Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei Thread

Default Shin Megami Tensei Thread

Yeah, we used to have a topic like that, but it fell back until it disappeared. So yes, there are two big things to talk about.

One is the fact that Devil Survivor's sequel, Devil Survivor 2, is now out in North America for the DS (hey, somebody besides Pokemon B & W 2 cares about the DS! Sweet).

The second one is that Atlus is now working to remake Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for the PSP to complete the set.

Off you go to make more posts!

Palutena believes there is no such thing as personal space. ~Made by yours truly~
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris / 3DS FC: Ask / Normal Safari: Audino, Smeargle, Lillipup
    Youtube Channel - Mario Kart 8

I just preordered my copy of Devil Survivor 2 yesterday. I should get it sometime next week.

I've heard its a big improvement over Devil Survivor 1 so I am really excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    I've heard its a big improvement over Devil Survivor 1 so I am really excited.
    The graphical difference is sort of like Diamond and Pearl to HeartGold and SoulSilver. The same, but a lot more refined.

The real difference is the soundtrack. DS2's soundtrack is a home run. Every single song is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    The real difference is the soundtrack. DS2's soundtrack is a home run. Every single song is amazing.
    Not to say DS1's was necessarily bad. I liked a few of the songs, especially the really upbeat tension song, no idea what it was called. But it had basically 3 tracks and that was it.

I haven't sat down to a nice SMT game for a while. I've got DDS1 and P3 basically at endgame and yet I just can't beat 'em. DDS just because I don't want to grind for more points for abilities, P3 just because I keep chipping away at it. :/

Except you don't need to master every Mantra to make DDS beatable (though it sure as hell is fun), so I dunno what really is stopping you from finishing it? Digressions aside, I recommend Devil Survivor 2, it's a pretty solid game and a big improvement over the first game's shortcomings IMO (As with most games recently, I play the Japanese release first).

SONG OF ANARCHY
    onii-chan, where are you?
    steam || ustream || youtube

Why did you do this? Now Elice is going to drift into this section.

I have almost all of the Persona games in one form or another and need to finish them, and also Strange Journey which I need to finish... and probably a few others that I'm forgetting, too.

This, though, is legitimately interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonozaki Maya View Post
    Except you don't need to master every Mantra to make DDS beatable (though it sure as hell is fun), so I dunno what really is stopping you from finishing it? Digressions aside, I recommend Devil Survivor 2, it's a pretty solid game and a big improvement over the first game's shortcomings IMO (As with most games recently, I play the Japanese release first).
    Where the **** did you come back from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    Where the **** did you come back from?
    You sound disappointed :[

I came back from... well, the land of boredom I guess.

I am also pretty interested in the EP thing for the PSP, but I find it more hilarious that this is the case considering the joke Persona comics I have read regarding Persona remakes.

SONG OF ANARCHY

You sound disappointed :[
    Not really.

I am also pretty interested in the EP thing for the PSP, but I find it more hilarious that this is the case considering the joke Persona comics I have read regarding Persona remakes.
    You probably also have the PS1 copy anyway, don't you?

That's one of the many PS1 games that I wish I had that I don't think I ever owned; keep in mind that I had an older brother who once had a fairly impressive PS1 collection, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    The graphical difference is sort of like Diamond and Pearl to HeartGold and SoulSilver. The same, but a lot more refined.

I meant gameplay-wise. Physical attacks were a little weak in Devil Suvivor 1, but I heard Devil Survivor 2 fixes it.

Besides Devil Surivor games I also have Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Strange Journey and Devil Survivor: Radiou vs Kind Abbadon. I want to pick up Digital Devil Saga and the 2 Persona 2's as well as the Persona 4: the Golden (normally I skip over remakes but Persona 4 is my favorite video game)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    You probably also have the PS1 copy anyway, don't you?

That's one of the many PS1 games that I wish I had that I don't think I ever owned; keep in mind that I had an older brother who once had a fairly impressive PS1 collection, so yeah.
    I played both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment on the PS1, so I guess technically I did have a copy. I no longer have them because $$$, but that got blown off.

Besides Devil Surivor games I also have Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Strange Journey and Devil Survivor: Radiou vs Kind Abbadon. I want to pick up Digital Devil Saga and the 2 Persona 2's as well as the Persona 4: the Golden (normally I skip over remakes but Persona 4 is my favorite video game)
    I don't think P4 Golden is even out yet, and it's for the Vita, which I'm apprehensive about since the library isn't big enough yet.

SONG OF ANARCHY

I don't think P4 Golden is even out yet, and it's for the Vita, which I'm apprehensive about since the library isn't big enough yet.
    I think that's the only think on Vita that I'm even remotely interested in at present, and even then... ****ing expanded remakes :| but I'm a little mad about how PSP backward compatibility is being handled with that anyway, so.

Whens the 3DS version coming out I want cutscenes and more data!

my dad sold most of my persona games. now all i have is persona 4. working on getting fes and p3p from gamefly. i have to say my favorite smt game has to be nocturn and i hope its remade (with voice acting and better controlls) for the vita or the 3ds.
    own all pokemon games from red to white

pokemon white fc:3955-0240-3243

I don't calculate stat values I don't use cheating devices I don't breed my way to perfection and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are,and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)
    I don't care about EVs. If you don't either, copy and paste this into your sig. (Started by Shiny Metagross)

Anybody familiar with the Persona games should recognize my sig.

I'm a huge fan of the franchise, and the sole reason I still can't get into real-time battle RPGs. I think I was fortunate enough to play P4 first and P3 after, because in my opinion, I think I'd have felt disappointed if it'd been the other way around.

P4's characters were much more fleshed out, and direct control of every party member is nice, but it still feels stripped down from what P3 had to offer. Not to mention that the story becomes ridiculous after the killer is caught.

By the way, anybody else ever tried SMT Nocturne? Getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly was never that satisfying.
    Last edited by MarbleZone; 29th February 2012 at 7:49 PM.

Except you don't need to master every Mantra to make DDS beatable (though it sure as hell is fun), so I dunno what really is stopping you from finishing it?
    I didn't say that, it's just that I was underpowered. I supposed I implied maybe too much for all audiences, but my level is at least halfway appropriate I just need better mantras for some of my characters. That's all.

Grinding for the Mantras later on is just a little...Eh. It's just grinding, so it's as boring as one might expect.

[QUOTE
    By the way, anybody else ever tried SMT Nocturne? Getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly was never that satisfying.[/QUOTE]

i used action replay lol, but i sent it back to gamefly
    own all pokemon games from red to white

pokemon white fc:3955-0240-3243

I don't calculate stat values I don't use cheating devices I don't breed my way to perfection and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are,and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)
    I don't care about EVs. If you don't either, copy and paste this into your sig. (Started by Shiny Metagross)

Quote Originally Posted by garren View Post
    my dad sold most of my persona games. now all i have is persona 4. working on getting fes and p3p from gamefly. i have to say my favorite smt game has to be nocturn and i hope its remade (with voice acting and better controlls) for the vita or the 3ds.
    I don't think it's going to be remade a 2nd time.

Since Nocturne Chronicles came out a couple years ago anyway.

SONG OF ANARCHY

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Waiting for Persona 4: The Golden to come out. That'll be my first SMT game.
    You should definitely back track afterwards and play some of the older stuff. The following games are all great:

Persona 3
    Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
    Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
    Nocturne (this is the best IMO)
    Strange Journey
    Digital Devil Saga
    Digital Devil Saga 2
    Devil Survivor Overclocked
    Devil Survivor 2

At the very least, you should play one from each series. So one main series game, one Persona, one Devil Summoner, one Digital Devil Saga, and one Devil Survivor. They're all different from each other, but they have the same demons and mythology (God is a douchebag, and if a character is blonde and pale, they're Lucifer, no matter if they're male, female, young, or old).

Problem is, you'll be hard pressed to find some of those, such as Nocturne and Devil Summoner 1, but always keep an eye out. Also, if you plan on the Persona series I'd recommend P3P, if not, definitely play P3 before P4 because the improvements really make you not want to go back, in some cases.

I've only finished two of the games, but I love the series in general.

So far I've finished Devil Survivor, Devil Survivor Overclocked (which I'd count as 1 game), and Persona 3 Portable. I am, however, playing Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 2, and Shin Megami Tensei (SNES) at the moment. I'm also playing Persona 2: Innocent Sin, but I kinda feel like getting Persona and playing that first, as there are refrences to the characters and stuff. I also have Devil Summoner 2, DemiKids Dark Version, and Shin Megami Tensei II waiting to be played.

I'll end up getting Persona 4: The Golden and Persona 4: Arena (really looking forward to that one, since I'm a fighting game fan) when they're released. Oh, and lets not forget Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 on the PSN as PlayStation 2 classics! Oh, and Eternal Punishment xD So many to play.

I've also been playing the MMO, Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. It's pretty fun, the combat isn't your typical MMO stuff. I'm only Lv.24 at the moment, walking around with my Lilim ^^
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 4339-2697-2470

Quote Originally Posted by Dragard View Post
    I've also been playing the MMO, Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. It's pretty fun, the combat isn't your typical MMO stuff. I'm only Lv.24 at the moment, walking around with my Lilim ^^
    Sorry to spoil your fun, but IMAGINE is your typical late-game grindfesta. Once you do all the acts, it degenerates into an incredibly boring grind at around Lv65+ when the EXP curve shoots up considerably.

SONG OF ANARCHY

Palutena believes there is no such thing as personal space. ~Made by yours truly~

Sorry to spoil your fun, but IMAGINE is your typical late-game grindfesta. Once you do all the acts, it degenerates into an incredibly boring grind at around Lv65+ when the EXP curve shoots up considerably.
    I wish some of these games could tone that down. In the RPG genre as a whole (counting all the subgenres), I can pinpoint two games that are REALLY horrible about it, but most of the SMTs that I've played haven't been too aggravating so far (though maybe that's just to offset the fact that you start off rather vulnerable).

PSO gets to it once you hit about level 80, if I had to estimate. Off-topic, but.

I have to admit that the battles in DS2 seem to play a LOT harder than DS.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast