Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Game Show Club

Default The Game Show Club

Game shows. One of the big genres of television. Big prizes, great contestants, and so much more. Serebii has not had a place to discuss those shows, past or present... until now.

Welcome to the Game Show Club. The place to discuss the winners, the moments, and most importantly, the games themselves.

THE RULES
    1. All main forum rules, including club forum rules, apply.
    2. Please try not to go insulting a bad contestant, bad format, etc.
    3. I will allow thoughts, whether positive or negative, to be given on various shows; just try not to go overboard; see rule 2.
    4. Try to keep text legible. It helps if we can make sense of what you're saying.
    5. Keep discussion related to game shows, although since reality shows are in effect a subgenre of game shows, I will tolerate discussion about those.
    6. If you are going to talk about a BIG event in a game show that has not occured yet (e.g. somebody wins a million dollars/pounds/euros/whatever), PLEASE use spoilers. Some of us would prefer not to have the fun ruined.

HOW TO JOIN

Please fill out the form below if you would like to join the club:

Favorite game show/why?: I honestly think a good sentence or two explaining why you like a given show should suffice.
    Favorite host/why?: Same as above.

The founder of this club reserves the right to change these rules and the joining form as necessary.

WHAMMIES

We all break rules sometimes, but they can't always go unpunished. Thus, I bring you whammies. Break a rule, and you get one whammy. This can vary based on the rule broken.

Here is how the whammies work:

1 Whammy: Warning
    2 Whammies: 2 day Ban from Club
    3 Whammies: 1 Week Ban
    4 Whammies: Fortnight (2 week) Ban
    5 Whammies: 1 Month Ban
    6 Whammies: 2 Month Ban
    7 Whammies: Permaban

I will also post game show news as it comes up, and these can be used as grounds for discussion.

The first discussion topic (which, depending on when this topic is approved, could be game-show news related) will be posted if and when this topic is approved.

Thank you for reading through these rules!

ADDENDUM:

MEMBERS:

doctorwho2010 (owner)
    maz2468
    abrar14
    SakuraLatias
    Dark Searchman
    Mon1010
    Mug
    CLAIM-A-GAME

You may now claim your favorite game show.

RULES:
    1. Only one person may claim a show at any given time.
    2. You must wait 15 days to change your claim.
    3. The claim form is as follows:

USERNAME - NAME OF SHOW - CURRENT DATE (MM-DD-YYYY)

THE CLAIM LIST:

Dark Searchman - Let's Make a Deal - 04-08-12
    Mug - Match Game - 04-24-12
    Last edited by Twentington; 25th April 2012 at 2:35 AM.
    3DS FC: 0302-0291-6804

Move along, nothing to see here.

We've been approved! First discussion topic:

The British quiz Weakest Link aired its' last episode this past Saturday. What are your thoughts on the series coming to an end?

Favorite game show/why?: My Favorite Game Show would have to be Wipeout, because TBH, who doesn't like seeing people getting hit by a giant ball into the water.
    Favorite host/why?: Favorite host would have to be Drew Carey from the Price is Right, for several reasons. One, its cool to see him after Whose line is it Anyway. And Plus, he seems to have lost some weight.

For your question, i have never seen or heard about it before, i will look it up though.
    Signiture Underconstruction

And you are approved. Welcome to the club!

Favorite game show/why?: If it's one thats still running it's deal or no deal, if it can be an old one it's crystal masze:P i Used to love that
    Favorite host/why?: I have a lot though it's probably Chris Tarrant :/
    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

Any game show, old or new, is fair game, so you're in, abrar.

Favorite game show/why?: Tie between Deal or No Deal and Family Feud Those two are still my favorites, still watching them. Too bad that are the re-runs.
    Favorite host/why?: I have a lot though, probably the new host of Family Feud, Steve Harvey He's funny as a new host, I like him.

EDIT: About your question, I used to watch it, now I don't anymore.
    Last edited by SakuraLatias; 2nd April 2012 at 11:30 PM.

IV's: 28/31/31/x/31/31
    ..Credit of this image goes to me..

SakuraLatias, the only problem with your application is that you did not mention why the shows you mentioned and the host you mentioned are your favorites. Could you edit that post to mention why any of those are your favorites? Once you do that, I can let you in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorwho2010 View Post
    SakuraLatias, the only problem with your application is that you did not mention why the shows you mentioned and the host you mentioned are your favorites. Could you edit that post to mention why any of those are your favorites? Once you do that, I can let you in the club.
    Fixed the errors. Sorry about that. D:

IV's: 28/31/31/x/31/31
    ..Credit of this image goes to me..

You're good now, application accepted.

Favorite game show/why?: Deal or No Deal. It sounds so simplistic, yet each game played can feel completely different from the last. I hope it gets brought back if it's been stopped.
    Favorite host/why?: Definitely Gene Rayburn. Anyone who can handle wacko celebrities like he did deserves a few internets.

Definitely agree with you there. Welcome to the club!

NEWS:

MTV is bringing back Hollywood Squares... as Hip-Hop Squares.

Thoughts?

My problems with this idea is that it'll be catered too much toward a hip-hop/R&B audience and that they'll go overboard with the sexual innuendos.

By the way...

Dark Searchman - Let's Make a Deal - 04-08-12

I was starting to lose hope for a couple days there.

Claim approved, Dark Searchman.

NEWS:

The British game show The Chase is being piloted by Fox for a potential run here in the States. Thoughts?

IMO, this is good and bad at the same time. I LOVE watching the original British show on YouTube, but one of my problems is the network it's being piloted for. Fox doesn't have a very good reputation with game shows, but then again, pretty much all the networks don't. NBC promoted Deal or No Deal to the ends of the Earth, and butchered 'Who's Still Standing?'. CBS hasn't had a primetime game show since Million Dollar Password 3 years ago, and still hasn't done anything about their pilot for The Cube.
    ABC put Million Dollar Mind Game up against football and put You Deserve It in primetime. Fox goes cancelling shows without prior notice, especially game shows. Case in point: Our Little Genius. I don't know what else to say, so I leave it to the members of this club to figure out what they think of this.

OTHER NEWS THAT I FORGOT TO EDIT IN:

Remember Press Your Luck? You might remember that, but there are probably very few people here that have heard of its 'prototype', so to speak, Second Chance. Up until Thursday, only Pilot 3 and audio of the finale existed. That is, until THIS was unearthed Wednesday, amazing most of the game show community. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Twentington; 8th April 2012 at 11:43 PM.

At least they're not bringing back Newlywed Game and putting in other game shows talking about love/sex like GSN has been doing. And why bring back older seasons of DWTS? It's not like other networks don't show them.

And CBS doesn't need primetime game shows. TPIR and LMAD bring in plenty of dough anyway. As long as they throw in an occasional primetime special for TPIR, I don't mind. Although I wished they still did Gameshow Marathon, because I thought that was fun. If they were to bring back Match Game, I'd be fine with it as long as they didn't push the sex references too much.

I thought NBC had a nice idea for It's Worth What?, they just needed contestants to win more money than they did. I also wonder if DOND is going to do something for its 10th anniversary; it's a ways away, but one can still think about it.

And I'll agree with you that Fox has a worse habit of cancelling game shows than NBC. I mean, what could've happened that made them cancel Greed? That was cool.

Favorite Game Show: I actually liked the Weakest Link. I liked watching a british lady insult people for not banking when they should have, or getting a simple question wrong. :P

I also like Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader. It was a good premise, it showed how useless some of the stuff they teach these kids actually is. xD

Favorite Host: Regis Philbin, nuff said. Too bad he retired. I also like Jeff Foxworthy.
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 10th April 2012 at 3:45 AM.

Accepted.

SUPER ULTRA $100,000 BREAKING NEWS:

It's a sad day for game show fans everywhere. Dick Clark, host of Pyramid, American Bandstand, and multiple other shows, has passed away at age 83.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I knew it was going to happen eventually, but not this soon!! He's going to be missed dearly.

Wow, totally. He was a big persona throughout the 70s and 80s. It has been a long time coming, but still... RIP Dick Clark.

Yeah. We're all going to miss him.

NEWS:

Cash Cab has been cancelled by Discovery Channel. Thoughts?

I actually enjoyed it. I'm surprised they cancelled it, to be more than honest.

What did it have to do with Discovery?

I've seen the show, and it's not bad, I just question why it's on the Discovery channel.

In a nutshell: Network Decay.

RIP.

Also i want to ask you americans if you get the channel called challenge in america. Its bassically a chanel dedicated to gameshows
    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

No, but we do have a channel called GSN, which ironically tries as hard as they can NOT to air game shows. They even tried reality shows, and worse, reruns of 'Dancing with the Stars', which is basically our version of Strictly Come Dancing for you Brits out there. They're even mentioned in that Network Decay article I linked to above.

Challenge seems better than GSN right now. For one, they actually air older game shows, which WAS the whole point of GSN at one point before network decay kicked in. For another thing, international game shows? Wow. And the fact that their original productions are actually pretty good as far as I can tell.

Basically, Challenge would be my model example of how to run a game show network.

I watch some of the british shows on YouTube. I'm so happy that The Chase is getting a chance here in the states. Other shows make me realize that Great Britain is so much more competent when it comes to game shows. There's still some decent formats over there. Here in the US, the genre's running out of steam.

RANDOM BRITISH GAME SHOW TRIVIA:

Countdown actually had a pilot made for a potential US run. Unfortunately, they tacked on too many gimmicks, and completely left out the numbers round.

They air Game Shows on GSN. Just during the day when you kids are at school.

Lingo
    Whammy
    Repeats of Game Shows from the 70's like Card Sharks.
    Family Fued
    Deal or No Deal (They repeat these last two way too much.) :/

What I meant to say was that their lineup's gone downhill in the past few years. They used to air The Price is Right, of all things.

Among other shows, they also aired the Joker's Wild. Just look at the list of shows they used to air.

(regarding Feud and Deal; couldn't agree with you more, but then again, that's why we have YouTube; you can practically program your own game show network, complete with British and Australian shows)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast