View Poll Results: Did you like the 4kids dub?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it!

11 68.75%
  • It was ok, but I don't really miss it.

5 31.25%
  • Hated it!

0 0%
  • Never watched it.

0 0%

Thread: 4kids

Default 4kids

Did you like their dub of Pokemon?

Personally, I did. This was the dub that I grew up with, IMO I loved their voices even though their lines were cheesy. The new dubbers try to sound like the old voices, but they're not really the same. And they're still kind of cheesy. I also gotta admit the music was way better and catchier haha.

Even though I don't like 4kids that much because of how they handled One Piece, I thought they did an alright job for Pokemon. Pokemon was really a kids show, while One Piece is more of a young adults-teen show, but they treated like it was for little kids. Well they are called 4kids I guess but that's why they should have never gotten One Piece in the first place. Now I'm rambling. How did you like the 4kids dub?
    Fc: 5027 9186 9288

hello

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a very well done dub. The music, the dialogue, the voices, the jokes, the emotion. Everything felt right to me.

Advanced had best themes and voices to me. 4Kids did a pretty good job.

4KIDS may not have been a very good dubbing company, but we have to give credit where it's due. For what it was, even with the problems, they did fine with Pokémon. It's not their best dub, but they were key to helping make Pokémon popular here in the States--for that, I have to respect them in playing a huge role in our childhoods. I'm not that sad that they're (sorta) gone, but I was sad when the voice actors we came to love were replaced right before 4KIDS sold the rights to TPCI. But of course, I think that if they were going to sell the rights anyway, the changes in casting might've still happened, who's to say. Considering Maddie Blaustein ended up passing away right after recording her lines for Meowth in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, we were going to get a voice change whether we were happy with it or not.

Really, if there was something they did right with Pokémon, it was with how the characters were handled (dialogue-wise, anyway). Team Rocket probably had some of the best script moments that weren't present, or very strong in 4KIDS' other works. Though judging from where Team Rocket ended up going in later seasons, who knows if 4KIDS would've saved them as characters.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Though judging from where Team Rocket ended up going in later seasons, who knows if 4KIDS would've saved them as characters.
    If anything, they would have saved TR from the cringe-worthy dialogue they got in DP.

Dear god, I absolutely loved their version of the Pokemon dub! They put so much life and emotion into the show! I know I sound pretty stupid praising 4Kids of all companies, and people will probably want to kill me for this, but their Pokemon dub was a very fun and enjoyable show! I actually don't think it was their best dub, but this was one of their strongest efforts and it is a solid dub. A lot of my love for the Pokemon anime has died down and nearly faded away in recent years since the switch occurred. I think if they still had the dub, I would probably have enjoyed the BF season more at the very least. If anything, I would've had some amount of closure with the series if AG ended with the original dub...it just didn't feel right for the cast to change near the end of AG to me. T_T

I got used to the TPCi dub in BW, but I honestly don't think it's as good as the 4Kids dub (no offense to those who disagree). I admit that TPCi have improved their dub over the years, and I do appreciate their lack of xenophobia and edits, but it just seems to me like they simply aren't as emotionally invested in their dub the way 4Kids was. Some of the actors still seem like they're line reading, like the newer voice for Unova Officer Jenny, and that makes things feel so artificial sometimes. There's also not that many jokes, creativity, or ingenuity in the dub anymore for the most part. I also feel 4Kids' voice actors for the main characters were very well cast, and things haven't been the same since they left to me.

What I've noticed is that what I really seem to miss from 4Kids isn't even their voice cast, so much as much as their script writing/dialogue, and I heavily prefer the way they wrote Team Rocket and Ash's dialogue to TPCi's scripts. I don't know what happened, but since the switch, there have been some incredibly...well, awful...lines given to the characters. I do remember some of the puns in the 4Kids dub made me cringe a bit, sure, but I don't remember lines like "I'm not a noob," "Whoa, she's holding a Pokeball," "Don't get technical," "Pikachu's just about to hit the wall," in Ash's case, or those odd little catchphrases TPCi gives TRio like "Dig it, jack," "lugs," "Primo Pokemon," and the constant alliterations, rhymes, and assonance TRio spout whenever they are not serious in the dub these days. It actually makes me sad, because it seems like James Carter Cathcart was a much better script writer when he worked with Kathy Borland, as opposed to how he does with Z Pang America (ZPA). I also miss their intros: TPCi's have gone better, like their voice acting, but they are still too friendship-centric for my tastes at times. I mean, the themes felt so epic before and most of the intros nowadays don't feel like that to me (I do really like Galactic Battles and Adventures in Unova, though)! xD.

Really, if there was something they did right with Pokémon, it was with how the characters were handled (dialogue-wise, anyway). Team Rocket probably had some of the best script moments that weren't present, or very strong in 4KIDS' other works. Though judging from where Team Rocket ended up going in later seasons, who knows if 4KIDS would've saved them as characters.

Exactly. TRio actually sounded pretty witty and had some funny lines in the 4Kids dub at times: they had their problems, sure, but they were still pretty likeable. I've noticed Ash actually had pretty decent dialogue as well in 4Kids' dub, and I liked how sincere and childlike some of the lines they gave him seemed to make him.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 10th September 2013 at 4:52 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I also miss their intros: TPCi's have gone better, like their voice acting, but they are still too friendship-centric for my tastes at times.
    I don't think TPCi's intros have gotten better at all. The songs for BW were pretty decent but the clips they put into the opening make a lot of it feel very lazy. While some of the songs in DP may have not been the best (Seasons 10 and 13), their openings were at least well put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I don't think TPCi's intros have gotten better at all. The songs for BW were pretty decent but the clips they put into the opening make a lot of it feel very lazy. While some of the songs in DP may have not been the best (Seasons 10 and 13), their openings were at least well put together.
    I can sort of feel you on that. I didn't like Rival Destinies at all myself. The DP intros were definitely put together better in terms of the clips and scenes chosen, though. I feel the BW intros have better songs, though.

Honestly, Season 10's intro still leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. I can't seem to get over that one no matter how much time has passed. xD.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

I can sort of feel you on that. I didn't like Rival Destinies at all myself.
    Personally, I wasn't a fan of the first BW opening with the silhouetted Pokémon with no humans appearing. Season 16 has a great song but when you put their openings next to Japan's opening for BW2, Episode N and DA!, they don't compare at all.

Personally, I wasn't a fan of the first BW opening with the silhouetted Pokémon with no humans appearing. Season 16 has a great song but when you put their openings next to Japan's opening for BW2, Episode N and DA!, they don't compare at all.
    I agree with you. I was a bit put off when all the silhouetted Pokemon we spoiled in the first BW dub intro. Season 16 has an awesome song itself, but the clips chosen for the intros themselves don't compare to Japan's versions.

I agree with you. I was a bit put off when all the silhouetted Pokemon we spoiled in the first BW dub intro. Season 16 has an awesome song itself, but the clips chosen for the intros themselves don't compare to Japan's versions.
    I do agree that the songs from BW are good particularly Season 15 and 16 and way better than Season 10's and Season 13's songs even though I like the songs from Seasons 9, 11, and 12. Another thing 4Kids' did right was definitely their intros. I don't think there's a song or opening from 4Kids' that I didn't like even though I think Season 6 may be the weak link of the 4Kids' openings especially compared to the epicness of the Advanced Adventure opening!

I do agree that the songs from BW are good particularly Season 15 and 16 and way better than Season 10's and Season 13's songs even though I like the songs from Seasons 9, 11, and 12. Another thing 4Kids' did right was definitely their intros. I don't think there's a song or opening from 4Kids' that I didn't like even though I think Season 6 may be the weak link of the 4Kids' openings especially compared to the epicness of the Advanced Adventure opening!
    Season 6 was definitely the weak link in 4Kids' intros: I remember when I was a kid I didn't like it that much, but now I've sort of come to appreciate it and enjoy it for what it was.
    Definitely: Advanced Adventure is epic!

Sinnoh league victors is my favorite intro in terms of how it looks, at least from tpci. It kind of reminds me of the os/johto ones.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    Sinnoh league victors is my favorite intro in terms of how it looks, at least from tpci. It kind of reminds me of the os/johto ones.
    My favorite is probably Galactic Battles of TPCi's DP intros. I don't know why, but it sounds nice and pretty well put together, compared to most of TPCi's other efforts as far as the intros go.

My favorite is probably Galactic Battles of TPCi's DP intros. I don't know why, but it sounds nice and pretty well put together, compared to most of TPCi's other efforts as far as the intros go.
    I especially love how the second version of that opening was put together.

I especially love how the second version of that opening was put together.
    Yeah, definitely. Now THAT was cool. Reminded me a lot of a 4Kids intro.

Considering Maddie Blaustein ended up passing away right after recording her lines for Meowth in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, we were going to get a voice change whether we were happy with it or not.
    Well, she passed away after doing Chatot in the second Mystery Dungeon Special about 2.5 years later, but I still see your point. In a way, it still wouldn't feel right without Maddie when I think about it, though.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 10th September 2013 at 6:50 AM.