Thread: Art I made, want to know what you think of them.

Default Art I made, want to know what you think of them.

I made these because I'm thinking of making a shop.

Banners:

Silhouettes:

Recolor/Retype

Very good! I think the best one you can do is, well, all of these! Their awesome!

The silhouettes are nice. I like em
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

Nice retouching on the images--I really love what you did with Tepig there! Keep up the great work!
    Pokemon Black FC: 0733 8611 3451 (Rin)

Pokemon Global Link Username: RinRinWIN

Pokedex Completion: 646/646 (Excluding Genesect, Keldeo, and Meloetta).

Hours played: 215

Looking for a WIN2011 Celebi, and a shiny event Entei--PM me if you're interested.

I have starters from all regions--bred and not hacked. PM if interested.

I love to trade and battle--PM me with your FC if you're up to the challenge.

If you're just beginning then I guess it's fine to expect this.
    But nevertheless I'll give you some tips if you don't mind...

Firstly, I noticed that your renders (or the backgroundless pictures) vary in quality which leads me to believe that you might be saving some of them as .jpg, .jpeg or as a .gif file. Now what that does is it lowers the pictures quality, try saving all renders as a .png from now on.

Now I don't know what program you are using but don't be afraid to look up some tutorials since (I'm going to be extremely blunt here) everything here just seems so... amateur. Hope that doesn't go the wrong way.

Overall just work slowly and try to produce the best product you can cause things like this can happen...

Good Luck!

Pretty sure these belong in one of the subforums, anyway, since they're edits and not drawings.

If I may ask, what program are you using for these? All of them look very... MS Paint-y, to be honest. It'd be one thing if the backgrounds were the only simple things, but your skill with cutting out and modifying images needs work, too. There's JPEG artifacts all over the place from the shoddy cut-out job, especially on darker backgrounds, and some of the images are really poorly resized -- Flygon was sized up too much and looks very blocky as a result, and the Gyarados looks off in aspect ratio. As a general rule, you should 1) never size up images, only down, and try to work with the biggest size you can find, and 2) avoid resizing anything more in one direction than the other, or it'll look skewed (the Gyarados looks way too vertically squashed, which means you pulled it down and didn't change the horizontal size to reasonably match).

The other graphics have the same problem with artifacts and lack of smoothness, too. The Oddish especially has no shading, and the artifacts make it visible where you color-filled over the original shading with the base color, but didn't go any further. The composition on the Flygon and Magikarp/Gyarados banners is rather... all over the place, at that; it kind of looks like you just pasted the images on the canvas with no rhyme or reason as to where they should go or why. As a result, it looks messy.

...And I have no idea what happened with that upper right corner of the Flygon banner, either.

But I am going to second the suggestion to slow down. I have a feeling these took less than an hour to produce total, and rushing is not going to help you in the end. You do need to be meticulous and careful about what you're doing, even in banner-making and graphics editing.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Most people should never use Sugomori (is that how you spell his name) art in images. Especially if you're just going to slap them on some other banner. Everything in the Flygon banner doesn't look right. The Pokémon don't fit in with the background and the same goes with the clouds. The clouds are kinda ugly, too. The text is plain and looks like it was made from MS Paint's Text Tool. Plain text does not look good in banners.

In your second banner, the Pokémon still have white fuzz on them which makes it look bad. Again, plain black text. The third banner is not so great either.

The silhouettes are cool, but you could really remove that dreaded white background.

Your recolor looks bad. Sugomori art is hard to work with and you should only recolor sprites.

I used a mix of MS Paint and Paint.NET, mainly Paint.NET. Thanks on the tip on the .png filing. I know about the mistake in the Flygon banner, I was too lazy to fix it.
    Yeah, they're my first.
    Last edited by "Spite" DefaultAsAwesome; 26th March 2012 at 9:45 PM.

Except, yes, you do use Sugimori's art. Flygon, Swablu, Absol, Zorua, Gyarados, and Tepig are all his drawings. The others' quality is too bad for me to really tell. This doesn't belong in the main fan art section since these are not original drawings (or even traces for that matter). Always find the best possible renders if you're going to use preexisting art. I agree with everything Asuka said otherwise.