Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Building Help Thread

Magnezone and Physically defensive Zapdos? Lanturn mebe

"i unno man im just a pawniard"

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

If you use a Lanturn, then use Rotom-C. If you don't then use Rotom-W.

And to be honest, I prefer leftovers on Rotom-W but Specs on Rotom-C.

R.I.P The Crystalline Guard ~ Memories Are The Only Things Which Are Truly Eternal

Default Help me build a team around this Braviary?

Okay, I've been trying to make a thread but for some reason it won't show up. This is the first time I've trained and raised for competitive battles. I screwed up with the Nature, but I think I made a pretty decent work overall with this guy.
    I want to build a team around him but I honestly don't have the slightliest bit of an idea. I've been thinking about a Blaziken/Infernape for Sweeper, but I don't know how to get my hands on a Blaziken with Speed Boost, so I think Infernape will have to do. I also want to add a defensive Pokémon for balance. Maybe a Bastiodon with HP maxed out. Anyway, here is the Braviary:

Braviary

Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Nature: Lonely
    EVs: 255 Speed, 170 Defense, 85 Special Defense.
    Moveset:
    Return
    Superpower
    Shadow Claw
    Brave Bird

As you can see, he has a pretty decent Speed, and his already high Attack stat is boosted by his nature and even further by the Choice Scarf. Add the STABs to Return and Brave Bird, and you have a 1HKO practically every time, except against the types that resist it. In that case, Superpower can break Rock, Steel and Ice types, also most Electric types; and Shadow Claw covers Psychic and Ghosts' inmunity to Return.

Oh no he's a Homestuck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionClaw View Post
    Okay, I've been trying to make a thread but for some reason it won't show up. This is the first time I've trained and raised for competitive battles. I screwed up with the Nature, but I think I made a pretty decent work overall with this guy.
    I want to build a team around him but I honestly don't have the slightliest bit of an idea. I've been thinking about a Blaziken/Infernape for Sweeper, but I don't know how to get my hands on a Blaziken with Speed Boost, so I think Infernape will have to do. I also want to add a defensive Pokémon for balance. Maybe a Bastiodon with HP maxed out. Anyway, here is the Braviary:

Braviary

Moveset:
    Return
    Superpower
    Shadow Claw
    Brave Bird

As you can see, he has a pretty decent Speed, and his already high Attack stat is boosted by his nature and even further by the Choice Scarf. Add the STABs to Return and Brave Bird, and you have a 1HKO practically every time, except against the types that resist it. In that case, Superpower can break Rock, Steel and Ice types, also most Electric types; and Shadow Claw covers Psychic and Ghosts' inmunity to Return.
    No, just no. Go 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP, Braviary isn't bulky enough for Defensive EVs. He needs all the power he can get.

Braviary is LU, SB Blaziken is Uber. You can't effectively use them on the same team, and if you're playing Ubers, you might as well use Arceus-Flying instead of Braviary. A strong Ground type always pairs well with a Flying Pokemon, and Spin support from something like Hitmontop or Cryogonal is necessary too.
    Last edited by Divine Retribution; 10th December 2012 at 9:07 PM.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Uhh... I'm pretty sure I said it's the first Poke I've raised, so please don't be so harsh.
    I recently got a Rufflet with Sheer Force and Jolly nature. I will train him like you suggested and compare results. What is LU? What is Spin support? and why can't Blaziken and Braviary be in the same team? Sorry for so many questions... That's my nickname, after all.

Oh no he's a Homestuck.

Uhh... I'm pretty sure I said it's the first Poke I've raised, so please don't be so harsh.
    I recently got a Rufflet with Sheer Force and Jolly nature. I will train him like you suggested and compare results. What is LU? What is Spin support? and why can't Blaziken and Braviary be in the same team? Sorry for so many questions... That's my nickname, after all.
    I'm not being harsh, I'm trying to help you. If you can't accept any constructive criticism, then I would have to recommend that you don't ask for it. Spin support is any Pokemon that can use Rapid Spin, because the move Rapid Spin gets rid of Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rocks. Braviary is a Flying type and therefore loses 25% of his health automatically each time he switches into battle while Stealth Rock is on your side of the field. LU is a tier, since you aren't familiar with it I'm going to assume you're building a team for that mysterious tier people call "general competitive".

Your moves aren't actually that bad, however I must point out that Return has more power than Crush Claw. Shadow Claw + Superpower hits everything in the game for at least neutral coverage, and Brave Bird is a sturdy STAB attack.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Thanks! I know what tiers are, I'm just familiar with the Smogon ones, tho. I guess it's equivalent to RU?

So I think I will add a Cryogonal to the team, and a defensive Ground type. I will replace the Braviary for one with Jolly nature and the EVs distribution you suggested. Also, why can't I mix Pokémon of different tiers? I would be grateful if you explained it :P

EDIT: Cryogonal's Def. sucks. Maybe a Donphan? It complements Braviary and can take serious damage.
    Last edited by QuestionClaw; 11th December 2012 at 4:52 AM.

Oh no he's a Homestuck.

Thanks! I know what tiers are, I'm just familiar with the Smogon ones, tho. I guess it's equivalent to RU?

So I think I will add a Cryogonal to the team, and a defensive Ground type. I will replace the Braviary for one with Jolly nature and the EVs distribution you suggested. Also, why can't I mix Pokémon of different tiers? I would be grateful if you explained it :P
    You can, as long as the poke you want to add isn't on that tier's banlist

Okay guys! Electivire, Galvantula, Lanturn, Mow Rotom, Therian Thundurus, and someone else it is. As for who that someone else is, I don't know. I will say that I'm not interested in Zapdos as I already have 2 teammates weak to Rock, I have no access to one, and I'm not in the mood to hunt one down. The ones that do spark some interest are Eelektross (solid bulk, Levitate, and is a great mixed attacker with many moves to choose from), Luxray (strong Attack and great variety in attack types), Magnezone (due to its bulk and access to Light Screen, Reflect, and Volt Switch). Who to choose?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Luxray? Electivire?

Are we forgetting that Jolteon exists?

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
    Timid - Volt Absorb
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Shadow Ball

I guess you could use Magnezone or SubCM Raikou or something as well.

You'll probably want to run Rotom-W over Rotom-M, Rotom-W's Hydro Pump nails Grounds just as hard without the Sp. Atk drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    Luxray? Electivire?

Are we forgetting that Jolteon exists?

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
    Timid - Volt Absorb
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Shadow Ball

I guess you could use Magnezone or SubCM Raikou or something as well.

You'll probably want to run Rotom-W over Rotom-M, Rotom-W's Hydro Pump nails Grounds just as hard without the Sp. Atk drops.
    This is a mono-type team. I might be playing OU but I have some limits and decisions to consider, a lack of physical attacks being one of them. Also, I'm not the guy who's not nitpicky about IVs and Hidden Power so...yeah...my loss.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    This is a mono-type team. I might be playing OU but I have some limits and decisions to consider, a lack of physical attacks being one of them. Also, I'm not the guy who's not nitpicky about IVs and Hidden Power so...yeah...my loss.
    Everything I suggested was an Electric type, but okay.

Braviary

Moveset:
    Return
    Superpower
    Shadow Claw
    Brave Bird

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa now! He did say it's his first Competitive Pokemon. So at least give him complements of EV Training or at least trying to think of Pokemon for a Team.

Anyway, Hmm... there's only one team I can think of so far that I would suggest to make for Lonely Braviary. (Yes, Jolly/Adamant is better, but let's just focus on Lonely what we're actually trying to build a team around.)

- Baton Pass Team
    - Description: A Baton Pass Team. A Team that focuses on Baton Passing. It involves using moves such as Swords Dance, Iron Defense, Agility, Cotton Guard, Amnesia etc. and then Baton Passing to the desired Sweeper/Wall for maxmium damage/speed/defenses. So for Braviary, you could have 3 or 2 Teammates that have Baton Pass such as Scizor, Gorebyss, Ambipom, or Ninjask. I would reccomend Scizor because it can learn: Swords Dance, Agility, Iron Defense, and Baton Pass. Or Ninjask because of it's Speed Boost Ability and it can learn Swords Dance. To avoid damage with Ninjask, you can start with Substitute then set up with Swords Dance, then Baton Pass. (And have a move such as X-Scissor just for coverage and emergencies.) You just have to be careful with Baton Pass Teams when setting up and be careful of Pokemon with the move Punishment. (Punishment, The Dark Type, Physical Move. The more the opponents' stats are raised, the more damage Punishment does.) And your other 2 or 3 Pokemon could be Sweepers or Walls. Such as Infernape or Aggron. And when using Baton Pass Teams that have Agility, you really have to careful of the common Trick Room! That could destroy your team...

Here's a Teammate I suggest for a Baton Pass Team:

Scizor

Moves:
    Swords Dance
    Baton Pass
    Agility
    Substitute

Held Item: Mental Herb

EVs: 252 Sp. Def / 252 HP / 4 Def

Ability: Technician or Swarm

Oh wait, a Baton Pass Team would be good, a Mono-Flying Type Team, or some of your favorite (fully evolved) Pokemon would be good as well... Just try not to Double-up in types if you have your favorite Pokemon. (Exceptions to this are Pokemon like Garchomp and Camerupt.) Before I begin "making" the team, I would like to hear your thoughts. (: (Which is why I didn't give a full description on Scizor.)

EDIT: Also, I would not suggest Iron Defense when Baton Passing with Scizor as it leaves your opponent with more time to set up because you're raising a stat that does not need to be raised for Braviary.

But of you decide to use the Baton Pass Idea, then I encourage you to use it wisely! ^_^ Good Luck!
    Last edited by White_Roar~; 11th December 2012 at 8:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

I trained another one, this one with Jolly nature. I don't know how to discover the IVs but thanks to its Characteristic I can know it has either 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26 or 31 in Speed as its max trait. In any case, it's a major improvement regarding Speed if compared with the Lonely one. Same moveset and item, but this time I maxed Speed and Attack and spared the other 4 points in HP.

As Divine Retribution suggested, I will add a Spinner, maybe a Donphan to complement Braviary with its Ground type and high Defense. I still have to design it, but maybe it will be a Defensive Tank (functioning as a Spinner too).

I'm not pretty sure about the Baton Pass, mainly because it's a very fragile strategy. I will have to test it. Are there any good BP users with high defenses? that's my main concern, because if the BP user is taken down, it will break the chain and bring the whole strategy down with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked and Scizor is amazing. Now I just have to get my hands in one that isn't EV trained.
    Last edited by QuestionClaw; 11th December 2012 at 5:52 PM.

Oh no he's a Homestuck.

I trained another one, this one with Jolly nature. I don't know how to discover the IVs but thanks to its Characteristic I can know it has either 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26 or 31 in Speed as its max trait. In any case, it's a major improvement regarding Speed if compared with the Lonely one. Same moveset and item, but this time I maxed Speed and Attack and spared the other 4 points in HP.

As Divine Retribution suggested, I will add a Spinner, maybe a Donphan to complement Braviary with its Ground type and high Defense. I still have to design it, but maybe it will be a Defensive Tank (functioning as a Spinner too).

I'm not pretty sure about the Baton Pass, mainly because it's a very fragile strategy. I will have to test it. Are there any good BP users with high defenses? that's my main concern, because if the BP user is taken down, it will break the chain and bring the whole strategy down with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked and Scizor is amazing. Now I just have to get my hands in one that isn't EV trained.
    Hmm... If a problem does occur with the Baton Passing, then I suggest this format for your team:

2 Baton Passers
    2 Pokemon to Baton Pass to
    1 Pokemon as a sweeper
    1 Pokemon as a wall

OR

2 Baton Passers
    2 Pokemon to Baton Pass to
    2 sweeping or wall Pokemon

You see, just in case your Baton Passer(s) faint, you can still switch to Pokemon that are at least usable in battle. Which are the Sweeper or the Wall.

Just remember, only use this IF a problem occurs often.

Here are some Calculators that should be useful for you:

Stat Calculator: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php
    IV Calculator: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/iv.php
    Hidden Power Calculator: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/hp.php
    Damage Calculator: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/damage.php

These are all located at a website known as "Psypokes".

This the Serebii.Net IV Calculator:

IV Calculator: http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

On another note: Scyther, cannot be found in the wild in BW or B2W2.

I suggest asking to trade for one here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...er-212-Scizor&

I hope this helped! ^_^
    Last edited by White_Roar~; 11th December 2012 at 7:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic-Gothorita View Post
    Here's a Teammate I suggest for a Baton Pass Team:

Scizor

Moves:
    Swords Dance
    Iron Defense
    Agility
    Substitute

Held Item: Mental Herb

EVs: 252 Sp. Def / 252 HP / 4 Def

Ability: Technician or Swarm

Oh wait, a Baton Pass Team would be good, a Mono-Flying Type Team, or some of your favorite (fully evolved) Pokemon would be good as well... Just try not to Double-up in types if you have your favorite Pokemon. (Exceptions to this are Pokemon like Garchomp and Camerupt.) Before I begin "making" the team, I would like to hear your thoughts. (: (Which is why I didn't give a full description on Scizor.)

But of you decide to use the Baton Pass Idea, then I encourage you to use it wisely! ^_^ Good Luck!
    I don't see Baton Pass anywhere on that Scizor. I think you accidentally forgot to include it.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post
    I don't see Baton Pass anywhere on that Scizor. I think you accidentally forgot to include it.
    You're totally right! I must've forgotten! I'll edit that immediately!

EDIT: @QuestionClaw:

Also, if you'd like to have a Physically Defensive or Specially Defensive Rapid Spinner in your team, (It's not mandatory, although it is recommended due to entry hazards and partially trapping moves being common in Competitive Battling.) this is a list of all Rapid Spinners. (Some Pokemon are listed twice.)

This is a list of Physically Defensive Rapid Spinners:

Sandslash
    Torkoal
    Forretress
    Donphan
    Blastoise
    Hitmontop
    Starmie
    Claydol
    Cloyster
    Armaldo

This is a list of Specially Defensive Rapid Spinners:

Hitmonchan
    Hitmonlee
    Hitmontop
    Tentacreul
    Cryogonal
    Claydol
    Starmie

These are Pokemon that do not have a high stat but can use Rapid Spin:

Delibird
    Spinda
    Excadrill (Excadrill has high physical attack)

Here's a description on Rapid Spin:

Rapid Spin, inflicts damage and removes the effects of any moves that partially trap, as well as entry hazards, from the user and allies. The following moves are alleviated/removed by Rapid Spin:

Bind
    Clamp
    Fire Spin
    Leech Seed
    Magama Storm
    Sand Tomb
    Spikes
    Stealth Rock
    Toxic Spikes
    Whirlpool
    Wrap

PP: 40
    Base Power: 20
    Category: Physical

Rapid Spin is often seen in Competitive Pokemon Battles to remove the effects of entry hazards and partially trapping moves. Rapid Spin is often used by a Pokemon like Starmie. Rapid Spin makes contact with the foe, allowing the abilities: Flame Body, Aftermath, Cute Charm, Effect Spore, Iron Barbs, Mummy, Pickpocket, Poison Touch, Rough Skin, Poison Point, and Static to activate and take effect. Along with the held items: The Eject Button, The Red Card, The Rock Helmet, and The Sticky Barb to activate and take effect. Rapid Spin cannot be used for that turn if the opposing opponent has used Protect. And finally, it can possibly make your foe flinch when holding the King's Rock or Razor Fang.

If you choose any of the Pokemon listed, I'll be happy to give you a moveset for them.

I hope this helped too! (:
    Last edited by White_Roar~; 11th December 2012 at 9:30 PM.

You've been very helpful so far, Gothorita. Thank you.

I already posted a request for a Scizor in the Eggmove requests thread. I'll also post the request in the thread you provided.
    I have Braviary as a BP receiver, Scizor as a BPasser, and I can't decide between a hitmontop and a Claydol as a defensive Spinner.

Oh no he's a Homestuck.

You've been very helpful so far, Gothorita. Thank you.

I already posted a request for a Scizor in the Eggmove requests thread. I'll also post the request in the thread you provided.
    I have Braviary as a BP receiver, Scizor as a BPasser, and I can't decide between a hitmontop and a Claydol as a defensive Spinner.
    You're Welcome! :D I used to think Competitive Battling, Tiers, The Metagame, EV Training, IVs, Team Building etc. was way too much to learn but over time, I learned and now I like to teach people that are like how I was. I'm a Competitve Pokemon Mentor.

Anyway, I'll show you a set for both Pokemon and we'll see which one you like.

Now, before I get a set together, will this Hitmontop or Claydol be Specially Defensive or Physically Defensive? (I think you mean Physically Defensive by "defensive" but I just want to be sure.)

I can make a set for both Defenses if you'd like as well...

I'm indecisive between those two because they have both Def. and Sp. Def

Oh no he's a Homestuck.

Claydol has more defensive stats while Hitmontop can be defensive and offensive with the same set.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Hello.
    I am a huge noob at Pokemon.
    I was wondering... What Poke's would complete this team?

[spoiler]

Adamant
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6? HP.
    Moves;
    Blaze Kick (STAB),
    Aerial Ace (Coverage),
    Sky Upper Cut (STAB),
    ????

Jolly
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6? HP.
    Moves;
    Close Combat (Coverage),
    Brave Bird (STAB(Maybe different move; as it hurts Star too))
    Roost (Gets HP back after Brave Bird)
    U-Turn (Too get out).

Jolly
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6? HP (Not too sure with Exadrill).
    Moves;
    Earthquake (STAB),
    Swords Dance (Power Up),
    Rock Slide (Coverage),
    ????

Modest
    252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 6 Speed?
    Moves;
    Ice Beam (STAB),
    T-Bolt (Coverage),
    ????
    ????

Then a Wall, but I don't know many.
    And I just got a Eevee with Anticipation. Any clue which Eevee evolution would work in this team?[/spoiler]

Thanks for reading!

*Open to all suggestions. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Embodiment; 12th December 2012 at 12:50 AM.

Blaziken and Excadril are uber and Staraptor and Lapras would get absolutely destroyed in ubers.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Oh wow didn't know that.

How about Infernape?
    Adamant
    252 Attack, 252 Speed.
    Moves;
    Close Combat (STAB),
    Mach Punch (STAB and get-in first),
    Fire Punch (STAB),
    Grass Knot/Other Coverage Move.

And what's a good pokemon to replace Exadrill?

Thanks.

I used to play a little competitive pokemon but mainly in early diamond/pearl none in Black/White but I was building a team (why so long!? IDK!!!) but I love Zoroark and I even more so Love my Vaporeon so I am currently in the process of Obtaining a Drizzle toad. but Would Choice Spec Drizzle Toad conflict with my Life Orb Zoroark? bringing it up cause I run Flamethrower on him rather than substitute.

I also need a few suggestions since currently I would LIKE to run:
    Hydration Wall Leftovers Vaporeon
    248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
    rest
    scald
    roar
    (Ice Beam/Toxic not sure yet)

Choice Spec Politoad
    252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam/
    Focus Blast
    Surf

Nasty Plot Life Orb Zoroark
    252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Nasty Plot
    dark pulse
    Focus Blast
    Flamethrower

Im trying to think of physical sweepers that work WITH zoroarks illusion and the one of the only ones I can think of is Infernape (since he can learn Nasty Plot) and let them think SpA Infernape but real run the physical mach punch and close combat form. but team building has never been my strong suit and I am ready to bash my face into a wall. Some suggestions would be much appreciated and some feedback.
    all 4 of these are OU except for Zoroark which is UU but I have such great love for this guy and he is one of my favorite 5th gens (with that wonderful chandelure) I wish I would tell you exactly what I was going for with this team but my complete lack of knowledge makes it difficult to communicate it to you.
    3ds Friend Code: 4828-5538-3067
    Currently using: Pokemon Y and Alpha Sapphire
    Currently Breeding:

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast