Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei Thread

Is it true the booklet for DS2 is long and thick?

Just ordered the game for 21.99 and waiting for the delivery.

As I mentioned on the PS thread, Europe's going to be getting Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 on the PlayStation Network's PS2 Classics section soon. It'll be the first time they get it. On a related note, Atlus reprinted the games in the US. So now you can pick up DDS for around $30, while DDS2 will run you around $25.

As for the announcement of Persona 2 EP getting a PSP port - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, ATLUS!

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Quote Originally Posted by AuraMaster View Post
    Is it true the booklet for DS2 is long and thick?

Just ordered the game for 21.99 and waiting for the delivery.
    Yes it is. It's the bulkiest DS booklet I've ever seen, but that's because it has two languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    As I mentioned on the PS thread, Europe's going to be getting Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 on the PlayStation Network's PS2 Classics section soon. It'll be the first time they get it. On a related note, Atlus reprinted the games in the US. So now you can pick up DDS for around $30, while DDS2 will run you around $25.

As for the announcement of Persona 2 EP getting a PSP port - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, ATLUS!

They reprinted PS2 games in 2012? Awesome, though used copies were going for 30 dollars in the past anyway its nice that there are now more copies floating around. Did they also reprint Nocturne? I am seeing it online for around the same price.

I to pick those up, but my wallet is kind of cringing at the 55 dollars. (not expensive by any means, but I have no income) Do I really need to get both or are the games fairly self contained?

Still waiting for Devil Survivor 2, I should get it in the mail by monday.
    Last edited by Zazie; 3rd March 2012 at 5:22 PM.

I still haven't finished Devil Survivor 1. I ragequit against one of the bosses at some point and haven't picked it up since. I really need to finish it, it's a great game.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    You should definitely back track afterwards and play some of the older stuff. The following games are all great:

Persona 3
    Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
    Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
    Nocturne (this is the best IMO)
    Strange Journey
    Digital Devil Saga
    Digital Devil Saga 2
    Devil Survivor Overclocked
    Devil Survivor 2

At the very least, you should play one from each series. So one main series game, one Persona, one Devil Summoner, one Digital Devil Saga, and one Devil Survivor. They're all different from each other, but they have the same demons and mythology (God is a douchebag, and if a character is blonde and pale, they're Lucifer, no matter if they're male, female, young, or old).
    Whoa whoa, hold on there. I'm not sure if I'll even LIKE the game yet. I probably will but maybe it won't be enough to delve further into SMT, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Whoa whoa, hold on there. I'm not sure if I'll even LIKE the game yet. I probably will but maybe it won't be enough to delve further into SMT, who knows?
    Don't use Persona as your judge as to whether or not you'll like SMT. As I said, each SMT series is different from one another. Devil Survivor is a deconstruction of Pokemon. Persona 3 + 4 are part dating sim, part slice of life, and part dungeon crawler. The main SMT series (Nocturne, Strange Journey, etc.) are dungeon crawlers set in dark futuristic worlds. Key word being dark. You won't be able to social link with cutesy Anime girls in Nocturne.

The characters, plot, and gameplay aren't even similar. If it wasn't for SMT being in the title and some of the demons/personae being the same, you wouldn't even know they were in the same series.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraMaster View Post
    long and thick?
    Someone had to do it.

Anyway, I've had my eye on DS2 for a while, gotta get the cash up.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Don't use Persona as your judge as to whether or not you'll like SMT. As I said, each SMT series is different from one another. Devil Survivor is a deconstruction of Pokemon. Persona 3 + 4 are part dating sim, part slice of life, and part dungeon crawler. The main SMT series (Nocturne, Strange Journey, etc.) are dungeon crawlers set in dark futuristic worlds. Key word being dark. You won't be able to social link with cutesy Anime girls in Nocturne.

The characters, plot, and gameplay aren't even similar. If it wasn't for SMT being in the title and some of the demons/personae being the same, you wouldn't even know they were in the same series.
    Well, if you say so. I'm not really interested in Persona 4 for the dating sim aspect (I don't play dating sims) but the anime was a kind of gateway drug.

Well, if you say so. I'm not really interested in Persona 4 for the dating sim aspect (I don't play dating sims) but the anime was a kind of gateway drug.

If you play games for the story then the other Shin Megami Tensei games may not be your cup of tea. This isn't to say they have poor stories, but they are primarily well liked for their gameplay.

Also Persona 4's video game story is better in most ways. The Kanji storyline in particular is handled pretty poorly in the anime.
    Last edited by Zazie; 4th March 2012 at 1:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    Did they also reprint Nocturne?
    Yeah, Nocturne's been reprinted several times now.

The "dating sim" aspect is required to make better Persona through Fusion. Not to mention, it helps flesh out the characters as well as gives your team more options during fights, such as taking attacks that would one-shot the leader or healing status effects, as well as jumping in to attack an enemy that's been hit with an attack of its weakness or a Critical Hit.

If you play games for the story then the other Shin Megami Tensei games may not be your cup of tea. This isn't to say they have poor stories, but they are primarily well liked for their gameplay.

Also Persona 4's video game story is better in most ways. The Kanji storyline in particular is handled pretty poorly in the anime.
    I don't ever play games entirely for story, but I don't ignore stories either. I enjoy the really good ones of course. I know it probably sounds kind of lame but the setting is what got me the most interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The "dating sim" aspect is required to make better Persona through Fusion. Not to mention, it helps flesh out the characters as well as gives your team more options during fights, such as taking attacks that would one-shot the leader or healing status effects, as well as jumping in to attack an enemy that's been hit with an attack of its weakness or a Critical Hit.
    I still intended to explore the dating sim Fusion thing too. I don't want the game entirely for that part but I still want to try it out is what I guess I'm saying.

Seeing that Nocturne got mentioned, for those willing to import or CAN find a copy that can be imported (and is able to understand it), I recommend Nocturne Chronicles instead as that is basically Nocturne+, including Raidou as a potential team member. I think that it's a great enhancement of the original game and I recommend it for those people who are interested in it. However, since it's Japanese-only as far as I know, there may be a language barrier concern.

Not sure I can agree entirely with this; while the majority of SMT popularity does stem from the gameplay, a bulk of actual Shin Megami Tensei discussion and debate are based on the plot itself. For instance, the differences regarding the Law/Neutral/Chaos route splits - which ones do people consider as the morally best one? Which one would be canon? Questions like that. While more often than not it leads to flame wars, it can still yield some heavily interesting discussion.

SONG OF ANARCHY
    onii-chan, where are you?
    steam || ustream || youtube

Devil Survivor 2 mixes the "dating sim" aspect of Persona 3 & 4. However, the plus side is that you have over 10 people to talk to with 5 levels each. The bad side is that...wait, there's no bad side.

I just got Devil Survivor 2 in the mail today. I am pretty hyped right now. The instracution booklet is so thick the staples are barely keeping it together.

Word of advice:

Devil Survivor 2 turns downright evil at the final day (of your first playthrough). In any important battle, let the MC destroy bosses and high-level enemies the most so that his level unlocks more fuseable demons because the free battles will be incredibly slow level grinding. If you can let your party members get experience through free battles, let them.

Also, crack skills, crack, crack, CRACK. If you come across Recarm and Samarecarm, GET THEM IMMEDIATELY. The quick-turn revive strategy is no longer here, but even so, having those revive spells around are a must.

You know, personally I really enjoy Shin Megami Tensei games for the religious aspects they throw in and overall plots. I'm really enjoying Strange Journey's "Humans are terrible creatures" theme. The gameplay is great too, be it the classic turn based system, or the action stuff in Devil Summoner.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 4339-2697-2470

I'm pretty sure anything that isn't heavenly is looked down upon in any SMT game.

Hungry for OMGHOLYCRAPTRAILER!?!!?! And apparently the new character is played but Kana Hanazawa. Am I surprised? Not really, she's in almost every anime lately.

Interesting idea for a contest.

Anyway I finally got around to starting Devil Survivor 2. It seems to be a bit more dialogue choice heavy, which is a definite plus. It seems like they are attempting to draw in the Persona crowd a little more.

I am not sure how I want to distribute my main character's stats right now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Most agree that turning the MC into a magic nuker is a very good choice for the start of your first playthrough. If you manage to get Phys Repel/Null Phys/Phys Drain, you'll be practically shielded against most attacks.

It's up to you what you want to compensate those traits with the demons. Racial skills can now evolve into better skills.

Also been confirmed that the console versions of P4U will feature more content than the arcade version. Hoping for a gag mode similar to the recent Blazblue.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast