Thread: Good Writing Application [Help]

Default Good Writing Application [Help]

Hello, I am going to write an RPG, but I need a good writing application to write it in. I can't get MSpaint or anything that costs money.

Few things I need:
    Not a crappy font like Notepad
    Must be able to auto- move to the next line

Thanks!
    Fairywitch's last artwork below:

Shiny Hunts:

BQ#1 Game Lost

We generally recommend Microsoft Word or a similar iteration of that program. According to Wikipedia, "Freeware editions of Word are Microsoft Word Viewer and Word Web App on SkyDrive, both of which have limited feature sets," so you could always try one of those. Alternatively, you could write it as an e-mail draft and run it through http://www.spellcheck.net/ before posting if you're really desperate. That said, I'm not sure what you mean by "Must be able to auto- move to the next line," since that kind of describes most writing programs.

~Psychic

He wants it to enter a carriage return for him by reading his mind when he wants to go to the next line. Never heard of anything that can KNOW when you want to go to the next line.

I recommend Open Office. It's got almost all the features of MS Word, and it's free.

Banner by the illustrious Avenger Angel

Bronislav is my Name and 1984 is my Birth year. If you can't say my name, just call me Bron or Slavik.

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    He wants it to enter a carriage return for him by reading his mind when he wants to go to the next line. Never heard of anything that can KNOW when you want to go to the next line.
    Um, dude, I think you missed the point by like a million miles or so, wow. If you read his post, he mentions Notepad, which probably means that's what he's used so far. You ever used Notepad? It continues a line past the borders of the window, forcing you to scroll horizontally unless you manually hit enter to start a new line. What he probably wants is the simple feature of jumping to a new line when your text reaches the border (like Notepad++, Word, Openoffice and really, any text editor worth their name does).

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    "Freeware editions of Word are Microsoft Word Viewer and Word Web App on SkyDrive, both of which have limited feature sets,"
    Word Viewer only lets you view Word documents, not actually edit them, so that's definitely a no-go. It's only meant for people who want to open their Word documents on a computer that doesn't have a Word (for printing purposes, for example). As for Word Wep App, I think you actually need to have Word installed first, but don't quote me on that one.

I second OpenOffice, it's completely free and good enough for most writing you'll be doing. If you have a Google Account, you can also use Drive to create and edit text files. It's pretty handy, especially on the go.

I gotta ask though... is this a joke thread? Because MSPaint what.
    TumblrdeviantArt

"I am not a bad man
    Even though I do bad things
    Very bad things
    Such horrible things"

Current rps
    | Boktai |

That was an attempt at a joke actually, cause I had no idea what he meant. Now that you explain what he wants though, I can say that basic Notepad has Word Wrap, which actually does that.

Banner by the illustrious Avenger Angel

Bronislav is my Name and 1984 is my Birth year. If you can't say my name, just call me Bron or Slavik.

You should have probably asked what he meant, in that case. But yeah, now that you mention it, I think even Notepad does actually have Word Wrap as an option, it's just not turned on by default. Would make sense since literally everything has it.

Not that you should ever use Notepad for anything that's more than a few lines long anyway, though.

EDIT: Oh, then there's WordPad (which I remembered by accidentally referring to Notepad as that in this post earlier, hm). That might work for some writing too, though I still recommend Openoffice.
    Last edited by GoldenHouou; 10th December 2013 at 6:41 AM.
    TumblrdeviantArt

"I am not a bad man
    Even though I do bad things
    Very bad things
    Such horrible things"

Current rps
    | Boktai |

I don't mean to be rude, but wouldn't this have been better posted in the Technology and devices section? Since it doesn't actually relate to RPing...
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 10th December 2013 at 7:25 AM.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Thank you and I will try it. And yes, I mean when it reaches the border.
    Fairywitch's last artwork below:

Shiny Hunts:

BQ#1 Game Lost