to back up much. Still, Gorebyss fits the standard sweeper quota and even has a couple unique tools of its own to use over other Water-types.

Abilities:
    Swift Swim – Doubles Gorebyss’ Speed in Rain. For an offensive attacker, Gorebyss needs this; even if Shell Smash will do the same effect without this ability, bringing Gorebyss out with Drizzle Politoed can give it even one crucial turn to setup for the battle.

Hydration – Cures all status problems on Gorebyss when it’s raining. This is another very nice ability to use, and if you’re trying to pull off a Baton Pass set, not having to worry about passing a bad condition to your teammates is invaluable.

Gorebyss SMASH!
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash/White Herb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Nature: Timid (+ Spd, - Atk) / Modest (+ Sp. Atk, - Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Surf/Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Use Shell Smash to double your offensive stats and Speed, then prepare to sweep. Surf gets STAB and great power, but if you don’t want to harm your partner in doubles (although as I write this I don't think Gorebyss would do well in doubles), Scald is another good option. Ice Beam is the standard partner with any Water-type attack, getting rid of Grass-types that would pose a threat otherwise. Hidden Power Grass prevents other Water-types from resisting and stalling you.

There are a few item choices that would go well with this set. Life Orb gives even more power to your attacks, Focus Sash keeps you alive from a fatal hit (mostly while setting up Shell Smash), and the White Herb rids Gorebyss of the Defense and Special Defense drops from Shell Smash.

I have Shell Smash! Pass it on! (Baton Pass set)
    Item: White Herb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Hydration
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf/Scald
    - Ice Beam/Hidden Power [Grass]

This set plans for Gorebyss to mainly function as an assistant to a stronger member of the team with Shell Smash and Baton Pass. Use Shell Smash to double Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, receive no reduction in defenses with the White Herb; however, being Swift Swim won't be around to help Gorebyss' sad base 52 Speed, the Focus Sash can keep it alive just long enough to use Baton Pass the next turn. Finally, Baton Pass the boost to someone else. Hydration is recommended in this set because Gorebyss won’t end up passing a status condition to its teammates, which would create complications otherwise. Shall Gorebyss be placed in a corner and need to attack, Surf/Scald and Ice Beam/HP Grass are there like from the previous set.

LOOK AT ALL THE STATS I GIVE! (Gimmicky set)
    Item: White Herb
    Ability: Swift Swim/Hydration
    EVs: 252 Spd/252 HP / 4 Def
    Nature: Timid
    - Baton Pass
    - Shell Smash
    - Iron Defense
    - Amnesia

Lol, this is a stupid set. Like, really stupid – you’re Taunt bait, no questions asked. Plus, being Gorebyss is so frail, where would you get the time to use all these moves before getting plowed over? But this set is intended more as a list to show just how versatile Gorebyss is in the way of what it can pass to its teammates. Shell Smash and White Herb have been explained before. Iron Defense doubles Defense. Amnesia doubles Special Defense. Gorebyss literally can double any stat both offensively and defensively, and that’s pretty amazing. Too bad it’s so weak defensively itself. If you can manage to mess up your opponent to the point they can’t harm Gorebyss as it uses this set, you truly deserve a cookie.
    Last edited by Charizard Lizzy; 26th February 2012 at 4:53 PM.
    I'm thinking about creating a printer-friendly Pokédex guidebook for Black and White versions. Let me know what you think about it here.

Also, what the hell is wrong with the latest POTW? It has roselia and budew sets on the bottom from roserades set... 0.o
    I have claimed the deadly snake Seviper, as of December 2 2011

Huge credit to Brutaka Blaziken and PkmnFn for the banner
    This archeops is currently staring into your soul. Deal with it.

Here is a set for Gorebyss,

Ability: Swift Swim
    Nature: Modest / Timid
    Hold Item: ???
    Ev's: 4 HP / 252 S.Atk / 252 Spd

- Shell Smash
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Shadow Ball (or) HP [Electric/Ground/Grass]
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 26th February 2012 at 3:29 PM.

Ability: Hydration/Swift Swim
    Nature: Calm
    252 HP 232 Spd 24 SpD
    Baton Pass
    Shell Smash
    Surf
    HP Electric/HP Grass/Ice Beam

Smash pass set. This is banned in RU, but is allowed in UU and above. The idea is to pass the boosts from Shell Smash to a sweeper. She can also take advantage of the boosts herself.
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 26th February 2012 at 3:31 PM.
    Shiny Mega Gardevoir thinks his black dress is totally stylish. Shiny Mega Gallade wishes he looked that good. :P

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Quote Originally Posted by Mon1010 View Post
    252 HP 232 Spd 24 SpD
    Baton Pass
    Shell Smash
    Surf
    HP Electric/HP Grass/Ice Beam

Smash pass set. This is banned in RU, but is allowed in UU and above. The idea is to pass the boosts from Shell Smash to a sweeper. She can also take advantage of the boosts herself.
    Smash and pass is perma-blocked even from Uber. this set is not liable.
    I have claimed Octillery!

Next Week: Raticate

Anyway, I'm goin to do the ultimate set for a Clampearl so watch out

ULTIMATE SET FOR A CLAMPEARL
    Clampearl@Wise Glasses/Leftovers/Life Orb
    252 Special attack, 252 Speed
    Timid
    -Shell Smash
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -HP Electric/HP Grass/HP Fire

Shell Smash is amazing. Doubles offensive stats at the cost of -1 in defensive ones. Clampearl is also fairly bulky after the Smash, so it can actually take a hit. Surf gets STAB, Ice Beam for Grasses and Flyers and Grounds (Oh My!) and other scum. HP electric gets that cool pseudo-boltbeam, HP grass kills Water-Grounds, while Hp Fire kills Ferroseed.
    C+ Grade PASBL Ref

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    I've been gone from Serebii for over 4 months already and this is by far the best team to grace the barren wastelands of Serebii's Competitive section. Let its creation be known throughout the land. Kings will hold grand feasts to commemorate its conception. All wars will end. The eyes of children will finally be opened to the truth of MMS.
    Creds for the cute ub to my bby Turpoo <3

Statwise gorebyss is decent though it have bad speed and HP it's defense and special attack are pretty high for a low tier pokemon smashpass is it's main niche but it is able to use SS its' self.

hydration or swift swim: if used in drizzle teams then use hydration as SS+drizzle is banned in rain dance teams (there are some) use swift swim for more speed.

here is a set which with rain support is very dangerous:

@life orb/white herb/dump rock (the one which prolongs RD)
    Modest
    40 HP/216 sp.attack/252 speed
    Swift swim/Hydration
    -Shell Smash
    -Surf/Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -HP electric/grass/rain dance

this is a sweeping set without smashpass (which was banned for a reason in RU...
    it's very dangerous 406 speed and 608 special attack after 1 shell smash scary huh? (you can also put the HP evs in special attck but I think it is strong enough...

the set is pretty clear... just sayin' rain dance + shell smash + swift swim + hydro pump= GG

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Gorebyss

Item: Leftover
    Ability:Swift Swim
    Nature: Modest
    252 S.Attack , 252 Speed
    Baton Pass
    Shell Smash
    Surf
    Substitute

Clamperl :

Item : Evolite
    Ability : Shell Armor
    Nature : Bold\Calm
    252 Defense , 252 S.Defense
    Aqua Ring
    Toxic
    Whirlpool
    Confuse Ray

My first set, so... Don't be too harsh!

Stall Clamperl
    Leftovers
    Calm
    164 HP/192 Def/252 Sp. Def
    Rest
    Protect
    Sleep Talk
    Surf

Clamperl is't really constricted to LC, since it can cause severe damage in NU and even RU with a DeepSeaTooth

Calmperl @ DeepSeaTooth
    Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid (+Spe, - Atk)
    Ability: Shell Armor / Rattled
    ~ Shell Smash
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Hidden Power [Grass] / [Electric] / [Fire]

Clamperl's SpA reaches a devestating 988 after one Shell Smash with the DeepSeaTooth, and can outspeed all positive base 113 speed pokemon and lower (bar scarfers), and can pull off devestating sweeps in the lower tiers. Surf is STAB, and crushes all that don't resist it. Ice Beam is for Grass-types who can sponge your Surfs, while the Hidden Power depends on preferance. Grass hits troublesome Water-types, most notably Quagsire and othe Water / Grounds. Hidden Power Electric also hits Waters, but misses out on Water / Grounds to hit pokemon like Mantine. HP Fire is there to hit bulky Steels. Shell Armor is preffered, as you don't want a crit ruining your set up, but Rattled can net you a nice speed boost if facing an unexpecting opponent. Eviolite can be used to ease set up, but is pretty much useless after you set up the Shell Smash. Modest can get Clamperl to a point where it can OHKO most of the metagame, but it really needs the speed provided by Timid.

OH I forgot something... rest + hydration + drizzle/rain dance = full healing not like it can take hits but.. it can heal life orb damage...

Stall Clamperl
    Leftovers
    Calm
    Rest
    Protect
    Sleep Talk
    Surf
    no point to protect in a sleep talk set
    clampearl want's eviolite most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    no point to protect in a sleep talk set
    clampearl want's eviolite most of the time
    So how about this?

Stall Clamperl 2.0
    Eviolite
    Calm
    Rest
    Ice Beam
    Sleep Talk
    Surf

Gorebyss Grace

252 HP 232 Spd 24 SpD
    Baton Pass
    Shell Smash
    iron defence/aqua ring
    scald

This is my thought about smashpass is with shell smash many become that are good, but just need a little more speed or attack to be a sweeper suddenly get it. If your planning on useing a hp high sweeper go for aqua ring if not go for iron defence which any poke would like. After a shellsmash The Special attack should be high enough that a lower base scald will still do a nice amount of damage along with a good chance of burn to ruin physical sweepers.

Just my thoughts but I don't do much competive battleing much.

Gorebyss and Clamperl, eh? I wonder why they didn't throw in Huntail as well... Well, whatever. I'll put Gorebyss on this post and Clamperl on another.

Gorebyss would probably be a generic Water type Pokemon if not for two things: Shell Smash and Baton Pass. Alongside its sister Pokemon Huntail, it is the only Pokemon that gets both moves. Okay, there is Smeargle, but Smeargle gets every move... Unfortunately, the use of both moves on the same set is banned in NU and RU, removing Gorebyss' niche there. That said, Shell Smash can be used on its own to great effect with Gorebyss' decent Special movepool, and it can Baton Pass other things. Because of this, I'd say Gorebyss can be used in any tier to at least decent effect, although this depends on the set it runs.

Recommended tiers: NU-Uber

Swift Swim doubles Gorebyss' Speed in rain. As Gorebyss' base speed is pretty pitiful at base 52, this is a major help. It can give Gorebyss up to 446 Speed, and if you take Shell Smash or Agility into the equation as well, it becomes nearly unmatched in Speed. Of course, if you do use this ability, you can't have a Drizzler on the same team.
    Hydration works well for a more defensive Gorebyss. It has a great Defense stat and decent Sp. Defense; even with poor HP this ability can make a good Rain-Rest set. And, you can use it with Drizzle.

Gorebyss' movepool is shallow, making it predictable, but it's good at what it does. The Shell Smash set is standard now, working off Gorebyss' great Sp. Attack and increasing its poor Speed to great heights. The downside is the defense drop, but all Shell Smashers suffer that weakness. Surf or Hydro Pump provide great STAB power, while Ice Beam provides good coverage. Shadow Ball, Psychic, and Hidden Power can be used for filler.

Gorebyss can Baton Pass Aqua Ring, Substitute, Agility, Barrier/Iron Defense, and Amnesia. It is unfortunately outclassed in all of these cases. Shell Smash Baton Passing is where its niche lies, although you can only use that set in UU and higher. As I said before, a Rain-Rest set with Hydration can be used, but only in the lower tiers as Vaporeon majorly outclasses it in OU and Ubers.

Countering Gorebyss: Gorebyss doesn't have much HP and its Sp. Defense is average at best. Special Grass and Electric type moves will destroy it quickly. Beware of Shell Smash sets; they can leave you reeling in pain quickly. Remember that Gorebyss becomes quite fragile after even one Shell Smash though, so taking it out with priority moves can work. Ferroseed and Ferrothorn are probably the best counters to this pink fish, as they can take anything except Hidden Power Fire.
    Getting rid of any Rain is strongly recommended, as both of Gorebyss' abilities rely on Rain.
    Last edited by ClefairyRox; 26th February 2012 at 5:22 PM.

lol, I'm just going to add Huntail in. Its not a big deal, I just don't want to get stuck doing a Huntail-only POTW a few weeks down the road.

Smash Pass
    Gorebyss @ Leftovers
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Spd / 140 Def / 118 SpDef
    Calm Nature (+SpDef, -Atk) or Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Confuse Ray
    - Aqua Ring / Substitute

Confuse Ray gives the foe a 50% chance of attacking itself which might let you get away with Baton Pass. Aqua Ring and Substitute can also be BP'd.

Smash Pass 2
    Gorebyss @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SpDef
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Protect
    - Filler

Unlike the previous set, this set isn't built to last. You Shell Smash and live a hit with your Focus Sash then Baton Pass. Simple as that. Protect is used for scouting. You're a lot more vulnerable to priority attacks but you'll end up Baton Passing more often because of the Sash.

Clamperl is an oddball of a Pokemon, but not in looks (I think its actually quite cute). It is the only Pokemon with two hold items specifically designed for it that have an effect in battle. The DeepSeaScale doubles its Sp. Defense, and the DeepSeaTooth doubles its Sp. Attack. It's movepool is unfortunately shallow, but it does have access to the powerful Shell Smash move, giving it use.

Recommended tiers: LC, NU

Shell Armor prevents critical hits. You never know if its working because of the unpredictability of crits, but it provides some defensive insurance.
    Rattled raises Clamperl's Speed by one level every time it is hit with a Bug, Ghost, or Dark type move. This is situational, but with the vast number of Bugs in the NU tier, the likelihood of finding a Bug type move to be hit with is quite high.

Shell Smash combined with DeepSeaTooth is what makes Clamperl so deadly. The DeepSeaTooth gives Clamperl around 500 Sp. Attack to begin with, and then you throw a Shell Smash on top of that? That's terrifying. A small, predictable movepool hardly matters when you have that much power. Luckily for its opponents, Clamperl is slow even with a Shell Smash up. It can only get around 300 Speed with Timid nature and Shell Smash, so there is still plenty of competition that can outrun it. In Little Cup, very little can outrun Clamperl after a Shell Smash (it reaches 26 Speed) and it can tear everything apart with 64 Sp. Attack post boosts, making it very dangerous there, too.

Shell Smash alongside Surf, Ice Beam, and Hidden Power is pretty much all Clamperl can do. It is basically a one-trick clam. You could run a defensive set, but low HP and no reliable recovery make that unfavorable. There are really no other offensive moves for it to run, either. Okay, there is Scald, and Blizzard could be used in Hail, but power is preferred over the Burn chance on Clamperl.

Countering Clamperl: Even the strongest Special walls can be seriously hurt or even OHKO'd by Clamperl after a Shell Smash. Almost nothing in NU or LC can withstand that much power. Water Absorb or Storm Drain Pokemon can switch in on a Surf. You can also revenge kill it with a faster Choice Scarfer in both NU and LC, or use priority moves. It's pretty bulky but has poor HP and no reliable recovery, so it will fall eventually.

I'm surprised to see that the OU set for Gorebyss hasn't come up yet (I may have overlooked). This is the most common set and Gorebyss' best, IMO.

Gorebyss is one of three Pokemon who can pass a Shell Smash boost to another team member, blessing the recipient with +2 boosts in Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. However, it does have a few flaws, such as low HP, poor Special Defense, and a heavy reliance on White Herb. Nevertheless, Gorebyss is a surprising threat that every team should be prepared for.

SmashPass

Gorebyss (F) @White Herb
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf
    - Substitute / Ice Beam

PLAYING WITH GOREBYSS: Ideally, Gorebyss should be brought in against a Pokémon who can barely threaten her, such as a Pokémon locked into a resisted attack. From there, Gorebyss should use Shell Smash, and depending on the situation, use Baton Pass or attack directly. Surf is a powerful and reliable STAB move. Ice Beam nails any Grass- or Dragon-type Pokemon who happen to switch in. Ice Beam also allows Gorebyss to deal with phazers such as Roar Latias and Dragon Tail Gyarados. Alternatively, you may want to use Substitute, which is there to be passed on to the recipient as a bonus.

EV SPREAD: After a boost, 232 Speed EVs allow Gorebyss to outspeed base 130 Pokemon, such as Jolteon and Aerodactyl, even with a positive nature. Maximum HP and 24 Special Defense EVs allow Gorebyss to take hits better, especially as it has a nice base Defense stat. White Herb is a must-have item, as it negates both defense drops caused by Shell Smash.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS: For the fourth slot, if Substitute or Ice Beam is not required, Gorebyss may wish to run Hidden Power Grass or Fire in order to defeat some common checks and counters. Hidden Power Grass ensures that Water-type Pokemon do not wall Gorebyss, and Hidden Power Fire demolishes Ferrothorn and Abomasnow, two common switch-ins.

TEAMMATES: Dual screens support is appreciated, as it allows Gorebyss and its receiver to take hits easily. Latios has decent defensive synergy with Gorebyss, and can also use Memento, effectively leaving the foe with -6 Attack and Special Attack with screens set up. If offensively-oriented Pokemon are not desirable, some defensive options include Jirachi, Uxie (who, once again, can use Memento to your team's advantage), and Bronzong. It is recommended to have at least two dual screens users on a team with Shell Smash + Baton Pass Gorebyss, as this makes pulling off the risky SmashPass strategy much easier.

The recipient of the boost should not be any random Pokemon. There are certain qualities a Pokemon must possess in order to be a good receiver. First, a good receiver should be able to handle priority moves, either by possessing bulk or by being able to use its own priority attacks (or a combination of both). One example of this is Metagross; its Steel / Psychic typing enables it to shrug off many different types of attacks, and it has great bulk. Metagross can also use Bullet Punch, its own priority attack. Another quality the recipient should have is the ability to destroy common walls, such as Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Skarmory, and Blissey. Both Infernape and Landorus are excellent mixed wallbreakers, and can easily destroy walls after a Shell Smash. On a final note, having recipients hold Lum Berry is a good idea, as many Pokemon will attempt to cripple the recipient with status moves in order to prevent them from sweeping.

Gorebyss loathes priority attacks, even when behind screens. For example, Conkeldurr, running a specially defensive spread, can set up on it as it uses Shell Smash and deal heavy damage with Drain Punch + Mach Punch. A strong special attacker, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus, can easily defeat the aforementioned menace. Pokemon with the ability Prankster, such as Tornadus and Whimsicott, are also problems, as they can Taunt Gorebyss before it sets up or cripple it with status moves. Magic Bounce Espeon and Xatu can easily counter these threats by reflecting their attacks back at them, and on top of that, set up dual screens. Phazers also pose a problem, as they can force Gorebyss out, removing the Shell Smash boost. Calm Mind + Roar Latias, a common phazer, can be brought down by very powerful physical attacks, such as repeated Crunches from Choice Band Tyranitar. RestTalk Gyarados, another common phazer, is easily dented by Electric-type attacks, such as those from Rotom-W.

COUNTERS: Although rain support is not required for any Gorebyss attempting to use Shell Smash for sweeping, removing it makes taking it down much easier. Ninetales can easily switch in and not even flinch with its stellar 100 base Special Defense, not to mention its neutrality to Water-type attacks due to Drought, and threaten Gorebyss with either Energy Ball or SolarBeam. Abomasnow has to be wary of Hidden Power Fire, but it easily can smash Gorebyss with its STAB Wood Hammer. Tyranitar absolutely hates Surf, but can easily prey on Gorebyss's -1 defenses. Hippowdon should avoid switching into Gorebyss altogether, but can come in on a less threatening Pokemon and remove the rain. Note that directly countering Gorebyss is difficult, as most Gorebyss immediately baton pass at the first sign of danger. Pokemon with Prankster can also cripple Gorebyss with their priority status attacks or prevent it from using Shell Smash with Taunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
    I'm surprised to see that the OU set for Gorebyss hasn't come up yet (I may have overlooked). This is the most common set and Gorebyss' best, IMO.

Gorebyss is one of three Pokemon who can pass a Shell Smash boost to another team member, blessing the recipient with +2 boosts in Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. However, it does have a few flaws, such as low HP, poor Special Defense, and a heavy reliance on White Herb. Nevertheless, Gorebyss is a surprising threat that every team should be prepared for.

SmashPass

Gorebyss (F) @White Herb
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf
    - Substitute / Ice Beam

PLAYING WITH GOREBYSS: Ideally, Gorebyss should be brought in against a Pokémon who can barely threaten her, such as a Pokémon locked into a resisted attack. From there, Gorebyss should use Shell Smash, and depending on the situation, use Baton Pass or attack directly. Surf is a powerful and reliable STAB move. Ice Beam nails any Grass- or Dragon-type Pokemon who happen to switch in. Ice Beam also allows Gorebyss to deal with phazers such as Roar Latias and Dragon Tail Gyarados. Alternatively, you may want to use Substitute, which is there to be passed on to the recipient as a bonus.

EV SPREAD: After a boost, 232 Speed EVs allow Gorebyss to outspeed base 130 Pokemon, such as Jolteon and Aerodactyl, even with a positive nature. Maximum HP and 24 Special Defense EVs allow Gorebyss to take hits better, especially as it has a nice base Defense stat. White Herb is a must-have item, as it negates both defense drops caused by Shell Smash.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS: For the fourth slot, if Substitute or Ice Beam is not required, Gorebyss may wish to run Hidden Power Grass or Fire in order to defeat some common checks and counters. Hidden Power Grass ensures that Water-type Pokemon do not wall Gorebyss, and Hidden Power Fire demolishes Ferrothorn and Abomasnow, two common switch-ins.

TEAMMATES: Dual screens support is appreciated, as it allows Gorebyss and its receiver to take hits easily. Latios has decent defensive synergy with Gorebyss, and can also use Memento, effectively leaving the foe with -6 Attack and Special Attack with screens set up. If offensively-oriented Pokemon are not desirable, some defensive options include Jirachi, Uxie (who, once again, can use Memento to your team's advantage), and Bronzong. It is recommended to have at least two dual screens users on a team with Shell Smash + Baton Pass Gorebyss, as this makes pulling off the risky SmashPass strategy much easier.

The recipient of the boost should not be any random Pokemon. There are certain qualities a Pokemon must possess in order to be a good receiver. First, a good receiver should be able to handle priority moves, either by possessing bulk or by being able to use its own priority attacks (or a combination of both). One example of this is Metagross; its Steel / Psychic typing enables it to shrug off many different types of attacks, and it has great bulk. Metagross can also use Bullet Punch, its own priority attack. Another quality the recipient should have is the ability to destroy common walls, such as Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Skarmory, and Blissey. Both Infernape and Landorus are excellent mixed wallbreakers, and can easily destroy walls after a Shell Smash. On a final note, having recipients hold Lum Berry is a good idea, as many Pokemon will attempt to cripple the recipient with status moves in order to prevent them from sweeping.

Gorebyss loathes priority attacks, even when behind screens. For example, Conkeldurr, running a specially defensive spread, can set up on it as it uses Shell Smash and deal heavy damage with Drain Punch + Mach Punch. A strong special attacker, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus, can easily defeat the aforementioned menace. Pokemon with the ability Prankster, such as Tornadus and Whimsicott, are also problems, as they can Taunt Gorebyss before it sets up or cripple it with status moves. Magic Bounce Espeon and Xatu can easily counter these threats by reflecting their attacks back at them, and on top of that, set up dual screens. Phazers also pose a problem, as they can force Gorebyss out, removing the Shell Smash boost. Calm Mind + Roar Latias, a common phazer, can be brought down by very powerful physical attacks, such as repeated Crunches from Choice Band Tyranitar. RestTalk Gyarados, another common phazer, is easily dented by Electric-type attacks, such as those from Rotom-W.

COUNTERS: Although rain support is not required for any Gorebyss attempting to use Shell Smash for sweeping, removing it makes taking it down much easier. Ninetales can easily switch in and not even flinch with its stellar 100 base Special Defense, not to mention its neutrality to Water-type attacks due to Drought, and threaten Gorebyss with either Energy Ball or SolarBeam. Abomasnow has to be wary of Hidden Power Fire, but it easily can smash Gorebyss with its STAB Wood Hammer. Tyranitar absolutely hates Surf, but can easily prey on Gorebyss's -1 defenses. Hippowdon should avoid switching into Gorebyss altogether, but can come in on a less threatening Pokemon and remove the rain. Note that directly countering Gorebyss is difficult, as most Gorebyss immediately baton pass at the first sign of danger. Pokemon with Prankster can also cripple Gorebyss with their priority status attacks or prevent it from using Shell Smash with Taunt.
    lol.. CPed from Smogon

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast