Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Creative and Innovative Movesets Thread (Read The Rules in the OP before Posting!)

whoops, nvm then (i'm a dumb *** obv)

I chase the dream, not the competition.

How about this: LO + Recover on anything and everything that can get it. I'm not just talking things like LO + Recover Starmie, I'm talking LO + Slack Off Infernape, LO + Recover Latios, LO + Softboiled Mew, whatever. I've found that sometimes you can just throw a recovery move on a LO sweeper and it really changes the game against a lot of Pokemon. Some teams rely on passive damage to stack with recoil on these sweepers as a method of wearing them down, but what are you going to do when they start healing themselves? Some of the tankier ones like Latios and Celebi can just take weaker STAB attacks off of bulkier Pokemon and keep healing off what little damage they suffer, while frailer ones like Infernape can just get a little healing whenever they cause a switch (which Infernape does a lot).

This kinda falls under the same category as Substitute + 3 Attacks, which can just be thrown onto a number of offensive Pokemon for (usually) good results.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    How about this: LO + Recover on anything and everything that can get it. I'm not just talking things like LO + Recover Starmie, I'm talking LO + Slack Off Infernape, LO + Recover Latios, LO + Softboiled Mew, whatever. I've found that sometimes you can just throw a recovery move on a LO sweeper and it really changes the game against a lot of Pokemon. Some teams rely on passive damage to stack with recoil on these sweepers as a method of wearing them down, but what are you going to do when they start healing themselves? Some of the tankier ones like Latios and Celebi can just take weaker STAB attacks off of bulkier Pokemon and keep healing off what little damage they suffer, while frailer ones like Infernape can just get a little healing whenever they cause a switch (which Infernape does a lot).

This kinda falls under the same category as Substitute + 3 Attacks, which can just be thrown onto a number of offensive Pokemon for (usually) good results.

A good idea on everything you listed except Infernape. Slack Off could be viable on a special set, but it could be harder on a physical one; what with all the additional recoil from Flare Blitz and def. drops from Close Combat combined with natural fraility making Infernape's time on the field so brief. Especially the def. drops, those make it's total Hp a bit of a mute point. That and it competes for a move slot with Infernape's many ultility and coverage moves. Maybe on a scout set, hit hard and retreat a few times, then Slack Off LO damage when they're expecting a U-Turn.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershark View Post
    A good idea on everything you listed except Infernape. Slack Off could be viable on a special set, but it could be harder on a physical one; what with all the additional recoil from Flare Blitz and def. drops from Close Combat combined with natural fraility making Infernape's time on the field so brief. Especially the def. drops, those make it's total Hp a bit of a mute point. That and it competes for a move slot with Infernape's many ultility and coverage moves. Maybe on a scout set, hit hard and retreat a few times, then Slack Off LO damage when they're expecting a U-Turn.
    The reasoning behind it is that after Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil, as well as other passive damage, Infernape often finds itself dying to its own devices more often than opposing attacks. The point of Slack Off isn't too make Infernape into a tank, but to help make sure that it can sweep more often. Infernape often causes switches, as I'm sure you're aware, which is a prime opportunity to get some HP back, which will give Infernape enough HP to launch another couple of attacks. It falls in the same vein as LO Starmie with Recover.

As for coverage, Flare Blitz/Close Combat/Stone Edge covers just about everything you'll need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    The reasoning behind it is that after Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil, as well as other passive damage, Infernape often finds itself dying to its own devices more often than opposing attacks. The point of Slack Off isn't too make Infernape into a tank, but to help make sure that it can sweep more often. Infernape often causes switches, as I'm sure you're aware, which is a prime opportunity to get some HP back, which will give Infernape enough HP to launch another couple of attacks. It falls in the same vein as LO Starmie with Recover.

As for coverage, Flare Blitz/Close Combat/Stone Edge covers just about everything you'll need to worry about.

Which is why I suggested a set with U-Turn to optimize Infernape's chances of coming in to cause switches as it relies almost exclusively forcing switches to succesfully use Slack Off. You lose the coverage of Stone Edge, but gain coverage against Psychic's as well as the ability to switch in and out without sacrificing offensive pressure. It would also fit in nicely on a volt-turn team such as all the one's that are popular now. You could run Stone Edge over U-Turn, but I think that would make it harder for Infernape to use Slack Off effectively. As for Starmie, it's moves don't have near the recoil issues of Infernape's and is a good deal faster, meaning it outspeeds and checks a lot of sweepers (some of who outspeed and check Infernape) naturally causing a few more switches than the ape. It's not that I have problem with recovery moves (in fact I'm probably the opposite, running them whenever I can), but it just seems something that would be difficult to pull off on Infernape, and pales in comparison to the coverage and ease of Flare Blitz/ Close Combat/ Stone Edge/ U-Turn. Not to mention it's other physical moves: Earthquake, Thunderpunch, and Mach Punch; and the whole other spectrum of special moves.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

I ran across this set looking at my old Pokemon.

Torterra @ life orb/leftovers
    Adamant
    Overgrowth
    252 hp/252 atk/4 spd
    Synthesis
    Rock polish
    Earthquake
    Stone edge/ wood hammer

I made this set a long time ago, here is how it works. 95/105/85 defenses aren't to bad, so you rock polish until you get +6 spd. Then you either go on the offensive or heal up with synthesis. Stone edge is for flying types while wood hammer can be a good stab. Obviously it won't work in the now weather infested Ou, unless you want to run it in sun.

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post

Adamant
    Overgrowth
    252 hp/252 atk/4 spd
    Synthesis
    Rock polish
    Earthquake
    Stone edge/ wood hammer

I made this set a long time ago, here is how it works. 95/105/85 defenses aren't to bad, so you rock polish until you get +6 spd. Then you either go on the offensive or heal up with synthesis. Stone edge is for flying types while wood hammer can be a good stab. Obviously it won't work in the now weather infested Ou, unless you want to run it in sun.
    Actually, a good partner to this one may be Charizard. It won't be affected by EQ and its x4 Weakness can be covered by one of Charizard's Fire Moves. Also, Charizard's x4 is covered by Torterra. Charizard can also cover quite a bit. Plus, it can use Sunny Day and still benefit from it as well as torterra.
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678

Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post

Adamant
    Overgrowth
    252 hp/252 atk/4 spd
    Synthesis
    Rock polish
    Earthquake
    Stone edge/ wood hammer

Synthesis is useless outside the sun since it only provides 25% recovery... This is basically the standard rock polish set with synthesis when that slot can be used to have eq,wood hammer and stone edge (torterra needs all the coverage it can get to sweep)

~Credits to Extroph~

Quote Originally Posted by jirachiuser1 View Post
    Synthesis is useless outside the sun since it only provides 25% recovery... This is basically the standard rock polish set with synthesis when that slot can be used to have eq,wood hammer and stone edge (torterra needs all the coverage it can get to sweep)
    Synthesis is 25% in rain, 50% in clear skies, 66% in sun.
    Pkmn W: 3181 5617 3649
    Pkmn W2: 1464 4040 1673
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/rbijc4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii.net
    This move recovers its HP depending upon the weather. If no weather is in effect, it heals the user by 50% of their maximum Hit Points. If Sunny Day is in effect, this move heals the user by 66.66% of its maximum Hit Points and if Rain Dance, Hail or Sandstorm is in effect, this move heals the user by 25% of their maximum Hit Points
    Yes, it is risky running synthesis with rain and sandstorm so common, unless you are running sun as stated.

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by jirachiuser1 View Post
    As thatjeremykid stated, it's more than that out of weather. I don't use smogon unless I'm completely stumped on a set, or need a hard counter for something. Lastly, this is more of a tank set than a sweeping set, otherwise I would not have mentioned its defenses.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Clear Smog
    - Recover
    - Yawn

Hazer gastordon he is bulky enough to do it and it is no long a set up fodder..
    Scald is STAB and it also have the useful burn, clear smog is a offensive haze which sadly doesn't affect steel types.., recover is a must on every gastordon bulky set it brings durability to him, yawn is to pseudo haze steel types.. except the ones who use subtitute..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    That's just a physical hydreigon not that strong... it's pre-evolution can do better

Shuckle (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Power Split
    - Rollout
    - Rest
    - Defense Curl

This thing is just a BEAST nothing can 0HKO it and if something can it have sturdy..
    Power split just ruin all the attackers just ALL of them and powers up rollout, defense curl also raises the uninverted defece (+6= 2000 defense!) and rollout power, rest is a recovery move..

This set was posted in a POTW thread that was used in a video it can be really good if used right but prediction must be perfect... h and power split prevent set up sweepers from doing a GG and rollout can beat lot's of things especially after a power split

Was pretty successful at NU but that's all...
    That is a sweet Shuckle lol. I don't know much else you could do with it though...

Swampert@Lefties
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
    Ability: Torrent
    Nature: Adamant
    Moves:
    -Substitute
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch
    One time when I saw Swampy could have 404 HP I thought of making a sub set and it really works. I set up a sub when someone switches out. Seismic Toss can't take out the sub in one hit. EQ and Waterfall are STAB. Ice Punch kills Grass types that can't touch you when your behind a sub. EVs maximize attacking power.

Lucario@Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 SpA
    Ability: Justified
    Nature: Brave
    Moves:
    -Work Up
    -Extreme Speed
    -Bullet Punch
    -Vacuum Wave
    I just made this set today and made a team with him. It works great. People switch out expecting a Close Combat. That's when I set up a Work Up, even though it can function without one. Bullet Punch and Vacuum Wave is STAB with priority so I don't wory about being outsped. E-Speed is more powerful priority. The boost in Atk and SpA makes him hit hard. Him being mixed offenses makes him very surprising to the opponent. EVs maximize hitting power while not having to worry about having no speed because all of his attacks are priority. Same goes for Brave nature.
    Mudkip.

The fact that your Lucario lack of a strong move really hurts him. You might want to consider something else over Bullet Punch.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

I actually thought about that, and I did a lot of plah testing with him on PO (laddering on the Smogon server) and he worked just fine, and I used Bullet Punch plenty, and wasn't hindered by lack of strong moves.
    Mudkip.

I forgot about this set;

NapeOut (infernape) @ normal gem
    Blaze
    Jolly
    4 hp/252 atk/ 252 spd
    Fake out
    Acrobatics
    Close combat
    Flare blitz

So here is how the set works; Infernape comes in and gets a boosted fake out (no smogon set currently runs fake out). Then you can follow up with whichever attack you want, flare blitz and close combat are stab, while acrobatics gets a power up after the fake out. You could also run it rash, change up the eve's to something like 128/128/252 offenses and use flamethrower and vacuum wave. Both stabs and now it would be priority abusive

I thought of a Spinner that can counter Spin Blockers.

Kabutops
    Swift Swim
    Jolly/Adamant
    4 HP?252 Atk/252 Spd
    Dark Gem

Rapid Spin
    Night Slash
    Rain Dance/Rock Polish/Stone Edge
    Aqua Jet/Waterfall

You don't need Rain Dance for long since you just need it for the speed boost. You could free up a space for another strong move like Stone Edge by having someone else use Rain Dance (but no drizzletoeds since it's illegal) or Rock Polish which does essentially the same thing as Swift Swim. Rapid Spin because you need it for Kabutops to be a Spinner. Night Slash is super effective against all Ghost types except for two which are the ones with no weaknesses. Then Aqua Jet for Priority or Waterfall for a strong STAB.

Hitmon Pokemon

Hitmonchan
    Iron Fist
    Jolly/Adamant
    4 HP?252 Atk/252 Spd
    Dark Gem

Rapid Spin
    Sucker Punch
    Thunderpunch/Ice Punch/Fire Punch/Sky Uppercut
    Thunderpunch/Ice Punch/Fire Punch/Foresight

Sucker Punch is super effective. Doesn't get powered up by Iron Fist though. Then there's the elemental punches which are nice and Sky Uppercut which IS powered up by Sky Uppercut. Foresight allows you to hit with Sky Uppercut and Rapid Spin.

Hitmonlee
    Reckless/Unburden
    Jolly/Adamant
    4 HP?252 Atk/252 Spd
    Dark Gem

Rapid Spin
    Foresight
    Hi Jump Kick
    Sucker Punch

Rapid Spin, and Hi Jump Kick are able to hit ghosts after Foresight. Then Sucker Punch is strong against ghosts.

Hitmontop
    Technician/Intimidate
    Jolly/Adamant
    4 HP?252 Atk/252 Spd
    Dark Gem

Rapid Spin
    Sucker Punch
    Foresight
    Close Combat

Foresight with Rapid Spin and Close Combat... Again... Then Sucker Punch hits ghosts hard.

Another option is Pursuit. If you Foresight a Ghost-type, more than likely they're gonna get a little scared so they may switch out. Another thing, Pursuit when they switch is just as strong as Sucker Punch.

Any Pokemon that gets Mean Look and Destiny Bond I believe is a creative moveset. I've done it before and had success with it. Cofagrigus under Trick Room and Gengar work especially well. If you don't get what this combination of moves does, I'll explain it. Use Mean Look to trap the Pokemon. Then, use Destiny Bond on the next turn. This way, the opponent has no choice but to take your Pokemon down, and when they do, their Pokemon also faints. The only ways to escape this is if the opponent has shed shell, uses U-Turn, or uses Volt Switch. This tactic is somewhat situational though.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Any Pokemon that gets Mean Look and Destiny Bond I believe is a creative moveset. I've done it before and had success with it. Cofagrigus under Trick Room and Gengar work especially well. If you don't get what this combination of moves does, I'll explain it. Use Mean Look to trap the Pokemon. Then, use Destiny Bond on the next turn. This way, the opponent has no choice but to take your Pokemon down, and when they do, their Pokemon also faints. The only ways to escape this is if the opponent has shed shell, uses U-Turn, or uses Volt Switch. This tactic is somewhat situational though.
    Well, it kind of waste two moveslots for what used to be explosion, and is easily avoided with any non-attacking more with 5+ base pp, so it'll only work on choiced pokemon or all-out-attackers.
    I thought of a Spinner that can counter Spin Blockers.
    None of those are really counters, though. Kabutops will struggle with Gengar unless it predicts the swap out, so it's not even a check. And the hitmons? They have nothing for Dusklops or Jellicent. They'll just get burned.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Gengar@Life Orb
    Timid
    Levitate
    4 HP/252 SpAtt/252 Spe
    -Destiny Bond
    -HP-Fire/Protect/Taunt
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast

This set has a lot of surprise value on an offensive team and can do its job surprisingly well. The role of Gengar is really a sweeper in this sense, but it can be used as a one time sacrifice to remove your team of powerful HO sweepers to clear the way for yours. This set bluffs LO Gengar sets (SubSplit and Sub + 3 attacks), dragging in things that would RK it, such as TTar, Scizor, and pretty much any powerful sweeper in general. with a Timid 110 Spe, it pretty much outspeeds every single boosting sweeper in OU (and speed ties with Latios). Simply put, it can stop SD and CB Terrakion, SD and CB Haxorus, SD Virizion, Infernape, Tyranitar, SD and CB Landorus, non-scarf Rotom-W, and much more. It can also make speed-boosting sweepers a little hesitant towards attacking, such as DD Dragonite, RP Terrakion, and other stuff.

You could also theoretically run a Scarf set to counter all of the Speed boosters out there, but I feel it really hinders Gengar's ability as a lure and killer.

EDIT: Also, it's a decent way of removing spinners, though Starmie beats his Gengar's *** one - on - one, and Tentacruel takes his hits all day and set up on its D-Bonds.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Here's one I just thought of

Honchkrow: Super Luck/Moxie
    Persian: Limber
    Skuntank: Stench
    Nature: Timid or Jolly. Can vary whether or not you need bulk
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spd 4 to Def or Sp Def. Can vary whether you need more bulk in one defense or not.

Swagger
    Foul Play
    Screech
    Filler

It could use some Fighting Support because it's super effective against two of the types that Foul Play is weak against and gets neutral against the other. Doesn't cover all fighting combinations though... That's what the Filler move is for. Foul Play can't hit without neutral damage. Now let me see what else... From what I know about Foul Play... Which I'm assuming is correct it's based on the opponent's attack and defense stat. That means with Swagger you raise the opponent's attack. Screech lowers their defense and Foul Play becomes a deadly burden for the opponent. There are three Pokemon that are actually worth trying this set; Honchkrow, Skuntank, Persian. Honchkrow has bulk but low speed. Persian has high speed, but low bulk. Skuntank is the middle ground. It has nice bulk and nice speed. Not the best, but still, it's middle ground. Skuntank's probably the best since it gets the STAB and only has one weakness. Same goes for Persian only without the STAB. Honchkrow has three and does have STAB. They all have one complete and absolute resistance which is cool too.

Wow, I need to keep track of this, will edit this post later with the approved/rejected movesets!

I chase the dream, not the competition.

@ Stone Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Judgment
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Substitute

This set is supposed to be used on a Sandstorm Ubers team. With it's high Physical Defense it can take many attacks from many strong Pokémon in the ubers metagame: Dialga, Ho-oh, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Defensive Groudon, Jirachi. Calm Mind let's it set up in sandstorm meaning that special attackers will do absolutely nothing after a few boosts. The rock typing is almost not resisted in ubers. Only by Ground / Rachi / Arceus-Steel and a few more Pokémon is ubers. Groudon, being one of them isn't much of a Specially Defensive wall so it could possibly fall after a few Judgements if it has some damage already done on it. Once it gets a sub up it is very hard to take down. Especially once a Phazor is gone. The draw back to this set is that Kyogre is a major challenge because it loses the Special Defense boost, and Water Spout is super effective. But if Arceus has a sub it can hit it with a Judgement before hand to weaken the Water Spout.
    Goodbye friends. My Pokémon drive is reaching zero, so I'm gonna go do other stuffs. Love you all. c:

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ❤Lady Baltny❤ View Post
    @ Stone Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Judgment
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Substitute

This set is supposed to be used on a Sandstorm Ubers team. With it's high Physical Defense it can take many attacks from many strong Pokémon in the ubers metagame: Dialga, Ho-oh, Forretress, Ferrothorn, Defensive Groudon, Jirachi. Calm Mind let's it set up in sandstorm meaning that special attackers will do absolutely nothing after a few boosts. The rock typing is almost not resisted in ubers. Only by Ground / Rachi / Arceus-Steel and a few more Pokémon is ubers. Groudon, being one of them isn't much of a Specially Defensive wall so it could possibly fall after a few Judgements if it has some damage already done on it. Once it gets a sub up it is very hard to take down. Especially once a Phazor is gone. The draw back to this set is that Kyogre is a major challenge because it loses the Special Defense boost, and Water Spout is super effective. But if Arceus has a sub it can hit it with a Judgement before hand to weaken the Water Spout.
    why the spread and substitute pver willowisp? Also, that is a standard set
    Guns don't kill people. I kill people.

Wisemon (Xatu) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Haze
    - Night Shade
    - Roost
    - Toxic

A very useful Pokémon to be used in the Übers tier for a wide variety of reasons. Firstly, not only can it reflect entry hazards and counter Lugia like just about any other Magic Bounce Pokémon, but it also completely walls Ferrothorn, one of the most common users of Spikes and Stealth Rock in the tier, which is extremely helpful, as Sun teams absolutely dread Stealth Rock, while in the absence of a Magic Bounce Pokémon (or even in the presence of an Espeon or a Xatu that lacks the physical bulk this one possesses), rain teams have an incredibly hard time preventing Ferrothorn from setting up multiple layers of Spikes, which can also be easily maintained if the opponent's team contains a bulky Ghost-type Pokémon like Arceus-Ghost or Giratina, and this is extremely detrimental. With Roost, Toxic, and its physical bulk, this Xatu can also stall out defensive Groudon to some extent, and Toxic ensures that Chansey and Deoxys-D, two other common entry hazard users, cannot stay in against it to outstall it. Night Shade is its move of choice as it deals the most consistent amount of damage to other Pokémon. And secondly, Haze allows this Xatu to serve as a complete and perfect counter to the Shell Smash + Baton Pass strategy when used by Smeargle, as once set up, this strategy can be exceedingly difficult to stop for most teams.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast