Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't Colosseum and XD get more love?

What are you talking about? D:

I love playing Pokemon XD Its my favorite game :3

They were both great but I liked Collessum better b/c it had more Johto pokemon

Colosseum and XD are some of my favorite console games ever. I personally loved the Shadow Pokemon concept, and the games had a more mysterious, "mature" feel than the main series games up to that point. It was a nice twist on the traditional Pokemon game. Too bad my copy of Colosseum has gone MIA...

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Twilight
    However, there had been things that had simply been recycled from Colosseum, like the fact that all the shadow pokemon were still from first Gen, second gen, and third gen, and that some of them had already been in Colosseum.
    Well, Gen 4 hadn't come out yet when XD was released, so I don't know why they would have let you catch later-gen Pokemon. At least you could use Bonsly in Battle Bingo. Also, I don't think there were all that many Pokemon that were reused from Colosseum. Meditite and the Ledyba line are the only ones that come to mind.

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

I think it's mainly because Colo/XD weren't "main" series games in the sense that you went on that typical Pokémon journey that they aren't as popular among Pokémon fans. Which is really a bit of a shame in my opinion; both games were bringing something completely new to the series (what immediately comes to mind is both the ability to steal, rather than catch, Pokémon and the fact that the Orre region is much darker than any other area seen in a Pokémon game). Colo/XD have always been my favorite Pokémon games mainly for that reason, not to mention how long it would be before we would see a more sinister villainous team and characters as memorable.

But that's probably why Colo/XD aren't so beloved among Pokémon fans; they were just so different. And, according to many people, ,different = bad.

“If you think of someone's good qualities as the umeboshi in an onigiri, it's as if their qualities are stuck to their back! People around the world are like onigiri. Everyone has an umeboshi with a different shape and color and flavor. But because it's stuck on their back, they might not be able to see their umeboshi.”
    — Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

I want everyone who reads this to remember; you're loved. I don't care who you are; there's someone out there who loves you, someone who truly cares for you, someone who believes in you. Because, no matter who you are, you're special. Remember that. ♥

i bought a gamecube recently with col but the game was broke so i fixed it with a marker. now i can only play it every once in a while. but its fun when i play it.
    Es so Einfach wie Eins, Zwei, Drei.

Quote Originally Posted by Maetch View Post
    Limited Pokemon availability, unable to trade with GBA games until you've cleared the main story, and the fact that it's just not portable are pretty much the main factors.
    As Maetch has mentioned, these are very important factors as to why both; Gale of Darkness, and Colosseum don't get any recognition, or appreciation for that matter. I also see it as the fact that they're different from your average Pokemon Generation game. Which makes them more of an outcast than anything.

I personally liked GoD (haven't played Colo yet). It was fun and yeah like people said it was more RPG oriented than the other games where you just have the same thing. Also loved how the story was much darker than any other pokemon game of the time. The Gen III games were kinda dark in the aspect that a town was almost destroyed in Emerald and the other two were slightly in the middle. It was only il last gen when things started to get darker for pokemon with the (kinda) complete story of Cyrus and the lore and now things are seemingly at the darkest pokemon's ever seen in B/W 2 since you are actually almost killed by a madman (Ghetsis) who wants to freeze Unova and kill people at the same time so it's citizens can do what he wants. There's some part of me that thinks such is the leftover of what ideas Colo and GoD started which started that leeway for a more darker story in the main games, which I personally like. It's different than team rocket who was just in the business for the money and even greater than teams magma and aqua whom were in the business to expand their ideals of what the planet's surface should be like. As the story for Cyrus was basically him setting up team galactic so that he could create a world so perfect and tranquil because of his ruined childhood due to some war (IIRC) that ended up leaving his parents dead and him with his grandfather I believe. And now we're at Ghetsis whom acording to Akuroma's words, wants to "free" pokemon from humanity by forcefully subjugating humanity to release all of their pokemon that each person has.
    FL 2013 WINTER VGCs SENIORS TOP 8!!!
    Battle Videos: 76-46243-30729

Friend Code: 4124-5357-7452 PM me if you add.
    Safari: Flying
    Pokemon: Pidgey, Woobat, ?

2013 Winter Friendlies
    Win/Loss Streak: 21-15
    Battle Videos: 36-03893-83060 88-74442-00286 52-66455-14677

Pokemon Global Challenge 2013
    Win/Loss Streak: 10-9
    Battle Videos: 14-81671-46200 93-70560-35930

Spoiler:- :

See, games like Pokemon XD and Pokemon Colosseum have done wonders for my Legendary collecting. :3
    Still as sinister as ever,

Platinum Team in the works:

Quote Originally Posted by Kanethedragon View Post
    I personally liked GoD (haven't played Colo yet). It was fun and yeah like people said it was more RPG oriented than the other games where you just have the same thing. Also loved how the story was much darker than any other pokemon game of the time. The Gen III games were kinda dark in the aspect that a town was almost destroyed in Emerald and the other two were slightly in the middle. It was only il last gen when things started to get darker for pokemon with the (kinda) complete story of Cyrus and the lore and now things are seemingly at the darkest pokemon
    This is very very true. I think that's why I liked XD so much, the story line was interesting, rational, and above all, VERY dark. Certainly broke the boundary of a 'child's game' IMO. XD / Colo were very geared toward older generations. The entire 'Shadow Lugia' as the darkest, meanest, and most powerful Shadow was kinda a buzzkill with the Masterball. But it certainly got eyes on it. Overall, darker games are a lot more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeggutioner View Post
    I didn't like them because they could have made a new Pokemon Stadium instead. I still played through them however.
    Imo they were way better than Stadium.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

I was wondering the same thing too! Both Colosseum and Gale of Darkness were pretty good Pokemon games. The genre of the story and
    the concept of the purification system made me buy the game because it was so different compared to the main series.

HOWEVER Pokemon Emerald over shadowed the two. And also the Jirachi bonus disc and such XD
    Pokemon Shipper since the early 2000's!

Deviantart --> INNOCENTFATE

both were fantastic games
    imo, colosseum and xd had the best storylines in the pokemon series
    genius sonority knows how to make fun games

I love those games, they will always be my favorite. I agree with everyone when it comes to Colosseum and XD being more mature than the main series. I've always hoped that a new third addition would be announced, but I see nothing wrong with that. And if there is a new one to be created I'm debating that the final Shadow Pokemon to catch would be Mewtwo, Arceus, or Genesect.

I would just say the small amount of Pokemon, and how hard it is to catch most Shadows especially legendaries.

I loved these games, mostly XD.

* Hope when they comeout with another one, it will have more shadows (maybe 450) and purification will be easier.

I think that these games would have been more popular if they were ds or wii titles.
    I think this because of the fact that it was so frustrating to get pokemon from gamecube to gameboy. I really think the reason people like pokemon is the fact that they can play through ruby and using their other systems get their pokemon to black and white. I think that if these titles didn't require that cord that was annoying to get they would have been better known. I don't think I would have known about them if I didn't get the shadow lugia gamecube. The other reasons was that the marketing wasn't all that great and the fact you "snagged" pokemon was also a confusing and weird way to play pokemon. No wild pokemon was also strange, and I think that that and the shadow pokemon was why these are considered spin-off titles by some.
    This "Pokemon Rainbow" rumored game is already killing me. I want it!

Also, general nintendo fans will probably like my youtube. I make unboxings and collection videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EnragedSwalot?feature=mhee
    Thanks if you check it out

I can understand the unavailability being an issue, but not that big of an issue. The game hooked me almost instantly, and even though the lack of Pokemon was frustrating, I thought that the plot, characters, and graphics made up for it.
    I'm really gunning for a new one though for the Wii U. I would much rather have it than another Battle revolution.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ Why Alder is my favorite champion.

not portable, and we didn't get sequels in gen 4/5.
    Currently Residing in the orange islands.

Fire is the key to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguartail View Post
    not portable, and we didn't get sequels in gen 4/5.
    Actually, with the right equipment, it was portable indirectly, as in using one of the gen 3 GBA games as a trade partner.
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

Goodness, I loved these games (and still do)! Honestly, their few flaws are made up with everything else, in my opinion. I highly enjoyed being able to run around and catch Pokemon in a more 3D point of view. The story lines are great, too, and I really do wish Nintendo would make more of this type of game, only with more freedom to explore. :s

Xx|Divinity|xX

Well in the case of colosseum I think it's the massively restricted amount of Pokemon you're allowed access to in comparison to characters who actually use competitive teams (E.G: Electrode with soundproof teamed alongside Misdreavus with mean look and perish song) and the fact double battles dominate the entire game making it difficult to raise pokemon evenly while being extremely repetitive. I can actually live with those though because the plot it awesome and it's fresh for the franchise although I'd give anything to destroy the soundtrack.

Pokemon XD came with a host of other benefits like exclusive moves and Shadow Lugia which make the game incredible but unfortunately due to the fact Nintendo like short printing every game after 2 years it's risen in price and rarity.
    - My Sig was too Tall, so a Mod fixed it -

I love the games because we get an actual anime-esque battle sequence, which I absolutely adored since the handheld games lack that feature.

However, I still don't like it as much as the handheld games because of many reasons. Mostly the limited availability of Pokemon to train. In Colosseum the only Pokemon you can train are the shadow Pokemon you capture, and those are a pre-determined set that will always be your only options. In XD it's a little better in terms of there actually being wild Pokemon, but it's still severely limited. The lack of wild Pokemon also makes it a lot harder to train your team. Your only real option is to constantly go through Mt. Battle. But with that you can only make it so far with your weak Pokemon before you have to start over from floor 1 again just to build up more exp to level up enough to beat the higher levels and get more exp. It can be extremely tedious.

And because of the limited Pokemon, there's not very much to do after the main story is over, either. You can work on beating Mt. Battle, but that's about it. There's no post-story challenges to do besides purify the shadow Pokemon, and of course since the main goal is to capture and purify them, once you're done that's it. There are no other Pokemon in the game, there's no Pokedex to attempt to complete like the main series. Granted the main series has it's point where there's not much left to do either, but at least you can do as best you can on completing the dex, and with Emerald there's the Battle Frontier challenges to complete. Once you're done with those you can start over, and train a completely new team. With Colosseum and XD you can do the same, but there's still limited Pokemon to train and you'll most likely use the same general shadow Pokemon because many of them you won't be able to make use of, even in-game.

I do still enjoy playing Colosseum and XD, don't get me wrong. And as I said, I absolutely adore the battle sequences. But I can find a lot more fault with them than I do with the main series, and given a choice between a replay of Coloseeum/XD or a replay of Emerald/Fire Red etc? I'll choose Emerald/whatever main series any day. I mostly only replay Colosseum/XD when I'm REALLY bored and for whatever don't feel the mood to play the main series.
    ACCOUNT NO LONGER ACTIVE

Quote Originally Posted by soundxfury View Post
    I love the games because we get an actual anime-esque battle sequence, which I absolutely adored since the handheld games lack that feature.

However, I still don't like it as much as the handheld games because of many reasons. Mostly the limited availability of Pokemon to train. In Colosseum the only Pokemon you can train are the shadow Pokemon you capture, and those are a pre-determined set that will always be your only options. In XD it's a little better in terms of there actually being wild Pokemon, but it's still severely limited. The lack of wild Pokemon also makes it a lot harder to train your team. Your only real option is to constantly go through Mt. Battle. But with that you can only make it so far with your weak Pokemon before you have to start over from floor 1 again just to build up more exp to level up enough to beat the higher levels and get more exp. It can be extremely tedious.

And because of the limited Pokemon, there's not very much to do after the main story is over, either. You can work on beating Mt. Battle, but that's about it. There's no post-story challenges to do besides purify the shadow Pokemon, and of course since the main goal is to capture and purify them, once you're done that's it. There are no other Pokemon in the game, there's no Pokedex to attempt to complete like the main series. Granted the main series has it's point where there's not much left to do either, but at least you can do as best you can on completing the dex, and with Emerald there's the Battle Frontier challenges to complete. Once you're done with those you can start over, and train a completely new team. With Colosseum and XD you can do the same, but there's still limited Pokemon to train and you'll most likely use the same general shadow Pokemon because many of them you won't be able to make use of, even in-game.

I do still enjoy playing Colosseum and XD, don't get me wrong. And as I said, I absolutely adore the battle sequences. But I can find a lot more fault with them than I do with the main series, and given a choice between a replay of Coloseeum/XD or a replay of Emerald/Fire Red etc? I'll choose Emerald/whatever main series any day. I mostly only replay Colosseum/XD when I'm REALLY bored and for whatever don't feel the mood to play the main series.
    Yeah they aren't going to make another game like these I actually was even able to get a shiny modest zubat on XD 2 weeks ago so I love it even lore for him : D

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

personally i love pokemon XD (although i havent played colloseum) i think its an awesome game i constantly replay i was playing it just now. i used to love it so much i have a pokemon xd gamecube skin (yuss). i would accually enjoy another version of this with newer generations but that wont happen unless its for the wii and such, but it wouldnt be the same without the gamecube controller. it would be awesome but it mostlikely not happen. even if its not portable it would be just awesome to have another pokemon game like XD. certain aspects of the game dont match up to the main series i think its one of my favorite pokemon games, up there with my silver and soulsilver probobly because XD was one of my first pokemon games
    Last edited by colorless-winter; 29th September 2012 at 8:02 PM.

Well the graphics are wonderful and its awesome to see the 3 gen pokemon in 3D form. On the other hand, it does not have the same gameplay as the other pokemon games. Your also limited on what pokemon that you can get in the game. For example you can get plusle in colloseum but you can not get minun so you have to transfer one over. That sucks cause I never had the cord to plug into my gamecube.
    After you defeat the story and purify all the shadow pokemon, there's not much else you can do. I still love both games though.

My Deviantart *^*

Art by me
    3DS fc: 4725 8753 8888
    FS: Nosepass, Pupitar, Barbaracle

Because it's a side game. Most side games aren't as appreciated as the main games.

a very important video - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast