Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist & Agnostic Family

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    You know what, I think it's a manifestation of the really high reactivity right now between faith and atheism. Politics in the US seems to be in this exaggerated battle between the conservative Christian influence and the secular activism, and this has transferred over to England too. Anyway, the rhetoric is so well inflamed by media, and the internet is so full of loud voices, that both sides might feel compelled to profess their beliefs or criticize those of the other side as fiercely as if they were being personally confronted. Just speculation on my part, though.

In other news, one of my final paper assignments is a philosophical critique/review of either The God Delusion, God Is Not Great, or The End of Faith! It's going to be tough, but it's pretty exciting. ^_^
    Thats the fun part. The media has popularized the "clash" and many are starting to become in contact with new ideas, which is for the most part, a logically beneficial thing. It opens peoples minds
    Thunder Ghouls is getting low on members and we could use your support. Join us
    FC for Trading and Battling:2666 3899 5906
    Name: Azukan(happyface) Record: 3W-8L
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/344uwsj.gif[/IMG] I have alot of bred Deinos. They need homes.

My Best Friend Pokemon: Smashy Gorebyss Honchkrow     Spoiler:- Credits:

I wouldn't mind reading that review, Profesco =P
    THIS DAY IS GOING TO BE PERFECT
    Because love's in bloom~

"After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate

Hello. I'm from the old thread. I'm joining this one.
    Another introduction? I'm an agnostic-raised Jew/Unitarian Universalist. Both theists and atheists keep me on my toes. I don't understand deism, because I've barely heard of it. I'd love it explained to me. I learn quickly.

If you want to practice your arguments, I'm a decent debate partner.
    Zekrom, from dark stone
    A marvelous embryo
    Battle for ideals

If you despise chain messages, put this sentence into your signature.
    I use cheating devices, I breed to perfection, and I see Pokémon as useless if they have the wrong nature. Guess what? I still love Pokémon, especially the ones I capture, hack, breed, and/or train myself. All the extra codes and effort contribute to my affection for them. If you disagree, I love debate.

Quote Originally Posted by AzukanAsimbu View Post
    Thats the fun part. The media has popularized the "clash" and many are starting to become in contact with new ideas, which is for the most part, a logically beneficial thing. It opens peoples minds
    I agree completely that improving people's access to new ideas is wonderful, but I don't really think getting it done via the "infotainment" news media or the internet (edit: insofar as young people experience it, e.g. Youtube, Urban Dictionary, LiveJournal, etc.) is the best way. How much of "internet atheism" as we hear it described by Christians is polite, good ideas compared to how much is "God is stupid and irrational, lawl"? I'm not confident there's a 50-50 split. If I'm right and much of the fundamentalist Christian vocalizing is a reactionary defense mechanism to the perceived threat of advancing atheism, then the kinds of comments most young Christians are seeing on the internet or that make the news are going to make them want to unequivocally defend their faith from mean atheists rather than take a moment to step back and review it critically.

That's why I'm disappointed that the US news system so often delivers this issue as though it were a battle. They frame the issue so that critiquing faith is understood as attacking faith by the average conservative. And when someone feels they're being attacked, they automatically get defensive. There's little that's less conducive to open enquiry than knee-jerk defensiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeet View Post
    I wouldn't mind reading that review, Profesco =P
    Haha, if you say so. I'll try to remember to bring it here when I'm done. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Saberu View Post
    Hello. I'm from the old thread. I'm joining this one.
    Another introduction? I'm an agnostic-raised Jew/Unitarian Universalist. Both theists and atheists keep me on my toes. I don't understand deism, because I've barely heard of it. I'd love it explained to me. I learn quickly.

If you want to practice your arguments, I'm a decent debate partner.
    Deism is a kind of belief in an unspecific god - your standard "first cause." This deity is not personal, does not intervene in the mortal world, and doesn't demand things of people. It's just the being responsible for making there be something rather than nothing. Once the laws that govern the universe were set up, this being stepped back and let it all work itself it out.

(The Cliffnotes deism, haha. )
    Last edited by Profesco; 8th April 2012 at 8:12 AM.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Darato is offline ❤ ❤❤ ❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤❤[

Sorry for my lack of being here. Had a couple of issues to deal with offline. Those on my FB should know about them.

Anyways how about a nice small topic?

What do you plan to do on Easter Sunday?

I'm going out to eat with my parents, my aunt, cousin, and a family friend. My sister won't go if I'm going cause it's a religious holiday and I'm not religious.

Just to rub it in, here is where we'll be eating

L.F.D.

Easter's nothing much in India, so...not really doing much.

But HOH-LEE MOH-LEE, that looks like a bloody great restaurant.
    Because love's in bloom~

"After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate

Yeah having some nice dinner with the family aswell. :P
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Just been doing normal things as usual. As i am not religious easter is just a nice excuse for a vaccation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Had a nice dinner with my family this easter.
    No childish Egg-hunts this year

my whole family isn't really that religious so we just use it as an excuse for good food .

... There is a religious background to easter?

Sweet! Now I know what Agnosticism is. I guess I can call myself an Agnostic Atheist now.
    I'm glad I can find other people like me even on here. I'd like to join
    My tumblr or something: x

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    ... There is a religious background to easter?
    Apparently Jesus, through some necromancy, came back from the dead, and that day is called Easter. Where the rabbit part comes from, I have no idea.

Yep, a religious background.

I had to spend the day at the beach and work, so meh :P
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/344uwsj.gif[/IMG] I have alot of bred Deinos. They need homes.

If I remember easter is a collision of the day that jesus was resurrected after he was crucified and a pagan holiday celebrating the new life of spring. All the religious stuff regarding easter comes from jesus' cruifixtion, while all the little trinkets that come with it are symbolized by the pagans. Rabbits represented the new life of the season as does birds and the eggs. The cross and other "spiritual" items of the church like bells and candles have meaning referring to jesus as well. Nothing too spectacular really, just a celebration for most normal people. However, in religion it marks a season/period of lent and other long time periods of religious hoop-lah. Anyway my family normally gets together for a big meal but today was a normal day. I kept my distance from them and they from me like normal.
    Thanks, to the awesome artist of our clan, Team Nightmare, zek4040 for this AMAZING banner.

Leader of Pokemon Online's Scripted Server Tournaments channel

Pokemon Online is now on Android: http://pokemon-online.eu/pages/download/

Apparently Jesus, through some necromancy, came back from the dead, and that day is called Easter. Where the rabbit part comes from, I have no idea.

Dude I was about to say the same thing X_X. And everyone knows the rabbit part comes from the fact that it is a secret clue petrus the first pope was a rabbit. (Yes I saw that South Park episode yesterday)

Yea! South Park has all the answers

I just had a lovely discussion about religion and morality with a christian, like usualy it felt like argueing with a brick wall. However I did manage to get one point across he said that morality comes from religion, while I said it didn't then he began to give some example, like abortion an gaymariage and I said those where subjective. After giving him some story about how good and bad are subjective, he actualy gave in on that part. It was a very fun discusion though. I know the guy well and we can get allong fine as long as it isn't about religion. :P

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    I just had a lovely discussion about religion and morality with a christian, like usualy it felt like argueing with a brick wall. However I did manage to get one point across he said that morality comes from religion, while I said it didn't then he began to give some example, like abortion an gaymariage and I said those where subjective. After giving him some story about how good and bad are subjective, he actualy gave in on that part. It was a very fun discusion though. I know the guy well and we can get allong fine as long as it isn't about religion. :P
    I nearly laughed at that part.

Also, has anyone heard of FreeOK2012? Theres a secular convention in Oklahoma coming up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIbEu...c1FAAAAAAAAGAA

Guys this is why it would be bad if we ruled the world

L.F.D.

Just creepin round the forums, looking at this, and I have to say the dude in the hat is full of bs. The dude with the awesome hair and the know it all first guy seem like they have a bit of a valid point I guess. However, the last guy was just wow that kind of thinking just makes me think did he ever once think that's how we would think the world would be like if say christians ruled the world? Honestly, if he thinks that it'd only be under atheist rule that those things would happen day in and day out, maybe someone should recommend a shrink for the guy and his issues. Yikes, maybe it might be better if we ruled the world just to prove him wrong.
    Thanks, to the awesome artist of our clan, Team Nightmare, zek4040 for this AMAZING banner.

Leader of Pokemon Online's Scripted Server Tournaments channel

Pokemon Online is now on Android: http://pokemon-online.eu/pages/download/

These guys really don't think this. They are speaking from stuff they got from Christian forums

L.F.D.

I went to landoverbaptist today thinking it was real.

Luckily someone told me it was a troll site before all my brain cells committed mass suicide in protest.
    Because love's in bloom~

"After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

This reminds me of this.

jesus-lich-500x625.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by celestial phantom View Post
    The dude with the awesome hair and the know it all first guy seem like they have a bit of a valid point I guess.
    Whaaaaaat? @_@

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Geek View Post
    This reminds me of this.

jesus-lich-500x625.jpg
    Lmao. That sounds reasonable.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast