Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 71 of 71

Thread: Community POTW #65

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Koffing's got base 95 defense. That's pretty good for little cup, at least from my knowledge. Maybe you should include pre-evolution corner. Smogon suggest that it's best running Resttalk/Will-o-Wisp/Clear Smog, but hey, what do I know about LC? Physically defensive with eviolite, obviously. Could probably work in NU as well, but that's Weezing's job.
    Weezig, the Icon pokemon of Smogon,
    That's Koffing. Just saying.
    Even Abra is a threat to the poison cloud.
    You still have to admit that Abra has 100+ special attack and psychic STAB.

    I still do agree with you though. If you use Weezing, use it for it's defense stat.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 29th March 2012 at 2:46 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Koffing's got base 95 defense. That's pretty good for little cup, at least from my knowledge. Maybe you should include pre-evolution corner. Smogon suggest that it's best running Resttalk/Will-o-Wisp/Clear Smog, but hey, what do I know about LC? Physically defensive with eviolite, obviously. Could probably work in NU as well, but that's Weezing's job.That's Koffing. Just saying.You still have to admit that Abra has 100+ special attack and psychic STAB.

    I still do agree with you though. If you use Weezing, use it for it's defense stat.
    Actually, just ran some tests involving Eviolite Koffing vs. Weezing when it comes to defense. Koffing can actually take more hits than Weezing, making it a slightly better physical wall, however, Koffing won't be able to use items.
    On the flip side, Koffing has less HP thus making Pain Split more effective.

    Evioite Koffing is viable.

    Edit: Wow, in a way, Koffing is better at walling than Weezing. Max special attack Abra vs. Max special defense Koffing is a 2 hit KO, surviving barely in red.
    Last edited by Zodiac Meteor; 29th March 2012 at 3:30 AM.
    FC: 1721 3145 1322

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Buoy Base Galaxy
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Meteor View Post
    Actually, just ran some tests involving Eviolite Koffing vs. Weezing when it comes to defense. Koffing can actually take more hits than Weezing, making it a slightly better physical wall, however, Koffing won't be able to use items.
    On the flip side, Koffing has less HP thus making Pain Split more effective.

    Evioite Koffing is viable.
    Yeah Koffing can be pretty bulky but unless you're in the Little Cup it's best to stick with Weezing for its Leftovers/Black Sludge. Here's a good Little Cup Koffing set.

    Smogon
    Koffing @ Eviolite
    Trait: Ability
    EVs: 196 HP/76 Def/236 SDef
    Careful (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Toxic/Will O’ Wisp
    - Clear Smog
    - Rest/Pain Split

    Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

    Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

    Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

    Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Though unlike Koffing, Weezing can actually do damage outside of status.

    I guess Koffing is better if you want a more defensive approach, though.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Koffing doesn't really take hits better. Its defenses with Eviolite end at 40/167/76 which is ok, except it lacks Leftovers and its HP sucks. It takes Special hits worse and Physical hits only a little better which again isn't that great due to lack of Leftovers.

    Oh, and its offenses are dwarfed by Blissey. You don't ever want to envy Blissey's offenses.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Koffing doesn't really take hits better. Its defenses with Eviolite end at 40/167/76 which is ok, except it lacks Leftovers and its HP sucks. It takes Special hits worse and Physical hits only a little better which again isn't that great due to lack of Leftovers.
    Actually it can take both physical and special attacks better. Lower HP isn't a bad thing because of Pain Split, but isn't a good thing either. Trading one for another.

    Oh, and its offenses are dwarfed by Blissey. You don't ever want to envy Blissey's offenses.
    Offenses as in Seismic Toss spam? Hell, Blissey has around the same special attack as Weezing.

    Using Weezing as offense is a terrible idea, being a physical wall with burn AND removes stats boost with moves like Clear Smog and Haze? It stops setups in their place. Not to mention it's a wall that can stop walls with Torment and Taunt. Kills any sleep talker. It stops teams from rolling your Pokemon through spikes.

    I'm not saying it can't go offensive but it's uses is better off doing what it does best, a wall.

    lol, envy Blissey's offenses, do you even know how walling works? You know, if a Pokemon has a massively huge special attack of 85 with NO boosting moves, it's best used as an attacker!
    Offensive Blissey, because when I think Blissey, I give it moves like Earthquake, Rock Slide, Wild Charge and Present. Why not? Did ya see dat that 10 physical attack? With STAB present I have a 10% chance to bust out 120 base damage! Oh and 20% chance to heal my opponent 50% health.
    I did some calcs and it takes 10 hits to kill Sunkern with Rock Slide, yay! Get this, only 2 hits to kill Pichu with Earthquake! Poor Pichu's 20/15/30 defenses it never stood a chance.
    With that 75 special attack, it's obviously a special attacker, silly me, give it specs and teach it Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Shadowball and Hyper Beam.
    Last edited by Zodiac Meteor; 29th March 2012 at 7:14 AM.
    FC: 1721 3145 1322

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Emo Cave
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Meteor View Post
    I do not suck dick!
    well since you are making a point to say it, you obviously do, but that's ok i won't judge.

    Credit to the amazing Lunar <3 and EG and BH :3

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Meteor View Post
    Actually it can take both physical and special attacks better. Lower HP isn't a bad thing because of Pain Split, but isn't a good thing either. Trading one for another.
    No, sorry.. you're wrong. It takes Special Hits worse and Physical hits about as well (taking into account Leftovers). As for the rest of your post.. I'm pretty sure you either misread or otherwise ignored mine. I literally said nothing about offensive Weezing. In fact I never even mentioned Weezing. I was talking about how bad Koffing is. Koffing has pathetic Special Attack, meaning the only way it can do damage is Will-O-Wisp and.. Toxic. Koffing's durability isn't even THAT great due to terrible HP and no healing (Pain Split sucks and is easy to work around)

    Koffing is bad not because it can't take hits (well.. it can't) but because it has zero offensive presence. And don't you dare try to say "do you even know how walling works?". All walls need to in some way threaten their counters. Skarmory Spikes + Whirlwinds (and STAB Brave Bird). Ferrothorn Power Whip + Gyro Balls, even Twave + Leech Seed. Blissey Seismic Tosses, which generally 3HKOs most switch ins with Stealth Rocks. Rotom has Hydro Pump + Volt Switch. Gliscor gets STAB Earthquake + Toxic or Taunt. Tentacruel gets STAB Scald + Toxic Spikes. All walls need to be useful in the turns they spend being countered (aka the turn the opponent switches out). They must set up hazards, or in some way do damage to what counters them or else they are useless.

    Koffing is crap because all it does is Will-O-Wisp and die. Its defenses aren't even that good. Don't even use Koffing outside of Little Cup.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucs99 View Post
    well since you are making a point to say it, you obviously do, but that's ok i won't judge.
    Location: Emo Cave
    Looking for report button but found that instead. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest
    No, sorry.. you're wrong. It takes Special Hits worse and Physical hits about as well (taking into account Leftovers).
    I double checked calcs and you're right, Koffing takes 2% more damage against special attacks. I don't know how I missed that.

    Pain Split by far isn't the best recovery move, but easy to work around? Switch in a Pokemon with low HP to take Pain Split, while spikes are up... Pain Split is a great move for Weezing.

    Lastly, Zero offensive presence? *Looks at Skarmory and Deoyxs-D* Meh, I disagree on that. I prefer Taunt over Brave Bird to stop the ever so popular Ferrothorn.
    FC: 1721 3145 1322

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Meteor View Post
    Location: Emo Cave
    Looking for report button but found that instead. Interesting.

    I double checked calcs and you're right, Koffing takes 2% more damage against special attacks. I don't know how I missed that.

    Pain Split by far isn't the best recovery move, but easy to work around? Switch in a Pokemon with low HP to take Pain Split, while spikes are up... Pain Split is a great move for Weezing.

    Lastly, Zero offensive presence? *Looks at Skarmory and Deoyxs-D* Meh, I disagree on that. I prefer Taunt over Brave Bird to stop the ever so popular Ferrothorn.
    YOU use taunt... btw ferrothorn can be whirlwinded or spiked...

    deoxys-D can always use calm mind or night shade (like chansey and dusclops who are both really good)
    Last edited by Ilan; 29th March 2012 at 10:18 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Meteor View Post
    Lastly, Zero offensive presence? *Looks at Skarmory and Deoyxs-D* Meh, I disagree on that. I prefer Taunt over Brave Bird to stop the ever so popular Ferrothorn.
    Deoxys-D is usually used as a lead instead of a wall anyway, and it just spikes and screens until it's down. Skarmory can still threaten it's counters with whirlwind.
    YOU use taunt... btw ferrothorn can be whirlwinded or spiked...
    Actually, taunt turns Ferrothorn into a set up fodder, since Skarmory x4 resist both of it's attacks. Besides, it stops ferrothorn from getting and SR, T-wave, or an extra layer of spikes before being hit by whirlwind.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

  12. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Meteor View Post
    Lastly, Zero offensive presence? *Looks at Skarmory and Deoyxs-D* Meh, I disagree on that. I prefer Taunt over Brave Bird to stop the ever so popular Ferrothorn.
    If you're using Taunt on Skarmory instead of Brave Bird, you're just asking for the opponent to Taunt Skarm and force you into Struggle. In addition to what BH was saying, walls also generally need to run some sort of offensive utility (Skarm's Brave Bird, Ferro's Gyro Ball/Power Whip, Jellicent's Scald, Blissey's Seismic Toss/Flamethrower/whatever, etc.) to keep from being Taunt bait, and while they're running that offensive utility move, they might as well be good at it. While Weezing can do that fairly well with a decent base 85 SpA stat and a solid STAB move, as well as decent coverage moves, Koffing cannot.

    Oh yeah, and posting this...

    lol, envy Blissey's offenses, do you even know how walling works? You know, if a Pokemon has a massively huge special attack of 85 with NO boosting moves, it's best used as an attacker!
    Offensive Blissey, because when I think Blissey, I give it moves like Earthquake, Rock Slide, Wild Charge and Present. Why not? Did ya see dat that 10 physical attack? With STAB present I have a 10% chance to bust out 120 base damage! Oh and 20% chance to heal my opponent 50% health.
    I did some calcs and it takes 10 hits to kill Sunkern with Rock Slide, yay! Get this, only 2 hits to kill Pichu with Earthquake! Poor Pichu's 20/15/30 defenses it never stood a chance.
    With that 75 special attack, it's obviously a special attacker, silly me, give it specs and teach it Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Shadowball and Hyper Beam.
    ...was a really bad idea. You could have left that part out, still made the same point, and not sounded like such a smart aleck.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Village Bridge
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    NOPE

    10char
    I give up.
    ...Well, if you think I'm gonna type my name in some rediculous swirly cursive font, well, that's not happening. At least for now.



    "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" -Steve Wozniak

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quick, we need some gas puns!

    Um....Kick Gas?
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Village Bridge
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Quick, we need some gas puns!

    Um....Kick Gas?
    Is there a "post twice within 5 minutes in same forum" rule? Tell me if there is ._.

    Gass Cannon
    I hope that Turtwig brought it's gas mask
    Cargastrophe (can't spell that great, might be pun gone wrong)
    ...Well, if you think I'm gonna type my name in some rediculous swirly cursive font, well, that's not happening. At least for now.



    "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" -Steve Wozniak

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Why are you asking...?
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    I'd just like to say that Umbreon and Weezing make one of the best Wall combinations ever.

    The two quite litterally completely cover eachother's weaknesses- Umbreon is immune to Weezing's sole weakness in Psychic (and most psychic move users are special attackers, which is great when you consider Umbreon's godly special defense) while Weezing resists both of Umbreon's weaknesses in Bug and Fighting (And, again, Fighting and Bug type attackers are typically physical. However, the lower teirs have a lot of specially focused bug-type attackers, such as Venomoth, Yanmega, and Galvantula). But the combo doesn't end with their typing and complementary defensive stats- Weezing has no way to heal itself outside of Pain Split which, while a good move, can be less than optimal at times. That's where Umbreon's Wish comes in. The move allows Umbreon to heal it's partner simply by switching after using the move (Or using Baton Pass- And the rest of the team can also benifit from Umbreon's gratuitous healing). The best part? Thanks to Gen V's new wish mechanics, Umbreon's heafty Wishes will actually heal more than half of Weezing's health, due to a higher HP stat. But don't even start to think that Umbreon is all that holds the combo together- Weezing carries something Umbreon wishes (no pun intended) he had- Will-O-Wisp. The ability to easily inflict the foe with both residual damage and a 50% cut to their attack stat makes the combo work like glue and allowing them to do exactly what walls do- hold the foe off and wear them down either to nothing, or until a heavy-hitting teammate can come in and smash right through the crippled team.
    "Open your mouth too wide, and your ears close."

    Do you wish you could do things like in the anime?
    Do you wish you could dodge behind a rock to avoid an attack?
    Do you wish that you could use the arena to stop your opponents cold?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League could be for you!

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Meteor View Post
    I double checked calcs and you're right, Koffing takes 2% more damage against special attacks. I don't know how I missed that.
    Its closer to 10% which is important as Koffing, AGAIN, has no Leftovers recovery. Koffing has only 7% higher defenses which it literally useless when Weezing has Leftovers.

    This is why Koffing sucks even at taking Physical hits

    Koffing switches in on a physical attack. Takes 50% from CB TTar Stone Edge. 50% HP remaining.
    Weezing switches in. Takes about 46.5%. Heals 6.25% from Leftovers. 52.75% remaining.

    Ok so Koffing takes hits from both spectrums worse. It hits like a flower with its 60 base Special Attack. It can't even 2HKO Skarmory with Flamethrower. Its a bad choice.

    Pain Split by far isn't the best recovery move, but easy to work around? Switch in a Pokemon with low HP to take Pain Split, while spikes are up... Pain Split is a great move for Weezing.
    Pain Split is very easy to work around. Avoid switching in your Blissey and its not hard to stop. Much of the time you don't gain more than 30% and the other side loses 30%. While this is nice it won't keep Weezing around forever.

    Lastly, Zero offensive presence? *Looks at Skarmory and Deoyxs-D*
    Yeah, because Spiking / Rocking / Whirlwinding isn't dangerous? A few turns of Spikes early on is arguably more terrifying than any one sweeper.

    Meh, I disagree on that. I prefer Taunt over Brave Bird to stop the ever so popular Ferrothorn.
    Cool, but Taunt / Whirlwind / Spikes is FAR more than Koffing will ever do.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Quick, we need some gas puns!

    Um....Kick Gas?
    LOL

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Emo Cave
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Quick, we need some gas puns!

    Um....Kick Gas?
    i second this

    Credit to the amazing Lunar <3 and EG and BH :3

  19. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Quick, we need some gas puns!

    Um....Kick Gas?
    The following I saved for the occasion. Laugh hard, if you will:

    Laughing gas is laughing at you. As I wall.
    Bit of Helium in your way.
    Quit smoking, it's nasty!
    The pun of a smoke alarm.
    I just go BOOM!
    Needs deodorant or mint breath (Take your pick)
    Gas-oline the room, then strike a match!
    Knocks the wind outta ya (or kicks, if you want!)
    Tear Gas? Who needs that when you got me!
    I am flammable. And you?
    Caution: (insert pun)
    Last edited by SwiftGrovyle; 30th March 2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Spacing and more.
    Apparently, I can't claim Larvesta. But who cares?
    It's still the cutest bug eva!

    I am The Grovyle, that friend in a high place.

    The craziest battle I ever had- Toxic spikes supported baton passing team, with a Splashing Wailord. And won. You have to try it!

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
    I'd just like to say that Umbreon and Weezing make one of the best Wall combinations ever.

    The two quite litterally completely cover eachother's weaknesses- Umbreon is immune to Weezing's sole weakness in Psychic (and most psychic move users are special attackers, which is great when you consider Umbreon's godly special defense) while Weezing resists both of Umbreon's weaknesses in Bug and Fighting (And, again, Fighting and Bug type attackers are typically physical. However, the lower teirs have a lot of specially focused bug-type attackers, such as Venomoth, Yanmega, and Galvantula). But the combo doesn't end with their typing and complementary defensive stats- Weezing has no way to heal itself outside of Pain Split which, while a good move, can be less than optimal at times. That's where Umbreon's Wish comes in. The move allows Umbreon to heal it's partner simply by switching after using the move (Or using Baton Pass- And the rest of the team can also benifit from Umbreon's gratuitous healing). The best part? Thanks to Gen V's new wish mechanics, Umbreon's heafty Wishes will actually heal more than half of Weezing's health, due to a higher HP stat. But don't even start to think that Umbreon is all that holds the combo together- Weezing carries something Umbreon wishes (no pun intended) he had- Will-O-Wisp. The ability to easily inflict the foe with both residual damage and a 50% cut to their attack stat makes the combo work like glue and allowing them to do exactly what walls do- hold the foe off and wear them down either to nothing, or until a heavy-hitting teammate can come in and smash right through the crippled team.
    HOW COULD YOU FORGET ONE OF THE MOST PROMINENT SPECIAL BUG TYPE POKEMON! VOLCARONA! THE BEST BUG TYPE EVER! ALTHOUGH ITS TYPING IS TRULY HORRIBLE! IT CAN USE FLY! FLYYYYY! AND IT HAS FLAME BODY! IT'S THE PERFECT BREEDING... I think I've gone too far. I like your ideas. :3 However, be wary of Flash Fire Pokemon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melonhead215 View Post
    Is there a "post twice within 5 minutes in same forum" rule? Tell me if there is ._.

    Gass Cannon
    I hope that Turtwig brought it's gas mask
    Cargastrophe (can't spell that great, might be pun gone wrong)
    I think it'd be better as Catgastrophe. Not so much Car gas trophe.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    If you're using Taunt on Skarmory instead of Brave Bird, you're just asking for the opponent to Taunt Skarm and force you into Struggle. In addition to what BH was saying, walls also generally need to run some sort of offensive utility (Skarm's Brave Bird, Ferro's Gyro Ball/Power Whip, Jellicent's Scald, Blissey's Seismic Toss/Flamethrower/whatever, etc.) to keep from being Taunt bait, and while they're running that offensive utility move, they might as well be good at it. While Weezing can do that fairly well with a decent base 85 SpA stat and a solid STAB move, as well as decent coverage moves, Koffing cannot.

    Oh yeah, and posting this...



    ...was a really bad idea. You could have left that part out, still made the same point, and not sounded like such a smart aleck.
    Why are you guys talking about Skarmory?

    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftGrovyle View Post
    The following I saved for the occasion. Laugh hard, if you will:

    Laughing gas is laughing at you. As I wall.
    Bit of Helium in your way.
    Quit smoking, it's nasty!
    The pun of a smoke alarm.
    I just go BOOM!
    Needs deodorant or mint breath (Take your pick)
    Gas-oline the room, then strike a match!
    Knocks the wind outta ya (or kicks, if you want!)
    Tear Gas? Who needs that when you got me!
    I am flammable. And you?
    Caution: (insert pun)
    Hmm... I think "I Kick Gas" should go after Caution:
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678


    Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

    Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    476

    Default

    "Cannon Monoxide"
    Stats: Modest, Max Sp.Atk & HP, rest Defense or Sp.Def
    Item: Choice Specs
    Moves: Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt

    Purely damage output. Easy to remember, hard to forget, decent against Trick Room Pokemon when it expires.

    Alternate Moves for Weezing:
    -Psybeam - Yes, it's weak, but it's mostly for Fighting Types and other Poison Types.
    -Stockpile - Only to boost your Defense and Sp.Def, but pairs well enough with Pain Split.
    -Torment - Mostly to screw with Choice users.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

    Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •