Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SPPF Reading Club

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Pokemon View Post
    Who or what is Poirot? Is he a dectective in a murder mystery series?

I'm currently reading:
    Codename: Sailor V volume 2 (Sailor Moon prequel)
    The Tale of Two Cities by: Charles Dickens (for my high school English IV class)
    Hercule Poirot is a detective in some of Agatha Christie's novels. (Yes, murder mysteries) His character is pretty fun. I located our Agatha Christie coolection, but Murder on the Orient Express is missing >.< BUT! I found And Then There Were None, so I'll read that instead. Well once I'm done my current stuff. Right now I'm re-reading a Harlequin For Boys Dragonlance trilogy (Legends). The first book is going really slow, because a certain character is being a pain in the butt right now. It should start picking up soon though. Dragonlance aren't the greatest literary pieces, but they are fun once in a while. Kind of like candy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Feraligatr View Post
    I guess I'll continue the "what I'm currently reading" topic, seeing as I can't answer the above question and never got into Agatha Christie.

Chosen - Ted Dekker, and The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins. There's several others, most notably The Two Towers, but I've only gotten around forty pages in them.

Also, are there any books that any of you are waiting to be released this year? So far just three for me: Mortal by Ted Dekker, and The Mark of Athena and The Serpent's Shadow both by Rick Riordan.
    Alright, what exactly is "The Hunger Games"? I keep seeing people post about it, but I've never heard of it. (I had stopped reading for a few years, so I'm still catching up on the piles I had accumulated in that time. I've barely looked at anything new)
    Last edited by Dangertrout; 28th March 2012 at 4:43 PM.
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangertrout View Post
    Alright, what exactly is "The Hunger Games"? I keep seeing people post about it, but I've never heard of it. (I had stopped reading for a few years, so I'm still catching up on the piles I had accumulated in that time. I've barely looked at anything new)
    I'm not entirely sure either. I'm only on chapter three, and I can't get an explanation from anyone. My brother tries to explain it, but ends up on a tangent about how the movie better be good (which it apparently is) and then he tries to force me to read it. I'm only reading it because my family and I will probably see the movie soon. But from what I've gathered it's a story of rebellion against tyranny. The Hunger Games themselves are a sport where two teens, one boy and one girl, from each of the twelve districts of the country (whatever it's called) are thrust into battle against each other. It reminds me of Battle Royale. So twenty four youths fight to the death. The remaining survivor wins and is given glory. Why this is done eludes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Feraligatr View Post
    I'm not entirely sure either. I'm only on chapter three, and I can't get an explanation from anyone. My brother tries to explain it, but ends up on a tangent about how the movie better be good (which it apparently is) and then he tries to force me to read it. I'm only reading it because my family and I will probably see the movie soon. But from what I've gathered it's a story of rebellion against tyranny. The Hunger Games themselves are a sport where two teens, one boy and one girl, from each of the twelve districts of the country (whatever it's called) are thrust into battle against each other. It reminds me of Battle Royale. So twenty four youths fight to the death. The remaining survivor wins and is given glory. Why this is done eludes me.
    The Hunger Games are held as a punishment for a rebellion against the tyrants of Pallem (the name of the country). I'm checking the book out to read it and see why its so liked.

Proud Member Of SPCS
        Spoiler:- Credits And Pokedex Progress:

this is awsome!!!
    Username:Victinirules
    Fave book(s):the Hunger Games,The Eternal ones,the outcasts of 19 schuyler place
    Fave authour(s):kristen Miller

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeReshiram93 View Post
    Has anybody here read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie or heard about it ? Its a good read and quite mysterious.
    i did, but i didnt find a copy yet

I finished reading Codename Sailor V: Volume 2! It was awesome!

Currently reading:
    Sailor Moon Volume 2
    A Tale of Two Cities by: Charles Dickens

Credit to whoever made the lovely picture above. Unfortunately, I do not know who made it at this time. The hiragana reads: "Yoseatsume"

I type with only my left hand. If you do so, it is optional for you to copy and paste it in your signature.

i'm leaving.......too bad,i like this place

Cool, a reading club. I love reading. I abide by the rules set by the creator of this thread.

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."~ C. S. Lewis
    Username: Missingno&Cubone
    Favorite Piece(s) of Literature: Warriors (cats), Harry Potter, P.G. Woodhouse books.
    Favorite Author(s): Erin Hunter, J.K. Rowling
    フェージングのエコー

Name: CoolAceKira
    Fave Books: The Dark Tower saga, The Rainbow Trilogy (Rainbow Boys, Rainbow High, and Rainbow Road), Atlas Shrugged, Stargirl, Good Omens.
    Fave Author: Stephen King
    Welcome to the dungeon, little girl. We've got fun and games.

I have read:
    Kingdom Hearts manga volume 1 (I was curious about the series) (I've played the GBA game, but I couldn't finish it. I plan to get the first game in the series. I love the concept of mixing anime and Disney together.)

I'm reading:
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (Yes, I'm still reading this for my English class)

I'm going to read:
    Sailor Moon manga volume 2 (I still haven't read this, because I haven't had time since I'm about to graduate high school.)
    Many many other books and manga

Credit to whoever made the lovely picture above. Unfortunately, I do not know who made it at this time. The hiragana reads: "Yoseatsume"

I type with only my left hand. If you do so, it is optional for you to copy and paste it in your signature.

I have read:
    Kingdom Hearts manga volume 1 (I was curious about the series) (I've played the GBA game, but I couldn't finish it. I plan to get the first game in the series. I love the concept of mixing anime and Disney together.)

I'm reading:
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (Yes, I'm still reading this for my English class)

I'm going to read:
    Sailor Moon manga volume 2 (I still haven't read this, because I haven't had time since I'm about to graduate high school.)
    Many many other books and manga

Have you ever gone back and read something you really liked ages ago? Except when you read it the second time, it's nothing like you remember? I've been re-reading some Dragonlance books (which I liked in high school) and it occurs to me that I have horrible memory retention. Specifically, Legends Vol 1: Time of the Twins is nothing like I remember. I have a feeling I skimmed 75% of that book the first time 'round >.< I'm gonna read a couple more trilogies from this series, but I'm thinking it may be time to retire / donate the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangertrout View Post
    Have you ever gone back and read something you really liked ages ago? Except when you read it the second time, it's nothing like you remember? I've been re-reading some Dragonlance books (which I liked in high school) and it occurs to me that I have horrible memory retention. Specifically, Legends Vol 1: Time of the Twins is nothing like I remember. I have a feeling I skimmed 75% of that book the first time 'round >.< I'm gonna read a couple more trilogies from this series, but I'm thinking it may be time to retire / donate the collection.
    It's possible you only remembered the good parts and forgot the rest of the book. As for myself...I can't reread books. It seems pointless if I already know the plot and ending.

Fight Between Warriors: Usopp vs Luffy

heh, except I think I managed to forget the entire book. All my memories seem to be in book 3 of the series. I shouldn't be surprised. I've read tons of books since then >.<

Ooooh, I'm in!

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."~ C. S. Lewis
    Username: MooseSmuggler
    Favorite Piece(s) of Literature: None, really. I'm not the "pick favorites" type. I like almost everything I read. I stick mostly to fantasy though.
    Favorite Author(s): Same as above. I intend to become an author, though :B

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

Spoiler:- Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSmuggler View Post
    Ooooh, I'm in!

Username: MooseSmuggler
    Favorite Piece(s) of Literature: None, really. I'm not the "pick favorites" type. I like almost everything I read. I stick mostly to fantasy though.
    Favorite Author(s): Same as above. I intend to become an author, though :B
    Accepted.

An author? Do you have ideas in the works yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Accelgor X View Post
    Username: Accelgor X
    Favorite Piece(s) of Literature: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Inheritance Cycle
    Favorite Author(s): Seth-Graham Smith, Christopher Paolini

Hello, while poking around the clubs section I found this, I'm no the sort of person to always have a book on the go and I tend to take books slowly and procrastinate a lot, but I do like to read occasionally. I've just Started on 'The Innocent Mage' by Karen Miller. Pretty good so far, but I'm not far enough into it to have formed a proper opinion.

Since there aren't any reviews just now I might cook up an Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter review at some point, but I'm writing up an RP character sign up just now so if I do it'll be later.
    Accepted.
    I've heard of that Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, what is it about?

Quote Originally Posted by Qymaen View Post
    Accepted.

An author? Do you have ideas in the works yet?
    Nothing concrete. I'm probably gonna do fantasy novels, both standard and modern. I'm even taking up archery to learn how to write archery scenes more realistically...and possibly some form of swordplay to do sword fights (chew)

My writing blog

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSmuggler View Post
    Nothing concrete. I'm probably gonna do fantasy novels, both standard and modern. I'm even taking up archery to learn how to write archery scenes more realistically...and possibly some form of swordplay to do sword fights (chew)
    Sounds cool. Is it more of a novel or a novella? Either way I'd love to read it. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Qymaen View Post
    Sounds cool. Is it more of a novel or a novella? Either way I'd love to read it. Best of luck.
    Sorry for the *checks*...whoa, nearly month-long delay, but to answer your question, I've gotten a few concrete ideas to work with:

I'm most likely going to do a novel series that takes place in the steam-punk era, probably 3-5 books, and between them, release a mini-novel that takes place in a more standard fantasy environment that would be Kindle-exclusive (apparently with the increase in e-book usage, authors in other genres are expected to do that kind of stuff, and while fantasy authors don't seem to have that kind of pressure, I wouldn't mind doing it anyway). I have some plot ideas in the works for the steam-punk series, but I'm a little cautious explaining. I doubt anyone, especially here, would steal my ideas, but I'm a little paranoid (doesn't help that my brother once had an idea for a film stolen by his own best friend). Just know that I AM working on it, and I'll provide ways to keep track of my progress in my sig.

Anyway, I suppose I should stop talking about my writing and talk about actually reading, eh? Hrm...I guess the only thing I can really say is that, lately, I haven't read too much, sadly. I did finish Eragon (the first book of the Inheritance Cycle), and started on Eldest (the second book). I should aim to have Eldest read by the end of the summer, but I also want to have the shell for my conlang (to be used in my novel) done as well. I really need to stop being so easily distracted xD

My writing blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123