Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of... Thread

Default Tales of... Thread

I saw how people were talking about Tales of the Abyss in the 3DS thread, so there's probably enough to go on for a full length discussion.

Anyway, I finally got my copy of ToTA(Along with a nice letter from the shipper) in the mail yesterday, and got to the first town. Overall, I'm liking what I see so far, but I know I have a really long way to go.
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by King World View Post
    I take full credit for this idea.
    Liar!

It'll be good to move all of our discussion here, since there's a few of us who are all playing through Abyss right now.

I'm likewise enjoying Abyss so far. The characters are all really interesting, I've missed the interesting conversations that come up in Tales games.
    Last edited by Hydrohs; 28th February 2012 at 3:27 PM.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

I currently own 3 tales of games, Symphonia, Abyss, Phantasia, I am also planing to get all of the tales game ever released.

I kinda have to say that I love the Tales of Series.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    I currently own 3 tales of games, Symphonia, Abyss, Phantasia, I am also planing to get all of the tales game ever released.

I kinda have to say that I love the Tales of Series.
    Symphonia is my favourite game, I only ever borrowed it from a friend though. For the past few years I've been trying to find one that's reasonably priced, but I doubt that'll happen.

I need to learn Japanese at some point too in order to play the games that were never localized.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Symphonia is my favourite game, I only ever borrowed it from a friend though. For the past few years I've been trying to find one that's reasonably priced, but I doubt that'll happen.
    I actually luck out when I got my copy of Tales of Symphonia. I found it pre-owned in my game store, of course it didn't have a instructions manual in it and I was also temped to take it back, good thing I didn't.

At the time I didn't know just how rare the Tales of games was.

I need to learn Japanese at some point too in order to play the games that were never localized.
    I have been planning to do that as well.

And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

^ Best post ever.

I'm not even sure if I'll enjoy Symphonia. I'm way to use to free run. I demand a 3DS port with added free run, I mean everyone else in your party could do it. I'm sick of the DLC costumes but that's a whole different story.

Oh, and Yuri is clearly the bet main character.

Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    I'm not even sure if I'll enjoy Symphonia. I'm way to use to free run. I demand a 3DS port with added free run, I mean everyone else in your party could do it. I'm sick of the DLC costumes but that's a whole different story.

Oh, and Yuri is clearly the bet main character.
    I barely use Free Run, it's not that big a deal. There's never a real need for it.

I barely use Free Run, it's not that big a deal. There's never a real need for it.
    There is when there's chaos with magic artes exploding everywhere.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Need - Complete!

Quote Originally Posted by wiiboychris View Post
    There is when there's chaos with magic artes exploding everywhere.
    Just get stronger. I try to always overlevel in JRPGs.

They owe us because Dawn of the New World was utter ****.
    Thank you.
    Tried it. Almost snaped my 3DS in half.
    I snapped my DS Lite in half. Hope you feel better
    Quote Originally Posted by arceus7 View Post
    Knight of Ratatosk wasn't that bad Para ...
    I'll admit, it was my first trip into the Tales series which I picked up since my friends were hyped about it (and eventually more disappointed than me) and I adored my first two playthroughs. My friend nagged me enough to buy to original off eBay (for a nice $30, shipping included) and I have to say, bar the Free Run system and the usefulness of befriendable monsters (which don't equate to much), the original blows the spin-off out of the water by a lot in every other aspect. Also, Lloyd looked like a star in the spin-off.

Love this RPG series, still haven't beat Abyss yet (and still prefer Symphonia to it). What's with me fighting with the black haired girl cloaked in purple in both titles?
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 28th February 2012 at 7:34 PM.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Thank you.I snapped my DS Lite in half. Hope you feel betterI'll admit, it was my first trip into the Tales series which I picked up since my friends were hyped about it (and eventually more disappointed than me) and I adored my first two playthroughs. My friend nagged me enough to buy to original off eBay (for a nice $30, shipping included) and I have to say, bar the Free Run system and the usefulness of befriendable monsters (which don't equate to much), the original blows the spin-off out of the water by a lot in every other aspect. Also, Loydd looked like a star in the spin-off.
    I hated having monsters as party members, it doesn't compare to real characters at all.

I just wanted Regal and Raine back ;-;

I hated a lot of DotNW, most notably that they couldn't get Lloyd's voice actor back (I wont blame that on the devs though, I'm not sure if his VA refused or they didn't try), monster party members and that Lloyd never stood up for himself. None of it felt right to me.

Or when the Demon Angel she ***** ffom hell goes terminator on your ***.

I hated having monsters as party members, it doesn't compare to real characters at all.
    Agreed but they could learn spells and level up. That and the fact that Pokemon is my favourite RPG series of all time. In all other cases, I agree with you, it's not suitable for the Tales series at all.
    I just wanted Regal and Raine back ;-;
    Me and my friend didn't mind Raine's new actress that much and found she put on a stronger performance than her voice actress in the original but opinions are opinions and the new cast overall can't compete to the old cast. If I ever see Crispin Freeman at an anime convention, I'll ask him...even though Symphonia is from a while back. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. You think Tara Strong would ever be at a convention? Then again, with My Little Pony's popularity in mind, it's inevitable. "Sign Tales of Symphonia and Kid Icarus Uprising, please."
    I hated a lot of DotNW, most notably that they couldn't get Lloyd's voice actor back (I wont blame that on the devs though, I'm not sure if his VA refused or they didn't try), monster party members and that Lloyd never stood up for himself. None of it felt right to me.
    I don't know either. Oh well, did you know they sort of brought back Teen Titans?

As for convincing me to buy other systems for the other titles in the Tales series, I only see the need to buy Nintendo systems since there are so many more games exclusive to their systems that catch my attention and/or appeal to me compared to the exclusives of other systems. When I say so many more, I mean a ratio of about 5:1.

Speaking of Tales, and my 3rd favourite anime...    Spoiler:- extra costumes in Vesperia PS3:
        Spoiler:- another game that uses Tales' battle system that won't get shipped over to North America:

Me and my friend didn't mind Raine's new actress that much and found she put on a stronger performance than her voice actress in the original but opinions are opinions and the new cast overall can't compete to the old cast.]
    The other VAs who changed did a good job replicating the voices from the original, it's really hard to tell (You'd probably be able to if you heard them side by side but having not played Symphonia for a couple years I couldn't tell the difference.), but Lloyd's is quite different.
    Last edited by Hydrohs; 28th February 2012 at 7:48 PM.

Never played a single game in this series. I'm hoping TotA will be my first, if I find a damn copy.
    I claim Larvitar!

The other VAs who changed did a good job replicating the voices from the original, it's really hard to tell (You'd probably be able to if you heard them side by side but having not played Symphonia for a couple years I couldn't tell the difference.), but Lloyd's is quite different.
    I could tell that they were different first time. Apparently Troy Baker apologized for replacing Crispin Freeman.

Enough negativity, back to positive Tales talk! Which I don't have much to say about Abyss since I'm not even halfway done. Time for some Tales of the Abyss...after I get that 3 Star rank in Mario Kart 7, stupid Rainbow Road!

Who does everyone use in Abyss for their team? I've been sticking with Luke, Guy, Jade and Tear. However I'm not sure if Natalia would make a better Healer. I just got to a point where I temporarily don't have Tear, so I'm going to be giving Natalia a shot.

I play as Anise with Jade, Luke, and Tear as my back up.

Except for some iffy voice acting and chessy short story there is nothing wrong with DotNW. Actually, the only thing wrong with it are the people who were expecting it to be better than the first game game(understandable). That being said, as far as the battle system goes, it was one of the best, it's based of Abyss battle system and runs more fluid. Also the real time motion capture for cutscenes are a big plus and the remixed music is also good. Lack of a World Map and and reused towns and dungeons kinda brings it down along with the short story(by Tales standards). All that being said, you can look past the first game this is a very solid jrpg. I wouldn't of minded some more original playble characters or aleast Richter(who is better than Kratos. Come at me.) instead of the nerfed Symphonia cast.

Anise is way too annoying a character for me to pay any attention to. Luke is still incredibly annoying too, I'm hoping he has his moment real soon.

As it stands Guy and Jade are my favourite characters.

Actually, the only thing wrong with it are the people who were expecting it to be better than the first game game(understandable).
    If I hadn't of played Symphonia I'm sure I would have enjoyed it.

Richter(who is better than Kratos. Come at me.)
    JUDGEMENT!

Speaking of Kratos, I've been keeping up with the Symphonia OVA and as it turns out (SPOILER WARNING FOR A 9 YEAR OLD GAME) Zelos betraying you is the canonical path.
    Last edited by Hydrohs; 28th February 2012 at 8:03 PM.

Except for some iffy voice acting and chessy short story there is nothing wrong with DotNW. Actually, the only thing wrong with it are the people who were expecting it to be better than the first game game(understandable). That being said, as far as the battle system goes, it was one of the best, it's based of Abyss battle system and runs more fluid. Also the real time motion capture for cutscenes are a big plus and the remixed music is also good. Lack of a World Map and and reused towns and dungeons kinda brings it down along with the short story(by Tales standards). All that being said, you can look past the first game this is a very solid jrpg. I wouldn't of minded some more original playble characters or aleast Richter(who is better than Kratos. Come at me.) instead of the nerfed Symphonia cast.
    I just sort of said that! Who cares about Kratos? RichterXXXEmil yaoi fan art for all!
    Anise is way too annoying a character for me to pay any attention to. Luke is still incredibly annoying too, I'm hoping he has his moment real soon.
    I know, my friends wouldn't stop complaining about this but that's why I love these characters. Luke is a jerk whose arrogance makes me laugh. Anise is a cute girl whose childishness makes me giggle.
    As it stands Guy and Jade are my favourite characters.
    It's weird, in both Symphonia and Abyss, I play as my favourite characters in battle and am good with them. Finally, Sheena's not always dying because I'm kicking arse as her!
    Speaking of Kratos, I've been keeping up with the Symphonia OVA and as it turns out (SPOILER WARNING FOR A 9 YEAR OLD GAME) Zelos betraying you is the canonical path.
    Still need to finish the Symphonia OVA...after Tekkaman Blade....and Medabots. I'll also try the Abyss anime once I finish the game. I find it hilarious that the anime is being advertised on the back of the instruction manual.
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 28th February 2012 at 8:19 PM.

I know, my friends wouldn't stop complaining about this but that's why I love these characters. Luke is a jerk whose arrogance makes me laugh. Anise is a cute girl whose childishness makes me giggle.
    They just make me cringe.
    Still need to finish the Symphonia OVA...after Tekkaman Blade....and Medabots. I'll also try the Abyss anime once I finish the game. I find it hilarious that the anime is being advertised on the back of the instruction manual.
    The Symphonia anime is only eleven total episodes, only 9 have been released. It wouldn't take long. I highly reccomend watching the DVD/Bluray bonuses though. They're all about 6 minutes long but they're absolutely hilarious.

Also you misquoted me as jb in your post.

They just make me cringe.
    Opinions that I can understand but don't mind.
    The Symphonia anime is only eleven total episodes, only 9 have been released. It wouldn't take long. I highly reccomend watching the DVD/Bluray bonuses though. They're all about 6 minutes long but they're absolutely hilarious.
    Still not done? As for the omake bonuses, I'll be sure to search for them as we all know, majority of omake with have you laughing hysterically.
    Also you misquoted me as jb in your post.
    Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitarquake View Post
    Never played a single game in this series. I'm hoping TotA will be my first, if I find a damn copy.
    Where do you live? Because if you live in the UK you will have a hard time finding it since Namco shipped the game in small bulk and the hoarder grab the game and sell it back at high prices.

Also don't bother looking in the retail as they won't stock the game or sell it over priced.

As right now Play.com is selling a copy for Ł34.99.

^ Best post ever.

TotA was the first time I ever touched the series when I got it for 3DS the other week and it's easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I definitely need to get in to this series now, but because of the systems I have my only options are Symphonia and Vesperia.

Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast