Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't Colosseum and XD get more love?

Hybrid View

Default Why don't Colosseum and XD get more love?

Title explains it all really. I've just been wondering why more people haven't played the Gamecube 3rd Gen games. I've also heard that a lot of people don't like them as much as the GBA games. Why is this? Do people hate double battles that much? Are they just too used to playing the games on the Gameboy?

Limited Pokemon availability, unable to trade with GBA games until you've cleared the main story, and the fact that it's just not portable are pretty much the main factors.
    Gen1 Pokedex: 151/151
    Gen2 Pokedex: 251/251
    Gen3 Pokedex: 386/386
    Gen4 Pokedex: 493/493
    Gen5 Pokedex: 649/649

Quote Originally Posted by Maetch View Post
    Limited Pokemon availability, unable to trade with GBA games until you've cleared the main story, and the fact that it's just not portable are pretty much the main factors.
    This pretty much.

People expected a fully fledged Pokémon RPG on the home consoles, something that was completely unrealistic, or just upset because it wasn't their precious "Stadium 3"

Not to say that Colosseum and XD was a perfect game by any means but it was a solid good game.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Both games were really, really good in my opinion but like Maetch said, they lack a lot of things that make the main series games so great.

if you have some free time, check out my new updated song, ETERNAL NIGHT ~ last.fm ~ steam

Quote Originally Posted by Maetch View Post
    As Maetch has mentioned, these are very important factors as to why both; Gale of Darkness, and Colosseum don't get any recognition, or appreciation for that matter. I also see it as the fact that they're different from your average Pokemon Generation game. Which makes them more of an outcast than anything.

because games like Emerald DOMINATE over it.

To be perfectly honest, I have no clue.
    Grammar is important. Good grammar is the difference between, "I'm helping my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I'm helping my Uncle jack off a horse."
    So please, learn how to use it correctly.

Sincerely,
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by A Genius View Post
    Why Combsuken looks like a penis. It doesn't help that he is a chicken and male chickens are called....well you know lol

I could understand limited availability being an issue. The full fledged Pokémon RPG expectation also makes a lot of sense. But limited trading and lack of portability? What about actually playing through the game with the Pokémon you catch? And don't a lot of people get addicted to console games despite their lack of portability? Or is it just that weird for people to try and play a Pokémon game that you can't take on the go?

Because they're 8 years old, and people are obviously going to give more attention to the newer things.

My Friend Safari is Light type.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal15 View Post
    Because they're 8 years old, and people are obviously going to give more attention to the newer things.
    People still love the 3rd Gen games regardless. As proof I dare you to try and pick up a legit copy of any of the 3rd Gen games from a store. They're tough to get a hold of now because the demand for them is still high. I also don't give a **** about 4th or 5th Gen.

And that has nothing to do with how so few people liked these games when they first came out. My question is...why didn't more people like these games back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by CMD Calcio View Post
    And that has nothing to do with how so few people liked these games when they first came out. My question is...why didn't more people like these games back in the day?
    Well, I can think of a few possible reasons:

-The main games are always more popular than the side/spin-off titles. Many people simply don't give the non-main games a chance.

-The vast majority (or all maybe) of the Pokemon available in Colosseum/XD can be found in FRLG and Emerald (see above point). Yeah, Col/XD made it possible to get Ho-Oh and Lugia without an event, but I don't think *that* many people would've been interested in buying the games for just 2 Pokemon.

-The Gamecube did not sell nearly as well as the GBA, which probably hurt Col/XD's popularity a lot. And many people might not have felt it was worthwhile to purchase a GC just for Col/XD even if they thought those games looked interesting.

Those were some things I could think of off the top of my head. Personally, I really enjoyed Colosseum & XD and think it's a shame that many Pokemon fans haven't played them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    -The main games are always more popular than the side/spin-off titles. Many people simply don't give the non-main games a chance.
    Just curious. Why do you consider Colosseum and XD to be spin offs? I've always thought of them as main games since in both games you train and catch Pokémon like in the other main games.

Quote Originally Posted by CMD Calcio View Post
    Just curious. Why do you consider Colosseum and XD to be spin offs? I've always thought of them as main games since in both games you train and catch Pokémon like in the other main games.
    I don't consider them to be main games for a few reasons. First, while Colosseum and XD have training and catching Pokemon, some of the other key parts of the main games, such as earning badges and defeating the Elite Four, are absent in these games. Next, I think of the main games as being exclusive to handheld systems. And, it looks like Gamefreak views the main games as being only on handhelds too. Also, Col/XD were developed by Genius Sonority, not Gamefreak - and the main games are always made by Gamefreak.

Even though I don't consider Col/XD to be "main" games, I don't exactly call them "spin-offs" either. I call them "side" games, something in between main and spin-off games because as you said, Col/XD have more similarities to the main games (training, catching, trading, etc.) than spin-off titles do.

i liked doing the battle mountain, i found it was more enjoyable for getting my pokemon to level 100

Well, how would you fell if there were a pokemon game that:
    ♣Had no wild battles
    ♣Caught pokemon had to be de-shadowed
    ♣Couldn't trade until game was beaten
    ♣Not portable

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy0904 View Post
    i liked doing the battle mountain, i found it was more enjoyable for getting my pokemon to level 100
    Yea, I really enjoy that aspect of the game.
    Currently playing: Pokemon Ruby Team! (Broken internal battery :C)

Most recent shiny-

I ****ing love both games, their not perfect but they were still awesome -- Best home-console Pokemon games to date in my opinion.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, I'm not too surprised they weren't as popular as the main series games, as one of the attractions of Pokemon games was the portability. I liked them a lot but it wasn't without its flaws and did lack a few features from the main games that people are used to, such as wild Pokemon. (XD's 'wild' Pokemon boiled down to 'bribe them with cake').

And although it uses the same game mechanics, Colo/XD is regarded as a spinoff due to not being on handheld and not being made by Game Freak.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

It's probably because of the fact that it's different from the main games and not all are gonna like the fact every battle being double battles. I have to admit though that XD really was enjoyable, complicated yeah, but really enjoyable.

I think one factor is how long it takes. In all the other games you can go through with your main Okemon and beast it anywhere from 5-10 hours. (turning combat off, fast speech and knowing what your doing). These games take a lot longer compared to allthe portables. It also is a lot more of an RPG basis (it reminds me of Final Fantasy.) I think the games are neat though. n.n
    Black Friend Code: 3697 3078 7902

I always have available due to Emerald Glitch Cloning:
    MYSTRY Event Mew UT Hardy
    Shiny Spearow
    Shiny Trapinch

Spoiler:- Want List:

Hiring someone to Pokécheck for me!

Possibly because the pokemon you can catch are limited... You can't like catch 3 pikachu because of the steal system...

I love these two games! I just reoubght a Gamecube that came with XD GoD
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/122mflw.jpg[/IMG]
    Smile Forever

What people don't realize was that the limited amount of wild Pokémon (and Pokémon in general) you can obtain was intentional. Since trading between Generation II and Generation III games were not possible, Colosseum and XD were meant to be a way you could obtain some of those Johto Pokémon you were missing. XD also did a decent job of introducing Generation IV. Colosseum and XD are not and were never meant to be main series games. They're spin-offs, just like PMD, Ranger, etc.

TBTF EGC ACbay deviantART RNtMA
    Friend Safari: Shellgon, Gabite, Druddigon

3DS FC: 2320 6135 5667
    NN ID: TheUglyBarnacle

I didn't like them because they could have made a new Pokemon Stadium instead. I still played through them however.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeggutioner View Post
    I didn't like them because they could have made a new Pokemon Stadium instead. I still played through them however.
    Imo they were way better than Stadium.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

I personally loved colloseum and XD though I liked XD more
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

I have no idea! These are amazing games and I'm playing through both of them again right now!
    Within my lifetime, I've done a lot of walking. I started my journey walking on a little path called Route 1. Little did I know that walking down that route would lead me onwards to a road that went by the name of Victory. Just west of Victory Road, I walked up an entire mountain where atop stood a silent trainer who was one of the mightiest I had ever faced. I've walked, through sandstorms, across the hard desert of Hoenn. I've walked through pelting hail, across the snow covered terrains of Sinnoh. And now as I look back on all my travels I find myself walking across the Skyarrow Bridge of Unova. It took a lot of walking through tall grass patches to get where I am today...But it was worth the walk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast