Page 38 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of... Thread

Okay, so I finally got my hands on Tales of Symphonia. One thing I wasn't expecting was the way the characters look. It's... a bit off-putting really. I was expecting the characters to look more like in Abyss, but here they look... chibi? cartoony? I can't describe it. I just hope I get used to it eventually. Did anyone else feel this way when they played it at first?
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    Okay, so I finally got my hands on Tales of Symphonia. One thing I wasn't expecting was the way the characters look. It's... a bit off-putting really. I was expecting the characters to look more like in Abyss, but here they look... chibi? cartoony? I can't describe it. I just hope I get used to it eventually. Did anyone else feel this way when they played it at first?
    A little bit but it quickly grows on you.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    A little bit but it quickly grows on you.
    Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. Are any other Tales game like this?

Tales of Legendia is kinda like it. After that, the character are better proportionated

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Tales of Legendia is kinda like it. After that, the character are better proportionated
    Good to know, thanks. Speaking of Legendia, anyone got any opinions on that game? I don't hear a lot of praise for it, but is it still worth playing?

It's good for music and story alone. It only beats Destiny (PS1) in the battle system though so if you can get through that...

I don't think it detracts from the game at all, it's a very memorable style. Dawn of the New World uses basically the same style.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    I don't think it detracts from the game at all, it's a very memorable style. Dawn of the New World uses basically the same style.
    Except DotNW looks very lifeless and colorless.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Considering all the flaws it had, the way it looked was honestly the least of DotNW's problems.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Did it? It was pretty well as colourful as Symphonia, since most of the areas were just recycled.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

i didnt mind tales of Symphonia graphics i liked it. sure its cartoony but its old! haha abyss came years after it :P

Good to know, thanks. Speaking of Legendia, anyone got any opinions on that game? I don't hear a lot of praise for it, but is it still worth playing?
    i liked legendias story but the battle system was meh to me
    and if u didnt like tales of symphonia characters the character in legendia are super chibi haha
    Last edited by wingzx; 7th May 2013 at 4:16 AM.

Tales of Symphonia came out in 2004 and was a cel shaded style, same with it's spin off/sequeal. If you played a mothership game before Symphonia like Vesperia/Graces/Xillia, then you really should have started with a Tales game before they shipped to the PS3/360.
    Last edited by Hero of Ideals; 7th May 2013 at 3:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post
    Tales of Symphonia came out in 2004 and was a cel shaded style, same with it's spin off/sequeal. If you played a mothership game before Symphonia like Vesperia/Graces/Xillia, then you really should have started with a Tales game before they shipped to the PS3/360.
    I think most people can look past the graphics, after all Tales games are really about the characters and story. Or even the battle system.

I think most people can look past the graphics, after all Tales games are really about the characters and story. Or even the battle system.
    That's true, besides I'm not a graphics ***** myself and I want to be a video game desinger.

Speaking of *****s (bad cutaway), my brother in law and me made it to chapter six. We're still low level with crappy monster because my brother in law thinks he knows what he is doing. Level 34 and we don't even have the best monsters or weapons.

That's true, besides I'm not a graphics ***** myself and I want to be a video game desinger.

Speaking of *****s (bad cutaway), my brother in law and me made it to chapter six. We're still low level with crappy monster because my brother in law thinks he knows what he is doing. Level 34 and we don't even have the best monsters or weapons.
    I didn't bother much with monsters until late game, when most of the areas are open to you.

i agree Tales of Phantasia looks meh but is a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    i agree Tales of Phantasia looks meh but is a great game.
    I felt similarly about Eternia, the hand drawn stuff was really nice. But the graphical difficulties of working with all flat, hand drawn art was apparent very quickly.

I felt similarly about Eternia, the hand drawn stuff was really nice. But the graphical difficulties of working with all flat, hand drawn art was apparent very quickly.
    i have yet to play eternia i was going to play it when i beat destiny :P speaking of destiny, great game~

Yeah, ToS2 doesn't exactly give you much room to level up, with no world map and all.

i have yet to play eternia i was going to play it when i beat destiny :P speaking of destiny, great game~
    It's great, you just might find yourself getting stuck on the environment a lot.

It's great, you just might find yourself getting stuck on the environment a lot.
    wat do u mean stuck? also is the combat system the same as like destiny/Phantasia or is it better? just wondering

wat do u mean stuck? also is the combat system the same as like destiny/Phantasia or is it better? just wondering
    The movement grid only uses squares, so if you try to move along the edge of something circular, it just wont work. You'll get stuck in an open space and have to readjust your course. Minor annoyance. It can also be hard to tell the difference between the background and something you need to interact with. As for the battle system, I've only played a bit of Phantasia on GBA, and as far as I know it's identical.

The movement grid only uses squares, so if you try to move along the edge of something circular, it just wont work. You'll get stuck in an open space and have to readjust your course. Minor annoyance. It can also be hard to tell the difference between the background and something you need to interact with. As for the battle system, I've only played a bit of Phantasia on GBA, and as far as I know it's identical.
    ah that does seem annoying nothing big tho :P

ah that does seem annoying nothing big tho :P
    Yeah it's not really that big a deal.

Yeah it's not really that big a deal.
    im about to start replaying Tales of Symphonia and 100% it but it takes 3 playthroughs just to get everyones swim suit costume >.> so ill probably play that while i play symphonia

Page 38 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast