Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SPPF Reading Club

I used to read a lot - now I'm waiting until I get a kindle because the books are half-price, so I think it's easier like that. That and it makes it harder to lose books.

I used to wonder what McDonalds could be - until you shared your ketchup with me
    Big hamburger, tonnes of fries, a beautiful tray, milkshakes with straws, sharing nuggets is an easy feat
    And this ketchup makes it all complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."~ C. S. Lewis
    Username: Adalricus
    Favorite Book(s): Twilight, the House of Night series, the Gone Series. Alex Rider series.
    Favorite Author(s): P.C Cast, Stephanie Meyer, Christopher Paolini

I read a lot of books before.. but not so much lately.. Don't really know why.
    Accepted. Despite my dislike, it may be completely unfounded but eh..., for Twilight I'd like to know what you think of the book series? I assume you think it's really good? What about the movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Whimsicotton View Post
    Late-ish. .3.;;

I really liked it; I did it for a school project a while ago. I'd already studied the Russian Revolution, so I made the connection before I even knew it was based off of that, so my teacher was very proud of me. XD;
    After we read the book the teacher had us do a mock trial where the farm animals where the prosecution, led by Snowball, and Napoleon, and his cronies, were the defendants. I played the role of Napoleon's lawyer. After a few days of trial the jury decided that Napoleon was innocent.

I was the only one out of all of the defense attorneys who proved Napoleon innocent of all crimes against the Farm.
    Last edited by Qymaen; 15th March 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Fight Between Warriors: Usopp vs Luffy

Twilight, huh? I really enjoyed the books, the movies were kinda disappointing though.. but they were good too.

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."~ C. S. Lewis
    Username: Titan500
    Favorite Book(s): Discworld series; Lord of the Rings; The Dark Tower
    Favorite Author(s): Terry Pratchett; J.R.R. Tolkien; Rick Riordan; Stephen King; Issac Asimov
    Favourite Genre(s): Fantasy; Parodies; Sci-Fi
    RPGer Profile
    ~~~~
    [9:09 PM] delilah: achievement unlocked: use the phrase "drop it like it's hot" in my final biology project
    [1:55 AM] gabe: Presumably I don't get ###### rights because I'm English, and am thus expected to say "curse ye to Beelzebub's eternal damnation, knave"

Do my eyes decive me, or is this a reading club?

Username: Nightfall715
    Favorite Book(s): Harry Potter Series & Narnia
    Favorite Author(s): J. K Rowling, whoever the author of Narnia is...
    Favourite Genre(s): Folktales, Adventure, Tragedy
    EPIC SIG HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall715 View Post
    C.S. Lewis. Great man.

Oh my gosh Narnia.

That is the book of my childhood. (Alongside The Hobbit. :P)

I used to wonder what McDonalds could be - until you shared your ketchup with me
    Big hamburger, tonnes of fries, a beautiful tray, milkshakes with straws, sharing nuggets is an easy feat
    And this ketchup makes it all complete!

Username: FireTypeLover
    Favorite Book(s): Inheritance Cycle, (too bad it's too similar to Star Wars plot-wise and it sometimes drags on too long) Harry Potter, Bartimaeus Trilogy, (Google it; my friend introduced the series to me) Percy Jackson series, (it got me interested about Greek mythology) Redwall, (by Redwall, I mean the first book in the series for that's the only one I've read so far) plus many more.
    Favorite Author(s): Rick Riordan, J.K. Rowling, Christopher Paolini, etc.
    Favorite Genre(s): I don't have any favorite genre; I just read whatever's good.
    Favorite Manga: (Magical Pokemon mentioned this for reason, so I shall too) Soul Eater is the best manga I've ever read. That being said, I haven't read much manga. Pokémon Special and a little bit of Shaman King and Bleach are the only others I've read

I also want to point out that as soon as I finish rereading the Inheritance Cycle, I'll be starting the Hunger Games and I'll probably think it'll be one of the best series I've ever read. I hope the series doesn't disappoint me.
    GAMES ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    1st Prize in Caption Contest 7/15/11
    Won a Cool Vuvuzela in Pokémon Assembler!

Currently, I have an obsession with the Litwick line's tendency for sucking souls out.
    Fan Fics Stuff!
    i love pokémon is not only on Serebii, it's now on FanFiction.net!
    Author's Profile

What books do you guys want to read?

I want to read "The Last Unicorn " By: Peter S. Beagle.

Has anyone read it?

Edit:

I finished reading The Borrowers (book 1). Only 4 more to go! LOL I really enjoyed the first book. Although, the ending disappointed me a little - it hinted that something never actually existed.

Favorite genre: romance/ romantic comedy (manga/anime), adventure, paranormal, and fantasy
    Last edited by Magical Pokemon; 18th March 2012 at 1:54 AM.

Credit to whoever made the lovely picture above. Unfortunately, I do not know who made it at this time. The hiragana reads: "Yoseatsume"

I type with only my left hand. If you do so, it is optional for you to copy and paste it in your signature.

I've missed quite a bit. :S

Quote Originally Posted by FireTypeLover View Post
    Username: FireTypeLover
    Favorite Book(s): Inheritance Cycle, (too bad it's too similar to Star Wars plot-wise and it sometimes drags on too long) Harry Potter, Bartimaeus Trilogy, (Google it; my friend introduced the series to me) Percy Jackson series, (it got me interested about Greek mythology) Redwall, (by Redwall, I mean the first book in the series for that's the only one I've read so far) plus many more.
    Favorite Author(s): Rick Riordan, J.K. Rowling, Christopher Paolini, etc.
    Favorite Genre(s): I don't have any favorite genre; I just read whatever's good.
    Favorite Manga: (Magical Pokemon mentioned this for reason, so I shall too) Soul Eater is the best manga I've ever read. That being said, I haven't read much manga. Pokémon Special and a little bit of Shaman King and Bleach are the only others I've read

I also want to point out that as soon as I finish rereading the Inheritance Cycle, I'll be starting the Hunger Games and I'll probably think it'll be one of the best series I've ever read. I hope the series doesn't disappoint me.
    Accepted. Is Redwall a good series? I heard it was.

Do my eyes decive me, or is this a reading club?

Username: Nightfall715
    Favorite Book(s): Harry Potter Series & Narnia
    Favourite Genre(s): Folktales, Adventure, Tragedy
    You're eyes deceive nothing!
    Accepted. Another brony? Brohoof! /)(\

Quote Originally Posted by Titan500 View Post
    Username: Titan500
    Favorite Book(s): Discworld series; Lord of the Rings; The Dark Tower
    Favorite Author(s): Terry Pratchett; J.R.R. Tolkien; Rick Riordan; Stephen King; Issac Asimov
    Favourite Genre(s): Fantasy; Parodies; Sci-Fi
    Accepted.

What books do you guys want to read?
    I'm over halfway through 1633, an alternate history novel that is part of the 1632 series (written by Eric Flint and other authors). Next I'm hoping to finish a few history books (non-fiction) that I've had for some time. After those, or I may switch the order around. *shrug*

Among the three history books, the first is James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era. The second book is about the Thirty Years' War: Europe's Tragedy, written by Peter H. Wilson. The third book is about the early expansion of Islam. It's titled The Great Arab Conquests: How the Spread of Islam Changed the World We Live In and was written by Hugh Kennedy.

As for fiction I'd like to continue the 1632 series as well as continue reading the Crusader Trilogy, as I just finished the first book a couple of weeks ago. Then i've got to continue reading the Fate of the Jedi series as well as finish reading Harry Turtledoves' Colonization series and his Timeline-191 series. Then I've got find a new series of books to read.

I've got a helluva lot of reading to do.

I wanna read the rest of the House of Night serie.

Username: Dangertrout
    Favorite Book(s): I think my favorites would have to be "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul"
    Favorite Author(s): Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Douglas Adams, Michael Crichton, William Shakespeare, and many more...
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me" C.S Lewis
    Username: AwesomeReshiram93
    Favorite Book(s): The Demonata, Heroes Of Olympus basically anything that is a good read
    Favorite Author: Darren Shan

Proud Member Of SPCS
        Spoiler:- Credits And Pokedex Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Qymaen View Post
    Another brony? Brohoof! /)(\
    I do believe you mean Pegasister...

Well, I really want to read the last in the Narnia series. God, im up to the second-to-last one. Great books.
    EPIC SIG HERE

Yay! Another Pegasister! We are as rare as unicorns!

I also want to read "We Can Do" By: Moshe Kai Cavalin

Have you guys heard of this book? It seems really cool. The book is about the author who entered college at age 8 and how we can do anything with hard work.

Credit to whoever made the lovely picture above. Unfortunately, I do not know who made it at this time. The hiragana reads: "Yoseatsume"

I type with only my left hand. If you do so, it is optional for you to copy and paste it in your signature.

I really want to read the Hunger Games. It appears like it's a great series and the movie seems okay too. (Though, you know, movie adaptations are usually horrible.)

About Redwall, the first book at least is a book worthy of its great reception. I'm really not sure about the rest, but the first book is a beautiful book.
    GAMES ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    1st Prize in Caption Contest 7/15/11
    Won a Cool Vuvuzela in Pokémon Assembler!

Currently, I have an obsession with the Litwick line's tendency for sucking souls out.
    Fan Fics Stuff!
    i love pokémon is not only on Serebii, it's now on FanFiction.net!
    Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dangertrout View Post
    Username: Dangertrout
    Favorite Book(s): I think my favorites would have to be "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul"
    Favorite Author(s): Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Douglas Adams, Michael Crichton, William Shakespeare, and many more...
    Accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeReshiram93 View Post
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me" C.S Lewis
    Username: AwesomeReshiram93
    Favorite Book(s): The Demonata, Heroes Of Olympus basically anything that is a good read
    Favorite Author: Darren Shan
    Accepted
    I do believe you mean Pegasister...

Well, I really want to read the last in the Narnia series. God, im up to the second-to-last one. Great books.
    Semantics.

I've also altered the sign-up sheet a little.
    Last edited by Qymaen; 19th March 2012 at 5:06 AM.

I believe it's within my power to bump this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Qymaen View Post
    Accepted.

Accepted

Semantics.

I've also altered the sign-up sheet a little.
    Both Bronies and Pegasisters love magical talking ponies, though.

Anyway, I recently read Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi When they Cry) Eye opening arc volume 3 (#13 in all). Does anyone here watch the anime, read the manga, play the games, or know about the series?

I'm currently reading:

Sailor V volume 2 (prequel to Sailor Moon)

Has anybody here read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie or heard about it ? Its a good read and quite mysterious.

Proud Member Of SPCS

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeReshiram93 View Post
    Has anybody here read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie or heard about it ? Its a good read and quite mysterious.
    I've heard of it, but haven't gotten around to reading any Agatha Christie novels. I really should pick up a couple, seeing as I really enjoyed the Poirot mysteries I saw on TV. Have you read a lot of her books? If so, could you recommend a good one involving Poirot to start off with?
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangertrout View Post
    I've heard of it, but haven't gotten around to reading any Agatha Christie novels. I really should pick up a couple, seeing as I really enjoyed the Poirot mysteries I saw on TV. Have you read a lot of her books? If so, could you recommend a good one involving Poirot to start off with?
    You should then read Murder On The Orient Express. Heard of it but I haven't found a copy to read.

Proud Member Of SPCS

Who or what is Poirot? Is he a dectective in a murder mystery series?

I'm currently reading:
    Codename: Sailor V volume 2 (Sailor Moon prequel)
    The Tale of Two Cities by: Charles Dickens (for my high school English IV class)

I guess I'll continue the "what I'm currently reading" topic, seeing as I can't answer the above question and never got into Agatha Christie.

Chosen - Ted Dekker, and The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins. There's several others, most notably The Two Towers, but I've only gotten around forty pages in them.

Also, are there any books that any of you are waiting to be released this year? So far just three for me: Mortal by Ted Dekker, and The Mark of Athena and The Serpent's Shadow both by Rick Riordan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast