Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Community POTW #62

>Shuckle can NEVER be used offensively EVER without compromising its defense!

Let's say you use Power Split on a Salamence that has switched into it. Shuckle, at maximum Attack, will have 130 Atk, whereas Salamence will have 405. Average that out, and you get 267.5 for both of them.

This Shuckle can withstand literally anything that Salamence throws at it, even if the Salamence does happen to attack Shuckle. Gyro Ball caps out at 150 base power, which hurts Salamence much more than Salamence hurts Shuckle.

Stone Edge has a base power of what, 120? And it's super effective? Plus STAB? Shuckle has moves to sling around that, were they attached to any other Pokemon, would be considered overpowered in a combination with each other. Imagine Excadrill with that kind of moveset and Shuckle's godawful speed - Gyro Ball 150, Stone Edge 120, Earthquake 100, Swords Dance. With an attack that is actually normal, Shuckle can be a devastating force...but its HP cripples it. If that were increased to the level of, say, a fully evolved, non-Blissey, non-Dusknoir Pokemon chosen at random from the game, Shuckle would be entirely unstoppable for the simple reason that it could not be stopped.

That's probably why its HP is so low ^_^;;

Think, calculate, think more, then post. Otherwise you're just badmouthing Shuckle. Or copypasting from Smogon which is just as bad.

I hear Acupressure sets work really well, but I've never used one. It seems a little iffy to me, personally.

This Shuckle can withstand literally anything that Salamence throws at it, even if the Salamence does happen to attack Shuckle. Gyro Ball caps out at 150 base power, which hurts Salamence much more than Salamence hurts Shuckle.
    However, Gyro Ball has low PP. Same for stone edge.

Yes, it will be doing more damage at a time then Salamence, but it would still be more effective to use moves like toxic.
    Stone Edge has a base power of what, 120?
    No, just 100.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

Just saying, but 267 isn't exactly spectacular attack power either. It's not even enough to OHKO Infernape with Earthquake after Stealth Rock unless you run Life Orb. Power Split is nice because it cripples offensive Pokemon that try to switch into Shuckle, not because it makes Shuckle an offensive force. Even if you can pull it off again and get over 300 Atk, you still just have a fairly strong tank that's slow as Christmas, lacks reliable recovery, and gets worn down easily due to its common weaknesses and vulnerability to most forms of passive damage (especially Stealth Rock).

>Shuckle can NEVER be used offensively EVER without compromising its defense!
    My Defense Curl+Power Split+Power Trick+Rollout set begs to differ!

Well, OK it has no ways of getting past Grounds and Steels, but normal Shuckles have no way of getting past Taunt. (Although I would have lol'ed if GameFreak gave it Magic Coat.) It puts something out there that no one expects.

And btw after Power Trick, Power Split, and 6 Defense Curls, Shuckle has its old Defense, if not more, and has an even larger Attack, with a +6 boost to Rollout because of Defense Curl.

You better have a Regirock or some Ground or Steel-type ready, because Defense Curl+Rollout Shuckle is about to sweep your ***!

I'll be writing this tomorrow (Saturday) at some point so if you have any last Shuckle-themed words.. say them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I'll bo writing this tomorrow (Saturday) at some point so if you have any last Shuckle-themed words.. say them now.
    Pretty much the fact that the 2 sets I posted and Smogon's are the ones that should be up on site.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Skarmory and Forretress are bad examples. They'll both get their jobs done. Forretress will get up rapid spin, stealth rock, spikes, and/or toxic spikes. To make things worse, rapid spin removes wrap.

Skarmory will get up three layers of spikes and use whirlwind to force shuckle to swap out. It can also use roost to make up for the damage taken.
    *facepalm* I forgot about whirlwind and rapid spin cuz most don't realize that rapid spin frees from wrap and I usually run into players that try to brave bird me to death...aka not so smart players

Oh, yes Shuckle. I enjoy sweeping in Ubers with Shuckle. Shuckle is NU for anyone who doesn't know.

Acupressure Stall
    Shuckle@Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy/Contrary
    Nature: Relaxed/Impish/Sassy/Careful
    EVs: 252 HP 28 Def/SpD 228 Def/SpD
    Toxic
    Acupressure
    Rest
    Rollout
    Toxic badly poisons enemies. Rollout will deal with Steels and Poisons after boosting. Rest heals you all the way. Acupressure is amazing because it boosts a random stat(including evasion and accuracy) 2 stages. Rest heals you and removes status. For this set, have a Smeargle Baton Pass Ingrain to your Shuckle. This gives you more healing and prevents a switch due to Whirlwind, Dragon Tail, Circle Throw, or Roar. Smeargle because it is the only Pokemon with Ingrain and BP. Max HP to live longer. Defense and Special Defense should be equal at 553.

Power Trick
    Shuckle@Quick Claw
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs 252 Def 252 SpD 4 HP
    Power Trick
    Gyro Ball
    Earhquake
    Stone Edge
    Power Trick makes Shuckle a glass cannon. Gyro Ball hits anything with a speed stat. Earthquake hits hard and combines well with Stone Edge for coverage. For this set, you want an ally that can use Trick Room or one that can Baton Pass a Substitute and put the opponent to sleep. That means Smeargle, Drifblim, etc. or anything that can learn Trick Room, has good speed, and learns Baton Pass. The Substitute tactic gives you a free turn to KO something. Sleeping opponent might give you another free KO. Sturdy means that at full HP, you will always live through a hit with at least 1 HP, giving you another free KO. Quick Claw gives you extra KOs. Trick Room strategy works by making Shuckle act first. This means that wile you are in Trick Room, unless the foe knows a priority move, you get free KOs. Either tactic can be devastating.
    I EV train, I breed for moves, and I breed for IVs. I have a shiny Lillipup which will be a Sand Rush Stoutland in my future Sandstorm Party. My first fifth generation EV trained party is Chandelure, Carracosta, Ferrothorn, Musharna, Braviary, and Krookodile. I am planning on making Hail, Rain, Sun, and Sandstorm Teams. On a somewhat related note, Shuckle is awesome.

TBH, this is Shuckle's best set, in a UU Sand team.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
    Impish
    Sturdy
    252 HP/Def 4 SpD
    Toxic
    Knock Off
    Stealth Rock
    Power Split

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345