Thread: SwitchForce V2.0: Twin Dancing Dragons

Lightbulb SwitchForce V2.0: Twin Dancing Dragons

...ohai-o...

...so basically, a friend of mine pointed out that although my previous team was reasonably threatening to get past, there was actually not enough offensive pressure placed on him to cause the switches desired...so, I did a little look-over, made a couple of changes i.e. dropped the Eviolite Scyther, which had less of a point on the team than I originally thought, and the Electivire, which, while effective on paper, is still a gimmick in practice -_-... and went back to a strategy I settled on last generation ...well, not so much a strategy, more of a rather nice perk...while still ensuring that I accumulated as many resistances as possible while carrying few weaknesses...

...so, here goes.

SwitchForce: Twin Dancing Dragons.

Steelix (F) @ Leftovers. "Beasteroid"
    Trait: Sturdy.
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Attack/252 Sp. Defense
    Sassy Nature (+Sp. Defense, -Speed).
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Torment
    - Dragon Tail.

"Physically defensive support". With all her resistances, ridiculous physical bulk, Leftovers and Sturdy, Steelix guarantees my Stealth Rocks set up, I'd say, at least 90% of the time. Those Fire, Fighting, Water and Ground weaknesses and Psychic and double Rock resists and Electric immunity should actually make it easier for Gyarados and Tentacruel to switch in and do work if they need to. Torment is there as a surprise for opposing move-spammers, or I could just proceed to shuffle with Dragon Tail, i.e. Taunt-immune pseudo-hazing, or just lay the smack down with a possibly boosted Earthquake, a good STAB move to have.

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge. "Morticia"
    Trait: Liquid Ooze.
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Defense/16 Sp. Attack
    Bold Nature (+Defense, -Attack).
    - Protect
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hex.

"Specially defensive support". Actually really good defensively on both sides, though; she Rapid Spins away hazards and absorbs opposing Toxic Spikes and Toxics, sits there sponging incoming special hits and Protecting for recovery with Black Sludge (to deter Trickers) each other turn, she can burn with Scald (though, again, I won't be completely reliant on that 30% chance; more of a STAB whittler, really) and since a part of my strategy involves spreading paralysis and/or burns, Hex adds a nice touch for some damage. Affords me another Fighting resistance, too, particularly against Drain Punch users, and I think it makes a great lure for Pokes for Hydreigon to damage and/or obliterate, since Hydreigon is immune to two of its weaknesses and resistant to the third, while Tentacruel also resists the Bug and Ice type moves that harangue my dragon so.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers. "UnderTaker"
    Trait: Intimidate.
    EVs: 160 HP/60 Attack/100 Defense/8 Sp. Defense/184 Speed
    Impish Nature (+Defense, -Sp. Attack)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

"Physically offensive support". The first half of the "Dancing Dragons". I only use the term "support" for this guy because he's Impish instead of Adamant and a slight variation on the BulkyGyara spread listed on Smogon, but no less effective to the cause, in my opinion. The large Electric and Rock weaknesses can work well to lure in Steelix fodder for trolling shenanigans; good physical bulk, Intimidate and a Fighting, Fire, Bug and Water resist and a Ground immunity equals some switches and can facilitate Dragon Dance; and from there, STAB Waterfall and EdgeQuake ensures quite decent neutral coverage on the game, either weakening or simply steamrolling through the opposition.

Togekiss (M) @ Shell Bell. "Young Zeus"
    Trait: Serene Grace.
    EVs: 252 HP/128 Defense/128 Sp. Defense
    Modest Nature (+Sp. Attack, -Attack).
    - Thunder Wave
    - Air Slash
    - Aura Sphere
    - Roost.

"Specially offensive support". Slow some stuff down with Thunder Waves, then annoy it to its demise with Air Slash, with added flinch-hax for flavour, or just hit Flying-resistant Pokes with Aura Sphere. He can also act as another lure for Steelix to come in and irritate opponents later on with Torment or Dragon Tail, if Sturdy hasn't been activated, though I won't be completely reliant on that strategy... Roost if they get in damage (which completely changes his weaknesses and resistances for a turn, so more times, damage done would be neutral, which is always fun).

Hydreigon (F) @ Expert Belt. "Violatrix"
    Trait: Levitate.
    EVs: 12 HP/244 Sp. Attack/252 Speed
    Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack).
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast
    - Dark Pulse

"General special offense". Not one of the Dancing Dragons, but she can run effectively alongside either Gyarados or Scrafty as part of the Twin Dragons play...sort of a pseudo-"Dancing Dragon". Lolz. Anyway, two immunities and six resistances shouldn't make it too hard to switch in, especially with Tentacruel possibly luring in opposition with intent to conquer; she's fully immune to Taunt due to her rather belligerent moveset, and she runs full dual STAB with two moves that cover them well neutrally (Dragon-Fire and Fighting-Dark), with Expert Belt to maximise super-effective damage output where it counts. Not much else to report here, I guess all speaks for itself...

Scrafty (M) @ Life Orb. "Kid Raptor"
    Trait: Moxie.
    EVs: 36 HP/220 Attack/252 Speed
    Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Sp. Attack).
    - Dragon Dance
    - Ice Punch
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch.

"General physical offense". The second part of the "Dancing Dragons", he can come in later on a weakened team and use his defenses to set up. He usually only needs to Dance at most twice to outspeed the game, and Moxie works fantastically with the Speed boosts to ensure that precious little can really hold up to its onslaught after a turn or two. Drain Punch for some recovery, which offsets the LO recoil, Crunch for coverage with Drain Punch, and Ice Punch to dispatch Flying STAB-ed opposition.

...so yeah, lemme know what you think. Shalom.
    Last edited by SwitchForceX24; 29th February 2012 at 10:06 PM.
    Our greatest fear is not that we are weak ... it is that we are powerful beyond our very own measure.

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchForceX24 View Post
    ...ohai-o...

...so basically, a friend of mine pointed out that although my previous team was reasonably threatening to get past, there was actually not enough offensive pressure placed on him to cause the switches desired...so, I did a little look-over, made a couple of changes i.e. dropped the Eviolite Scyther, which had less of a point on the team than I originally thought, and the Electivire, which, while effective on paper, is still a gimmick in practice -_-... and went back to a strategy I settled on last generation ...well, not so much a strategy, more of a rather nice perk...while still ensuring that I accumulated as many resistances as possible while carrying few weaknesses...

...so, here goes.

SwitchForce: Twin Dancing Dragons.

Steelix (F) @ Leftovers. "Beasteroid"
    Trait: Sturdy.
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Attack/252 Sp. Defense
    Sassy Nature (+Sp. Defense, -Speed).
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Torment
    - Dragon Tail.

"Physically defensive support". With all her resistances, ridiculous physical bulk, Leftovers and Sturdy, Steelix guarantees my Stealth Rocks set up, I'd say, at least 90% of the time. Those Fire, Fighting, Water and Ground weaknesses and Psychic and double Rock resists and Electric immunity should actually make it easier for Gyarados and Tentacruel to switch in and do work if they need to. Torment is there as a surprise for opposing move-spammers, or I could just proceed to shuffle with Dragon Tail, i.e. Taunt-immune pseudo-hazing, or just lay the smack down with a possibly boosted Earthquake, a good STAB move to have.

steelix is overshadowed by skarmory and ferrothorn, who have less weaknesses and almost match its def. plus they have higher sp def and spikes(and skarmory has whirlwind) ferro would be better as he blocks the same stuff with less weaknesses and more longitivity via leech seed

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge. "Morticia"
    Trait: Liquid Ooze.
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Defense/16 Sp. Attack
    Bold Nature (+Defense, -Attack).
    - Protect
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hex.

"Specially defensive support". Actually really good defensively on both sides, though; she Rapid Spins away hazards and absorbs opposing Toxic Spikes and Toxics, sits there sponging incoming special hits and Protecting for recovery with Black Sludge (to deter Trickers) each other turn, she can burn with Scald (though, again, I won't be completely reliant on that 30% chance; more of a STAB whittler, really) and since a part of my strategy involves spreading paralysis and/or burns, Hex adds a nice touch for some damage. Affords me another Fighting resistance, too, particularly against Drain Punch users, and I think it makes a great lure for Pokes for Hydreigon to damage and/or obliterate, since Hydreigon is immune to two of its weaknesses and resistant to the third, while Tentacruel also resists the Bug and Ice type moves that harangue my dragon so.

not much, drop hex for ice beam, 2hkos dragons while he can take 2-3 outrages

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers. "UnderTaker"
    Trait: Intimidate.
    EVs: 160 HP/60 Attack/100 Defense/8 Sp. Defense/184 Speed
    Impish Nature (+Defense, -Sp. Attack)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

"Physically offensive support". The first half of the "Dancing Dragons". I only use the term "support" for this guy because he's Impish instead of Adamant and a slight variation on the BulkyGyara spread listed on Smogon, but no less effective to the cause, in my opinion. The large Electric and Rock weaknesses can work well to lure in Steelix fodder for trolling shenanigans; good physical bulk, Intimidate and a Fighting, Fire, Bug and Water resist and a Ground immunity equals some switches and can facilitate Dragon Dance; and from there, STAB Waterfall and EdgeQuake ensures quite decent neutral coverage on the game, either weakening or simply steamrolling through the opposition.

ice fang over stone edge, more reliable

Togekiss (M) @ Shell Bell. "Young Zeus"
    Trait: Serene Grace.
    EVs: 252 HP/128 Defense/128 Sp. Defense
    Modest Nature (+Sp. Attack, -Attack).
    - Thunder Wave
    - Air Slash
    - Aura Sphere
    - Roost.

"Specially offensive support". Slow some stuff down with Thunder Waves, then annoy it to its demise with Air Slash, with added flinch-hax for flavour, or just hit Flying-resistant Pokes with Aura Sphere. He can also act as another lure for Steelix to come in and irritate opponents later on with Torment or Dragon Tail, if Sturdy hasn't been activated, though I won't be completely reliant on that strategy... Roost if they get in damage (which completely changes his weaknesses and resistances for a turn, so more times, damage done would be neutral, which is always fun).

jirachi could be more effective as he takes away one of the 3 electric weaknesses you have while previding wish support

Hydreigon (F) @ Expert Belt. "Violatrix"
    Trait: Levitate.
    EVs: 12 HP/244 Sp. Attack/252 Speed
    Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack).
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast
    - Dark Pulse

"General special offense". Not one of the Dancing Dragons, but she can run effectively alongside either Gyarados or Scrafty as part of the Twin Dragons play...sort of a pseudo-"Dancing Dragon". Lolz. Anyway, two immunities and six resistances shouldn't make it too hard to switch in, especially with Tentacruel possibly luring in opposition with intent to conquer; she's fully immune to Taunt due to her rather belligerent moveset, and she runs full dual STAB with two moves that cover them well neutrally (Dragon-Fire and Fighting-Dark), with Expert Belt to maximise super-effective damage output where it counts. Not much else to report here, I guess all speaks for itself...

Scrafty (M) @ Life Orb. "Kid Raptor"
    Trait: Moxie.
    EVs: 36 HP/220 Attack/252 Speed
    Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Sp. Attack).
    - Dragon Dance
    - Ice Punch
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch.

"General physical offense". The second part of the "Dancing Dragons", he can come in later on a weakened team and use his defenses to set up. He usually only needs to Dance at most twice to outspeed the game, and Moxie works fantastically with the Speed boosts to ensure that precious little can really hold up to its onslaught after a turn or two. Drain Punch for some recovery, which offsets the LO recoil, Crunch for coverage with Drain Punch, and Ice Punch to dispatch Flying STAB-ed opposition.

...so yeah, lemme know what you think. Shalom.
    you lack a priority user which could bite you in the a** against a choice scarf user. Terrikion blows through your team, scizor could be used to stop that, ohkos terrikion via bullet punch, i would suggest scarfing hydriegon so you have a revenge killer, dropping dragon pulse for draco meteor
    good luck with your team

I've actually replaced DD Scrafty with Eviolite Gurdurr - "PoundCake", as a means of addressing the priority issues somewhat, 'cos Fighting has about the same coverage as Steel...it's not as strong as Scizor, I know, but I quite like it...so he is now my "Physically offensive support", with Gyara having taken over the "General physical offense" role on the team, being that he is a pseudo-sweeper. Still debating the Ice Fang over Stone Edge thing: more power over more accuracy... Have changed Earthquake for Thunder Wave, though, as a little surprise touch for them fast sweepers...

I've changed Hex to Ice Beam on Tentacruel and Torment for Protect on Steelix, which I only picked over Skarm for its Electric immunity. I appreciate that OU Pokes are OU with good reason, but I do like to mix 'n match...

I don't usually bother with event Pokémon, I have no Shaymin, no Jirachi, no Darkrai and no Zoroark or the like, and frankly I'm not in a rush to get any. That said, I could've run Wish over Roost...totally kicking myself...
    Last edited by SwitchForceX24; 5th March 2012 at 11:48 PM.
    Our greatest fear is not that we are weak ... it is that we are powerful beyond our very own measure.