Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei Thread

So ****ing excited for P5.

Might pick up Q as well, might be fun.
    ...and a toilet seat cover.

I'll be waiting for more information on Persona 5 but with the way the short trailer went, it seems to be going the dark direction again, which is pretty good.

On the other hand, I couldn't be more excited for Q. I've been waiting for a Persona game on my 3DS for some time and I couldn't have gotten anything better (aside from maybe a new IP)

I love the P3 and P4 crossover so if they decide to bring it over it will probably be a day one purchase for me.

My 3DS FC: 3067-5353-8848

Picture credits go to: http://amastroph.deviantart.com/

On the topic about Persona becoming "dark" again.

Maybe it's just me, but after playing Persona 3, the one that was "so much darker than P4", I didn't actually find it to really be that dark. Obviously most of it comes down to perspective but I found P3 had a lot of cheerful parts, mostly the day-to-day school life and comedy/banter brought on by the friendly characters. The Social Links were pretty much all normal, except for Sun which was the only one I could consider as dark. Even the most grim parts of the plot were... fairly tame. This isn't to say make it like Game of Thrones or throw in some rape or abuse scenes to make it seem dark. That's not going to make it a better game unless it's handled properly.

3 is much more darker in atmosphere imo. Most of Tartarus is a much darker looking place than most of the dungeons in 4. But 3 really isn't that much darker than 4. 1 and 2 are the darkest.

And here's a translated PQ trailer.
    Last edited by diakyu; 26th November 2013 at 12:27 AM.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Oh Kanji. You're trying to look cute here.

"YOU SAYING I LOOK CUTE?"

Palutena believes there is no such thing as personal space. ~Made by yours truly~
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris / 3DS FC: Ask / Normal Safari: Audino, Smeargle, Lillipup
    Youtube Channel - Mario Kart 8

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    Ooo, thanks.

Every Shihoko Hirata song they've made has been fantastic, and that one sounds like another hit. Looking forward to the full thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    On the topic about Persona becoming "dark" again.

Maybe it's just me, but after playing Persona 3, the one that was "so much darker than P4", I didn't actually find it to really be that dark. Obviously most of it comes down to perspective but I found P3 had a lot of cheerful parts, mostly the day-to-day school life and comedy/banter brought on by the friendly characters. The Social Links were pretty much all normal, except for Sun which was the only one I could consider as dark. Even the most grim parts of the plot were... fairly tame. This isn't to say make it like Game of Thrones or throw in some rape or abuse scenes to make it seem dark. That's not going to make it a better game unless it's handled properly.
    Yeah I agree on you their, a lot of games just throw in dark and edgyness to make the game appeal to people (rarely does shin megami tensai do this..though all series have their duds). A story isn't good because it's dark, a dark story is good because it's well written.

Dengeki confirms a high school setting and talks about the theme for persona 5-
    Additionally, Dengeki reports that Persona 5 will be an RPG that sends a strong message of catharsis, after overcoming trials to free yourself from your shackles. The game will take place in the series’ usual juvenile school setting, but will take on a different mood this time around.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

It's kind of funny how Persona Q is a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off of a video game adaption of a Japanese novel. And it's based off of Etrian Odyssey, which is funny because Strange Journey was also based off of Etrian Odyssey (it used the same engine even if it looked completely different). I was hoping that we'd get a Strange Journey sequel using Etrian Odyssey 4's engine, but I guess we're getting a Shin Megami Tensei dungeon crawler one way or another.

My prediction for Persona Q is that it will actually end up being a really solid spin-off. The story won't top Persona 3/4's obviously, but the gameplay could easily be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Griever789 View Post
    Yeah I agree on you their, a lot of games just throw in dark and edgyness to make the game appeal to people (rarely does shin megami tensai do this..though all series have their duds). A story isn't good because it's dark, a dark story is good because it's well written.
    Peh, you want dark? Play Persona 2. Either one. Both IS and EP are dark as f*ck- and it's part of what makes them such good games!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    My prediction for Persona Q is that it will actually end up being a really solid spin-off. The story won't top Persona 3/4's obviously, but the gameplay could easily be better.
    Dungeons that aren't randomly generated is already a step in the right direction imo.

I want to know how dark 5 is. But as people said already it is all perspective. Like I found VLR much dark than P3. I can't bring myself to play 1 or 2 due to the characters being so dull. Played SH and everyone says it is dark but it was not so bad. Well the sister being in her braindead state was freaky.

Hmmm, so in Arena Labrys' theme is called "Shadow of the Labyrinth". Connection to Persona Q?
    Last edited by diakyu; 1st December 2013 at 5:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMelody View Post
    I want to know how dark 5 is. But as people said already it is all perspective. Like I found VLR much dark than P3. I can't bring myself to play 1 or 2 due to the characters being so dull. Played SH and everyone says it is dark but it was not so bad. Well the sister being in her braindead state was freaky.
    I've played Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. The only character that's really dull     Spoiler:- Hide:

Head to Amazon ASAP if you want to get Soul Hackers for just $10.

EDIT: Too late. I got my own, though!
    Last edited by AuraChannelerChris; 1st December 2013 at 4:17 AM.

Palutena believes there is no such thing as personal space. ~Made by yours truly~

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreaterLucario View Post
    I've played Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. The only character that's really dull     Spoiler:- Hide:

Hm speaking of Persona 2 charecters, while I have not gotten too far in it, One thing that kind of a pet peeves is a silent protaganist that has no reason to be silent, silent protangist are sort of suppose to be vague charecters with vague histories so one could put yourself or your own personality in...but when the charecter has a history that's told and even a bit of personality one can guage from his body language and the people around him is the silent protangist thing really neccessy? Again I have not gotten far so if a twist is he got his vocal cords severaly damaged at somepoint and nobody likes to talk about it I would not know.
    Last edited by Griever789; 1st December 2013 at 11:11 AM.

I have 2 small wishes for P5.
    First is I hope we'll be able to choose a female lead character like in P3P.
    Second, I hope they'll allow intimate same sex relationships )

Just finished watching the fight against Nyarlatothep in Persona 2: EP (for the gazillionth time). ....I am so NOT looking forward to that battle.

Which, in another Persona 2 video I watched today, someone in the comments brought up what I see as a genius idea for a new Persona game: Basically one giant Persona game involving all the characters from the past 4 Personas, in which it all culminates in one big, epic, cross-Persona-teamup final battle against Nyarlatothep. Kinda' like a "this is the penultimate threat to our world, so let's team up and take this guy down once and for all!" moment.
    Last edited by TheGreaterLucario; 5th December 2013 at 2:13 AM.

How did I miss this place I am such a big fan of Persona it's not even funny.
    Also trying to get Devil Survivor for my DS.
    If we're having a conversation about Persona 5 I think we should just start with an all new story instead of continuing with the Persona 3 and 4 storys.
    Not looking for anything right now thanks to Kybosh and Lion Demon their great people .

Check out my Persona fanfic. Review if you like it if you didn't tell me why with a review.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1052177...-New-Beginning

Games I have: White,Platinum,Emerald,Firered

Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    Basically, Pokémon only "play" with other 'mon they want to/can bang. Pokémon are just powerful animal-like frat boys: they're all about fighting, showing off & humping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    I'm way worse than Sogeking
    Quote Originally Posted by KantoPkmnMaster View Post
    Sprinkles on a non-chocolate donut. You may be a communist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murder Doll View Post
    Yu-Gi-Oh, it's all about the heart of the hair gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon trainer Black View Post
    Do it! I got it on a whim as the local game crazy was going out of business, and I was very surprised at how fun it was!(worth noting I only played P3/4 beforehand, none of the usual SMT games). It has an awesome story, and a perfect difficulty level.

I still want to pick the second one up sometime.
    ----------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon trainer Black View Post
    I assume you don't have a 3DS, which has the superior version.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    I assume you don't have a 3DS, which has the superior version.
    Yup no 3DS version for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Raiga- View Post
    Do it! I got it on a whim as the local game crazy was going out of business, and I was very surprised at how fun it was!(worth noting I only played P3/4 beforehand, none of the usual SMT games). It has an awesome story, and a perfect difficulty level.

I still want to pick the second one up sometime.
    I must get that before I get Persona 4 the Golden.
    Not looking for anything right now thanks to Kybosh and Lion Demon their great people .

Check out my Persona fanfic. Review if you like it if you didn't tell me why with a review.

Basically, Pokémon only "play" with other 'mon they want to/can bang. Pokémon are just powerful animal-like frat boys: they're all about fighting, showing off & humping.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreaterLucario View Post
    Just finished watching the fight against Nyarlatothep in Persona 2: EP (for the gazillionth time). ....I am so NOT looking forward to that battle.

Which, in another Persona 2 video I watched today, someone in the comments brought up what I see as a genius idea for a new Persona game: Basically one giant Persona game involving all the characters from the past 4 Personas, in which it all culminates in one big, epic, cross-Persona-teamup final battle against Nyarlatothep. Kinda' like a "this is the penultimate threat to our world, so let's team up and take this guy down once and for all!" moment.
    Admitly I would love to see this cross over if only to clear up how 1&2 and 3&4 stories connect. Honestly at times they don't even feel like their in the same series (persona not shin megami tensai) Not to mention I'd always imagine someone in the p3 group flabbergasted that a bunch of people got personas by running around a room and shouting, consider p3 group were so desperate for recruits they had to take a 10 year old and a dog.

Admitly I would love to see this cross over if only to clear up how 1&2 and 3&4 stories connect. Honestly at times they don't even feel like their in the same series (persona not shin megami tensai) Not to mention I'd always imagine someone in the p3 group flabbergasted that a bunch of people got personas by running around a room and shouting, consider p3 group were so desperate for recruits they had to take a 10 year old and a dog.
    A badass Dog.
    Also I think persona 1 and 2 are connected with 3 and 4 in the sense that 1 and 2 might take place in a alternate world closely resembles 3 and 4's world.
    Last edited by Pokemon trainer Black; 11th May 2014 at 5:02 PM.

Honestly at times they don't even feel like their in the same series.
    It's interesting, because MegaTen games are always like that. There's two games that are almost identical, and then something completely different. For example, Megami Tensei I and II, and then Shin Megami Tensei I and II happened, and then III and IV moved to polygons and third person exploration.

Then there's Devil Summoner. The original and Soul Hackers, and then the Raidou duo happened on PS2. And Personas 1 and 2 were similar, and 3 and 4 were something different.

It's why I'm so excited for Devil Survivor 3. 1 and 2 were really similar so I imagine the third game will be as drastic a change as Persona 2 --> Persona 3.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast