117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Power all the way

37 31.62%
  • Accuracy is more reliable

80 68.38%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power or Accuracy?

Lightbulb Power or Accuracy?

I don't think any thread like this has existed (at least since I've been here) and it's something I want to clear up.
    Something that's come up a bunch of times when making teams is whether to choose a move that's more powerful or more accurate.
    For example, on Heatran, I was considering going with either Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Fire Blast is much stronger, but it can sometimes miss. Personally, I go with an attack that's more reliable.
    So what do you guys think is better? Power or Reliability?
    By the way, Thunder and Thunderbolt is a different matter, as rain is so common now and Thunder is 100% accurate.

It's clear that it depends on the team and the pokemon; there's not much left to discuss. What I'm thinking now is to go for specifics; which pokemon would you use with higher power, versus which pokemon you would use higher accuracy. Make sure to specify the move-set as well.
    For example, on Infernape, I'll generally go for Focus Blast over Hidden Power Fighting, becuase without the raw power of FB, Infernape might faint without getting a KO. He's too frail.
    Anyway, that's the new discussion. Have fun.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Certainly accuracy. Although I do tend to use moves with accuracy below 75% for more power, I usually use accuracy modifiers with them (ie.: hone claws or scope lens).
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Really depends on the situation. Using a Starmie in the rain, I'll definitely go for Hydro Pump. On a Vaporeon, however, I'll stick with accuracy.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 50 Points
    Don't let my post count fool you. I've been around Serebii for a loooong time now. I'm just mostly active in the guild sections these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Really depends on the situation. Using a Starmie in the rain, I'll definitely go for Hydro Pump. On a Vaporeon, however, I'll stick with accuracy.
    Or Scald. This.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

j/s if you're using scald on an offensive mon you're doing something wrong

I like accuracy better. In as many places as I can, I like to go with Rock Slide rather then Stone Edge. Plus, the flinch chance is helpful :3

Credit to FrozenConstellation

I tend to rely on power more,simply because the extra BP turns a lot of 2HKOs into OHKOs, which pretty much determine the wave of the match.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

Image is far too wide. Whitespace within an image counts, it stretches screens. Please check the signature rules.
    [IMG*]http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii592/xPureProdigy69/Eaglehawksfinisheduserbarinwhite.gif[/IMG*]

Spoiler:- In Memoriam:

If you're new to competitive battling and want me to check out your Rate My Team thread, don't be afraid to VM or PM me. I'll be happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    To make powerful even more intense? Personally, I would still go with Surf; I've lost plenty of battles in the rain because Hydro Pump missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieNelson View Post
    I like accuracy better. In as many places as I can, I like to go with Rock Slide rather then Stone Edge. Plus, the flinch chance is helpful :3
    Unless you're in a double battle or something like that, Stone Edge is probably better. There is a huge difference between base 100 power and base 75. Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    Scald is great! On Simipour there's nothing better than Scald! Except for Brine and Surf, but Surf is bad for Doubles if you don't have a water resistant partner and Brine's still weaker until you go below half. I guess it'd be better for DW Simipour. I know it's rarely to never used but I used it for my speed run. There's the chance of a Burn! That makes it better than any other water move that's slightly stronger! Emboar learns it to cover Rock and Ground weaknesses! Which I'll admit is incredibly weird, and it has really poor Special Attack... but it can learn it! And it's a great move for several other Pokemon whose other options for STAB are Hydro Pump and Surf. I prefer Scald over Hydro Pump or Surf ANYDAY!!! :3

I'd much rather have accuracy than power. There's nothing worse than a miss hax. Although, for a new Nidoking I'm goign to use Blizzard, Thunder, and Fire Blast but he'll have Gravity support.
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678

Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

For me its a simple decision. Can the more accurate move get the necessary KOs that are needed to achieve a sweep? If the answer is yes than there is no reason to risk the less accurate stronger move, if the answer is no then I will always go with the stronger move. Even though misses really suck most of the time you can still reliably count on the stronger move to get the job done.
    Some rules are made with all intentions to break
    And she defends it with a warped rationale
    But I've seen what happened to the wicked and proud
    When they decided to take on the throne for the crown

Facebook | Last.fm | Backloggery

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    I meant for Vaporeon.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Its really dependent on ur team, and if you need to take the chance. I generally prefer accuracy(less chances to get haxed) but if a KO is only attainable through a stronger move, then I rarely hesitate to make the change. Accuracy is nice, but supporting the team is the primary goal. If a stronger move is needed, then it really is needed.

Click my Sig to go to our xat!!!

credit to EG and extroph

I tend to prefer powerful moves over accurate ones. I believe that this is reflected in the fact that in Generation II, I used one-hit KO moves in battle probably more than any other person in existence.
    This is a battle. Of course it's gonna be unfair. That which is called 'battle' was a monster originally born of unfairness and intolerance. I can't stand that guy. I can beat that guy. I can't forgive that guy. We make enemies for all sorts of reasons, and from the moment you make an enemy, until one of you draws his last breath - you're in a battle.

Music

Power with Accuracy thats why I did not vote.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until they speak."

~~~Black FC: 0175 6765 7656~~~
    ~~~X FC: 0259 1258 2670~~~

Put it this way, the more powerful move is generally the one you wnt to go for on offensive Pokemon. Stone Edge will have an 80% chance to get the KO that it needs, while in a simlar situation Rock Slide will have a 0% chance to get the KO.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

All depends on the situation. With offensive mon's I'm most likely going with the power as its needed to score more KO's. With defensive mon's accuracy is probably the way to go as they usually need to keep hitting on a consistant basis many times to score KO's, and it can't afford to miss.

GodDamnZilla

I like power. Why? Well, I don't like power for myself only. but its nice to win by that haxy miss.

Other than that power is more preferable because I just like that hit.

Also, some moves only cost little accuracy when you get a big power bonus.

Like for Fire Blast 120 goes to 180 (On Heatran, like you said) and Flamethrower goes to about 140.

So you're getting a 40% power boost while sacrificing only 15% of your accuracy.

Looking for an LC Tutor! Requirements:
    - 6 month minimum experience
    - Appropriate ladder points (1250pts+)
    - PO for communication
    - Must have acceptable schedule

If you have any questions, PM/VM me.

Usually I will go for the more powerful moves, but I'll have things to raise the accuracy like X Accuracy or Hone claws.
    I'll put something here...eventually

To make powerful even more intense? Personally, I would still go with Surf; I've lost plenty of battles in the rain because Hydro Pump missed.
    I've lost even more because Surf lacked the power to KO. Especially in the rain, when the power difference is much larger. You'll lose some battles anyway though.
    Scald is great! On Simipour there's nothing better than Scald! Except for Brine and Surf, but Surf is bad for Doubles if you don't have a water resistant partner and Brine's still weaker until you go below half. I guess it'd be better for DW Simipour. I know it's rarely to never used but I used it for my speed run. There's the chance of a Burn! That makes it better than any other water move that's slightly stronger! Emboar learns it to cover Rock and Ground weaknesses! Which I'll admit is incredibly weird, and it has really poor Special Attack... but it can learn it! And it's a great move for several other Pokemon whose other options for STAB are Hydro Pump and Surf. I prefer Scald over Hydro Pump or Surf ANYDAY!!! :3
    Offensive pokemon try to KO pokemon as quickly as possible, and care less about hindering enemy's stats. It is a great move, but it's more cut out for defensive pokemon.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 50 Points
    Don't let my post count fool you. I've been around Serebii for a loooong time now. I'm just mostly active in the guild sections these days.

I go for power. Mainly because if none of my moves miss, I am essentially using a stronger team.

It really depends on the team though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post

It really depends on the team though.
    I agree with this.

All credit goes to Trickster44!
    Thanks for the awesome UserBars Trickster44!

Basically pick your poison,
    the chance to hit harder but also the possibility of missing in a crucial time in a battle (which almost always happens!)
    or a sure thing but for a weaker effect
    I usually run the risk of power over accuracy; no risk no reward.

Personally I favor accuracy for myself...

..Also I've gotten tired of this a long time ago

"enemy uses "high power low acc move"
    "your poke evades the attack"
    "you only won cause my attack missed"
    Autumn Friendly: 18-4 4 RQ, 1657, 578th place
    International challenge: 16-2 7 RQ 1634
    Spring friendly: 18-0 1721, 173rd

4527 7711 4773 is my 3ds FC,
    Don't have any room for random safari requests :/ Friends list is full as is.

I pick both accuracy and power. Like close combat. Even tbolt is powerful.

Except on scizor. Then I use low power moves. (they actually dish out A LOT of power..)

Quote Originally Posted by Enjyu View Post
    I pick both accuracy and power. Like close combat. Even tbolt is powerful.

Except on scizor. Then I use low power moves. (they actually dish out A LOT of power..)
    I dare you to use Knock Off then.

Personally, I use both depending on the team like lizard said. On bulkier teams that can afford a miss, I use less accurate moves because they can secure a kill. On faster, frailer teams a miss can cost you the game, so I use accuracy on those.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    That's because you have to use a Love Ball, and a Respect Ball. Just trying to force yourself into their life by throwing balls in their face doesn't work.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast