Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist & Agnostic Family

Darato is offline ❤ ❤❤ ❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤❤[

So today I got yelled at by a vegan for drinking milk, and got told that species should only drink the milk produced by their species, so I told her to start getting girls to live up at factories to get milked.

But it got me thinking. A lot of religions have food items they don't eat that is either a major or minor part of the religion, but in some cases it can help live a more health life.

How do this. The ones that don't force it but have stuff out there to help you and see healthier stuff.

L.F.D.

My biggest religious pet peeve (well at least one of the biggest) is when a friend or family member tells me to pray about my problems. I've prayed every day for "God" to help me deal with depression (yah I'm still depressed but at least I'm self reliant.) The problem for me is that I'm having personal problems in the relationship between my fiance and I. If I prayed for it to be resolved I'm basically sinning because it has to do with.......ahem.....pre-marital associations. Why would God help me with that when the bible says it's wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Clockwork universe? That's an argument for deism. They're typically trickier to deal with than arguments for a specific, personal god.
    I know pretty well that it doesnt necessarily spell out yahweh, but It didnt click in mind that it was a deist grounded argument until now. ill keep that in mind.

Also, don't be too disappointed if your counterarguments aren't "game-changing." The move from theism/deism to atheism (and vice-versa) is a full on gestalt shift; it can't be achieved by intellectual points alone. It's a revision of one's wordlview and is more resistant to change than the average opinion.
    When i say "game changing" I mean an argument that is well made and backed to the point that it completely throws a wrench in the oppositions argument. I dont think for a second it'll change their views right then and there at all, rather that it would be an argument to make the person squirm. Sounds kind of psychotic but the idea for me is to in a way set up the opposition to try and go into apologetic mode, there by using arguments that they dont whole heartedly accept or can easily make them see the the issues with their own system of beliefs. I believe making a person confront the issues with their beliefs on their own is a more efficient way of proving a point.

And yes, I've experienced the feeling you mention. I forget how counterarguments go more often than I'd care to admit, and that's not helped by the seemingly innumerable ways age-old arguments can be contorted into new shapes to make them sound convincing.
    Ah, you know my feels. Good to know.

What do you mean by referring to someone else, though?
    Like when some one already made a point that i would otherwise make Id either take that quote or refer to the entire post. Bear in mind im not saying that I would make a post just to remind some one that "hey, dude, just reminding you some one already refuted you", but rather id do this when Im replying to individual points of the opposition and of them happens to have already been refuted earlier, at which point ill make that clear instead of wasting my breath

So Obama is re-elected. This will most likely be better for the anerican athiests.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by Darato View Post
    So today I got yelled at by a vegan for drinking milk, and got told that species should only drink the milk produced by their species, so I told her to start getting girls to live up at factories to get milked.

But it got me thinking. A lot of religions have food items they don't eat that is either a major or minor part of the religion, but in some cases it can help live a more health life.

How do this. The ones that don't force it but have stuff out there to help you and see healthier stuff.

L.F.D.
    Darato! You just scarred me for life with that girl milking comment! D:

I am not completely sure about religous eating habits, but I do know that during certain Catholic days you are not supposed to eat meat of any kind, and the in the religon Islam there is a month where you cannot eat at all during daylight hours.

Quote Originally Posted by RainaXainne View Post
    My biggest religious pet peeve (well at least one of the biggest) is when a friend or family member tells me to pray about my problems. I've prayed every day for "God" to help me deal with depression (yah I'm still depressed but at least I'm self reliant.) The problem for me is that I'm having personal problems in the relationship between my fiance and I. If I prayed for it to be resolved I'm basically sinning because it has to do with.......ahem.....pre-marital associations. Why would God help me with that when the bible says it's wrong??
    If everyone prays to God to help them, then how can he? I don't care if he has omnipotent powers or whatever, he can't help every person who prays for his guidance and assistance. Does he help only those who sacrifice, or are willing to die for his sake? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    So Obama is re-elected. This will most likely be better for the anerican athiests.
    I didn't know he supported athiesm. Or did Romney have something against it?

Spoiler:- Some Things:

Moonlight Absol. That is exactly what I think. (regarding praying) If I prayed about every little problem I have, I come off as selfish, or not self reliant.

Quote Originally Posted by RainaXainne View Post
    Moonlight Absol. That is exactly what I think. (regarding praying) If I prayed about every little problem I have, I come off as selfish, or not self reliant.
    By God, everyone else, or both?

Both I would believe. Christians these days keep saying how hateful god is and how accepting he is. Ignorant BS I know.

As someone who's been somewhat hard hit by the recent hurricane/Nor'Easter combo that seems relentless, I am more than insulted to have heard a radio commercial recommending people seek prayer rallies or churches to help those effected by the Hurricane WITH PRAYER because food, money, FEMA and heat are much too passe! Let's let the good lord save them... because we all know how good Yaweh is with floods!

Currently on Hiatus

Very gracious thanks to Tezza for the Banner.

The Generic Story You All Probably Know… and Hate

It's 97% pure Parody, the other 3% is mockery!

Kertonmel: Sinsufficient Glory

A grand adventure, spoken in 2MB Colored glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Absol View Post
    If everyone prays to God to help them, then how can he? I don't care if he has omnipotent powers or whatever, he can't help every person who prays for his guidance and assistance.
    The thing is he IS(supposedly) omniscient. Explain to me how it is exactly that he can create an entire universe and fine tune each and every little aspect from the tiniest particle to the grandest galaxies yet still not be able to answer the prayers of the tiny population of an insignificant speck in a remote area of space?

No seriously, Im not being hostile here, Im seriously trying to understand that logic here.

Darato! You just scarred me for life with that girl milking comment! D:

I am not completely sure about religous eating habits, but I do know that during certain Catholic days you are not supposed to eat meat of any kind, and the in the religon Islam there is a month where you cannot eat at all during daylight hours.

If everyone prays to God to help them, then how can he? I don't care if he has omnipotent powers or whatever, he can't help every person who prays for his guidance and assistance. Does he help only those who sacrifice, or are willing to die for his sake? I don't know.

I didn't know he supported athiesm. Or did Romney have something against it?
    The democrats are generaly better for Athiests then Republicans.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by Dilasc View Post
    As someone who's been somewhat hard hit by the recent hurricane/Nor'Easter combo that seems relentless, I am more than insulted to have heard a radio commercial recommending people seek prayer rallies or churches to help those effected by the Hurricane WITH PRAYER because food, money, FEMA and heat are much too passe! Let's let the good lord save them... because we all know how good Yaweh is with floods!
    I can completely understand the fact that you are, well, pissed about that. Human stupidity is indefinate -_-

Quote Originally Posted by The renegade View Post
    The thing is he IS(supposedly) omniscient. Explain to me how it is exactly that he can create an entire universe and fine tune each and every little aspect from the tiniest particle to the grandest galaxies yet still not be able to answer the prayers of the tiny population of an insignificant speck in a remote area of space?

No seriously, Im not being hostile here, Im seriously trying to understand that logic here.
    The question isn't how, exactly, it is why he would. He gains no benefit from it, as far as I can see.

That is news to me. I should really pay more attention to politics.

Quote Originally Posted by The renegade View Post

I agree with you. Plus the fact that, why would God create all of the universe and ONLY fill one planet with life?? I'm a firm believer that we aren't the only ones in the universe. Who cares about evidence, the statistics show it's virtually impossible for only one planet that can support life actually has life.

That is stupid. Next time someone mentions to pray for you guys, I'll say nope I'm just gonna send something useful!

Good point, i would be pretty furious myself if somebody told me to pray away my problems.

As far as i understand from a foreign perspective this is indeed the case. So hurrah for Obama!

The question isn't how, exactly, it is why he would. He gains no benefit from it, as far as I can see.
    Hes supposedly a being that has complete unconditional love for his creation. Honestly what benefit would he have had from creating us at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Geek View Post
    Profesco that hurt, even though i am not American. Sharing it a bit around as i type.
    I have to report, sadly, that despite international efforts representative Broun was re-elected to Congressional office in the recent election for his 10th district in Georgia. The ballots were not unanimous, though:

...in addition to the write-in votes cast for [Charles] Darwin, the 10th District contest attracted a large number of other write-in ballots. “Votes” were cast in the race for “Anyone but Broun,” “Anyone else” and various permutations of that sentiment, with “Big Bird” and “Bill Nye, The Science Guy” also earning ballots.

Edit: Also, Christian science.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

So over a week into Obama being re elected and the world hasn't ended yet.

Amazing.

L.F.D.

No we have another month and a few days before that ; )

People though we'd die within the first few days

L.F.D.

Well how many other times has it been predicted that we'd all die?? Still hasn't happened.

Kids Without God (the teen version)

A new internet resource the American Humanist Association has put together to try offering support to child and teen skeptics.

Now, I've been looking over this site for the past hour, and my evaluation is mixed. There are some very nice things to see there, such as resources and suggestions useful for defending one's arguments or critically thinking about claims, and also a page or two dedicated to recommending respect, kindness, and tolerance for all views including those of the devoutly religious (as characterized by the theme of "don't call religious people idiots"). There are also a handful of resources for kids suffering all kinds of experiences, from bullying for their gender/sexuality to dealing with depression, eating disorders, or other psychological problems to "coming out" as secular to a religious community. All positives.

But I also notice that a few of their resources just reek of, for lack of better words, pandering or propaganda. Which, mind you, is not to imply untruth in their position, but to say that there is the occasional (maybe more than occasional) oversimplification of an issue or strawman characterization of the religious argument. There's a version of the site for young kids, for example, that uses a "Darwin the dog" construct that is just so cheesily patronizing and overtly one-sided... I'm a little embarassed by it - despite my sincere enthusiasm for evolutionary biology, even.

Any thoughts, you guys?

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

There have been many armageddon 'predictions' but I'll tell you one that's true, we're gonna be in a world of fudge if we don't stop those damn icecaps from melting!

Currently on Hiatus

Very gracious thanks to Tezza for the Banner.

The Generic Story You All Probably Know… and Hate

It's 97% pure Parody, the other 3% is mockery!

Kertonmel: Sinsufficient Glory

A grand adventure, spoken in 2MB Colored glory!

An Atheist group? I'm Christian myself, but I won't look down on anybody that isn't my religion. That makes me so upset, and sometimes embarrassed to be a Christian, especially when it even says directly from our Bible "Thou shall not force religion". I won't go off on everybody for having their own beliefs. I'm glad a group like this exists, an open group that usually would get so much hatred spewed at them. I would like people to convert, sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to hate people that don't/keep on pushing it. People believe in what they think is right, and that's how it should stay. So in regard to stereotypical Christians or other religious groups in general, keep on fighting the good fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinoyo View Post
    An Atheist group? I'm Christian myself, but I won't look down on anybody that isn't my religion. That makes me so upset, and sometimes embarrassed to be a Christian, especially when it even says directly from our Bible "Thou shall not force religion". I won't go off on everybody for having their own beliefs. I'm glad a group like this exists, an open group that usually would get so much hatred spewed at them. I would like people to convert, sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to hate people that don't/keep on pushing it. People believe in what they think is right, and that's how it should stay. So in regard to stereotypical Christians or other religious groups in general, keep on fighting the good fight!
    That was a pretty tolerant statment, kudos to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Geek View Post
    That was a pretty tolerant statment, kudos to you!
    Thank you! => But the fact that the statement IS tolerant is disgusting to me. It should be the standard for how people think and interact with each other on a daily basis. It shouldn't have to be labelled as tolerant. The average person is just so horrid at heart and understanding that what should be a regular attitude towards all beliefs other than your own is now classified as a rare opinion.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast