Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #65

Default Community POTW #65

Time for another classic Pokémon. This one got delayed after a run of NU Pokémon, but now it's back here!

It's Weezing, the classic Poison-type Pokémon

Go nuts

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/110.shtml

*inb4 Missingno Master Weezingasms*

Weezing, for whatever reason, (likely due to power creep and lack of real change) has been left in the dust this Generation. What was formerly a great OU mon in Gen 3 and a good UU in Gen 4 has now been reduced to the NU tier, where it struggles even now. However, it's still pretty good at walling physical mons, and design wise it's always been a classic. It's also seen quite some use in RU and even UU, so it isn't all bad news.

Smokey Progg

Bold
    Leftovers
    252 HP/252 Def/4SpA

Will-O-Wisp
    Sludge Bomb/Toxic
    Pain Split
    Clear Smog/Fire Blast/Memento/Thunderbolt

While not quite as beastly as before, Weezing can still deal with a number of physical threats in NU quite handily. Will-O-Wisp is always good for burning the threats in question such as Sawk, Torterra and Armaldo and crippling them, although low accuracy and Flash Fire mons can really put you down. One can also opt for Toxic, but its lack of stat reduction makes it less efficient overall than Will-O-Wisp, not to mention the number of Steel types who get a free switch in. Pain Split may not be the best recovery move, but it's the best Weezing has and does an adequate job at keeping Weezing alive. Clear Smog serves a very unique purpose in that it can negate stat boosts with correct prediction and essentially force the opponent out, but this is difficult to work with realistically due to physical threats being handled by Will-O-Wisp and special threats being able to kill Weezing. You can also opt for Memento to introduce a set-up opportunity for your team, Fire Blast to smack those pesky Steel types or Thunderbolt to hit Swellow or Gorebyss, but none of these moves are particularly essential. Basically, Weezings' options are sadly quite limited.
    Last edited by DarkLatios; 25th March 2012 at 2:41 PM. Reason: Forgot about Toxic altogether -.-

Annoying Wall
    Weezing @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Toxic
    - Spite / Will-O-Wisp
    - Protect / Pain Split
    - Clear Smog / Taunt
    Weezing may not be the best wall ever, but it can give it a good go with its 120 base defence. Toxic will probably be the main attack force of this wall, while Pain Split may provide some recovery. Clear Smog will get rid of any opposing stat changes, and deal a bit of damage too. Taunt is there to prevent stat changes in the first place. Protect is there to help wait for the poison to set in, and you could run Substitute somewhere as well. Spite will annoy the opponent by lowering the PP of the move, hopefully rendering that move to nothing. Will-O-Wisp is good to halve the opponent's attack.
    I am a Wholockian.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Sworn Metalhead's Banner - Eeveelover's Userbars

Countering Weezing

Heatran is a hard counter to Weezing, immune to Clear Smog, Will-O-Wisp, Fire Blast, and Toxic. Reuniclus, Espeon, Xatu, Sigilyph and Alakazam are all great choices, being either immune to Toxic/Will-O-Wisp damage or bounce Wisps back and packing super effective STAB attacks. Psychic types just wreck Weezing. Mold Breaker/Gravity + Earthquake is another surefire way to end Weezing. Faster Pokemon that can set up Substitute can sponge status attacks that Weezing throws, which is very ideal.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Comedy Bomb
    Weezing @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Shadow Ball
    - Toxic/Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt/Pain Split/Destiny Bond
    Sludge Bomb is your main STAB. Shadow Ball is for Psychic-types, your only weakness. Toxic is for poisoning, or Will-O-Wisp is for burning, making your defense even better. Taunt shuts down walls. Pain Split for healing. Destiny Bond for when you’re about to die. I don't really need to explain this stuff.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Mutant Freak of Nature
    Eviolite (Koffing would have better defenses than Weezing, right?)
    Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
    252 Def/200 SpA/56 Atk
    Levitate
    HP [Fighting/Water/Ground]
    Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    Gyro Ball
    Clear Smog/Explosion
    Shinies:

Weezing
    252 HP 252 SpD 4 Def
    Item: Leftovers

Fire Blast
    Will-O-Wisp
    Pain Split
    Thunderbolt

Specially defensive Weezing. Because it's physical defense is already high...

YES!!! YEEEEAAAAAH!!!!! ALL RIGHT! YEAH! YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Wallzing
    Weezing@Black Sludge
    Bold nature
    Levitate
    252 HP/200 Def/54 Sp. Def
    ~Stockpile
    ~Will-O-Wisp
    ~Pain Split
    ~Clear Smog/Flamethrower

SWEET! We are finally covering my favorite Pokémon- Weezing, the badass two-headed cloud of gas, and one of the best physical walls you will ever encounter. Let's take a minute to examine this thing of beauty, shall we? Stockpile is one of Weezing's newest toys, and allows it to finally do something about one of its rare flaws; its iffy Special Defense. With two or three Stockpiles, Weezing can take hits on both sides, making it that much harder to defeat. Will-O-Wisp cripples the physical attackers further. Pain Split, sadly, is Weezing's most reliable HP recovery move. Still, it does work. The last move is to thwart efforts to make Weezing useless via Taunt. Because Weezing is NEVER useless. Clear Smog is another one of Weezing's newest attacks, and it removes the foe's stat changes, not unlike Haze. Plus, Weezing gets STAB on it. If that's not your style, there's always Flamethrower. And if you don't think a two-headed poison gas cloud that breathes fire is cool, you should re-examine your life. Seriously.

Item helps Weezing recover HP. Ability is non-negotiable.

SpecsZing
    Weezing@Choice Specs
    Quiet nature
    Levitate
    252 Sp. Atk/252 HP/4 Def
    ~Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave/Hidden Power (Dragon/Ice/Fighting)
    ~Flamethrower
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Psybeam/Shadow Ball

Weezing has a kickass special movepool that can't be ignored. Flamethrower, Thunderbolt... Awesome stuff. Psybeam is preferred for its super-effectiveness on the likes of Conkeldurr, but Shadow Ball works too. Sludge Bomb and Sludge Wave get STAB (just remember that Psybeam and Sludge Wave are illegal on the same Weezing), but Hidden Power helps with the coverage. HP Dragon gets almost perfect coverage with Flamethrower, missing only Heatran. HP Ice forms a pseudo BoltBeam combo with Thunderbolt (PowerBolt?). And HP Fighting gets flawless coverage with Shadow Ball, but you'd have to forego Psybeam for that.

Item should be obvious. Ability can't be anything else.

Physical Wallzing
    Weezing@Black Sludge
    Bold nature
    Levitate
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Def
    ~Will-O-Wisp
    ~Flamethrower
    ~Haze/Clear Smog
    ~Pain Split

The classic physical wall Weezing. Designed solely to take physical hits and stall the attackers out. Will-O-Wisp to cripple them, Flamethrower to damage them, Haze or Clear Smog to remove their stat boosts, and Pain Split to heal Weezing. In the past it's been a staple of OU, and it's not hard to see why.

Item and ability should both be obvious at this point.

Other options:
    *Weezing can run Fire Blast and Thunder over Flamethrower and Thunderbolt, but the lower accuracy and PP isn't very conducive to a wall like Weezing.
    *With Weezing's superior Attack stat, you would think a physical sweeping set would be viable. You would think. Oh, sure, back in the days when Shadow Ball and HP Fighting were physical, sure, no problem. But Weezing's physical attacking options consist entirely of Payback, Assurance, Gyro Ball, Rollout, and an assortment of Normal moves. Nothing else! Because for some strange reason, Weezing can't learn Gunk Shot. The description for Gunk Shot states that the user spews filthy garbage. Weezing EATS garbage! And Wild Charge! GameFreak sure hasn't been shy about giving that move to everything friggin' else that learns Electric moves, but no, not Weezing! In fact, Weezing hasn't gotten a single recoil move, EVER. Seriously. Go and try to teach it Double-Edge in Generation I or FR/LG. It can't be done. Not even Crunch or any of the elemental fangs. Anything with visible teeth ought to be a candidate for those!
    *Weezing can learn Dark Pulse, but Shadow Ball works better with HP Fighting, and it's illegal with Sludge Wave.
    *Toxic is a decent option, if you can squeeze it in somewhere. Makes for a decidedly gimmicky combination with Venoshock.
    *Uproar can work somewhat like Outrage on a Dragon-type, only without the confusion at the end. It can also screw with Rest-using opponents.
    *Life Orb can be used in place of the Choice Specs on that one set. The loss of power isn't too significant, not when you consider the ability to change moves at will.
    *Leftovers can replace Black Sludge on any defensive set, but Black Sludge gives users of Trick and Switcheroo less of an incentive to swipe Weezing's item.

Abilities:
    *Levitate: Weezing's one and only Ability. Like you'd consider using anything else on it in the first place. Provides an immunity to Ground moves, which renders Weezing with exactly one weakness- Psychic. This is a large reason why it makes such a beautiful physical wall; not even the likes of Steelix can boast Ground immunity.

Partners:
    At the risk of sounding like I watch the anime too much, Arbok actually can work well with Weezing. It can wear down physical attackers with Intimidate, and then you switch in Weezing to absorb what turns out to be, nine times out of ten, Earthquake. Weezing wears them down some more with Will-O-Wisp, you can bring Arbok back in, Coil, and sweep. Weezing also likes it some Wish support, given its lack of Recover. Trick Room support is a huge help with the Specs set.

Weezing is also possibly the best Zoroark partner out there. It resists all of Zoroark's weaknesses, and Zoroark is immune to its only weakness. You send out Zoroark disguised as Weezing and people will be going for the Psychic moves, giving you a bit of free setup time. As a bonus, Weezing learns several moves seen on the standard Zoroark; Flamethrower and Dark Pulse.

Counters:
    All but the rare physical attacking Weezing have much to fear from Chansey and Blissey. They take the special attacks like nothing, Heal Bell off the status changes, and will likely KO Weezing before it KOs them. True, Pain Split can annoy them, but it's generally not enough. Also, watch out for Haxorus, as Mold Breaker will ensure that Earthquake hits Weezing. If you haven't gotten off a Will-O-Wisp, that sucker might hurt. Oh, and pretty much anything carrying Psychic. Even with full Stockpiled power, OUCH.

Opinion:
    If I were to go into my opinion of Weezing here in this post, it would surely break the character limit. So just read this.

Prediction for next week:
    Arbok

PS: Serebii, I would be eternally grateful if you could take that image I put in my post and make it an avatar.
    Last edited by Missingno. Master; 26th March 2012 at 5:41 AM.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Weezing is an old classic with OK stats. I used him once and I found this set useful:
    ability: levitate
    Item: left overs
    sludge bomb
    toxic/will o wisp
    thunder/ shadow ball
    destiny bond

Basically just use sludge bomb for STAB and toxic and will o wisp can mess up your openents defense. Thunder is for the people who like power but if you want to counter psycic types (your main weakness) you can use shadow ball. Since weezing can lose its health quickly at times, destiny bond is good move to use at the end of the battle.
    Last edited by Dancing Togekiss; 25th March 2012 at 4:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infernape612 View Post
    Mutant Freak of Nature
    Eviolite (Koffing would have better defenses than Weezing, right?)
    Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
    252 Def/200 SpA/56 Atk
    Levitate
    HP [Fighting/Water/Ground]
    Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    Gyro Ball
    Clear Smog/Explosion
    Defensively yes, however your Special Defense would be lower and considering your only weakness is Physchic attacks and a almost all of them are Special it wouldn't be very beneficial to have an Eviolite.
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678

Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

I think the last POTW was Eelly good.
    Ok physical wall seems like it pairs perfectly with blissey...if only it had a realible recovery

physical wall
    @ leftovers/black sludge (if you like using trick against owner needs to be played with prediction or just the annoying item clause)
    252 HP, 252 defense, 4 sp. attack
    Calm ( + Special Defense, -Attack) (I don't like to inverst too much in defense he doesn't have calm mind so...)
    -Clear smog/haze
    -Toxic/will o wisp
    -Pain Split
    -Flamethrower/memento

Clear smog and haze have the same role: to eleminate boosts while haze works on all types clear smog have a nice base 75 power (after STAB) but it can't hit steel types.
    Toxic is the main option if you use Flamethrower (I hate heatran ruining coverage just ignore him ONCE he can't wall heatran or any psychic type) to hit the mostly physical oriented steel types in their weak defense.
    Pain split is a must on any defensive set of weezing it is a semi reliable healing.

Memento helps a weezings' teammate a chance to set up.

most physical attackers (like terrakion) can't do too much to weezing but beware of special attackers especially latios and alakazam
    Last edited by Ilan; 25th March 2012 at 5:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Didn't someone predict this last potw? O_o Anyhoo..
    BaZinga
    Black sludge
    Relaxed
    252 Def/252HP/4Spec. Atk
    Gyro Ball
    Clear Smog
    Toxic
    Venoshock

Clear smog is there for countering calm mind/swords dance or other stat-boosting moves, Gyro ball for hitting other types (physic) fairly hard, and the Toxic/Venoshock can break down walls.
    ...Well, if you think I'm gonna type my name in some rediculous swirly cursive font, well, that's not happening. At least for now.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" -Steve Wozniak

Ticking Time Bomb
    Careful +SpDef/-SpAtk
    252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp.Def
    Levitate (since there is no other option...)
    Black Sludge

Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
    Protect
    Pain Split/Stockpile/Taunt
    Explosion

So you Toxic just because Toxic is so very deadly or you use Will-o-Wisp, less accuracy, less damage, however, your opponent will have a hard time taking you down if they're a physical sweeper. Then stall using Protect. Now Pain Split's good for healing and bringing down your opponent's HP. Another option is to Stockpile which'll raise both of your defenses which makes you an even better wall. Then there's Taunt since most of your moves are status moves. And for the grand finale EXPLOSION!!!!!!!

Weezing got Swagger

Sassy +SpDef/-Spd
    252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp.Def
    Levitate (since there is again, no other option...)
    Black Sludge

Swagger
    Screech
    Curse
    Gyro Ball

Weezing pretty much walls physical attacks and Psyshock so why not do a Swagger + Screech Combo? Obviously you double their attack and halve their defense making their confusion damage pretty high. Curse Increases your Defense more so youbasically just wall those physical attacks. Gyro Ball is a great combo with a non-ghost curse user. Plus you're really slow.

Suggested Partners: Jellicent, Eviolite Dusclops, Tank Dusknoir, Cofagrigus, or Chandelure
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678

Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Melonhead215 View Post
    Didn't someone predict this last potw? O_o
    I did, but as I've been predicting Weezing as the next PotW since Serebii skipped over it in favor for Chandelure, not sure how much that counts.

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

Despite having HP and Sp.Def that are below-average, Weez' is a beast on Defense. Tack on an Ability to halve the number of weaknesses it has and you'll tank rather well. Pain Split? Yes, please! Nearly-equal, above-average offense? Could be worse...could be a Poison Ty...ohhhhh...

Anyway, Poison Type doesn't mean unusable. Weez's low Speed and access to non-Ghost Curse + Gyro Ball, high Defense and access to Will-o-Wisp, and access to Haze, Clear Smog, Memento, Explosion, and an overall-well-rounded Movepool give it more than one incredible shot at greatness.

Considering it gets high Defense, even without Will-o-Wisp at its disposal, Mold Breaker EQ is less of a threat (but still scary). However, you have a plethora of Psychic Types cracking their mental knuckles whenever they see you.

STAB Psychic hurts. A lot. Not to mention any Pokemon that can learn Extrasensory or boost up a Stored Power will likewise be threatening. Wonder Room becomes a blessing for Psychic, Extrasensory, and Stored Power, but then a curse when you realize how well it pairs against you with Zen Headbutt, Psycho Cut, Psyshock, and Heart Stamp.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

You know, I've always wanted to see a Weezing triplet. They talk about it in the Pokedex...

Curse-Ball
    Ability: Levitate
    Item: Leftovers/Steel Gem/Plate
    Nature: Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 SpD/4 Def
    -Curse
    -Toxic/Will-o-Wisp/Screech
    -Gyro Ball
    -Explosion

I don't know how well this set will do, but it's worth a shot. Curse boosts your Atk and Def, while lowering Spd. This is perfect with Gyro Ball, especially since Weezing's speed is already low. Toxic and Will-o-Wisp can help take down opponents, with Will-o-Wisp increasing your survivability against physical attackers. Screech could be used if you want to strengthen Gyro Ball some more, or can help force switches. Explosion gets powered up by Curse, and could help when Weezing is weezing his last breath. :P

Leftovers is for survivability, while Steel Gem/Plate powers up Gyro Ball, with Gem being one big boosts, and Plate being multiple smaller boosts.
    All your Kirby are belong to us! (>' . ')> (>' . ')>(>' . ')> (b^-^)b

I am proud to present my first wild shiny since the 3rd Generation, Magikarp!
    ...We all got to start somewhere, right?

FC: 0602-6317-4560
    Friend Safari: Electric-Pachirisu, Stunfisk, Manectric
    Add me if you want to, I'll add most anyone. Just shoot me a PM if you do.

Attacking Weezing

Modest
    EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 HP
    Moves:
    Sludge Bomb
    Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Flamethrower

Depending on how you play it, Zoroark is a good teammate, being able to use Dark Pulse and Flamethrower itself, allowing the illusion to work out. Most people would end up tossing a Psychic move at you, just to rid Weezing, so Zoroark is handy there.

I just find more offensive sets more useful.
    Double battles

Ahh...weezing, you're my favorite status flinging tank

Flying Purple People Eater
    --------------------------------------
    Levitate + Leftovers
    Bold +252HP/252Def
    -Substitute
    -Pain Split
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Toxic

I would find venusaur to be an effective counter against weezing. As part-poison it would have the immunity pure grass types wouldn't have. It would have to have worry seed to negate weezing's levitate (worry seed is the most awesome underrated move in the game) and earthquake to finish it off.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

YEUSSS! Finally, weezing!

anyways, back to business.

Master Exploder
    Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
    Protect
    Sludgebomb/Smog
    Explosion

<evs> 252 hp, 180 def, rest is spdef
    <nature> bold/calm
    <item> Black Sludge (why nobody else post this?)

Toxic/Will-o-Wisp is to set up the foe with status. Burn lowers the opponents attack, which isn't really a problem, because most counters use spattack. toxic deals more damage with every turn, making the foe eventually have to switch out, or suicide. Sludge bomb to get some preemptive damage in before you need to blow up. smog is also a nice choice for damage, as it can poison switchers if you didn't predict right. protect, so you can get a little peek at enemies moves. also, if they are banded then that tells you to swich out. EXPLOSION! the main move in the set. when you are on orange health and know you can take just one more hit, them KABOOM! the opponent is dead (unless they are ghost, then you're screwed)

In my opinion, there are better exploders. also, if you want to you can run a fast weezing to get one more hit in.
    [IMG]http://oi44.*******.com/2vvrzaw.jpg[/IMG]

~~need a jirachi, celebi, mew, phione.~~
    wanting a dream world ninetails or poiltoad. plz help
    pokedex is at 607 entries. please help me!

Many people don't know about a certain move that weezing learns: memento. In NU, this allows weezing to pave the way for a setup sweeper like swords dance combusken to get a free, uncontested, boost up. If your NU team utilizes something like belly drum linoone, then you might want to consider running a standard weezing set, but replace a move on it, such as sludge bomb, with memento. Definitely a move to go in the other options section.

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    I did, but as I've been predicting Weezing as the next PotW since Serebii skipped over it in favor for Chandelure, not sure how much that counts.
    Ok, good. That was pretty freaky for a sec ._.
    ...Well, if you think I'm gonna type my name in some rediculous swirly cursive font, well, that's not happening. At least for now.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" -Steve Wozniak

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Defensively yes, however your Special Defense would be lower and considering your only weakness is Physchic attacks and a almost all of them are Special it wouldn't be very beneficial to have an Eviolite.
    So... if I changed the Defense EVs to Special Defense, would that work?
    Shinies:

Poor Weezing, even with that defense and only 1 weakness you are just outclassed. Heck, Marowak has equal defensive properties if you simply move 10 points from special to physical. You can counter its awful speed with Trick Room but sadly using Trick Room support for Weezing is terrible.

Weezing has a ton of various moves, making it a versatile offensive wall, sadly, its slightly stronger physical attack offers nothing. Is it just me or is Weezing the only poison type Pokemon that does not have a physical STAB move?
    Last edited by Zodiac Meteor; 25th March 2012 at 11:20 PM.
    FC: 1721 3145 1322

Quote Originally Posted by Melonhead215 View Post
    Ok, good. That was pretty freaky for a sec ._.
    Yeah, the only other time I correctly predicted the next PotW was when I predicted Delibird. And given that it was being done for Christmas, it wasn't exactly a tough call to make.

Author profile

Fizzy Bubbles info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast