Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SPPF Reading Club

Default SPPF Reading Club

Hello everyone and welcome to Serebii's own Reading Club! Here we will talk about any reading material that comes to mind, ranging from fanfictions to books to magazines to poems to play scripts. Talk about your favorite or least favorite characters, major or minor. Talk about your favorite or least favorite authors. Talk about the themes of a book. If it has to do with literature, sign up.

Rules
    1. All SPPF Rules Apply
    2. No bashing books or members of the club.
    3. If you, or someone else, are posting a religious book do not go off into a rant about religion. Same goes for politics, science, and other "sensitive" subjects.
    4. If you really enjoyed a book offer a review, but not a summary, of the book.
    5. If you don't enjoy a particular genre or style of writing don't insult the member or author of that particular work.
    6. If posting a magazine, it must be academic in nature.
    7. Don't post with one liners.
    8: Rants are subject to an immediate three strikes.
    9. If you wish to join the club, fill out either sign-up form below.
    10. Have fun!

Sign-Up Forms

HTML Code:
     "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."~ [I]C. S. Lewis[/I]
    [B]Username[/B]:
    [B]Favorite Piece(s) of Literature[/B]:
    [B]Favorite Author(s)[/B]:

Members
        Spoiler:- A book, like a landscape, is a state of consciousness varying with readers."~ Ernest Dimnet:

Reviews
        Spoiler:- "You cannot open a book without learning something."~ Confucius:

Strike Rules
    • One Strike: Warning
    • Two Strikes: Day Ban
    • Three Strikes: Week Ban
    • Four Strikes: Month Ban
    • Five Strikes: Permanent Ban

Book Burners
        Spoiler:- Where books are burned, people will next be burned."~ Heinrich Heine:

SUPPORT THE READING CLUB- Use this to support the club.
    Last edited by Qymaen; 5th June 2012 at 4:47 AM.

Fight Between Warriors: Usopp vs Luffy

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."~ C. S. Lewis
    Username: ShinyRaikou
    Favorite Book(s): The Hunger Games, The Secret Series, The Heroes of Olympus
    Favorite Author(s): Pseudonymous Bosch, Rick Riordan, Suzanne Collins
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Accepted! So why do you like the Hunger Games? I heard it's a good series.

Default Can I join?

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."~ C. S. Lewis

Username: Magical Pokemon
    Favorite Book(s): The Harry Potter series, Cirque Du Freak Series, Vampire Kisses series, and more...
    Favorite Author(s): J.K. Rowling, Darren Shan, Ellen Schreiber, and more...

Favorite Manga/Anime: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni series (When the Cicadas Cry), Sailor Moon, Full Moon wo Sagashite (Searching for the Full Moon), Kodocha (Kodomo no Omocha - Child's Toy), Jigoku Sensei Nube (Heck* Teacher Nube), Marmalade Boy, and more...

Favorite Manga Authors: Ryukishi07 (writer of the manga), Naoko Takeuchi, Arina Tanemura, Miho Obana, Makura Shou, Wataru Yoshizumi, and more...

What am I reading now: The Borrowers (Book 1), and many manga series

I absolutely love reading! It's so much fun!

Credit to whoever made the lovely picture above. Unfortunately, I do not know who made it at this time. The hiragana reads: "Yoseatsume"

I type with only my left hand. If you do so, it is optional for you to copy and paste it in your signature.

I, too, love reading. You are accepted.

Brohoof! /)(\

Username: Whimsicotton

Favorite Book(s): Warriors Series, Hunger Games, The Hobbit, Watership Down, Pride and Prejudice, Brave New World, Animal Farm, 1984, etc etc etc etc etc

Favorite Author(s): Erin Hunter, J.K. Rowling, George Orwell, etc etc etc etc etc

I used to wonder what McDonalds could be - until you shared your ketchup with me
    Big hamburger, tonnes of fries, a beautiful tray, milkshakes with straws, sharing nuggets is an easy feat
    And this ketchup makes it all complete!

Username: cooloolcool
    Favorite Book(s): So many! Do I need to list them all? (FableHaven, Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus, Inheritence Cycle, Maze Runner Trilogy, Hunger Games and many more books)
    Favorite Author(s): the authors of my favorite books.

Quote Originally Posted by Whimsicotton View Post

Username: Whimsicotton

Favorite Book(s): Warriors Series, Hunger Games, The Hobbit, Watership Down, Pride and Prejudice, Brave New World, Animal Farm, 1984, etc etc etc etc etc

Favorite Author(s): Erin Hunter, J.K. Rowling, George Orwell, etc etc etc etc etc
    Happily accepted. I read Animal Farm back in eigth grade. What did you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by cooloolcool View Post
    Username: cooloolcool
    Favorite Book(s): So many! Do I need to list them all? (FableHaven, Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus, Inheritence Cycle, Maze Runner Trilogy, Hunger Games and many more books)
    Favorite Author(s): the authors of my favorite books.
    Accepted.

yay I'm in! Would you like me to make Club userbars?

And has anyone read the Inheritence cycle? I did and found them to be superb books?

yay I'm in! Would you like me to make Club userbars?

And has anyone read the Inheritence cycle? I did and found them to be superb books?
    If you wish to, go ahead.

I don't believe I have. What's it about?

It's about a Boy named Eragon who lives on a farm with his Uncle and Cousin. Then one day he finds a blue stone. After awhile of hiding the stone it hatchs, (Turns out the stone was an egg), into a dragon! Then with someone from the village Eragon and his dragon, named Saphira, head out on an adventure.

I don't want to say anything else for fear of wrecking the plot for people that want ot read it.

The series is 4 big, interesting books.

On a side note, I have a Salamence named Saphira!

I've heard of Eragon. Plenty of my friends have read it over the years. Dunno if I'll actually read it, though. I'm not that into fantasy stories, barring the books of Dr. Seuss.

If it means anything I saw the movie.

Username: Darth_Feraligatr
    Favorite Book(s): The Circle, The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Olympians/The Heroes of Olympus, etc.
    Favorite Author(s): Ted Dekker, J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, C.S. Lewis, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Feraligatr View Post
    Username: Darth_Feraligatr
    Favorite Book(s): The Circle, The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Olympians/The Heroes of Olympus, etc.
    Favorite Author(s): Ted Dekker, J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, C.S. Lewis, etc.
    Accepted. I must say, this is a helluva a lot more successful than my Criminal Minds Club. haha

Read them all. They were okay. Too similar to Star Wars plot-wise and Lord of the Rings character and location name-wise. After I read Inheritance, I felt empty. I read those books over the past ten years and I got that? It drug on too much after the battle, and the final few pages were disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Qymaen View Post
    I've heard of Eragon. Plenty of my friends have read it over the years. Dunno if I'll actually read it, though. I'm not that into fantasy stories, barring the books of Dr. Seuss.

If it means anything I saw the movie.
    You should ignore my above rant. The series actually is better than I make it out to be, it's probably just because I'm rather depressed right now, and so everything I say will be rather negative. But the movie, and this is complete honesty, was absolute garbage. The only films worse than it are The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and The Last Airbender.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Feraligatr View Post
    Read them all. They were okay. Too similar to Star Wars plot-wise and Lord of the Rings character and location name-wise. After I read Inheritance, I felt empty. I read those books over the past ten years and I got that? It drug on too much after the battle, and the final few pages were disappointing.

You should ignore my above rant. The series actually is better than I make it out to be, it's probably just because I'm rather depressed right now, and so everything I say will be rather negative. But the movie, and this is complete honesty, was absolute garbage. The only films worse than it are The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and The Last Airbender.
    No problem, although I doubt I'll read it. I'm more into alternate history and historical fiction books, myself. I like an established universe to work off of. Those and Star Wars.

No problem, although I doubt I'll read it. I'm more into alternate history and historical fiction books, myself. I like an established universe to work off of. Those and Star Wars.
    Then I know the perfect series for you. I just forget what it's called...

I read Animal Farm in 9th grade and loved it. I've also read a part of the Warriors series and loved it. I'm on the 5th book series 1 in The Warriors series. Does anyone here read Japanese books? Of course, I mean translated from Japanese in English or your native language. I've read 2. I've read Chain Mail: Addicted to You by: Hiroshi Ishizaki , and Witches' Forest: The Adventures of Duan Surk (book 1) by: Mishio Fukazawa. I really want to read The Ring (Ringu) by Kouji Suzuki.

In my English IV class we may start reading either Frakenstein by Mary Shelley or The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

Edit:

To Qymaen: Brohoof! (I'm a girl/young lady and I prefer the term pegasister. Brohooves are fun to do in real life!)
    Last edited by Magical Pokemon; 13th March 2012 at 3:59 AM.

Credit to whoever made the lovely picture above. Unfortunately, I do not know who made it at this time. The hiragana reads: "Yoseatsume"

I type with only my left hand. If you do so, it is optional for you to copy and paste it in your signature.

Username: arceus03 (You can call me Arc)
    Favorite Book(s): Percy Jackson series, Cirque du Freak series, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Harry Potter.
    Favorite Author(s): Rick Riordan, Darren Shan. On a slightly older note, Enid Blyton. She pretty much filled my childhood :3

I really loved the CdF series. The whole story was just.... amazing, and everything fell into place neatly. Narnia not as much though

I bought Cloud Atlas and Lord of The Flies a few months back, but I still haven't got the motivation to finish them. XD
    Also patiently waiting for the next installment of Heroes of Olympus. October. Y U no come sooner? >.>

Quote Originally Posted by arceus03 View Post
    Username: arceus03 (You can call me Arc)
    Favorite Book(s): Percy Jackson series, Cirque du Freak series, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Harry Potter.
    Favorite Author(s): Rick Riordan, Darren Shan. On a slightly older note, Enid Blyton. She pretty much filled my childhood :3

I really loved the CdF series. The whole story was just.... amazing, and everything fell into place neatly. Narnia not as much though

I bought Cloud Atlas and Lord of The Flies a few months back, but I still haven't got the motivation to finish them. XD
    Also patiently waiting for the next installment of Heroes of Olympus. October. Y U no come sooner? >.>
    Haha. Accepted. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Pokemon View Post
    I read Animal Farm in 9th grade and loved it. I've also read a part of the Warriors series and loved it. I'm on the 5th book series 1 in The Warriors series. Does anyone here read Japanese books? Of course, I mean translated from Japanese in English or your native language. I've read 2. I've read Chain Mail: Addicted to You by: Hiroshi Ishizaki , and Witches' Forest: The Adventures of Duan Surk (book 1) by: Mishio Fukazawa. I really want to read The Ring (Ringu) by Kouji Suzuki.

In my English IV class we may start reading either Frakenstein by Mary Shelley or The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

Edit:

To Qymaen: Brohoof! (I'm a girl/young lady and I prefer the term pegasister. Brohooves are fun to do in real life!)
    I read Tale of Two Cities when I was younger, albeit a simpler version (Great Illustrated Classics), and I loved it.

Happily accepted. I read Animal Farm back in eigth grade. What did you think of it?
    Late-ish. .3.;;

I really liked it; I did it for a school project a while ago. I'd already studied the Russian Revolution, so I made the connection before I even knew it was based off of that, so my teacher was very proud of me. XD;

I used to wonder what McDonalds could be - until you shared your ketchup with me
    Big hamburger, tonnes of fries, a beautiful tray, milkshakes with straws, sharing nuggets is an easy feat
    And this ketchup makes it all complete!

Username: handymankg2
    Favorite Book(s): Looking for Alaska, Animal Farm, Slaughterhouse-Five and ASoIaF
    Favorite Author(s): John Green, George Orwell, Terry Pratchett and George R R Martin

Reading books is one of my favourite things to do, generally, and while I mostly read YA novels, I'm currently reading through a 'top 100 book' list. At the moment, I'm reading the Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
    Greetings, I'm still a PASBLer.

Quote Originally Posted by handymankg2 View Post
    Username: handymankg2
    Favorite Book(s): Looking for Alaska, Animal Farm, Slaughterhouse-Five and ASoIaF
    Favorite Author(s): John Green, George Orwell, Terry Pratchett and George R R Martin

Reading books is one of my favourite things to do, generally, and while I mostly read YA novels, I'm currently reading through a 'top 100 book' list. At the moment, I'm reading the Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
    Accepted.

YA is young adult right?

Username: Adalricus
    Favorite Book(s): Twilight, the House of Night series, the Gone Series. Alex Rider series.
    Favorite Author(s): P.C Cast, Stephanie Meyer, Christopher Paolini

I read a lot of books before.. but not so much lately.. Don't really know why.

With blood and rage of crimson red, ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.
    Together with our hellish hate, we'll burn you all, that is your Fate!

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    Username: Adalricus
    Favorite Book(s): Twilight, the House of Night series, the Gone Series. Alex Rider series.
    Favorite Author(s): P.C Cast, Stephanie Meyer, Christopher Paolini

I read a lot of books before.. but not so much lately.. Don't really know why.
    Alex Rider is a good series. And I'm sort of the same lately. Just don't have as much time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast