Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Building Help Thread

Default Team Building Help Thread

Get help with your new and incomplete teams here.

For Team Posters
    I'm no mod, so I can't enforce these rules, but it'll make it easier on raters if you follow these.
    1. Don't post unless you've already chosen one team member. If you can't decide on one, just pick a pokemon set you like.
    2. Please choose you team's strategy and tier before posting, it'll help raters choose team members select better candidates for your team.
    3. Only post incomplete teams. If you've already decided on all six team members, make a thread for it.
    4. Try to explain why you use each pokemon. Explain what their job is, and how they help your team.
    5. If you have already chosen more then two pokemon, and you list there entire sets, I suggest using a spoiler tag to conserve space. You can do this by using the code [spoiler=*Name of spoiler here*]*what you're hiding*[*/spoiler] without any of the asterisks.
    6. If you are using standard smogon sets, you can just post each set's name. However, I suggest posting the entire sets, so raters don't have to scratch their memories or look anything up. If you do, please use this format, and if possible, add images(if you need some, they can be found here).
        Spoiler:- Format:

For Raters
    1. Don't just pick a pokemon just because it works for you. If they are using Specially Defensive Heatran don't suggest changing to Balloon tran because you "like it", unless you can give a good reason.
    2. Make sure the pokemon you suggest matches that team's genre. If the poster is making a hyper offense team, don't suggest a Jellicent.
    3. Unless the poster is making a gimmick team, try to avoid suggesting gimmicks. No Cofagirus/Slaking duo or belly drum linoone.
    4. You have to know what you're talking about. If you started playing pokemon competitively only recently, or you lack experience with serious battles, then your advice will probably be unhelpful. Yes, I know, everyone starts somewhere, but it's best you let more experienced members do it.

The rules may change, depending on how this goes. Be sure to check the front post every now and then.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 18th March 2013 at 4:41 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    To get this started, I've been working on a bulky offense team.
        Spoiler:- The Team:
    [/CENTER]
    Comments in bold. I really like this idea. I will probably post a team here soon (:
    Last edited by Hakallowin; 28th March 2012 at 9:24 PM.

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

Quote Originally Posted by Kale12312 View Post
    Comments in bold. I really like this idea. I will probably post a team here soon (:
    Scarf Virizion is an interesting concept, but I'm afraid it's offensive stats are just a little too low. Salamence and D-nite don't take enough damage from HP ice or stone edge to reliably revenge kill at all, and whenever I get a revenge killer, I expect it to handle +1 dragons. I might try Scarf Terrakion, though.

I've tried similar Heatran sets in the past on different teams, and I'll have to say, the offensive set just didn't impress me. I loved the specially defense set, though, so I'll use that(just a more standard one than what you posted).

Edit: Well, I guess I'll just use Scarf Terrakion from here on. Removing the team from the thread.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 29th March 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Good idea, but maybe doing some CCATs would be better.

I dont really have a name for my team but its based around Swampert and trying to sweep
    [spoiler]

Swampert@leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP/196 Def/60 SATK
    Relaxed Nature (+Def -Spd)
    -Stealth Rock
    -Scald
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Beam

My Lead and team definer, Swampert has a diverse move set that makes it a valuable asset. Stealth rock is used to set up entry damage and does 50% damage to Volcarona. I used to have surf for water STAB but opted for scald because of the 30% burn chance. Earthquake handles a variety of types. Ice Beam is there for grass types that dont manage OHKOs and it can take out Salamance and Haxorus in one hit. Leftovers provides some health recovery.

Gengar@leftovers
    trait: levataite
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SATK/252 Speed
    Nature: Mild (+ special attack - Defense)
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Disable
    -Focus Blast

Gengar is used as counter for fighting and Psy types. Fighting moves like Close Combat Infernape have no effect. Shadowball is supposed to knock out Alakazam but I wish I had a better ghost pokemon who isnt killed by Pyhcic. Disable would be more effective if Gengar was faster. The substitute focus blast combo deals with Blissey.

Conkeldurr@ Choice Band
    Trait: Guts
    EVs 252 HP/252 ATK/6 Speed
    Nature Adament
    -Drain Punch
    -Mach Punch
    -Payback
    -Stone Edge
    I orginally used Machamp here but decided to go with the bulkier option. With 414 HP, Conkeldurr is as good of wall as I have. Drain punch gains STAB and works as my recovery move. Mach Punch has Fighting STAB and has priority to make up for the awful speed stat. Payback can take out slower ghosts and get revenge kills. Stone Edge is used to deal with flying types such as Gliscor and can OHKO Gyarados. Choice Band powers moves with already decent type coverage though I find myself being trapped a lot.

Sceptile@ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAttk/252 Speed
    Nature: Timid (+ Speed - Attk)
    -Leaf Storm
    - HP Ice
    -Focus Blast
    -Energy Ball

Septile provides a speedy counter to water and electric types. Leaf Storm is a strong STAB that can OHKO Starmie. Energy Ball is a more accurate Grass attack that can drop enemy Swamperts. HP Ice is there for dragons I might switch it for HP Fire. Lastly focus blast is there for coverage against steel types.

Heatran@Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Satk/4 SpD/252 Speed
    Nature: Timid (+ Speed - ATK)
    -Stealth Rock
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -HP Ice
    Heatran is a valuable defensive part of my team with many offensive capabilities. Heatran serves mostly as my counter to bulky grass types such as Venasuar. Stealth rock is used to set up entry damage in case a spinner removed the one set by Swampret,this used to be explosion for Blissey till it got nerfed, let me know if it would be worth bringing back. Fire Blast is my main attack against grass and steel types, I have considered replacing it with Flamethrower let me know if you think the power trade off is worth an accuracy boost. Earth Power takes out any random pokemon that may be left. I have HP ice on there for now, Ive seen a few sets with Dragon Pulse, let me know if that would be better. Air Balloon stops Earthquake which I found out Heatran is very weak to, the hard way.

Dragonite@ Leftovers
    Trait: MultiScale
    EVs: 252 ATK/4 SDEF/252 Speed
    Nature: Adament
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Extreme Speed
    -Earthquake

Dragonite is pretty much the glue of my team it has strong offensive stats that can revenge kill many types. Dragon Dance is there for a set up move, In my experience, Dragonite seems to do pretty well without using a DD, Fire Punch seems to be a popular move would it be worth the switch? Extreme Speed is a very good priority move that I get a lot of revenge kills with. Earthquake is for electric types, one of Dragonites few weaknesses. I currently have Leftovers on him for recovery, I may change it to a Lum Berry to combat confusion from Outrage.
    [/spoiler]
    Thanks for your help,
    STABX4

Quote Originally Posted by STABX4 View Post
    I dont really have a name for my team but its based around Swampert and trying to sweep
        Spoiler:- spoiler:

Thanks for your help,
    STABX4
    It looks like you've already made the team. This is the team building help thread. Since you've already chosen 6 pokemon, this would be better off with a thread of it's own.

Oh, and by the way, if you want to make something into a spoiler, it'll need to say something. The code is...[*spoiler=*what you want it to say here*]The hidden message[/spoiler], without the *.

Is this the topic for helping pick out which attack sets?

I have the Pokemon picked out, but not the attacks, & have been using Smogon.com to help build the team.

I do not specifically plan on using this in the simulator, which is why I'm using one or two banned pokes. If any of mine are a bad choice, please tell me, & if you know of a good replacement from the 3rd gen or earlier, I'd love hearing your suggestions.

Please note that I want to avoid 4th & 5th gen pokemon where possible, (i.e. no Garchomp, etc) simply because of the connection with the anime that they have to me, & that I wish to go for a creative team slightly based on my favorites, that does not remind me of the whole "promote the 5th gen, suck it to the rest!! " junk that PUSA & Nintento are trying to pull.

I will be thrilled with most evolved forms of 1-3rd gen pokes that are in the 4th-5th gens, such as the Roserade I want on the team. These are the only exceptions, however.

Here they are, no attack sets yet:

Roserade
    Hariyama
    Wobbuffett (attempting the Destiny Bond+ berry trick mentioned on Smogon)
    Starmie
    Blaziken
    Salamence

When choosing them, I was primarily going with "strongest, widely used", so as to have a better chance in the tournaments & WiFi battles.

But I'd like to know of anything that's considered "wrong", or "hard to battle with", etc... that sorta thing.

I also realize there are ways to make the movesets work with each other, to have teamwork in all this. I have the Roselia for Roserade already, with Hidden Power fire on it, in case I end up choosing one of those attack sets. But I have no clue how to set such teamwork up, or how to run it in the way it was meant to run. I've read up on Smogon, but like with my computer classes, (PC build&repair) you can have me read all the articles you want me to, but I won't understand how to do it properly unless you show me, like with a WiFi battle on youtube, or similar.

Siggie by Trickster44, thanks!

Conkeldurr is a solid pokemon to use over Hariyama. Conkledurr has a huge Attack stat, has recovery and priority, and can also take Burn and Poison with ease and benefit. Hariyama just doesn't have the great things that Conkeldurr uses to great success in OU. However, if you are playing on 4th Gen OU, that team looks good, but Infernape would be better than Hariyama.

Conkelderp set:

Conkeldurr@Leftovers
    {Guts}
    Adamant/Careful Nature
    EVs: 224 HP/252 Atk/32 SDef
    -Mach Punch
    -Drain Punch
    -Payback
    -Protect/Bulk Up

Protect can be used for extra recovery, whilst Bulk Up gives it the ability to laugh at most Physical Sweepers at +1, and makes Mach Punch an absolute monstrosity of a move. EVs are from OP, but they give bulk and power with a cushion of sorts against some Special Attacks. You can run 212 HP EVs and run 44 SDef EVs to take them better. If you run the aforementioned spread, you may as well run Adamant, but Careful is viable on both spreads. Conkledurr appreciates the power more than the bulk at times, however.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Hi, I'm considering building a team with the Ledgendary Dogs as a core but I need help choosing the other 3 team members.

Spoiler:- the team so far:

Thanks,
    STABX4
    Last edited by STABX4; 1st April 2012 at 12:09 AM.

Hi, I'm considering building a team with the Ledgendary Dogs as a core but I need help choosing the other 3 team members.

Thanks,
    STABX4
    Standard play or UU?
    Roserade
    Hariyama
    Wobbuffett (attempting the Destiny Bond+ berry trick mentioned on Smogon)
    Starmie
    Blaziken
    Salamence
    It looks rather offensive to me. You could always try Volt Turn, but it seems you won't be too enthusiastic about the Scizor/Rotom-W core, so I'll propose Zapdos/Scizor. It's a simple plan, actually. Send out a pokemon that can cause your enemy to swap out, and use U-turn or Volt Switch. Repeat. Sometimes you'll end up sending out a pokemon that doesn't know either move, though. Starmie would need Rapid Spin then, to remove stealth rock. I'd suggest swapping Hariyama out for one, and maybe Wobuffet, Roserade, or Blaziken for another. If you're going to use Smogon tiers, you should definitely swap out Blaziken, since it's banned from them. Finally, there is the possibility of Celebi>Roserade, for U-turn and Stealth Rock, though spikes can be useful in VoltTurn as well.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 1st April 2012 at 5:45 AM.

Standard play or UU?
    Standard Play

Thanks,
    STABX4
    While I wouldn't recommend doing this(as an idea), I do have some suggestions.

Entei @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    - Flare Blitz
    - Extremespeed
    - Stone Edge
    - Bulldoze

Raikou@ Life Orb
    EVs: 128 HP / 76 Def / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunderbolt
    - HP Ice
    - Substitute

Suicune@Leftovers
    EVs:252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
    Nature:Bold
    - Rest
    - Scald
    - Sleep Talk
    - Calm Mind

Registeel @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Shadow Claw
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Seismic Toss

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Fire Punch
    - U-turn

Xatu (M) @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - U-turn
    - Roost
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect

It's 3:3. Flygon, Raikou, and Entie are sweepers. Suicune is a set up sweeper. Xatu is for screens and bouncing back hazards. Registeel is for defensive back up and help walling. Works even better after screens.

You have dual weaknesses to Ice, Electric, and Ground. Registeel can nom on the first two while two Pokémon are immune to ground.
    Last edited by AlexandriaTheMixed; 2nd April 2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Goodbye friends. My Pokémon drive is reaching zero, so I'm gonna go do other stuffs. Love you all. c:

-Alex

^He/She just said it was standard play, and that looks like a UU team.

I'll do my rate tomorrow.

Entei is not viable in standard. It just isn't. No matter what you do to a team. Raikou and Suicune are UU which Entei is still somewhat viable in, (but out classed by Arcanine). They should be fine using the team in UU. It has much better synergy than most things in OU; as the tiers are played differently.
    Goodbye friends. My Pokémon drive is reaching zero, so I'm gonna go do other stuffs. Love you all. c:

-Alex

So this is where you get help... I need it.

I've got a Bold Politoed, which I hope will be:

Politoed (M) @Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Perish Song

I have a few ideas for the team, such as mixed Dragonite with Thunder and Hurricane. I wanted a hazards Pokemon, so I originally thought of Ferrothorn, but Forretress might be better. This is for OU.

Quote Originally Posted by snivy trainer View Post
    So this is where you get help... I need it.

I've got a Bold Politoed, which I hope will be:

Politoed (M) @Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Perish Song

I have a few ideas for the team, such as mixed Dragonite with Thunder and Hurricane. I wanted a hazards Pokemon, so I originally thought of Ferrothorn, but Forretress might be better. This is for OU.
    Is it going to be a balanced team with no specific strategy?

Forretress is mostly if you want hazards and rapid spin support in one pokemon, but Ferrothorn is if you want an actual wall. Forretress isn't actually much of a wall, because all it does is set up hazards. It's a supportive pokemon, while Ferrothorn can take on much more pokemon 1 on 1.

First of all, I really like this idea. I think it's fantastic.
    The real reason I'm posting this is because I need help building a team. I'm going for bulky offense for the most part, although I'm mostly flexible. I'm working towards OU, just cuz.
        Spoiler:- The team:

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Is it going to be a balanced team with no specific strategy?

Forretress is mostly if you want hazards and rapid spin support in one pokemon, but Ferrothorn is if you want an actual wall. Forretress isn't actually much of a wall, because all it does is set up hazards. It's a supportive pokemon, while Ferrothorn can take on much more pokemon 1 on 1.

Bulky offence, I guess. I just want a team that fits nicely together. This is my first try at competitive battling, so I'm completely unsure. I'd like a Rocks Pokemon, like Ferrothorn or Forretress. That's what I really need, with a bit of help on my offencive Pokemon.

EDIT: I've just worked out a team- Politoed, Jirachi, Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Virizion and Starmie. Ferrothorn carries out hazards, Politoed has Drizzle, Bulky Dragonite and Jirachi are my tanks/walls, with 'Rachi using Wish to keep my team together. Starmie keeps hazards away from my team, mainly from Dragonite, and Virizion is a Swords Dance Sweeper!
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 4th April 2012 at 4:48 PM.

Bulky offence, I guess. I just want a team that fits nicely together. This is my first try at competitive battling, so I'm completely unsure. I'd like a Rocks Pokemon, like Ferrothorn or Forretress. That's what I really need, with a bit of help on my offencive Pokemon.

EDIT: I've just worked out a team- Politoed, Jirachi, Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Virizion and Starmie. Ferrothorn carries out hazards, Politoed has Drizzle, Bulky Dragonite and Jirachi are my tanks/walls, with 'Rachi using Wish to keep my team together. Starmie keeps hazards away from my team, mainly from Dragonite, and Virizion is a Swords Dance Sweeper!
    I tell you reasons why this won't work. But for now I must go. My school needs me!

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaTheMixed View Post
    I tell you reasons why this won't work. But for now I must go. My school needs me!
    It looks like it'll work. I don't quite understand. Type wise, they work fine; I checked.

Ok, this is my first team and I need some help.

My UU team:
    [SPOILER]

Manetric
    Item:Life Orb
    Ability: Lightningrod
    Nature:Timid
    Attacks:
    Thunderbolt
    Overheat
    Hidden Power Ice
    Volt Switch

Bisharp
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Defiant
    Nature: Adamant
    Attacks:
    Swords Dance
    Sucker Punch
    Iron Head
    Substitute

Flygon
    Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
    Ability:Levitate
    Nature: Jolly
    Attacks:
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Roost
    Dragon Claw

Suicune
    Item:Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature:Modest
    Attacks:
    Calm Mind
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Hidden Power Grass

Roserade
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature:Calm
    Attacks:
    Spikes
    Giga Drain
    Synthesis
    Sludge Bomb

Victini
    Item: Expert Belt
    Ability: Victory Star
    Nature: Timid
    Attacks:
    V-Create
    Psychic
    Grass Knot
    Focus Blast
    [/SPOILER]

To tell you the truth, I'm totally clueless about this, and would just appreciate some advice...
    Please Help me out.
    Last edited by rabidepicgoose; 4th April 2012 at 6:55 PM.

Spoiler:- NO H8:

Credit: Sworn Metalhead

Ill look at your team later but just an fyi to make a spoiler tag it has to be     Spoiler:- label it:

so for example:     Spoiler:- message:

not to be an *** but a dragonite with fire punch like mine breaks this team

lead politoed

im guessing youd go perish song in which case i switch to sceptile with a ferrothorn switch id go HP fire youre dead in two hits 3 tops. next would probably be dragonite switch swampert ice beam dead in probably two esp if you DD. next Jirachi switch heatran fire blast most likely a OHKO depending on your evs. switch virizion. now comes my dragonite fire punch maybe two hits. lastly starmie I would go outrage but if you kill me I switch into a conkeldurr payback and its a OHKO. game me'

not to be an *** but a dragonite with fire punch like mine breaks this team

lead politoed

im guessing youd go perish song in which case i switch to sceptile with a ferrothorn switch id go HP fire youre dead in two hits 3 tops. next would probably be dragonite switch swampert ice beam dead in probably two esp if you DD. next Jirachi switch heatran fire blast most likely a OHKO depending on your evs. switch virizion. now comes my dragonite fire punch maybe two hits. lastly starmie I would go outrage but if you kill me I switch into a conkeldurr payback and its a OHKO. game me'
    Right. Drizzle team isn't a great idea now, just because I'm bored of all this forced Politoed thing. So I'll switch my ideas.
    Last edited by snivy trainer; 5th April 2012 at 3:14 PM.

I'm having trouble choosing team members for my UU team.

I've decided on:

Escavalier @ Choice Band
    {Swarm}
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Def
    Adamant Nature
    -Megahorn
    -Iron Head
    -Return
    -Pursuit

Arcanine @ Life Orb
    {Flash Fire}
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    -Flare Blitz
    -Extremespeed
    -Wild Charge
    -Morning Sun

I am going for an offensive approach, but with a few bulky pokemon to sponge the powerful hits, like Chandelure's Fire Blast and Azumarril's Waterfall and such.

Firstly, I need a way to deal with Zapdos and Moltres, which means I will need a good Stealth Rocker. I am using Arcanine, so Steels are just meh. Also, Escavalier might have to switch often, so a decent Rapid Spinner is needed, prefereably one that synergizes with my Arca-Valier core.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast