Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #61

A three-for-one special? Hmm...for now, I'll stick to the evolutions...

Huntail & Gorebyss
    Shell Smash + Swift Swim will make you Speed demons. However, you don't have much on Sp.Def, nor HP. Also, Hydration gives Gorebyss a good option for defensive tactics.

Huntail excels in Attack and gets a few, yet decently powerful, Moves to show it off. Aqua Tail, Crunch, Ice Fang, Rock Tomb, Body Slam, and Super Fang (4th Gen Tutor only) make for some decent sets. However, it really needs Swift Swim active to function well. This straight-forward attitude makes it easier to figure Huntail out, but more difficult to switch-in to it, barring a K.O.

Gorebyss excels in Sp.Atk far more than Huntail does in Attack. You also have far more options to work with because of your deeper Movepool, Hydration, and buff-type Status Moves to work with Baton Pass. However, having more options gives Gorebyss less opportunity to use them. Hazers and Pseudo-Hazers will have a field day with it. This fluctuation makes it harder to figure out Gorebyss, but easier to switch-in to once its identity is discovered.

Overall, bad HP and Speed, above-average Sp.Def, good-to-great attack stats and Defense, and two weaknesses (one blockable by Ground, one uncommon outside of STAB usage) make you marginally-difficult to take down with either Pokemon. I say marginally because one good Special shot will likely be the end of Huntail or Gorebyss.

I like Water mono-Types in-general, but these two are at the pinnacle area of said mono-Type. Only Blastoise, Feraligatr, Golduck, Politoed, Wailord, Milotic, Samurott, Simipour, and the legendaries have better usage among Water mono-Types. Among Water Types in-general, though, Huntail and Gorebyss are severely outclassed, but they do manage to hold middle-ground (middle-pool?) among the full Water-Type spectrum.

A 485 Base Stat Total isn't half-bad when you consider a generous 430 of that is split between their non-HP stats. Speed suffers, but the other stats are well worth the consideration for team-building. Since Speed suffers, Trick Room is another obvious usage of Huntail and/or Gorebyss. Without Shell Smash and with Water Veil and Hydration Abilities for Huntail and Gorebyss (respectively), there are so many Pokemon that can be trolled, rolled, and rattled by one (or both) of these two in a Trick Room team...

Quote Originally Posted by Mon1010 View Post
    Item: White Herb
    Ability: Hydration/Swift Swim
    Nature: Calm
    252 HP 232 Spd 24 SpD
    Baton Pass
    Shell Smash
    Surf
    HP Electric/HP Grass/Ice Beam

Smash pass set. This is banned in RU, but is allowed in UU and above. The idea is to pass the boosts from Shell Smash to a sweeper. She can also take advantage of the boosts herself.
    Smash and pass is perma-blocked even from Uber. this set is not liable.
    I have claimed Octillery!

Bikini Smash
    Gorebyss@Focus Sash
    Modest nature
    Swift Swim
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Surf
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Psychic/Shadow Ball

Gorebyss used to be rather average. Then came Shell Smash. With just one use of Shell Smash, Gorebyss achieves over 700 Special Attack and over 400 Speed. Not bad at all. Surf is for STAB, Ice Beam for coverage, last move is up to you.

Item allows Gorebyss to survive the setup turn. Ability can help its lackluster Speed even further, making it an unstoppable force.

SmashPassByss
    Gorebyss@White Herb
    Timid nature
    Swift Swim/Hydration
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Barrier/Iron Defense/Surf
    ~Amnesia/Surf
    ~Baton Pass

Shell Smash + Baton Pass = carnage in the right hands. Gorebyss has a plethora of other boosting moves to aid its defenses as well, but Surf ought to be stuck in there somewhere, stops Gorebyss from becoming total Taunt bait.

Item ensures Gorebyss doesn't pass along Shell Smash's defensive drops. Ability is up to you.

Other options:
    *Gorebyss can pull off a defensive set with Hydration and Rest, but its HP is a tad lackluster for such a role.
    *A physical Shell Smash sweeping set is possible, but not recommended, as Gorebyss's only physical move that isn't Water or Normal-type is Bounce. Normal/Flying/Water isn't the world's best coverage.

Abilities:
    *Swift Swim: Doubles Gorebyss's Speed in the rain. By far its best ability, as it offers much-needed assistance to its weakest stat.
    *Hydration: Gorebyss's Hidden Ability. At the end of each turn, provided it's raining, Gorebyss is healed of all status ailments. Goes well with its nice defenses and ability to learn Rest, but Gorebyss lacks the HP to be very good at a bulky water role. Not the worst thing Gorebyss could've gotten, not by a long shot.

Partners:
    Irregardless of the ability, you want Politoed. Gorebyss is made for the rain, and you better damn well abuse it. Something to smashpass to wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Counters:
    Chansey and Blissey wall the sweeper set to hell and back, unless you opt for a physical set, in which case Skarmory and Ferrothorn screw you over. Actually, Ferrothorn screws you over anyway.

Opinion:
    Ehhh... I prefer Huntail.

Prediction for next week:
    Weezing

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 11 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Clamperl is one of the deadliest sweepers in LC.

Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
    Timid
    Max SpAtk/Speed, rest in HP
    Shell Armor
    Shell Smash
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    HP Grass

This set wrecks. After one Shell Smash, it has the equivalent of +6 SpAtk.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboee2 View Post
    Smash and pass is perma-blocked even from Uber. this set is not liable.
    LOL, whoever told you that is lying.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Huntail Smash
    Huntail@Focus Sash
    Adamant nature
    Swift Swim
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Aqua Tail/Waterfall
    ~Crunch
    ~Ice Fang

Huntail used to be rather average. Then came Shell Smash. With just one use of Shell Smash, Huntail achieves nearly 700 Attack and over 400 Speed. Not bad at all. Aqua Tail is for STAB (Waterfall makes for an acceptable substitute if the accuracy of Aqua Tail is off-putting enough), Crunch and Ice Fang for additional coverage.

Item allows Huntail to survive the setup turn. Ability can help its lackluster Speed even further, making it an unstoppable force.

SmashPassTail
    Huntail@White Herb
    Jolly nature
    Swift Swim/Water Veil
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Barrier/Iron Defense
    ~Waterfall
    ~Baton Pass

Shell Smash + Baton Pass = carnage in the right hands. Huntail has a small handful of other boosting moves to aid its Defense as well, and Waterfall stops Huntail from becoming complete Taunt bait.

Item ensures Huntail doesn't pass along Shell Smash's defensive drops. Ability is up to you.

Special Huntail Smash
    Huntail@Focus Sash
    Modest nature
    Swift Swim
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Surf
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Hidden Power (Electric)

Unlike Gorebyss, Huntail has the movepool options to sweep on both sides. Surf is for STAB, Ice Beam and HP Electric are for a pseudo-BoltBeam (PowerBeam?) combination for optimal coverage.

Item allows Huntail to survive the setup turn. Ability can help its lackluster Speed even further, making it an unstoppable force.

Bite 'n' Brine
    Huntail@Leftovers
    Modest nature
    Swift Swim
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Super Fang
    ~Brine
    ~Toxic/Confuse Ray/Protect
    ~ToxicConfuse Ray/Protect

Huntail is one of few Pokémon that can abuse an attack combination made in heaven; Super Fang and Brine. Walrein doesn't have enough moveslots to squeeze this into what it does best, and Sharpedo can't last long enough. Super Fang takes the opponent's HP down by half. Brine doubles in power if the opponent's HP is below half. Get the picture? Tack this one onto a rain team, you're talking, between the Brine boost, the Rain boost, and STAB, you're talking 292 base power. Coming off of base 94 Special Attack. Against opponents who only have half their HP remaining. Ohhhh, yeah. Last two moves are filler, they can help pile on the damage, or in Protect's case, encourage Leftovers recovery. Oh, and though it might seem tempting to give Huntail Shell Smash and swap Leftovers out for a White Herb, it can't be done. Shell Smash and Super Fang are illegal together on a Huntail. Shell Smash is only learnable by Clamperl in Generation V, and Huntail can only learn Super Fang in Generation IV.

Item allows Huntail to survive longer. Ability helps its lackluster Speed, making it an unstoppable force. Also only one legal with Super Fang.

Other options:
    *Huntail's movepool, while rather diverse, is far from perfect. It can learn Bounce and Rock Tomb, but neither of those are especially reliable or desirable moves as far as sweeping goes.
    *Huntail can run Sucker Punch, but between Swift Swim and Shell Smash, it doesn't really need a priority move that badly.
    *Huntail can also pass a Substitute, if you're into that kind of thing.

Abilities:
    *Swift Swim: Doubles Huntail's Speed in the rain. By far its best ability, as it offers much-needed assistance to its weakest stat.
    *Water Veil: Huntail's Hidden Ability. Prevents Huntail from being burned. It's good in theory, given that Huntail is more inclined towards physical attacking, but its Speed isn't all that good, which really makes Swift Swim and Shell Smash both necessary.

Partners:
    You want Politoed. Huntail is made for the rain, and you better damn well abuse it. Something to smashpass to wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Counters:
    Chansey and Blissey wall the special sweeper set to hell and back, unless you opt for the physical set, in which case Skarmory and Ferrothorn screw you over. Actually, Ferrothorn screws you over anyway. If you're running Shell Smash with no White Herb, beware priority moves.

Opinion:
    Huntail is hands down the cooler and more badass of the two Clamperl evolutions.

Weezing

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

Ugh this is what happens when I’m late. There’s already too much Gorebyss so I’ll do Huntail

Eel Thingy of Doom
    Huntail @ White Herb
    Trait: Water Veil
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall/Aqua Tail
    - Ice Fang/Body Slam
    - Crunch
    - Shell Smash

Clampearl is also just as deadly in Little Cup.

Clam Thingy of Doom
    Clampearl @ DeepSeaTooth
    Trait: Rattled
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk /4 SDef
    Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power Fire/Electric/Grass/Ground
    - Shell Smash

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

WILL YOU CLAM UP!?
    Clamperl@DeepSeaTooth/Eviolite
    Timid nature
    Rattled
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Surf
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Hidden Power (Electric)

Clamperl is rather average, even with its exclusive items, but Shell Smash helps with that somewhat. Between DeepSeaTooth and Shell Smash, Clamperl achieves a whopping 741 Special Attack, and a passable (yet far from horrible) 358 Speed in one turn. From there it can proceed to sweep with its exceptionally limited movepool that make its evolutions seem like Mew in comparison. Surf is for STAB, Ice Beam and HP Electric for a pseudo-BoltBeam combo.

Item is up to you. DeepSeaTooth is preferred as it boosts Clamperl's Special Attack even further, and is one of the few reasons to use it, but Focus Sash gives it better chances of surviving the setup turn. Ability is preferred, as anything that can help Clamperl's Speed is a good thing.

Hell In A Shell
    Clamperl@Eviolite
    Calm nature
    Shell Armor
    252 HP/252 Sp. Def/4 Def
    ~Scald
    ~Aqua Ring
    ~Refresh
    ~Protect

Let me get this out of the way right now. DeepSeaScale is a good item, but as it does nothing for Clamperl's Special Defense, I consider it worthless for this set. Now then, this is Clamperl's best shot at going defensive. Scald is for burns and to prevent Clamperl from becoming Taunt bait. Aqua Ring compensates for the lack of Leftovers. Refresh handles any status your opponent throws at Clamperl, and Protect helps speed up Aqua Ring recovery.

Item boosts Clamperl's defenses. Ability stops critical hits from screwing Clamperl over.

Other options:
    *Clamperl can attempt a physical Shell Smash set, but not with much success. The extent of its physical movepool is Return and Waterfall.
    *Icy Wind helps with the Speed issue, I guess.

Abilities:
    *Shell Armor: Moves cannot score critical hits on Clamperl. A useful ability for defensive variants.
    *Rattled: Clamperl's Hidden Ability. Ups Clamperl's Speed if it's hit by a Ghost, Dark, or Bug move. Highly situational, but can see use on the Shell Smash set, as anything that can boost Clamperl's Speed is a good thing.

Partners:
    As with many NFEs, Clamperl needs quite a bit of support behind it. BPing a Substitute, Wish support, dual screens, the whole nine.

Counters:
    Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn, just to name a few hard counters for Clamperl. The first two wall the poor clam to hell and back; Ferrothorn can take anything Clamperl throws at it and KO back with Power Whip. Maybe not OHKO, but it won't be far off.

Opinion:
    Clamperl is kinda meh. Gotta love those exclusive items, but they can only get it so far...

Weezing

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

Since Huntail was tacked on I might as well write a post for him, too. Huntail has identical stats to Gorebyss except for Attack and Sp. Attack. It's movepool is also more physically oriented. Therefore, for the most part Huntail can play many of the roles Gorebyss can. Huntail's higher Attack stat leans more towards the physical side of things, but its Sp. Attack is still pretty good, allowing for mixed sets to be viable.

Swift Swim was covered on my Gorebyss post. I won't explain it again on the same thread.
    Water Veil prevents burns. It's not as good as Gorebyss' Hydration, but it provides insurance against Will-O-Wisp and Scald, which is cool for a physically oriented Pokemon like Huntail.

Waterfall or Aqua Tail make good physical STAB. Ice Fang, while not as powerful as Ice Beam, gives some great coverage. Crunch is filler. Super Fang is a neat tutor move, and I saw a set in another post involving a combination of Super Fang and Brine. Pretty much everything else Huntail gets is shared by Gorebyss.

Countering Huntail: As Huntail's stats are very similar to Gorebyss', refer to the Gorebyss strategy for tips. Watch out for mixed sets, though; Huntail can pull those off much better than Gorebyss.

I'm surprised to see that the OU set for Gorebyss hasn't come up yet (I may have overlooked). This is the most common set and Gorebyss' best, IMO.

Gorebyss is one of three Pokemon who can pass a Shell Smash boost to another team member, blessing the recipient with +2 boosts in Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. However, it does have a few flaws, such as low HP, poor Special Defense, and a heavy reliance on White Herb. Nevertheless, Gorebyss is a surprising threat that every team should be prepared for.

SmashPass

Gorebyss (F) @White Herb
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf
    - Substitute / Ice Beam

PLAYING WITH GOREBYSS: Ideally, Gorebyss should be brought in against a Pokémon who can barely threaten her, such as a Pokémon locked into a resisted attack. From there, Gorebyss should use Shell Smash, and depending on the situation, use Baton Pass or attack directly. Surf is a powerful and reliable STAB move. Ice Beam nails any Grass- or Dragon-type Pokemon who happen to switch in. Ice Beam also allows Gorebyss to deal with phazers such as Roar Latias and Dragon Tail Gyarados. Alternatively, you may want to use Substitute, which is there to be passed on to the recipient as a bonus.

EV SPREAD: After a boost, 232 Speed EVs allow Gorebyss to outspeed base 130 Pokemon, such as Jolteon and Aerodactyl, even with a positive nature. Maximum HP and 24 Special Defense EVs allow Gorebyss to take hits better, especially as it has a nice base Defense stat. White Herb is a must-have item, as it negates both defense drops caused by Shell Smash.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS: For the fourth slot, if Substitute or Ice Beam is not required, Gorebyss may wish to run Hidden Power Grass or Fire in order to defeat some common checks and counters. Hidden Power Grass ensures that Water-type Pokemon do not wall Gorebyss, and Hidden Power Fire demolishes Ferrothorn and Abomasnow, two common switch-ins.

TEAMMATES: Dual screens support is appreciated, as it allows Gorebyss and its receiver to take hits easily. Latios has decent defensive synergy with Gorebyss, and can also use Memento, effectively leaving the foe with -6 Attack and Special Attack with screens set up. If offensively-oriented Pokemon are not desirable, some defensive options include Jirachi, Uxie (who, once again, can use Memento to your team's advantage), and Bronzong. It is recommended to have at least two dual screens users on a team with Shell Smash + Baton Pass Gorebyss, as this makes pulling off the risky SmashPass strategy much easier.

The recipient of the boost should not be any random Pokemon. There are certain qualities a Pokemon must possess in order to be a good receiver. First, a good receiver should be able to handle priority moves, either by possessing bulk or by being able to use its own priority attacks (or a combination of both). One example of this is Metagross; its Steel / Psychic typing enables it to shrug off many different types of attacks, and it has great bulk. Metagross can also use Bullet Punch, its own priority attack. Another quality the recipient should have is the ability to destroy common walls, such as Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Skarmory, and Blissey. Both Infernape and Landorus are excellent mixed wallbreakers, and can easily destroy walls after a Shell Smash. On a final note, having recipients hold Lum Berry is a good idea, as many Pokemon will attempt to cripple the recipient with status moves in order to prevent them from sweeping.

Gorebyss loathes priority attacks, even when behind screens. For example, Conkeldurr, running a specially defensive spread, can set up on it as it uses Shell Smash and deal heavy damage with Drain Punch + Mach Punch. A strong special attacker, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus, can easily defeat the aforementioned menace. Pokemon with the ability Prankster, such as Tornadus and Whimsicott, are also problems, as they can Taunt Gorebyss before it sets up or cripple it with status moves. Magic Bounce Espeon and Xatu can easily counter these threats by reflecting their attacks back at them, and on top of that, set up dual screens. Phazers also pose a problem, as they can force Gorebyss out, removing the Shell Smash boost. Calm Mind + Roar Latias, a common phazer, can be brought down by very powerful physical attacks, such as repeated Crunches from Choice Band Tyranitar. RestTalk Gyarados, another common phazer, is easily dented by Electric-type attacks, such as those from Rotom-W.

COUNTERS: Although rain support is not required for any Gorebyss attempting to use Shell Smash for sweeping, removing it makes taking it down much easier. Ninetales can easily switch in and not even flinch with its stellar 100 base Special Defense, not to mention its neutrality to Water-type attacks due to Drought, and threaten Gorebyss with either Energy Ball or SolarBeam. Abomasnow has to be wary of Hidden Power Fire, but it easily can smash Gorebyss with its STAB Wood Hammer. Tyranitar absolutely hates Surf, but can easily prey on Gorebyss's -1 defenses. Hippowdon should avoid switching into Gorebyss altogether, but can come in on a less threatening Pokemon and remove the rain. Note that directly countering Gorebyss is difficult, as most Gorebyss immediately baton pass at the first sign of danger. Pokemon with Prankster can also cripple Gorebyss with their priority status attacks or prevent it from using Shell Smash with Taunt.

Gorebyss is pretty much the face of SmashPass, so if I don't see a SmashPass set on the next POTW, I think I'll throw up. Of course, BH is in charge of it now, so I guess I won't have much to worry about.

Also, don't confuse Huntail for a poor man's Gorebyss. Huntail can run a better mixed Shell Smash set, and it isn't stopped by Pokemon like Jynx at all.

Clamperl also just might be the hardest hitting thing in all of LC, so it should definitely deserve a good mention. Pretty much DeepSeaTooth Shell Smash sweeping. Nothing too complicated.

My two cents, mainly because the good sets (pretty much all Shell Smash sets, lol) have already been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
    I'm surprised to see that the OU set for Gorebyss hasn't come up yet (I may have overlooked). This is the most common set and Gorebyss' best, IMO.

Gorebyss is one of three Pokemon who can pass a Shell Smash boost to another team member, blessing the recipient with +2 boosts in Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. However, it does have a few flaws, such as low HP, poor Special Defense, and a heavy reliance on White Herb. Nevertheless, Gorebyss is a surprising threat that every team should be prepared for.

SmashPass

Gorebyss (F) @White Herb
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf
    - Substitute / Ice Beam

PLAYING WITH GOREBYSS: Ideally, Gorebyss should be brought in against a Pokémon who can barely threaten her, such as a Pokémon locked into a resisted attack. From there, Gorebyss should use Shell Smash, and depending on the situation, use Baton Pass or attack directly. Surf is a powerful and reliable STAB move. Ice Beam nails any Grass- or Dragon-type Pokemon who happen to switch in. Ice Beam also allows Gorebyss to deal with phazers such as Roar Latias and Dragon Tail Gyarados. Alternatively, you may want to use Substitute, which is there to be passed on to the recipient as a bonus.

EV SPREAD: After a boost, 232 Speed EVs allow Gorebyss to outspeed base 130 Pokemon, such as Jolteon and Aerodactyl, even with a positive nature. Maximum HP and 24 Special Defense EVs allow Gorebyss to take hits better, especially as it has a nice base Defense stat. White Herb is a must-have item, as it negates both defense drops caused by Shell Smash.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS: For the fourth slot, if Substitute or Ice Beam is not required, Gorebyss may wish to run Hidden Power Grass or Fire in order to defeat some common checks and counters. Hidden Power Grass ensures that Water-type Pokemon do not wall Gorebyss, and Hidden Power Fire demolishes Ferrothorn and Abomasnow, two common switch-ins.

TEAMMATES: Dual screens support is appreciated, as it allows Gorebyss and its receiver to take hits easily. Latios has decent defensive synergy with Gorebyss, and can also use Memento, effectively leaving the foe with -6 Attack and Special Attack with screens set up. If offensively-oriented Pokemon are not desirable, some defensive options include Jirachi, Uxie (who, once again, can use Memento to your team's advantage), and Bronzong. It is recommended to have at least two dual screens users on a team with Shell Smash + Baton Pass Gorebyss, as this makes pulling off the risky SmashPass strategy much easier.

The recipient of the boost should not be any random Pokemon. There are certain qualities a Pokemon must possess in order to be a good receiver. First, a good receiver should be able to handle priority moves, either by possessing bulk or by being able to use its own priority attacks (or a combination of both). One example of this is Metagross; its Steel / Psychic typing enables it to shrug off many different types of attacks, and it has great bulk. Metagross can also use Bullet Punch, its own priority attack. Another quality the recipient should have is the ability to destroy common walls, such as Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Skarmory, and Blissey. Both Infernape and Landorus are excellent mixed wallbreakers, and can easily destroy walls after a Shell Smash. On a final note, having recipients hold Lum Berry is a good idea, as many Pokemon will attempt to cripple the recipient with status moves in order to prevent them from sweeping.

Gorebyss loathes priority attacks, even when behind screens. For example, Conkeldurr, running a specially defensive spread, can set up on it as it uses Shell Smash and deal heavy damage with Drain Punch + Mach Punch. A strong special attacker, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus, can easily defeat the aforementioned menace. Pokemon with the ability Prankster, such as Tornadus and Whimsicott, are also problems, as they can Taunt Gorebyss before it sets up or cripple it with status moves. Magic Bounce Espeon and Xatu can easily counter these threats by reflecting their attacks back at them, and on top of that, set up dual screens. Phazers also pose a problem, as they can force Gorebyss out, removing the Shell Smash boost. Calm Mind + Roar Latias, a common phazer, can be brought down by very powerful physical attacks, such as repeated Crunches from Choice Band Tyranitar. RestTalk Gyarados, another common phazer, is easily dented by Electric-type attacks, such as those from Rotom-W.

COUNTERS: Although rain support is not required for any Gorebyss attempting to use Shell Smash for sweeping, removing it makes taking it down much easier. Ninetales can easily switch in and not even flinch with its stellar 100 base Special Defense, not to mention its neutrality to Water-type attacks due to Drought, and threaten Gorebyss with either Energy Ball or SolarBeam. Abomasnow has to be wary of Hidden Power Fire, but it easily can smash Gorebyss with its STAB Wood Hammer. Tyranitar absolutely hates Surf, but can easily prey on Gorebyss's -1 defenses. Hippowdon should avoid switching into Gorebyss altogether, but can come in on a less threatening Pokemon and remove the rain. Note that directly countering Gorebyss is difficult, as most Gorebyss immediately baton pass at the first sign of danger. Pokemon with Prankster can also cripple Gorebyss with their priority status attacks or prevent it from using Shell Smash with Taunt.
    lol.. CPed from Smogon

Huntail@white herb
    Tonight you'll be sleeping with the fishes
    Trait: Water veil
    Naive
    252 Atk/252 Spd/ 4 Hp
    -Shell smash
    -crunch
    -waterfall
    -Ice beam

Standard Shell smash sweeper really. Huntail's best friends are dual screeners, entry hazards and Status spreaders, most notably Sleep and burn. Possible teammates to consider would be Dual screens contrary Snivy with glare, Uxie, or subpunch Breloom. Can be a great asset to a Drizzle team if played correctly.
    Credits:Magicmochi

Credits:Pkmnfn

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    lol.. CPed from Smogon
    If they're going to do that, they may as well give credit.
    Hell In A Shell
    Clamperl@Eviolite
    Calm nature
    Shell Armor
    252 HP/252 Sp. Def/4 Def
    ~Scald
    ~Aqua Ring
    ~Refresh
    ~Protect

Let me get this out of the way right now. DeepSeaScale is a good item, but as it does nothing for Clamperl's Special Defense, I consider it worthless for this set. Now then, this is Clamperl's best shot at going defensive. Scald is for burns and to prevent Clamperl from becoming Taunt bait. Aqua Ring compensates for the lack of Leftovers. Refresh handles any status your opponent throws at Clamperl, and Protect helps speed up Aqua Ring recovery.

Item boosts Clamperl's defenses. Ability stops critical hits from screwing Clamperl over.
    35 HP. 55 special defense. I'm sorry, but as a wall, it sucks. I'd rather use a Corsola.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 50 Points
    I need to finish Bravely Default, Mega Man 2, my Pokemon Emerald Nuzloche, and the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I want to do all of this by October 3rd.
    Since when did playing video require so much schedule management?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    no point to protect in a sleep talk set
    clampearl want's eviolite most of the time
    So how about this?

Stall Clamperl 2.0
    Eviolite
    Calm
    164 HP/192 Def/252 Sp. Def
    Rest
    Ice Beam
    Sleep Talk
    Surf

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post

SmashPass

Gorebyss (F) @White Herb
    - Shell Smash
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf
    - Substitute / Ice Beam

EDIT: I collaborated on Smogon way back to get the write-up on the site, so I copy/pasted right onto the page. I should have mentioned that i copy/pasted- my bad.

Attila the Huntail
    Life Orb / White Herb
    Naive / Naughty
    252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Shell Smash
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Ice Beam / Hydro Pump

Since Huntail's options are very limited due to its small movepool, and because Gorebyss and Carracosta are better on both offensive sides, a mixed Shell Smash set is the best way to use it offensively. After a Shell Smash, neutral-speed natured Huntail outruns just about every unboosted threat in NU except Electrode. With the mentioned attacks, Huntail also has great coverage.

Between a boosted Crunch and STAB Waterfall, not much in NU will live to tell the tale, except for dedicated walls. Most physical walls are taken care of by Huntail's special move. The choice between Ice Beam and Hydro Pump depends on which targets are more important to KO for your team; Ice Beam allows you to easily beat bulky Grass-types, while Hydro Pump gets STAB and wrecks most physical walls.

Because of Huntail's low base Speed and need for power, its Speed and Attack are maxed to (attempt to) prevent revenge killing and for the most power possible. Naive nature lets Huntail to outrun all pokemon up to +1 positive-natured base 85s, Naughty boosts Attack while keeping some Speed. Life Orb is best when using Naive, since the boost helps with the loss in power. White Herb is recommended with the Naughty nature. Water Veil is recommended over Swift Swim because of the former's more useful effect, but either is usable.

Classic Clampearl

Clampearl@Deepseatooth
    Quiet Nature
    -Surf/Scald
    -Brine
    -Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power [Grass/Electric]

Because with 32 base speed, using trick room is safer. Because of 32/85/55 bulkiness, giving it eviolite to make it bulky wouldn't work.

Now, for the EV spreads. For starters, max out Sp.Att on this. After that, Att is useless ans Speed conflicts with Trick Room, so spread the remaining EV to HP, then Def/Sp.Def. That is all it can do, and that is what Clampearl needed.

Surf is for basic damage, but scale may burn. Brine is here since it can outdamage surf when the victim's at half HP. And it's the only other option clamperl has other than the final two, Blizzard, Round and all the other useless status or water moves that are weaker. Round deserves a mention, though when it comes to double/triple battles. If used together with your partner, you'll just have to rely on each other's speed. Just imagine without trick room, what a 120 power from a deepseatooth clampearl could do, when it is the second to attack!

Anyway, back to the last 2 moveslots. They are for coverage purposes. For HP, I'll recommend grass in LC as with electric, it'll be walled by volt absorb chinchou.
    Last edited by pikadon92; 27th February 2012 at 1:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smugleaf-pwns-all View Post
    Attila the Huntail
    Life Orb / White Herb
    Naive / Naughty
    252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Shell Smash
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Ice Beam / Hydro Pump
    I like that set's name.
    Stall Clamperl 2.0
    Eviolite
    Calm
    164 HP/192 Def/252 Sp. Def
    Rest
    Ice Beam
    Sleep Talk
    Surf
    I vote that we drop the idea of defensive Clampearl all together. It's defense is good enough for an eviolite user, but it's HP and special defense suck. And I mean they suck.
    I need to finish Bravely Default, Mega Man 2, my Pokemon Emerald Nuzloche, and the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I want to do all of this by October 3rd.

Eviolite or Deepseatooth Clamperl work just like Offensive Lugia.. sure it does it.. but why not use something else.

Just checked out the speed tiers. +2 max speed Clamperl would be able to outspeed Tornadus and anything slower. It would still be outsped by Starmie, Alakazam, Dugtrio, and Jolteon, along with almost every choice scarfer, so if you use it, you'd better watch out for those.

Agreed. Don't use Clamperl outside of LC. I'm pretty sure Huntail and Gorebyss are NU. Clamperl is THE hardest hitting pokemon on LC. Like I said before, +6 with one Shell Smash is amazing.

Huntail

Overview
    Huntail is one of those really sleek looking Pokemon to come out with the advent of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. It's commonly seen hanging around the NeverUsed tier, and for good reason.

Typing and Stats
    Huntail sports a pure-Water typing, which all-in-all, isn't all that bad, although it holds a large weakness to some fairly common Pokemon in OU, UU, and RU namely Rotom, Roserade, Ferrothorn, Sceptile, and Zapdos, which could be the explanation as to why it didn't hit one of the higher tiers. It's stats aren't to terribly bad, sporting 55/104/105/94/75/52 for stats. Hits hard, can take hits, but isn't very fast. These disappointing Speed and HP stats may be the direct reason as to why Huntail doesn't see very much usage in the higher tiers.

Abilities
    Swift Swim - Huntail's standard ability, and is fairly useless outside of Ubers, unless you bump into a Rain Dance team or if you run one in either NU or RU. Doubles Huntail's speed in Rain, adding to it's offensive prowess.
    Water Veil - Huntail's hidden ability, and an ability that arguably carries more use for Huntail, preventing stray burns from shutting it down from attacking with it's physically attacking moves. It has been released and is available for use.

Movepool
    Outside of the multitude of Water-Type attacks, Huntail does not have much going for it. It gets Crunch, Ice Fang, Return/Frustration, and Body Slam for useful physical coverage moves, while the Special side of the spectrum scores Ice Beam and Blizzard. It also gets the superb boosting move in Shell Smash from Clamperl, but if one decides to use this move, and you always should, you lose out on the useful Generation IV tutor moves available to Huntail (Bounce and Sucker Punch). It's not much of a loss regardless. This scarily shallow movepool also lacks any viable form of HP Recovery outside of Aqua Ring, Rest, and Refresh, but neither of which aren't much of recovery moves to begin with, one stopping status, the other slowly curing HP, and one immobilizing Huntail while curing both status and HP. It gets Substitute too, which allows it to set up easier.

Movesets

Mixed Menace (NU / RU / UU / OU)

Huntail | White Herb/Life Orb
    Water Veil / Swift Swim | Naughty / Naive Nature
    252 Atk | 4 SpA | 252 Spe
    Shell Smash | Waterfall / Aqua Tail | Crunch | Ice Beam

Designed to quickly set up without the fear of a Burn, and just bust through teams. Because Huntail is very limited option-wise for moves, and generally outclassed by his sister Gorebyss and Carracosta, it's recommended that the deep-sea fish stick to the NU or RU tiers. The premise to this set is simple; get a Shell Smash up, and bust through as much of a team as possible. Between a boosted Crunch and STAB Waterfall, little besides dedicated walls are able to resist, let alone survive, this combination of attacks. Most physical walls and other defensive Pokemon, Grass-types in particular, are taken care of by Huntail's chosen special move. The choice between Ice Beam and Hydro Pump depends on which targets are more important to KO for your team; Ice Beam allows you to decimate Tangela and other physically bulky Grass-types, while Hydro Pump gets STAB and wrecks most physical walls.

If running Huntail in OU for some godforsaken reason, run Swift Swim on it to nab a handy boost from the occasional Drizzle team. But don't use Huntail in OU. Seriously. It's just horrible.

I'll probably add on a Gorebyss and Clamperl section too.

Mixed Smasher

Huntail @ White Herb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Ev's: 252 Spe / 56 Atk / 200 SAtk
    Nature: Hasty
    Moves:
    ~ Shell Smash
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Ice Beam

Even with its Attack stat higher than its Special Attack, it can still go with a specially based mixed. Smash, then start sweeping.
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/10ws194.gif[/IMG]

PO name: [TEG]Pika ruler
    PS name: Pika ruler

Spoiler:- Credit:

It's gimmicky, but I've had limited success using Clamperl in a Rain/Trick Room team.

The Little Clam That Could!

Clamperl@DeepSeaTooth
    Trait: Shell Armor
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
    Nature: Quiet (+SpA,-Spd)
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power [Electric/Grass]
    -Protect

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

Spoiler:- Contact Info:

GOREBYSS

Poor bulk and speed but good SpAtk and good movepool.

Abilities:
    Swift Swim- doubles speed in rain
    Hydration- cure status in rain

Baton Pass
    @Left-overs
    Hydration / Swift Swim
    Timid 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SpDef

- Baton Pass
    - Aqua Ring / Substitute
    - Agility / Barrier / Shell Smash / Amnesia
    - Hydro Pump

Choice
    @Choice Specs / Scarf
    Swift Swim / Hydration
    Modest / Timid 252 Spd / 252 SpAtk / 4 HP

- Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam / Blizzard
    - HP [Fire / Grass]
    - Psychic / Signal Beam

HUNTAIL

Poor Bulk and Speed but has good ATK and fair movepool.

Swift Swim - self explained
    Water Veil - prevent burn

Offensive
    @Life-orb
    Water Veil / Swift Swim
    Adamant / Jolly [ 252 Atk / 148 Spd / 108 HP ]

- Ice Fangs
    - Waterfall / Aqua Tail
    - Return / Schreech
    - Crunch

CLAMPERL

Ability: