Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Aerial Battle! (729)

I haven't gotten to see the whole episode yet, but from the part that I have seen, I love it! It looked great before it ever aired and it is great! Tranquil learning Wing Attack and Aerial Ace upsetted me because it's so generic and she can't learn Wing Attack in-game. They could have really stepped up her moveset. I loved the canon Skyla shot out of. I love that they implemented it from BW. I thought this episode was great.

Currently writing: The Missing Link!
    Chapters posted: 8
    Please read and review. I'll be eternally grateful.

Wow ! That's a flying gym ! All this battles in the air, Unfeazant is so fast .... And he fight all the pokemon of Skyla

For some reason I felt this Gym match was a result of a lot of moves and dodges! Not more than 3 hits were made which probably indicated that Fuuro's Pokemon were of high level and a single attack might've been enough to take one of Satoshi's Pokemon out.

*The crocodile was hit once and he was out!
    *He managed to hit the bat with one stone of stone edge.
    *Tranquil hit the bat once with Air Cutter and out it was.
    *Pikachu hit Fuuro's Unfezant w/ Iron Tail/Electro Ball combo and out he was.
    *Pikachu hit Swanna once with Quick Attack.
    *Swanna took down Pikachu with a triple combo. Bubblebeam to knock it to the ground, followed with Hurricane to lift it mid air and finishing it off with Brave Bird midair.
    *Tranquill hit Swanna for the second hit w/ Quick Attack and third hit Air Cutter, Swanna knocked it to the ground with Hurracane and it evolved, this was the first time Tranquill was hit by a move.
    *Swanna hits Unfezant with Brave Bird, this is the second time Unfezant is hit by a move, both being a 120 Power Stat move, though that probably doesn't matter in the anime!
    *Unfezant finishes off Swanna with Aerial Ace making this Swanna's fourth hit.

If anything, Swanna should have been out way earlier...

I really felt this Gym match could connect to the games because in reality it really does take 2-3 attack moves in a game to knock someone out, depending on type advantage of course. But this episode felt realistic, you know?

Before anyone says something, yes, I am aware that the anime is different than the games, I'm just saying that for this particular instant, it felt like they were really following the game. They just completely killed it with Wing Attack. HA-HAHA -___-;;
    Last edited by Akaku; 4th March 2012 at 9:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Phoenix View Post
    We could say it could be because Pikachu is not fully evolved thus she assumed he'd be weak to win. But it wouldn't work because in the previous episode she gave a win to a Emolga.
    Even if that's true, Emolga can't evolve so that probably wasn't her reasoning
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Even if that's true, Emolga can't evolve so that probably wasn't her reasoning
    That's what I'm saying. Her reasonings seem to not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Phoenix View Post
    That's what I'm saying. Her reasonings seem to not make sense.
    Well then yes, your correct, Skyla just doesn't think straight XD
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Loved this Gym battle, they're really stepping it up after the train wreck that was Nimbasa.

The battle were all good here, and there were no cheap wins. I'm delighted that Tranquil actually defeated something before evolving, she needed the win badly. Her evolution looked amazing too. I'm disappointed that Krokorok lost, and I'd rather it was because of the glasses, but I'll live with it. Overall a great battle in my opinion.

On thing I don't really understand is how exactly Ash proved Skyla wrong. Sure, he beat her, but most of her matches proved to be correct. Krokorok did lose to Swoobat, Swanna did defeat Pikachu, and Tranquil, while not falling to Unfezant, was still unable to defeat him. I suppose Ash winning (contrary to her prediction) did prove something though at least.

Late to the party but who cares?

-As we all knew already, Ash is battling with Tranquill, Krokorok, and Pikachu. Skyla tries to weasel her way out of a battle, but the kids who were watching her battle with Dento want more! Skyla gives in, but she predicts that she'll win. Of course...and then she goes off to fly her plane for a bit. Goddammit, Ash is RIGHT THERE JUST BATTLE HIM ALREADY YOU LAZY TWIT.
    -Later that night, Ash is balancing himself on his head for some reason. Of course he's pumped about the battle, but he says something that gets Iris AND Dento to facefault.
    -Okay, the battlefield Skyla set up looks cool, but it still could be better. I demand people getting fired out of cannons into walls!
    -Oh wait, there's a cannon! And it's firing Skyla! But she doesn't slam into a wall, so that doesn't count.
    -Skyla's Swoobat swooped down to the ground after Krokorok used Dig? That's...really, REALLY stupid. Of course it beats Krokorok anyway to build suspense, but still.
    -Aqua Ring makes Swanna immune to electricity? WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT? It was bad enough that it magically healed its burn last episode!
    -Ash wins, and Skyla says she learned an important lesson about doing your goddamned job work-life balance how her Air Battles were no substitute for the real thing. Blah blah blah, everyone is happy.

Good episode, even if this makes two gym battles against GLs I dislike in a row(nothing against Clay or Skyla in other media, but both of them were kind of made into jerks in the anime :| At least Skyla became a better person at the end of this episode. Or something.).
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    Late to the party but who cares?

Ash is balancing himself on his head for some reason. Of course he's pumped about the battle, but he says something that gets Iris AND Dento to facefault.
    Not sure, but I think the purpose of that is to increase the rich blood flow to the head, in order to increase mental capacity.

Anyhow, I found it a bit cheesy, that Ash, as usual, was the one to change her heart and stance on real battling.

Air Battles weren't ideal, but they were a time saver, and in some cases, the losses were clear beforehand, like the girl that showed up with a Fire monkey, Kurumiru, and Hahakomori.

This episode was good. It was unfortunate seeing Waurivile lose in very little time to Kokoromori. Kokoromori was just too quick and strong knocking it out with Air Cutter. It was great seeing Tranquil get a win, and then evolve and getting a win as Kenhorou. As a Kenhorou, she was really fast and was able to take down Swanna because of that. Ash looked funny when he was doing a head-stand. It was odd seeing Pikachu faint in a completely different way this time, like a real life faint into Ash's arms instead of the swirled eyes. Very clever for Ash to have Pikachu use the flying rings to use Quick Attack on Swanna. It was great seeing Skyla come out from a cannon and onto a bat-like sky glider and then land.

80/100

Now THAT was a gym battle. I knew from the moment I saw the animation team it'd be good, but geeze, everyone looked great! The animation was smooth and flawless.

When Skyla made her entrance with the cannon, I couldn't help but think 'now THERE'S an entrance. Why can't all gym leaders do that?' It just made the battle feel so much bigger - perhaps opening the roof also helped that.

I don't think Krokorok should have lost because of his glasses-this simply wasn't his focus episode, he'll get that plot development later. I almost guarantee.

I also really appreciated the scene in the bedroom with Ash standing on his head. It really made the trio feel like a real, functioning group of friends - I love moments like that.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

Ash's Unfezant was just simply amazing. Her dodging was so cool I love flying pokemon matches when they are done right. Staraptor vs Honchkrow and Unfezant vs Swanna are two of my favorite matches.

Random : PokéRadar

the pacing of the fights could've been abit better, but it was alright as each pokemon sustained enough damage to register a knock out on fair ground and other than Pikachu vs the male unfezant the other two fights were team efforts.

Still annoyed we didn't find out what ability Ash's Unfezant has though

It's odd how Skyla said everything was going according to what the air battles said it would, but she was lying about that. She said that Ash would be down to only Pikachu, which wasn't the case since Ash switched out Hatoboh earlier on. She also said that Kenhallow would take down Hatooboh, but he didn't.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    It's odd how Skyla said everything was going according to what the air battles said it would, but she was lying about that. She said that Ash would be down to only Pikachu, which wasn't the case since Ash switched out Hatoboh earlier on. She also said that Kenhallow would take down Hatooboh, but he didn't.
    She was just making up excuses. Skyla was interpreted as such a cocky and arrogant character that it's almost unbelievable.

I wish they had done better job with her.

....and now, her story begins.

Finished watching the episode.

Was quite the entrance on Skyla's part...kind of over the top though but whatever.

Interesting, didn't know Krokorok actually got a hit in on Swoobat, well at less it did something in the battle. The battle was kind of fast. I wish they would reference the types better, there was no mentioning of Swoobat's Psychic type and Krokorok's Dark type. I still wish it would have lost due to it's sunglasses. Was nice seeing Ash use Krokorok in an official battle though.

Swoobat vs Tranquill was kind of a quick battle too. It was interesting though, I liked how Wing Attack was done, the little sound effect from it was nice, Tranquill's second Air Cutter was interesting too. Disappointed that Swoobat only had two moves.

Unfezant vs Tranquill was yet again quick, although it was due to substitution so not that big of a deal, although Tranquill seemed more exhausted then it should have been, it didn't have that hard a time against Swoobat.

Unfezant vs Pikachu...why are these battles so quick...Unfezant only had two moves too...I liked Pikachu's Electro Ball at the end, was nice.

Swanna vs Pikachu was a decent length at less. Poor Pikachu, couldn't really do anything against Swanna...oh well +1 win for Tranquill...or Unfezant I guess.

Swanna vs Tranquill was alright length wise considering Tranquill evolves. Gust vs Hurricane...hahaha...ha, I don't even know what to say about it other then it was an interesting collision of attacks with a not surprising outcome, I liked it. I liked the build up to Tranquill evolving, Iris thinks it's over then Cilan steps in and says it's not, then Tranquill evolves. The evolution looked a little odd to me, but was still nice.

Swanna vs Unfezant combined with Swanna vs Tranquill was a nice length battle, I suppose it's better for the final battle to be more length then the others but still the others felt a little to quick in my eyes. I liked how Aerial Ace was done, seemed like it's effect was more like the game this time around, Unfezant's eye locks on to Swanna and chases after it. Swanna was kind of in Brave Bird for a while wasn't it. I loved Unfezant's collision against Swanna.

Battle wise, the Swanna battles were nice enough length wise but the others felt too quick to me, but I don't have that much of an issue with it. I enjoyed the battles for the most part, especially Unfezant's.

Overall I enjoyed the episode.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    Unfezant vs Tranquill was yet again quick, although it was due to substitution so not that big of a deal, although Tranquill seemed more exhausted then it should have been, it didn't have that hard a time against Swoobat.
    Tranquill was flying at high speeds trying to dodge and use attacks to defeat Swoobat (even took a hit) and trying to go after Unfezant. That's what exhausted her during the battle. With all of that dodging and high speed, it makes sense why she was exhausted.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Well to be fair, she said that Pikachu would be Ash's main battler since Krokorok and Tranquill wouldn't be enough to win. Unfezant didn't take down Tranquill because Ash used a substitution. She predicted that Tranquill wouldn't be a match for Unfezant and she was right, thus why Ash switched out.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_pokemon View Post
    She was just making up excuses. Skyla was interpreted as such a cocky and arrogant character that it's almost unbelievable.

I wish they had done better job with her.
    I don't think she was all that arrogant, at least no more than the average gym leader. The air battles is what makes everyone scream bloody murder around here. Hell, Dento was more arrogant than she was in their battle.

Tranquill was flying at high speeds trying to dodge and use attacks to defeat Swoobat (even took a hit) and trying to go after Unfezant. That's what exhausted her during the battle. With all of that dodging and high speed, it makes sense why she was exhausted.
    Yes exactly, the fact that Tranquill had to use Quick Attack and still failed to match Unfezant in speed is why she was exhausted. It was more than just using attacks, both Pokemon were showcasing flying ability and Tranquill couldn't keep up.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

And so here is the real Gym Battle stuff. I have to say it was pretty enjoyable. I did enjoy Skyla's little thoughts on how she planned to win. As silly as they were as if she thought she was going to be the main character, oh Skyla you were doomed before you even existed in the anime. But I did enjoy Skyla's crazy cannon entrance. My goodness how long did it take for her to learn and do that right? I don't keep up with the anime so I didn't even know Ash caught that Krokorok. I was surprised to see him call it out which was a pleasant surprise. Of course Skyla had some way take down Pikachu, no surprise there but I did like the fact that Ash got a evolution during the middle of the battle and they didn't pull a "oh it just evolved and is not use to that form and lost" crap. So good job there. The episode didn't disappoint mainly because Skyla was in it again. Oh Skyla, I would say I wish you were on the main cast but then I'd be sick of you be the end of the region. So this is for the best.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

I'm late, but...

I din't like the battles at all, except for pikachu vs Skyla's unfezant and Ash's unfezant vs swanna. Skyla was arrogant as the most part of unovian trainers (I find the most part of them, gym leaders or no, a bunch of posers). Ash's reactions were... the same as ever. Angry looks, gritting teeth, predictable comments... And, by the end, he didn't teach (verbally) something to Skyla and it's just random how she gets fired up from nowhere at the last fight and instantly learns how fun are real battles, but, she probably won't appear again, anyway. I have the feeling she digs her own defeat by making swanna use brave bird so many times.

At all, a decent episode. I give 6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    I did like the fact that Ash got a evolution during the middle of the battle and they didn't pull a "oh it just evolved and is not use to that form and lost" crap. So good job there.
    That's how Ash has Swadloon and Boldore... they also evolved in a gym battle and won Ash the badge (actually Swadloon took out the two not star Pokemon...Pikachu defeated the star in that gym) So I can t you don't keep up that much XD

All in all, some of the blatant brutal displays of power made this episode for me.

- Krokorok vs. Swoobat: At the end there was just so much dust and wind and explosions that I went wtf on multiple occasions because of the sheer epicness.
    - Tranquill vs. Swoobat: Can only remember the Air Cutter, other then that it was unmemorable.
    - Tranquill vs. Unfezant: Completely boring.
    - Pikachu vs. Unfezant: The combinations that Pikachu used in the end were of the sort that I like to see. Iron Tail to the neck, and then wrapping up with Electro Ball.
    - Pikachu vs. Swanna: The hell has been brought down upon Pikachu! Bubblebeam+Hurricane+Bravebird back to back without Pikachu having even a short time to get up, I don't even remember the last time when Pikachu was so devastatingly knocked around. Pikachu getting up after all of that was stupid as there should just have been no way after those moves, and more specifically, without even having had the time to brace itself between the moves.
    - Tranquill vs. Swanna: Gust vs. Hurricane was okay, as I knew where it would lead to.
    - Unfezant vs. Swanna: Good run, good chase. A different set up then a regular battle if you would say, but done well.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

it was a good episode i enjoyed most of the battling between ash and skyla but i was dissapointed by the anime move error.Well hopefully there won't be any for a while.

People wanted so bad to see Skyla but I guess that all changes if she's a know-it-all bimbo. As far as Unfrezant is concern, I think it did a good job. Screw Cilan if he lost and hopefully screw Iris too with Drayden.

Coolest Eevee evolution ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    That's how Ash has Swadloon and Boldore... they also evolved in a gym battle and won Ash the badge (actually Swadloon took out the two not star Pokemon...Pikachu defeated the star in that gym) So I can t you don't keep up that much XD
    Yeah, did I mention I don't keep up anymore? I'd like to again someday when I can get more into it. For now I just jump from episode to episode with game characters I'd like to see and how they are portrayed. Skyla being a huge one for me of course.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast