Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacifidlog Jam! (393)

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Doubleslap isn't exactly an attack noted for its destructive power...unless you count that one frightening Wigglytuff that KO'd Brock I suppose. Yeesh >.>;

rofl...don't forget the smack down it gave Watts' Ampharos..

I'm kinda done with Assist being May/Skitty's saving grace. Maybe she should try teaching it something else. How about Thunderbolt? Skitty seems to like weird attacks like that.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Well, what the hell else could she have used? Blizzard wouldn't have been any help against either of her opponents and Doubleslap isn't exactly an attack noted for its destructive power...unless you count that one frightening Wigglytuff that KO'd Brock I suppose. Yeesh >.>;
    ...damn, I never realised how limited Skitty is when it comes to a variety of moves. If it didn't have Assist, it would be one boring pokémon.
    The only problem I have with Assist is just how random the whole thing is. Therefore it's fair to say that May's battles are based on luck and less so with skill, which won't win her tournaments if she were to constantly rely on it. But of course it's just a cartoon so it's not like they're gonna make that her downfall now, or will they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    The only problem I have with Assist is just how random the whole thing is. Therefore it's fair to say that May's battles are based on luck and less so with skill, which won't win her tournaments if she were to constantly rely on it.
    Not necessarily. Assist isn't so completely random--Eneko is only able to perform attacks that the rest of the pokemon in Haruka's team are able to. The pokemon's limited to about the twelve moves or so that her other three teamates know, so the outcome of Assist are finite. Because of this, Haruka is able to determine which attacks Eneko is able to perform, and can plan her strategies accordingly. Judging from a comment she made in part one, I think that's exactly what she's done--she figured out (probably with Takeshi's help) a way to follow-up every attack that Eneko could produce while using Assist.

If/when she catches Gonbe, I'm sure that she'll be able to figure in, say, Rest or Stomp into the picture.

So I'd argue that Assist isn't awarding Haruka any "luck" victories at all. The move is random, yes, but it requires Haruka to be able to think on her feet, which requires much more skill than people seem to think Haruka possesses.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Judging from a comment she made in part one, I think that's exactly what she's done--she figured out (probably with Takeshi's help) a way to follow-up every attack that Eneko could produce while using Assist.
    Word. So Assist isn't just pure luck like one would think. It requires a lot of preparation on the trainer's part and quick judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    Not necessarily. Assist isn't so completely random--Eneko is only able to perform attacks that the rest of the pokemon in Haruka's team are able to. The pokemon's limited to about the twelve moves or so that her other three teamates know, so the outcome of Assist are finite. Because of this, Haruka is able to determine which attacks Eneko is able to perform, and can plan her strategies accordingly. Judging from a comment she made in part one, I think that's exactly what she's done--she figured out (probably with Takeshi's help) a way to follow-up every attack that Eneko could produce while using Assist.

If/when she catches Gonbe, I'm sure that she'll be able to figure in, say, Rest or Stomp into the picture.

So I'd argue that Assist isn't awarding Haruka any "luck" victories at all. The move is random, yes, but it requires Haruka to be able to think on her feet, which requires much more skill than people seem to think Haruka possesses.
    I didn't say it was pure luck and more to the fact I wasn't denying May's ability as coordinator either, but I do think that within her arsenal of moves, say the possible 12 you suggested, there are some which will work to her advantage in certain situations and others that wont, quite naturally of course. Say for example she was up against a bug type, and decided to use Assist in order to hopefully pull of one of Combusken's fire-type attacks, but ended up with a grass-type attack such as Razor Leaf instead, wouldn't work to her advantage then now would it.

I'm ok with the move itself, and I'm not ignoring May's talent but I wouldn't want her to make a habbit of it, just incase it does go wrong when the moments critical. It's hard to be consistent, which is what's required for winning such tournaments, while using moves on a regular basis that produce inconsistent results.

We won't be seeing Eriko again correct? Now that she lost her chance to get her final ribbon, there's no way she can enter the Grand Festival. It's probably why they had Eriko apologize, there's no way they could have kept her if May was to win.

jynx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Murgatroyd, I know you know a hell of a lot more about the Japanese language than I do, but... eh, are you *sure* that he's saying 'I like it'? He appears to say 'Yaski desu ne', or something like that. I'm not sure what 'yaski' means, but 'desu ne' pretty much means 'isn't it?', doesn't it? o.o; *confused* I always thought it meant something like 'Remarkable/Great isn't it?' or something.

Gah, I'm most likely making an a*s of myself, but I thought I'd ask.
    Ashiki desu ne?

Ashiki means horrible.

That's the closest I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    We won't be seeing Eriko again correct? Now that she lost her chance to get her final ribbon, there's no way she can enter the Grand Festival. It's probably why they had Eriko apologize, there's no way they could have kept her if May was to win.
    We might see her at the Grand Festival in a show of support for May... we might see some of her other rivals from the past as well, who knows...
    "Psychos... they always love comics." - Det. Elliot Stabler.

I think that she should have used a more variety of pokemon rather than just skitty. Each pokemon got a time to shine so the fifth one should have been a shared spotlight, or maybe May should have caputred Munchlax before the contest and used it instead.

Im glad that my favorite pokemon was only brought down because of luck (well, partially). But as far as Im concerned Jynx>>>>>>>>Skitty any day. But I cant say that Im not Proud of May. Hopefully Jynx will get her rematch in the Grand festival or The next region..
    A Championship Battle
    FINISHED: Johto's top psychic trainer and the granddaughter of an Elite Four member go head to head for the Silver Cup championship. Features underused pokemon including Tropius, Slowking, and my personal favorite, Jynx

This story is too fleshed out and completed in my head for me not to finish it. I'm determined to finish my first real, fleshed out fiction. And I'll wait until it's done before posting it. Chapters 6/18.

^^^ Sums it up pretty much.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    Say for example she was up against a bug type, and decided to use Assist in order to hopefully pull of one of Combusken's fire-type attacks, but ended up with a grass-type attack such as Razor Leaf instead, wouldn't work to her advantage then now would it.
    The same thing pretty much happened in this episode--the attack kept producing grass-type attacks against Rougela, who's an ice-type. Haruka's strategy seems to be that if she doesn't get a good attack the first go around, hurry up and use it again and again until you get the desired results.

I'm ok with the move itself, and I'm not ignoring May's talent but I wouldn't want her to make a habbit of it, just incase it does go wrong when the moments critical. It's hard to be consistent, which is what's required for winning such tournaments, while using moves on a regular basis that produce inconsistent results.
    Unfortunately, with Eneko, she'll have to rely on Assist. I'll bring up Rougela again--Eneko's Blizzard wouldn't have done jack squat against the pokemon. Tackle? Not too effective. Doubleslap? Nah, that won't do so much either. As far as Haruka is concerned, Assist is the only attack of Eneko's that can be of any use against such an opponent.

By the way, was anyone else surprised when Satoshi just showed up in the audience all of a sudden? He actually watched Haruka's later matches, which surprised me since, if the next episode preview is any indication, Yukiwarashi hasn't mastered Ice Beam yet.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

I'm pretty tired of assist. Besides, Skitty wouldn't be strong enough to use many of those attacks to their full advantage.

I would have laughed for a good five minutes if Houndoom ate Skitty and slurped up her tail like spagetti.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Meowth changes into a WAILORD costume? Please get a decent pic of it! ^__^

Misty4ever Guest

So cheap battle. I didn`t like it.

How did she win that? Her Skitty won with strong Houndoom and Jynx. Little Skitty!
    Do they really have to show so cheap battles? Maybe her Skitty has a magical power from a moon? Sorry but it is very silly...

Next time if she use a Skitty against Metagross, she will win. Skitty rules > >

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Murgatroyd, I know you know a hell of a lot more about the Japanese language than I do, but... eh, are you *sure* that he's saying 'I like it'? He appears to say 'Yaski desu ne', or something like that. I'm not sure what 'yaski' means, but 'desu ne' pretty much means 'isn't it?', doesn't it? o.o; *confused* I always thought it meant something like 'Remarkable/Great isn't it?' or something.

Gah, I'm most likely making an a*s of myself, but I thought I'd ask.
    Looks like the crash ate my reply.

I hear it as Aa, suki desu ne.
    Aa is one of those words without much meaning. In English, it can often be rendered as something along the lines of "ah" or "well".
    Suki desu is generally translated as "I like it", though technically it is saying that the item in question has the property of being liked, rather than making a statement about the speaker.
    Ne is a sentence-ending particle indicating the expectation that the listener will agree with the speaker's statment.

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

jynx Guest

Is there still no episode guide yet? =.=

Wow. We should all use Skittyssist movesets on our teams. It looks easy to win. o_o

"Please don't look at me that way, I'm a very shy little girl!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grovyle
    Wow. We should all use Skittyssist movesets on our teams. It looks easy to win. o_o
    The anime can make anything look easy with any pokemon... the limits that we face in the games don't seem to have as much bearing in the anime world.
    "Psychos... they always love comics." - Det. Elliot Stabler.

I know, I know, I was just kidding. XP

Seriously, I don't think that picture in V Faction's last post could be any more true. That Skitty must emit a god-like aura, much like Ash's team used to back in Kanto. They seem to like making it easier for newbie trainers to rank up victories. Hopefully in future arcs Haruka will get slapped with some reality checks like they've been doing to Ash all through this arc.

Not that I hate Haruka or anything, just seems she's been having it really easy.

"Please don't look at me that way, I'm a very shy little girl!"

jynx Guest

She quite depends on luck...

(IS THERE NO EPI GUIDE YET!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?)

Hales Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jynx
    (IS THERE NO EPI GUIDE YET!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?)
    Apparently not... be patient, your not the only one who has to wait for them

Quote Originally Posted by Grovyle
    Seriously, I don't think that picture in V Faction's last post could be any more true.
    All credit goes towards Gravy for making that dose of reality.

And this Episode Guide business is getting a little out of hand. How far behind is it now?
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

jynx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hales
    Apparently not... be patient, your not the only one who has to wait for them
    ahhhhhh.....I'm dying...ahhhhh....
    How come it took so long? Part1 was there like within a week??

(crowd: how old are you? =.= )

Hales Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jynx
    ahhhhhh.....I'm dying...ahhhhh....
    How come it took so long? Part1 was there like within a week??

(crowd: how old are you? =.= )
    No don't die, please don't *desperately* I don't know why it's taking so long *shrug*

I'm old... like 25 years old, old!

jynx Guest

sorry, I didn't meant to ask how old you are :P

What I meant was I was not acting like the age I should be :P
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ...you know, when you get addicted to Pokemon, its like taking drugs, and you get really not well when you not get the right amount of drugs? (I learnt this from science)

So ya, now I'm addicted to Pokemon, and I NEED INJECTION OF POKEMON STUFF
    *cries*

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast