Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sonic Thread!

Default The Sonic Thread!

I noticed that there is no Sonic thread,so I made one!

Here you can talk about missions,get help on Red Rings and what not.

All SPPF Rules apply!

That means no spamming,yada yada yada.You know the drill.

Topic!If anyone needs one...
    Who's your favorite character?
    Mine is Enerjak (from the Archie comics).I wish they would add him or Dark Enerjak into the games somehow.

"If you don't sharpen your blade,you lose your edge."
    I have claimed Inigo,Fire Emblem for the GBA,Open Your Heart from Sonic Aventure and Electabuzz!

There was one.

Let's just say things did not end well.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Ah, the famous Sonic Thread. Gotta go FAST!

Tails is my Favorite character. Sonic Boom is a bad game though

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Ah, the famous Sonic Thread. Gotta go FAST!

Tails is my Favorite character. Sonic Boom is a bad game though
    As they say, 'Don't judge the book by its cover'.

<Made by Flame Haze SnS>
    ~Reincarnated from Dark Absol to Flame Haze SnS~
    To become a Flame Haze, one must be a vessel for the Lord of the Crimson Realm
    Anime Character Bishie: Shana from Shakugan no Shana
    Currently playing: Pokemon - Omega Ruby (3DS XL) and Assassin's Creed - Rogue (X-Box 360 S)

I couldn't be any less interested in the direction Sonic has been going lately. I mean, with Generations it seems like they had come pretty close to perfecting Modern gameplay and Sonic was starting to get good again, and then what do they do? They scrap the Modern gameplay completely and come up with a completely new gameplay style that is essentially one step forward, two steps back. Both Lost World and Boom have moved away from one of if not the most important element in the series, speed. The Modern gameplay had that in spades, initially to the point where it had detracted from the other elements of the series, but then Generations had balanced things out a little more. But with Lost World and Boom, the speed takes the backseat, to slow, blocky platforming and uninspired beat em up gameplay respectively. And even when they do have speed elements, they're mainly short bursts with very little interactivity and end fairly abruptly. The next game needs to emphasize the speed a little more, and more importantly provide a sense of flow. I don't mind occasionally having to slow down for platforming in between speed sections, but they can't just throw a brick wall in front of you and then force hop across a bunch of small blocks, that kind of platforming just doesn't work for Sonic. I'm hoping the next Sonic game addresses these issues, SEGA seems to have lost their way with the last few games.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Haze SnS View Post
    It can't possible be a good Sonic game no matter what the full game is like if it's 5 minutes of speed gameplay and an hour of beat em up gameplay though. There's a lot of argument over what is and is not a Sonic game, but the vast majority of the fanbase agrees that speed is an important part of that.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 3rd September 2014 at 7:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    There was one.

Let's just say things did not end well.
    What happened?

To be fair, Boom is a spin off being made by a completely different team. While I won't write the game off just yet, I do agree that the focus needs to be put back on speed. Oh and Sonic's 25th is in 2 years. I wonder what Sega's gonna do.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    Oh and Sonic's 25th is in 2 years. I wonder what Sega's gonna do.
    It is?I don't care what they make,as long as they don't rush it like 06.

"If you don't sharpen your blade,you lose your edge."
    I have claimed Inigo,Fire Emblem for the GBA,Open Your Heart from Sonic Aventure and Electabuzz!

To be fair, Boom is a spin off being made by a completely different team. While I won't write the game off just yet, I do agree that the focus needs to be put back on speed.
    Funny, because they don't really treat it like one. When they first revealed it, they showed off a trailer that showed off more speed than combat, as if they were trying to emphasize that aspect of it more. Only when we got more details at E3 did it become clear that it was combat focused, with there being about an hour's worth of combat for every 5 minutes of speed. Also, it's not as if the gameplay is anything radically different, we've had Sonic games before that have had combat elements, Heroes, 06, and Unleashed to name a few. And if they really wanted to make a combat themed spinoff, there was no need to include speed sections anyway because a spinoff has no obligation to adhere to the core gameplay of the main series. If they're trying to make a spinoff, fine, make a spinoff. But BRB should've known better than to include core gameplay elements in a series where games are constantly bashed for genre roulette and where there have been complaints in the past over alternating between speed gameplay and beat em up gameplay. If they'd have done their research, they would've known this was a mistake from the very beginning regardless of intention.

Oh and Sonic's 25th is in 2 years. I wonder what Sega's gonna do.
    I'd like to see Generations 2, but anything's fine as long as it's good. Whatever it is though, it's probably going to be for PS4/One.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Funny, because they don't really treat it like one. When they first revealed it, they showed off a trailer that showed off more speed than combat, as if they were trying to emphasize that aspect of it more. Only when we got more details at E3 did it become clear that it was combat focused, with there being about an hour's worth of combat for every 5 minutes of speed. Also, it's not as if the gameplay is anything radically different, we've had Sonic games before that have had combat elements, Heroes, 06, and Unleashed to name a few. And if they really wanted to make a combat themed spinoff, there was no need to include speed sections anyway because a spinoff has no obligation to adhere to the core gameplay of the main series. If they're trying to make a spinoff, fine, make a spinoff. But BRB should've known better than to include core gameplay elements in a series where games are constantly bashed for genre roulette and where there have been complaints in the past over alternating between speed gameplay and beat em up gameplay. If they'd have done their research, they would've known this was a mistake from the very beginning regardless of intention.
    Fair point

I'd like to see Generations 2, but anything's fine as long as it's good. Whatever it is though, it's probably going to be for PS4/One.
    I just want them to go back to Generations gameplay period. It was so close to being perfect and then they just scrap it. I'd also like to see a return to emphasis on story if only because I'd like the game to actually last longer than 5 hours and Colors and Lost Worlds were pretty cringe worthy at times. I also admittedly miss fighting out of control deities and stuff.

I just want them to go back to Generations gameplay period. It was so close to being perfect and then they just scrap it. I'd also like to see a return to emphasis on story if only because I'd like the game to actually last longer than 5 hours and Colors and Lost Worlds were pretty cringe worthy at times. I also admittedly miss fighting out of control deities and stuff.
    That's a combination of Iizuka liking lighthearted plots and the current writers (Ken Pontac and Warren Graff) just being terrible writers in general, I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Haze SnS View Post
    Unless the last 5-7 book covers have been from iffy to terrible.

Unless the last 5-7 book covers have been from iffy to terrible.
    Yeah, Sonic's reputation has been pretty questionable for the last 10 years or so.

All I can say is that I'm done with Sonic. No matter what Sega seems to try it just can not create the magic of the Genesis games. Tho the raacoon girl looks like she whould be fun to play as.

I've pretty much sworn off of the Sonic games. There just haven't really been any GOOD ones as of late. However, if they should ever make a Sonic game based off the Sonic Archie Comics that isn't a pile of crap, then I might buy it.
    Y FC: 2208-5773-1491
    Safari: Flying with Woobat, Farfetch'd and Hawlucha

I now have the Friend Safaris I've been looking for, so PM me if you want me to add you. If your Safari peaks my interest, I'll add you.

Current Y Shinies: Skrelp, Cacturne, Teddiursa, Avalugg, Blastoise, Mienfoo, Grumpig, Fraxure (x2) , Minccino, Greninja, Lucario, Fletchinder, Vaporeon, Delphox, Dragonair, Dedenne, Luxio

Shinies transferred from Black 2: Entei, Milotic, Dialga, Raikou, Pichu, Seaking, Typhlosion (French), Magmortar, Espeon, Haxorus, Gible, Salamence, Giratina

Shinies from trades: Ninetails (Nicknamed Lady), Eevee (now a Leafeon), Eevee (from Unova, Lv. 15, caught in Masterball, not sure if hacked or not)

I'm about to blow all of your minds, my favourite character is Marine the Raccoon because I like how she doesn't give a **** about what Blaze tells her to do also I'm incredibly indifferent to Sonic Boom because Sonic Team seem to have no idea what to do with the series even though Colors and Generations and day stages of Unleashed were all held in high regard.

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreaterLucario View Post
    I've pretty much sworn off of the Sonic games. There just haven't really been any GOOD ones as of late. However, if they should ever make a Sonic game based off the Sonic Archie Comics that isn't a pile of crap, then I might buy it.
    Generations.

Generations wasn't good. Now before anyone jumps me, it wasn't super terrible.

It had a interesting concept but it didn't seem like they knew what they wanted to do. You have the 2d classic gameplay, then you have the modern sonic gameplay, which is half boost to win, and half bad 2d platforming. Its also clearly pandering to nostalgia.

It had a interesting concept but it didn't seem like they knew what they wanted to do. You have the 2d classic gameplay, then you have the modern sonic gameplay, which is half boost to win, and half bad 2d platforming. Its also clearly pandering to nostalgia.
    It's a celebration of Sonic's history, what do you expect? I'd hardly call those things flaws in an anniversary game.

being an anniversary doesn't excuse it. Wasn't SA1 an anniversary game? That was great.

being an anniversary doesn't excuse it. Wasn't SA1 an anniversary game? That was great.
    First of all, that was SA2. Second, both of the Adventure games are mediocre at best thanks to over half of the gameplay being genre roulette. Third, the other anniversary games weren't meant to be references to past games, they were original games. If you don't like the idea, fine, but in terms of execution, none of those things you listed are actual issues.

First of all, that was SA2. Second, both of the Adventure games are mediocre at best thanks to over half of the gameplay being genre roulette. Third, the other anniversary games weren't meant to be references to past games, they were original games. If you don't like the idea, fine, but in terms of execution, none of those things you listed are actual issues.
    You don't think rehashing music and levels from your previous games, in addition to half-assed modern 2d portions with boost to win aren't issues

Crisis City, Planet Wisp, and Sky Sanctuary were far from boost to win. I'll agree it was overall a quick nostalgia cash in (quite a few that year I think), but gameplay was solid.

Also, with the exception of the mech levels in Adventure 2 which were just meh, I quite liked the other gameplay styles, especially the treasure hunting.

You don't think rehashing music and levels from your previous games
    Again, this is entirely missing the point of the game, it's revisiting older levels as a celebration of Sonic's history. It's kind of like a remake in a sense because it's not about creating an entirely new experience but capturing the essence of older games. Complaining about Generations reusing levels is like complaining about OoT 3D for not being a new game.

in addition to half-assed modern 2d portions with boost to win aren't issues
    I'm no expert on the Classic gameplay, but Modern definitely was not boost to win.

Again, this is entirely missing the point of the game, it's revisiting older levels as a celebration of Sonic's history. It's kind of like a remake in a sense because it's not about creating an entirely new experience but capturing the essence of older games. Complaining about Generations reusing levels is like complaining about OoT 3D for not being a new game.
    I guess you could call it that. It was the 20th Anniversary, so they decided to give tribute to the series by including OG Sonic, and remaking some of the old levels and music.

But you're wrong about the OoT3D comparison. It's the same exact game as N64 OoT, just updated graphics and fixed controls. Generations is a new game, but includes fan service and gives tribute to the franchise's 2 decade long history.
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

That would of been fine had it actually captured the essence of the older game. And that Zelda part makes no sense

I'm no expert on the Classic gameplay, but Modern definitely was not boost to win.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW1fGM8g3ao

Win minimal control input, you could get through huge portions of these stages. Note Speed Highway, you literately get stuck at a modern 2d section. The modern stages were boost to win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast