Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #65

Weezing has a ton of various moves, making it a versatile offensive wall, sadly, its slightly stronger physical attack offers nothing. Is it just me or is Weezing the only poison type Pokemon that does not have a physical STAB move?
    Utilizing an attack stat that is just five points higher than a poke's other attacking stat simply because it's five points higher is really bad logic... it doesn't matter that its movepool focuses on a special attack stat that is just five points lower than its physical attack stat, the difference doesn't really have a large consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut View Post
    I would find venusaur to be an effective counter against weezing. As part-poison it would have the immunity pure grass types wouldn't have. It would have to have worry seed to negate weezing's levitate (worry seed is the most awesome underrated move in the game) and earthquake to finish it off.
    Sleep powder>worry seed you've got 2-3 turns worry seed also prevent's sleep... if worry seed was THAT good cofagringus was everywhere... but that's offtopic.. also weezing can just will o wisp with your strategy .. or just switch .

Weezing puns (Warning most of them are BAD): weezup,weez o weezp (will o wisp set), Smoky Wall,.
    Last edited by Ilan; 26th March 2012 at 1:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Weez's Physical Movepool may be limited, but it isn't bad. Payback plays well with its naturally low Speed, as does Gyro Ball, Explosion is self-explanatory, and Natural Gift (Salac Berry) pairs well enough with Thief for chipping-away coverage. As for a lack of a Physical Poison Type Move, as Zodiac Meteor kindly pointed out, Natural Gift is the only way for Weez' to have one (and I do mean one) and only with Oran, Qualot, Kebia, and Petaya Berries.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Meteor View Post
    Poor Weezing, even with that defense and only 1 weakness you are just outclassed. Heck, Marowak has equal defensive properties if you simply move 10 points from special to physical. You can counter its awful speed with Trick Room but sadly using Trick Room support for Weezing is terrible.

Weezing has a ton of various moves, making it a versatile offensive wall, sadly, its slightly stronger physical attack offers nothing. Is it just me or is Weezing the only poison type Pokemon that does not have a physical STAB move?
    Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Budew, Stunky, Foongus, and Amoongus.
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678

Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

Utilizing an attack stat that is just five points higher than a poke's other attacking stat simply because it's five points higher is really bad logic
    I never said Weezing should utilize physical attack >_> but Weezing would benefit more from physical (Explosion) if it could learn good physical moves.

Seriously, why doesn't Weezing learn Gunk Shot? Something is wrong when Pachirisu can learn it but not Weezing.

Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Budew, Stunky, Foongus, and Amoongus.
    All have physical STAB moves, just not poison type.
    Last edited by Zodiac Meteor; 26th March 2012 at 2:13 AM.
    FC: 1721 3145 1322

Besides being able to do an okay job at walling/hazing, Weezing sucks at almost everything. You might as well make it a bit useful with this:

Weezing @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
    - Explosion
    - Destiny Bond
    - Memento
    - Toxic / Grudge

Tada! A suicide role! With the EVs and nature, it reaches 380 Speed which is enough to outspeed a lot of stuff. Explosion does a nice amount of damage to anything frail. Destiny Bond is great for taking out something important. Memento allows one of your teammates to set up easier or it will force a switch which also gives you a free turn to set up. Toxic is used if you want to spread status quickly and Grudge depletes all of the foe's PP if Weezing is KO'd.

Quote Originally Posted by PikaPika677 View Post
    Besides being able to do an okay job at walling/hazing, Weezing sucks at almost everything. You might as well make it a bit useful with this:

Weezing @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
    - Explosion
    - Destiny Bond
    - Memento
    - Toxic / Grudge

Tada! A suicide role! With the EVs and nature, it reaches 380 Speed which is enough to outspeed a lot of stuff. Explosion does a nice amount of damage to anything frail. Destiny Bond is great for taking out something important. Memento allows one of your teammates to set up easier or it will force a switch which also gives you a free turn to set up. Toxic is used if you want to spread status quickly and Grudge depletes all of the foe's PP if Weezing is KO'd.
    This made me lol.

If any Pokemon does a suicide role it should be Metagross or Frolass. To bad suicide is a terrible idea.

This made me lol.

If any Pokemon does a suicide role it should be Metagross or Frolass. To bad suicide is a terrible idea.
    But I was serious about that. Anything else I could have suggested probably already has been. And besides, that set I mentioned is Metagross' and Froslass' combined. It has Metagross' Explosion, Froslass' Grudge and Destiny Bond. It even has Memento.
    Last edited by PikaPika677; 26th March 2012 at 3:15 AM.

2 Heads are better than 1
    Weezing@Black Sludge
    Bold252def/100sp.def/150sp.def
    Toxic
    Protect
    Venoshock
    Pain Split/Explosion
    Very basic, toxic for gradual damage and venoshock for the 50 boost in damage thanks to toxic. Pain Split or Explosion is useful to restore Weezings health or sacrifice Weezing to get rid of something opposing a threat to your team.
    3DS Friend Code 4270-0407-8371

Friend Safari:Kirlia, Floette(Blue) and Jigglypuff

Before I begin, I have to say that I loved the pun in Red and Blue where a TR member with a cold says Koffing evolves into Weezing. (And coughing does evolve into wheezing). And I couldn't stop laughing at how much Missingno. Master was flipping out. But anyways... Weezing is a classic Poison-type Pokemon (and the signature Pokemon of Team Rocket's James for the first five or so seasons of the anime) with an excellent base 120 defense. Its HP and Sp. Defense are both iffy, but get the job done. Attack and Sp. Attack are average at best, at base 90 and 85, respectively. Its Speed is a forgettable base 60, but that is faster than a number of other physical walls (like Forretress). Weezing's movepool and ability are also quite well suited for the physical walling role. The thing about Weezing is that its remained virtually unchanged. In such a dynamic environment, Weezing really struggles. Still, its good at what it does.

Recommended tiers: NU-UU

Levitate is Weezing's only ability. All Ground-type attacks except for Sand Attack have no effect on it. This is excellent, as it leaves Weezing with only one weakness: Psychic, and it makes Pokemon that rely on Earthquake as their main attack, like Gliscor and Hippowdon, weep.

Weezing has a pitiful at best physical movepool, so Special Attacks are the way to go. Sludge Bomb is a STAB option, though it leaves you helpless against Steels. Most Weezing run Flamethrower or Fire Blast instead. Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, and Psybeam are additional special options.

Weezing's support movepool is where it's at. Pain Split is its best way to recover, and since Weezing has a rather low base 65 HP, it usually gains from the move. Will-O-Wisp is every physical attacker's nightmare, and Weezing uses it very well. Toxic is another status option, and if you want, you can combine it with Venoshock for great damage. Haze and Clear Smog serve the same purpose: removing stat changes. The difference is that Haze works on all Pokemon on the field while Clear Smog causes damage and only affects one target. Be very aware that Clear Smog is a Poison-type attack, which means Scizor and other Steels can boost without worry. Memento can be used if your Weezing looks like its about to go down, although its a bit too slow to really use it well. Destiny Bond has the same issue. Stockpile is good for stalling, but beware of crits.

Double/Triple options: An immunity to Earthquake is great, though Weezing can't damage an opponent much. A Weezing with Haze can partner well with a Pokemon that uses Draco Meteor, Overheat, or a similar stat-lowering move.

Countering Weezing: In OU, Heatran completely shuts Weezing down. In other tiers, Psychic type moves are the way to go. Pokemon with Magic Guard and Magic Bounce are particularly effective. Taunt shuts down any non-offensive Weezing. Try to use Special Attacks, as Weezing has a rather iffy base 70 Sp. Defense.

Specially defensive Umbreon seems like a good partner for it too me. Umbreon happens to be immune to psychic, it's only weakness. Meanwhile, Weezing sponges bug and fighting attacks for it. Umbreon can concentrate on it's high special defense, while Weezing does it's job as a physical wall.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My signature sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Yeah, the only other time I correctly predicted the next PotW was when I predicted Delibird. And given that it was being done for Christmas, it wasn't exactly a tough call to make.
    Side conversation ftw

Anyway, you have inspired me.

Prediction for next week: Hitmonlee
    ...Well, if you think I'm gonna type my name in some rediculous swirly cursive font, well, that's not happening. At least for now.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" -Steve Wozniak

Quote Originally Posted by Melonhead215 View Post
    Prediction for next week: Hitmonlee
    Nope. We already did Hitmonlee back when Reno ran things.

Thank me for Weezing. Serebii wanted to do it several months from now lol.

Wall-zing
    @Black Sludge
    Impish [ 252 HP / 148 Def / 8 Spd ]
    - Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
    - Protect
    - Pain Split
    - Taunt

This set serves as the Physical Wall Set. All moves are self-explanatory

Offensive Weezing?
    @Life Orb / Normal Gen / Black Sludge
    Brave / Relaxed [ 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 Def ]
    - Curse
    - Gyro Ball
    - Payback
    - Explosion

Curse raises bulk and offense but lowers Speed. Good partner with Gyro Ball and Payback. Kills you but hurt the foe a lot.

Countering

Heatran counters Will-o-Wisp and Poison-type moves. Magic Bounce Espeon transfers status moves and also kills Weezing with Psychic. Rampardos ignores Levitate and can kill Weezing with one Earthquake.

Pre-Evo Corner

@Eviolite
    Bold [ 252 HP / 100 SpDef / 156 Def ]
    - Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Destiny Bond
    - Memento / Explosion

All moves are self-explanatory.

Weezig, the Icon pokemon of Smogon, Poison type proud. I'm a grass type so no thanks. Can't stay too long.

EXPLOSIVE COMBUSITION!
    Fire blast
    Sludge bomb
    Hidden power Ice
    Thunder/bolt

THIS GAS WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
    Explosion
    destiny bond
    will - o - wisp
    toxic
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

EXPLOSIVE COMBUSITION!
    Fire blast
    Sludge bomb
    Hidden power Ice
    Thunder/bolt
    You need a description. And Nidoking/queen can do this much better.

Weez's offensive stats are pretty good, but it lacks Move-Type diversity. That isn't necessarily bad, though. Your main role is to annoy, cripple, and then overwhelm. Straight up, Poison Types love to spread Status Ailments, and Weez' is no exception.

Looking at similar Poison Types, I couldn't look at pure Poison Types to compare. Drapion has similar durability and Amoongus has similar offense with Weez's Speed roughly halfway between the two. That said, the three of them could work well on a Type-themed team. Since Weez' is mostly-immune to Earthquake (mostly it's Mold Breaker that'll mess with you), it allies itself pretty well with Drapion or Skuntank, which are only weak to Ground, and really well with most Dark Types, since Weez' resists their weaknesses and they are immune to Psychic.

The main thing Weez' has going for it is that it is annoying to merely see. I say that because you'll expect to see the three S's when your opponent uses one: Switches, Statuses, and Suicide. Professional Weez' users will annoy opponents with Status Ailments and switching to Move-Type-Immune Pokemon before going down in flame and glory with it. When you see Weezing, your life will soon become Hell if you don't know how to handle it...

WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Looks like you were all waiting for weezing to come ever since it was skipped for shandelure that week!
    Anyways, Weezing is a very decent pokemon being one of the best pure poison types of the game having only competition from garbodor (kidding)!
    It has a very good defense but sadly low special defense and HP makes it's walling job limited. Offensively it is not bad at all too... But being forced to rely on it's slightly lower special attack is not what this pokemon hoped for. But it's special movepool is so good that everyone around are more than glad to make that 5 points difference sacrifice. Speed is what hinders the pokemon the most! with a base stat of 60 it cannot be effective in supporting the team or use it's gimmick options such as memento or destiny bond wich require good prediction on weezing or they would fail.
    Levitate is the best thing this pokemon have. Being weak to ground type moves, a poison's type dream is levitate and that pokemon wished on the right star!

My gases makes opponents wheeze:
    Weezing@black sludge
    Ability: levitate
    Nature: +DEF, -ATT
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SPD
    Moveset:
    -Clear smog
    -Will-O-wisp
    -Flamethrower
    -Destiny bond/ memento/ Taunt/ Shadow ball/ Explosion.

Pretty standard for a physical wall! Invest heavily in speed so it can surprise an opponent that expects a slow weezing. Will-O-wisp is for softening physical blows and burning the opponent. Clear smog provide some hazing and plays the role of a STAB damaging move too. Flamethrower hits steels harder than thunderbolt that would otherwise wall you to extinction. On the last slot you can be either disruptive or suicidal. Destiny bond takes the opponent down with you wich is very helpfull taking out the opponent's powerhouse. Memento forces switching while giving you a free turn to set up or just destroy the opponent if he decides not to switch. Taunt cripples some support pokemon but most of them will taunt you before you taunt them. shadow ball is good since weezing is a psychic type punching bag, hitting them super effectively, sadly most of them are either faster than you or bulky in the special side, and will eventually KO you directly or on the second turn (Weezing should also wish to get Shadow sneak). Explosion is a suicidal move for a desperate KO but do not use a -ATT nature since this generation explosion is much weaker than it was before so it needs much more power to successfully KO something especially if it has good defenses.

Finally... Weezing can also be used as a mixed defender with stockpile enabling it to survive a special attack but I think that this would lower the effectiveness of weezing primarly job of a physical wall. Pain split can be used for recovery but I'd rather use weezing as a burn spreader with a last move to cripple the opponent. You can use pain split instead of clear smog but the latter will protect you from baton passers as well as fast swords dance sweepers.
    Last edited by Rayofquazar; 27th March 2012 at 11:36 PM.

The best partner for Weezing would have to be Bronzong, quad-resist psychic moves and more importantly Trick Room support to help with Weezings bad speed. An evolite Bronzor can also do a bang up job with Toxic stall and Trick Room if you're going NU.

Poor Weezing, NU is filled with powerful and/or bulky psychic types that can not only out speed Weezing but OHKO thanks to his smaller special defense stat, removing weakness to ground type attacks doesn't help this smoke cloud enough. When you have almost the exact same number of defensive points as Marowak, it's extremely hard to recommend this poison Pokemon to any NU team considering other poison types. Garbodor has spikes, Muk had good special defense, physical attack and Gunk Shot, Skuntank offers better offense and Amoonguss can offer better defensive checks.

Weezing best used to check, wall and burn dangerous physical Pokemon like Swak but compared to Amoonguss, (who also gets regenerator) it's a bit outclassed when it comes to checks and counters. Still, it's walling might not be top class but it sure can annoy with its moves.

In Triple Battles Weezing sadly has no place, even with Trick Room teams it's average offensive and defensive stats make him outclassed by slower Pokemon that use utilize Trick Room much better. To top that off, stalling is nearly impossible to do in Triple Battles and checks are not as useful, which are two saving graces of Weezing in Singles.

Weezing has a lot of counters, even Pokemon you wouldn't think to counter it, like eviolite Dragonair can wall it. Not only has big bulk but can laugh at Will-O-Wisp, can safely setup can rest any damage away unless Weezing carries Taunt or Clear Smog which still won't stop Dragonair from dealing damage. A maxed Special Attack, Modest Nature Weezing, Life Orb boosted Hidden Power (Ice) would still take 3-4 hits to KO an Eviolite Dragonair.
    Last edited by Zodiac Meteor; 28th March 2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Weezing cannot learn Ice beam derp.

The best partner for Weezing would have to be Bronzong, quad-resist psychic moves and more importantly Trick Room support to help with Weezings bad speed. An evolite Bronzor can also do a bang up job with Toxic stall and Trick Room if you're going NU.
    Emphasis, mine. Any time a Pokemon has Base Speed between 55 and 85, it's bad. Weez' barely falls within the realm of "Bad Speed" with Base 60 ("Bad Speed" is a region where many Pokemon outclass you with Trick Room active and many outclass you with Trick Room inactive; basically medium-low Speed to above-average Speed is "Bad Speed"). However, Curse can help non-Ghost Types within this region, and Weezing has that option.

Secondly, I completely forgot how amazing a partner Levitate 'zong could be to Weez' in Singles. Doubles/Triples, however, makes them both vulnerable to Mold Breaker EQ.

I do not support trick room support for Weezing. Yes, it makes up for it's poor speed, but it doesn't last very long. Trick Room is a more offensive natured, allowing powerful sweeps from pokemon like Machamp or Conkeldur who would usually be held back by low speed, but defensive pokemon like Weezing will just stall trick room out themselves.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My signature sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Nope. We already did Hitmonlee back when Reno ran things.

Thank me for Weezing. Serebii wanted to do it several months from now lol.
    Prediction for next week *REVISED*: Hitmonchan
    ...Well, if you think I'm gonna type my name in some rediculous swirly cursive font, well, that's not happening. At least for now.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" -Steve Wozniak

Quote Originally Posted by Melonhead215 View Post
    Prediction for next week *REVISED*: Hitmonchan
    NOPE

10char

Personal Settings
    Item: Black Sludge/Wise Glasses/Payapa Berry
    Sludge Bomb
    Flamethrower
    Payback
    Thunderbolt/Gyro Ball

Partners:
    Trick Room users
    Light Screen users
    A Dark or Steel-Type like Bisharp or Zoroark

Countering:
    Smack Down/Gravity to Ground-Type attacks (Nidoking/Nidoqueen)
    Iron Ball-holder with an Item Switch move
    A fast pokemon with high Sp Attack and Psychic-type special attacks like Extrasensory, Psybeam, and Psychic. (Alakazam)
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 28th March 2012 at 3:00 PM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Personal Settings
    Item: Black Sludge/Wise Glasses/Payapa Berry
    Sludge Bomb
    Flamethrower
    Payback
    Thunderbolt/Gyro Ball

Partners:
    Trick Room users
    Light Screen users
    A Dark or Steel-Type like Bisharp or Zoroark

Countering:
    Smack Down/Gravity to Ground-Type attacks (Nidoking/Nidoqueen)
    Iron Ball-holder with an Item Switch move
    A fast pokemon with high Sp Attack and Psychic-type special attacks like Extrasensory, Psybeam, and Psychic. (Alakazam)
    Pokemon with max special attack vs. max special defense Weezing

Duosion psychic OHKO
    Abra psychic is a OHKO
    Beeheeyum psychic is a OHKO
    Hypno psychic is a 2 Hit KO
    Typhlosion Extrasensory/Flamethrower is a 2 hit KO
    Milotic Hydro Pump is a 2 Hit KO
    Pelipper Hurricane 2 hit KO

Anything that touches that special defense destroys poor Weezing, not to mention most of these will be a OHKO if Weezing doesn't max his special defense. Even Abra is a threat to the poison cloud.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast